Nepal Earthquake 2015, more than 1000 died

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...-worst-tremor-80-years-kathmandu-live-updates

I think it would be nice to spread some awareness, and in this thread we can discuss where we donated.
Please share where you have donated, thanks.

Currently know that Unicef accepts donations to Nepal.

------------------

A brief summary:
  • More than 1,000 people have been reported dead after a huge 7.9 magnitude earthquake hit Nepal
    • 36 people have also been reported dead India, 12 in China, four in Bangladesh and six in Tibet.
    • The quake caused dozens of buildings in Kathmandu to collapse, including the historic Dharahara Tower.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Facebook has launched their safety check service so people in the affected areas can let friends and loved ones know they're ok with the press of a button. If people outside the affected areas can also use it for some reason that will explain the random notifications, I would test it but I don't want to be an asshole who misuses it and floods his friends with false alerts.

Cresselia~~

For those living in USA, you can donate in these places:

American Jewish World Service: ajws.org

The Salvation Army: salvationarmyusa.org

International Medical Corps: internationalmedicalcorps.org

Handicap International: handicap-international.us

Unicef: unicef.org

PayPal: paypal.com

Mercy Corps: mercycorps.org

Catholic Relief Services: crs.org

Habitat for Humanity International: habitat.org

Global Giving: globalgiving.org

The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee: jdc.org

Oxfam: oxfamamerica.org

World Vision: worldvision.org

Red Cross: redcross.org

United Nations World Food Program: wfp.org

Samaritan’s Purse: samaritanspurse.org

CARE: care.org

Save the Children: savethechildren.org

Lutheran World Relief: lwr.org

The Jewish Federations of North America: jewishfederations.org

SOS: Children’s Villages International: sos-childrensvillages.org

Doctors Without Borders: donate.doctorswithoutborders.org

MAP International: mapinternational.org

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So... Just browsing the BBC news site over lunchtime and I find this article:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32472310

Scientists were in the region within the last month, studying the effects of the last Earthquake that hit the region. They presented the findings two weeks ago and then the Earthquake happened on Saturday. How ridiculously freaky is that?!

Cresselia~~

So... Just browsing the BBC news site over lunchtime and I find this article:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32472310

Scientists were in the region within the last month, studying the effects of the last Earthquake that hit the region. They presented the findings two weeks ago and then the Earthquake happened on Saturday. How ridiculously freaky is that?!
They can predict that something's going to happen, with technology and knowledge. But they don't have the exact information.
Moreover, the reason why so many died is because of the badly built buildings.
If I remember correctly, people are killed by the secondary effects of Earthquake instead of primary effect. I don't think the primary effect has ever costed any lives.

EV

Banned deucer.

The tower mentioned in the OP was once destroyed by another earthquake in 1934. Apparently there were two towers, which were both damaged in 1834 during their first major earthquake, just two years after this tower was completed. The earthquake of 1934 completely destroyed one tower and leveled this one down to its second story. The Nepalese prime minister had it restored and it stood until this last earthquake demolished all but the base during the lunch hour, killing 180 people. This is how it looks now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharahara

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)