1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Need help with Team Building!

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Simply, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Simply

Simply

Hello, I have currently switched from playing OU to VGC. OU just got a little boring for me so I am in the process of building my VGC Gen 6 team. Here is what I have been messing with on the simulator:

Politoed @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Calm Nature
    - Protect
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic

Kingdra @ Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Protect
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Harvest
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Leech Seed
    - Horn Leech
    - Protect
    - Phantom Force

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Quiet Nature
    - Trick Room
    - Shadow Ball
    - Psyshock
    - Recover

Scizor @ Steel Gem
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Acrobatics
    - U-turn

Sylveon (F) @ Light Clay
    Ability: Pixilate
    EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect
    - Hyper Beam

Basically the idea behind the team was to have Politoed for drizzle so the rain would boost Kindra's speed while also nerfing fire attacks for Trevenant and Scizor. My last slot is open to anything, but I want to keep it as a fairy type because it can switch in for Kindgra if I think the other team is going to try to use a dragon move.

The first three pokemon I listed I think I want to keep, but I am looking for opinions on stats/items/moves. I might want to find a different trick room setter (possible Gardevior), as well as something else to take scizor's place. This gen took superpower away from scizor and I really need some hard hitting physical attacks on this team.

What are your suggestions? Should I scrap the whole team and start over?
  2. TheMantyke

TheMantyke DISRESPECT YOUR SUPERIORS
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

To be completely honest, I'm a bit surprised to hear you've been using this team much at all considering the Steel Gem isn't available at all in gen 6, but that's besides the point.

Politoed's still pretty neat in VGC 2014, but you need to be certain you have things on your team to appropriately deal with Rotom-W and Amoonguss who will make your life generally unpleasant spamming water type attacks. There's also the threat of Charizard-Y and Tyranitar who make your water type attacks fairly underwhelming under other weathers.

If I were you, I might swap out Trevenant for Amoonguss to help deal with Rotom-W and give you some welcomed disruptive support, swap out Sylveon for a Mega Mawhile to not only give you solid switch in opportunities to kingdra but give you a mega Pokemon to work with, an answer to Tyranitar and Intimidate before the mega, and to switch Scizor out for something else due to the overlapping niches of Mawhile and Scizor. What would go in Scizor's place I'm not entirely sure, but something that can deal with charizard y and amoonguss comfortably might be ideal. If amoonguss becomes a particularly large problem, you could also consider running overcoat instead on reuniclus

I feel like a lot of newer rain teams get caught up in needing and expecting rain to be up at all times, but rain is just like almost every other set up and it's never completely reliable. A lot of newer players try to build full on rain teams that struggle with Rain's hard counters which I would advise against completely. You've dodged this trap nicely so far, but make sure to be warey of it as you continue to build your team!
  3. Simply

Simply

Thanks for the help! Just so you know I haven't had any issues with mega charizard yet. One of my goals is to keep politoed alive so after the initial rain, I can throw him in again after charizard comes out and it makes him completely useless. I'll definitely take your advice into practice and look for a good fighting type to add in!

I know snorlax isn't in the limelight anymore, but how do you see him on a team if I'm running trick room? He has access to superpower, pursuit, rest, body slam, fire punch, ice punch, thunder punch.
  4. Jozef

Jozef

I recommend a fighting type. I've played a lot with galade, hariyama, conkeldur, and scrafty on my trick room builds and they each have their ups and downs. Fake out is nice via hariyama/scrafty, but galade can get shadow sneak as an egg move, and conk has mach punch and a ton of power. If you'd like some practice I'm always down for a vgc battle, feel free to pm me.
  5. Xlstevo

Xlstevo

Hey Simply, I have a little some tips that can make your VGC team even greater. Before I do so, I like the rain team idea with the Swift swim and drizzle combination.

Let's start with politoad, with focus sash to be honest is not the greatest thing. Since you invest some EV's to the SpD there should be no focus sash. Overall, the pokemon (politoad) with focus sash is something I would not really recommend. The move set seems to be solid except for toxic. Toxic is not really the best move to have on politoad because usually vgc battles/matches don't go for so long as in ou. However, toxic can break many trick room teams and stall pokemon so I do seem some use for it .

The Kingdra set seems to be pretty decent with the addition of swift swim/drizzle combination. Also with that Life orb plus the EV's you invested on Kingdra's SpA packs a huge hit. However, try swapping out dragon pulse with Draco meteor for some time to be safe. Even though Draco meteor decreases SpA, it can guarantee at times a one hit ko.

As for trevant, I suggest as TheMantyke previously said before swapping it for Amoongus. Amoongus can provide great coverage in combination of politoad. Since a Kingdra/Politoad lead is very common in VGC, it's great to have a bigger variety to deal with pokemon leading with. Amoongus with Rage powder/GigaDrain/Spore/??? Would be a great asset to your team. RagePowder can make Amoongus take hits that would be x2 effectiveness on Politiad such as, Electric and Grass. Since Amoongus has a pretty decent SpD and most Pokemon that have electric and grass are usually SpA moves, it makes it quite difficult to beat those to combination pokemon.

Hyperbeam, is a move people don't normally use. Sure it has great power, but the re-charge can make your opponent set up a free turn into doing something.

I would suggest a great replacement for sylveon is Mega-Medicham or Mega-Mawile. These two poke are both really great physical attacking fairy types which is really uncommon with fairys types. A fake-out from both of these pokes can flinch a pokemon and provide a decent amount of damage which can give you an edge in a battle. Not only that but they both have a crazy good attack in combination of huge power.

If you would like to test your team at any time, feel free to pm me.
  6. moist quagsire

moist quagsire

I apologise in advance for my speeling i am dyslecsic
    Lattly I've been finding it that drizzle is slightly underwhelming, as far a having to pac a politoad goes, he dosent abuse his great power... no he sits there toxic stalling and shitting his pants whenever a freeze dry lapras comes along... espeshaly on rain teams (as they lac a mega weather summoner) I think that the weather rocks on a standard weather abusers can be just as strong if not stronger than self setting weather, damp rock heleoisc fills this roal verry well on a team such as yours, and in the VGC meta game to start with, because It is modulated and provides an additional hard rain abuser and dosnt share alot of weaknesses with your kingdra, who im amusing is the one doing the sweeping, It dosn't get compleatly blocked by slower weather setters or the mega evolve sand stream tyranatar boasts, and with surf on your kingdra can be soaking up all that nice juicy surfs and turning it into much needed recovery.

just my thoughts probs garbage... meh good luck

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)