Project NeverUsed Teambuilding Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Took the idea from Doubles.

NeverUsed Teambuilding Workshop

What is this?

Just a little project I wanted to do. I like to build teams with other people because sometimes they can come up with ideas that I wouldn't have thought of, which is always nice :). Hopefully, new players will come hang out with us to see how we teambuild, what we usually prepare for when making a team, etc. Another thing I want to do with this project is show players that usually use the same ~10 Pokemon that it isn't hard to get out of your zone of comfort when teambuilding and that there's nothing wrong with building around some underrated threats!

How will this work?

I want to make this as simple as possible. Obviously when building a team, we need an idea. I want you guys to submit some cool Pokemon (It can be one Pokemon. It can also be two Pokemon if they work well together, but if you do submit two Pokemon please try to not submit something that may limit our options when we will teambuild). After some days, we will have a small vote (or maybe I will pick it myself, we will see) to decide on what we want to build around and then I will try to find a time where we could meet up and build this!

If you submit a set with the Pokemon and we vote for the Pokemon, it doesn't mean we will build around that exact set. If you do add a set it is only to give ideas (ex: some innovation aka a set that not a lot know about that can be good in this metagame).

Where will this happen?

I want to do this on IRC. Why? Why not. It will be easier for everybody to discuss about the team on IRC than in a room with over 70 people that will probably not care about this :(

How often will those workshops happen?

We will try to do this once or twice per month.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ok you guys can submit your ideas. It can be one or two Pokemon. If you submit two, please make sure they work decently well together and don't limit our options too much when building around them. You can also submit a playstyle along with the Pokemon.

Also for those who might get confused, I plan on doing the first teambuilding workshop before ORAS comes out.

Drifblim @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond

My choice:
The criminally under appreciated drifblim used to be a top tier threat in bw2 and although it has lost its precious flying gem this gen, it still has the same key features which is what made it so good.
Will-o-wisp to cripple common switches, acrobatics as an easy to spam stab move, sub to get down to sitrus range and get an unburden boost and dbond ultimately to guarantee a kill every time it gets its boost.
Its probably, THE, best Pokémon ATM that hasnt been used extensively. It can run several sets which is part of what makes it so scary and is typing is p nice as well boasting 3 immunities
Solid Mon to build around and has genuine presence (even though people argue that it doesn't)

Edit: hopefully this can be an avenue for it to be QC checked :]

Last edited:

Drifblim @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond

My choice:
The criminally under appreciated drifblim used to be a top tier threat in bw2 and although it has lost its precious flying gem this gen, it still has the same key features which is what made it so good.
Will-o-wisp to cripple common switches, acrobatics as an easy to spam stab move, sub to get down to sitrus range and get an unburden boost and dbond ultimately to guarantee a kill every time it gets its boost.
Its probably, THE, best Pokémon ATM that hasnt been used extensively. It can run several sets which is part of what makes it so scary and is typing is p nice as well boasting 3 immunities
Solid Mon to build around and has genuine presence (even though people argue that it doesn't)

Edit: hopefully this can be an avenue for it to be QC checked :]
Well, drifblim can be equally as effective. For example most teams' checks to ghost types are that of hariyama, so the combination of shadow ball and acro would be insane. Also weakness policy as an item isn't a bad idea either as a potential sweeper. Good suggestion imo, a lot of versatility.

Sawk (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

My personal suggestion.
Reasons:
It can destroy balance / stall / bulkier teams in an instance. Apart from fairies which can be dealt with by team mates, you can kill the poison types that attempt to switch in with combinations of knock off / CC then an appropriate secondary killer. It's the under-rated fighting type right now in the tier since yama is on every team but a non choiced sawk is very dangerous now spiritomb is gone and fairies aren't overly relevant since puff has decreased in use due to the amount of poison types and bulky calm minding psychic types that can beat it in a calm mind war.

Last edited by a moderator:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE

Articuno @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane
- Roost
- ??????????

Bird :toast:

Ice / Flying is great coverage and dealing with Steel-types isn't that hard when most of them only have Leftovers for recovery.

I also would like to know if you guys prefer if we do the live teambuilding on Sunday (which means 1 day to vote) or during the week (you can vm me or Teddeh / tell us on PS! / reply in this thread / whatever you prefer). Sorry if this feels kinda rushed :(

Simipour @ Life Orb
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

My reasoning:
Simipour has been a personal favorite of mine for a very long time, and for good reason. This pokemon has a lot going for it, like its amazing speed tier, unresisted coverage, and the ability to set up with nasty plot. It's a very cool and underrated mon.

(Also, I'm fine for when ever)

Simipour @ Life Orb
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

My reasoning:
Simipour has been a personal favorite of mine for a very long time, and for good reason. This pokemon has a lot going for it, like its amazing speed tier, unresisted coverage, and the ability to set up with nasty plot. It's a very cool and underrated mon.

(Also, I'm fine for when ever)
Ewww gluttony, torrent ;)

Torrent and nasty plot aren't legal, so you'd have to run a scarf set or something if you wanted torrent

upload_2014-11-12_17-33-45.png
+
upload_2014-11-12_17-34-48.png

Sand is a really underused and under appreciated playstyle right now. The fact you can run this core on all sorts of teams is what makes it appealing for this kind of project. Offense, Balance and Semi-Stall are all different types of team archetypes that hippo + dog can fit on. All in all it's a really fun core that works well together that I think the NU community needs more exposure to.

If all else fails we have Scarf Gatr

Last edited:

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Frogadier @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 36 Atk / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- U-turn

Offense.

STAB everything is kinda cool, decent speed tier too. its not weak as piss like the scarf version queen's been running.

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
- Scald
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock / Ice Beam
- Defog

HO. Prinplup offense is just awesome, because it lets other HO mons like Scyther, Typhlosion, Jynx, Pyroar, Archeops, etc. succeed and is a great gluemon, yeah Prinplup offense is p cool rn.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Sneasel @ Eviolite/Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Really underrated speedy poke that can really damage upper level threats in the tier with great priority and fairly good bulk with eviolite. Hariyama is a big problem for it tho.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp / Tbolt
- Trick

Offensive thing, can act as a glue that holds teams together sporting many useful immunities and instant momentum :]

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump/Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I like this Ludicolo set because it's a bulky alternative to the more popular Swift Swim set. I chose Giga Drain for recovery, which is almost a necessity on an Assault Vest set. I chose Hydro Pump for power, but Scald is always good with its seemingly 100% burn chance. Of course Ice Beam is there to grass types really hard. And finally, Hidden Power Fire is there for Ferroseed.

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump/Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I like this Ludicolo set because it's a bulky alternative to the more popular Swift Swim set. I chose Giga Drain for recovery, which is almost a necessity on an Assault Vest set. I chose Hydro Pump for power, but Scald is always good with its seemingly 100% burn chance. Of course Ice Beam is there to grass types really hard. And finally, Hidden Power Fire is there for Ferroseed.
There is little reason to use AV Ludicolo. It is completely outclassed by both its offensive and defensive counterparts, one of which has infinitely more firepower and speed under rain and the other of which can actually tank moves. Ludicolo's AV set is also completely outclassed by AV Politoed, a bulkier alternative with the same offensive stats and a added fire resist and water immunitiy. Simply put, there isn't a niche for AV Ludicolo anywhere in NU atm.. :/

im a bully

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There is little reason to use AV Ludicolo. It is completely outclassed by both its offensive and defensive counterparts, one of which has infinitely more firepower and speed under rain and the other of which can actually tank moves. Ludicolo's AV set is also completely outclassed by AV Politoed, a bulkier alternative with the same offensive stats and a added fire resist and water immunitiy. Simply put, there isn't a niche for AV Ludicolo anywhere in NU atm.. :/
a side note is that other bad AV users like Seismitoad completely shit on QueenOfLuvdiscs so theyre not completely without merit

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
You know, we aren't voting for a set, but on a Pokemon lol. If we do choose to build with Ludicolo it doesn't mean we will use his set. All a set does is give us ideas (especially if its some nice innovation). Forcing ourself to build around a set in particuliar can limit teambuilding which is something we don't want.

Sneasel @ Eviolite/Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Really underrated speedy poke that can really damage upper level threats in the tier with great priority and fairly good bulk with eviolite. Hariyama is a big problem for it tho.
Love it <3

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Roost

I feel like Scyther is a really underrated mon currently. While the 4x weakness to Stealth Rock may seem unappealing to many players, Scyther's strong Attack backed by Technician and great Speed make it a powerful offensive threat if you can control the hazards. Also, with an eviolite it is really damn bulky and with max HP its really hard to KO it unless its a rock types attack or something really strong like Typhlosions Eruption. While SD is probably the best set rn, a banded or scarf set certainly isnt terrible.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Jynx (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam

I think Jynx is a really cool mon and highlighting its advantages over other psychis like Mesprit, Uxie, and Musharna would be a great idea for the work shop.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Gogoat @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: ???
??? Nature
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake

Gogoat is a really bulky Pokemon that sets up on a lot of Grass-types which are everywhere atm. I think some people were talking on irc about it too but i dont think a lot of people have built around it. Gogoat sounds like a really cool mon to explore.

A lot of cool ideas already! I'm liking Drifblim and Articuno a lot, and SD Sneasel is really cool too. However who the hell would build around Scarf Rotom what're you thinking TCW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)