New and 'creative' moveset/EV spread thread Mk. 5

Towards the ambipom... so what you're suggesting is that ambipom comes in fakes out and quick attacks, which essentially counts as one move because they're both high priority and fake out flinches... wow... that's pretty nice... and with that in mind, I was getting slightly higher calculations. With your setup, against wishbliss, I was getting 70-82% Pretty nice...

As towards the MG/Gallade post earlier... That's a pretty elaborate strategy that is easily fallible. Seriously, in double battles, there are two pokemon attacking, meaning if they both target one of your pokemon (gallade, for instance), he's dead and that whole setup means nothing. Not to mention, I don't understand the whole concept behind that. MG's berry heals the poison making facade useless... Plus, do you know how much damage MG could be doing instead of supporting gallade? Quite a bit. Especially since his attack is higher. It'd do better if you gave gallade helping hand, I'm sure MG would do far more damage that way than gallade would with your aforementioned strategy (assuming you get time to pull it off.)

...and stealth rock isn't going to do much, especially after that whole ordeal. I mean, it is a double battle with only 4 pokemon. It's going to go by much quicker than your standard single battle and there will be a whole lot less switching because, again, with 2 pokemon, it's harder to predict what's going to happen. Your stealth rock may hit 3 times... maybe. Again, doubles is a completely different beast.

I was looking for a solid lead that could rapid spin AND set up stealth rock (sorry Starmie) while not being complete fodder (sorry Forry). I found Donphan.

Donphan@Focus Sash
Adamant
80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Ice shard
-Assurance/Earthquake/Seed Bomb

Moves are self explanatory, except seed bomb can 2HKO swampert 100% of the time. Ice shard deals with Aerodactyl, Assurance with azelf. Focus sash allows you to tank out strong dracometeors, hydro pumps, leaf storms, and either set up or attack back.

Assurance + Ice Shard Takes down Azelf
Seed Bomb 2HKOs Swampert
Ice Shard does 43-51% to Aerodactyl (two ice shards + Rapid spin can KO)
Earthquake does max 87% to metagross/ground weak lead, switching out to a ghost to take the explosion

The point is to set up stealth rock and get back later and rapid spin for there is limited space for rapid spin on an offensive team that already uses or has no room for starmie.

The speed evs outpace 8 spe metagross, swampert, hippowdon, bronzong, ect.

This is all theory, what do you think?

Ok, I tried it out. If it carries the right moves, it can take out the appropriate lead, but suffers from moveslot syndrome.

I've thought about using a set like this before and the main reason I never tried it was because it straight up loses to Azelf. Assurance will only have 50 base power since Azelf isn't taking any damage beforehand so It only does 52.2% - 61.9% to standard suicide lead Azelf... you can't even 2HKO it with Assurance + Ice Shard meaning it can set up Stealth Rock on turn one and explode on turn two to stop you from spinning. If you want to use this set I'd recommend pairing it with something like Scarf Tyranitar to make sure you can effectively deal with Azelf.

Towards the ambipom... so what you're suggesting is that ambipom comes in fakes out and quick attacks, which essentially counts as one move because they're both high priority and fake out flinches... wow... that's pretty nice... and with that in mind, I was getting slightly higher calculations. With your setup, against wishbliss, I was getting 70-82% Pretty nice...
Also just noticed that Fake Out + Quick Attack KOs Azelf most of the time, rising to 100% with Adamant over Jolly (not unreasonable if your main attacks are priority). That means you can switch to Ambipom against Azelf leads while their Taunt/SR, then Fake Out and Quick Attack to destroy Azelf before it can explode (or set up if it used Taunt first).

Generally, Adamant is probably better than Jolly if you're just going to be using the priority for revenge killing. Although I suppose being able to outspeed non-Scarf Latias and Gengar for the KO with Pursuit would be nice. The only difference in speed coverage is that Gengar, Latias and Infernape will outspeed you, and you can't speed-tie Starmie and Azelf. Of those, only Infernape ever uses priority, and that's pretty rare outside of the lead spot.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Ambipom doesn't learn quick attack. As a reminder to everyone here: you're supposed to test your sets before posting them here.

Here's an Azelf I've been using lately, I don't know if this qualifies as "new", but it's very effective for me so far.

Trick Elf
Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

~ Trick
~ Stealth Rock
~ Explosion
~ U-Turn

Azelf's Atk stat is usually overshadowed by its Sp. Atk, even though they have the same value. But that's not the point of this set.

This Azelf is meant to lead, but not to suicide lead. First, the obvious. Trick is there to disable some common walls, as well as some common leads. Choice Scarf shuts down Suicide Aerodactyl and Azelf, as well as Baton Pass Ninjask (not the Protect kind). If the enemy lead is an uncommon lead, or one that would benefit from the Scarf, then U-Turn helps scout the enemy, as well as preserving the Choice Scarf for future use. Explosion can take out a lot of Pokémon once Azelf's job is done.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Trick-scarf Azelf lead is not exactly what call I innovative. Iirc the set with u-turn and explosion was pretty common a few months ago, then people started using fire blast\psychic for Metagross\Swampert.

Here is a Lucario set:

Moveset: Calm Minder
Pokemon: Lucario
Held Item: Leftovers
Nature: Timid
Ability: Inner Focus/Steadfast (It doesn't matter)
4 HP/252 Sp Atk/252 Spe

~ Calm Mind
~ Substitute
~ Aura Sphere
~ Shadow Ball

This set will throw your opponents off-guard. Switch Lucario into something he can scare off, like Tyranitar or Blissey, set up a Substitute then start Calm Minding away. Then pick the correct move to hit the opponent with while behind a Substitute.

Here's an Azelf I've been using lately, I don't know if this qualifies as "new", but it's very effective for me so far.

Trick Elf
Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

~ Trick
~ Stealth Rock
~ Explosion
~ U-Turn

Azelf's Atk stat is usually overshadowed by its Sp. Atk, even though they have the same value. But that's not the point of this set.

This Azelf is meant to lead, but not to suicide lead. First, the obvious. Trick is there to disable some common walls, as well as some common leads. Choice Scarf shuts down Suicide Aerodactyl and Azelf, as well as Baton Pass Ninjask (not the Protect kind). If the enemy lead is an uncommon lead, or one that would benefit from the Scarf, then U-Turn helps scout the enemy, as well as preserving the Choice Scarf for future use. Explosion can take out a lot of Pokémon once Azelf's job is done.
Uxie pulls this better as it's sturdier (75/70/70 vs 75/130/130). It lacks Explosion, but it gets a fucklot of support moves like Yawn, Heal Bell, Screens, Toxic, Thunder Wave, Knock Off, Swagger and Magic Coat that Azelf cannot learn/use because it's so frail.

Azelf is an awesome offensive lead that can stop others from setting up SR and it hits like a truck as well. However, other sets like Double Screens and TrickScarf are outclassed terribly by the defensive pixie.

EDIT: Jirachi completely outclasses Lucario as a CMer.

While I don't think Calm Mind Lucario is very good (it isn't bulky or fast enough), it is not really outclassed by any other Calm Minder. Lucario beats Blissey easily while Jirachi may struggle. Lucario also naturally has more Special Attack. I'd be interested in seeing some sort of bulky Calm Mind Lucario. This would take advantage of Lucario's amazing resistances. Maybe Bulk Up would work better though...

i disagree bulk up would work better, lucario get aura sphere on the special side what is free recoil and good power, in the physical side he get....well besides close combat he get cross chop, brick break, drain punch, sky upercut and fillers, none that work better then aura sphere and Cm.

Bulky Bulk Up with Close Combat is counter-intuitive. Brick Break + Crunch is possible. Drain Punch is an interesting possibility. Hit a Blissey and you get all of your HP back, lol

Jirachi @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 224 Atk/176 Spd/108 SAtk
Naughty nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick

This guy is pretty cool and has held up to testing.

I built the set around the strategy of tricking the toxic orb onto switch ins expecting the revenger set. Jirachi's common switch ins for the most part hate getting stuck with the orb, including dragon dancers, natural curers, ttar, bulky waters, whatever. Jirachi usually receives lefties or life orb in return. When heatran switches in, he might not get poisoned but he takes big damage from hp ground, and you're guaranteed to outspeed at 280 speed.

I chose the rest of the moves to cover the guys that would otherwise not be phazed by receiving the orb. HP ground hits heatran hard but does not OHKO with these EVs. Fire punch hits scizor hard and prevents other steels (other than skarm) from walling you. Iron head is for the most part a no brainer on jirachi and allows you to flinch stall and let the toxic damage rack up.

I have personally found that this jirachi acts as a good partner for guys like empoleon or gyarados who need help taking down tenacious pokemon like celebi and blissey before they sweep. Whatever hole jirachi creates with its orb can be exploited by the rest of the team.

Overall, I need some comments and crits on the evs. Currently I put enough evs in attack to get all possible bonus points from +nature, enough speed for 280 to outspeed lucario and heatran, and the rest in sp attack. I may tweak this after some calcs... some magic OHKO numbers or more bulk could turn out to be beneficial. Finally I had a ton of trouble finding IVs that worked with hp ground--Needs improvement.

You could use this to determine how many SpAtk EVs you need to OHKO Heatran and put the rest in Atk. One question though, why not just use Toxic? I don't think Celebi and Blissey are going to switch in immediately because there's no reason for them to try and take an Iron Head and they won't want to switch in on U-turn. Starmie can switch in on Iron Head, but won't like taking U-turn either. Also, if you happen to Trick it onto something like Starmie, it can easily use Trick to cripple one of your walls.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Trick lets you steal their item. In the case of Heatran, this could let you take away its Shuca berry. In the case of many of the targets, they will lose lefties recovery. In the case of Trick Starmie, you have likely obtained Choice Specs or Scarf with which to trick, or even keep in the case of Scarf. Starmie will be very predictable, so you should be able to avoid getting poisoned.

I think the idea is probably to bluff a choice scarf initially, using Iron head once and then tricking the switch-in. If you use HP Ground on the first turn Blissey may switch in.

I'm afraid that even with max spatk, this set is not guaranteed to OHKO Heatran after SR

Ledjet:

Ledian@LightBall
Timid Nature
Either Ability is fine. Swarm if you want to use the second EV set and you want to make Ledian battle a bit. Early Bird is if you fear SleepPowder and you really think Ledian will last long enough to wake up and start doing its job.
EVs: 212 HP / 46 SpAtt / 252 Speed (Preferred)
6 HP / 252 SpAtt / 252 Speed (My personal set to catch Celebi off-guard)
-BugBuzz
-KnockOff
-Encore
-Fling

BugBuzz is the only thing Ledian has to arm itself. Think of Ledian as the kid in a zombie movie with a pistol. He's not to be feared but he can take something out every now and then. KnockOff is great to get rid of LifeOrb and Leftovers. Encore keeps StealthRock users to use StealthRock. You'd probably use KnockOff in the first turn to get rid of Swampert's Leftovers and Metagross's (whatever item it's going to hold). Third turn is where Fling makes an appearance. You can use it first instead of KnockOff but I like to save Fling for later. LightBall can paralyze Swampert. It'll probably switch out so you can paralyze whatever is coming in. You can use the FlameOrb or ToxicOrb but you better throw it on the first turn.

Lead Torterra

Torterra @ Occa berry/ Naughty/ Overgrow
252 Atk, 220 SAtk, 36 SDef

- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Leaf Storm

I have always believed that Torterra is a great pokemon. It has great typing and physical stats to let it function as a reasonable lead in OU. After testing Torterra multiple times I have made the set you can see above.
Stealth Rock is an obvious move you see on most leads and Torterra is bulky enough to set it up, even multiple times if needed. Earthquake is a STAB ground type move coming from 348 Attack (base 109) and it’s sure to dent something.
Rock Slide is preferred over Stone Edge for better accuracy, more PP and according to the calcs bellow you can get the same amount of kills.
Leaf Storm is the secret in this moveset. While the strategydex says that you shouldn’t use it if you have access to Wood Hammer or Seed Bomb. That might be for UU but in OU you can score some OHKO with Leaf Storm you couldn’t with Wood Hammer or Seed Bomb. Besides, Torterra can miss that recoil damage.
Occa berry and the given SDef EV’s (36) allows Torterra to survive Fire attack from common Fire type leads such as Infernape or Heatran.
Naughty nature is preferred over something like Brave so that you can outspeed Swampert* (if he has Ice Beam he is Relaxed natured) and OHKO before he can do it to you. The drop in special defence also doesn’t matter as Torterra dies to a second one anyway.

Torterra has great bulk on the physical side so it is preferred if you do not use it as a suicide lead as he can come in later and scare things like Tyranitar away. Bellow you will find some calcs about what to do against other, more common leads.

What to do against opposing leads:

Heatran: Earthquake = 186.4% - 219.8% (with Shucka Berry = 93.2% - 109.9%)

Infernape: Earthquake = 144% - 170%

Metagross: Earthquake = 69.2% - 81.3%

Roserade: Earthquake = 97.7% - 115.3%

Jirachi: Earthquake = 88.1% - 103.6%

Azelf: Leaf Storm = 80.4% - 94.8%

Hippowdon: Leaf Storm = 85.7% - 101.4%

Smeargle: Leaf Storm = 114.3% - 134.5%

Swampert: Leaf Storm = 167.3% - 197%

Aerodactyl: Rock Slide = 74.8% - 88.7%

Dragonite: Rock Slide = 51.9% - 61.1%

What can those leads do in return:

Heatran: Fire Blast = 72.5% - 85.5%, Overheat = 84.6% - 99.7%

Infernape: Fake Out = 9.4% - 11.2% + Fire Blast: 61.9% - 73.4% (11,2 + 73,4 < 100 = NOT 2HKO)

Metagross: Meteor Mash = 52.9% - 62.5%

Roserade: Hidden Power (fire) = 27.5% - 32.6%

Jirachi: Fire Punch = 19.9% - 23.6%, Iron Head = 31.7% - 37.5%

Azelf: Fire Blast = 47.1% - 55.6%

Hippowdon: Earthquake = 17.2% - 20.2%

Swampert: Ice Beam* = 88.2% - 105.1%, Waterfall = 27.2% - 32.6%

Aerodactyl: Earthquake = 13.6% - 16%, Ice Fang = 71.3% - 84.6%

Dragonite: Fire Blast = 57.4% - 67.7% , Draco Meteor = 100% - 118.1%

Lead Torterra

- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Leaf Storm

I have always believed that Torterra is a great pokemon. It has great typing and physical stats to let it function as a reasonable lead in OU. After testing Torterra multiple times I have made the set you can see above.
Stealth Rock is an obvious move you see on most leads and Torterra is bulky enough to set it up, even multiple times if needed. Earthquake is a STAB ground type move coming from 348 Attack (base 109) and it’s sure to dent something.
Rock Slide is preferred over Stone Edge for better accuracy, more PP and according to the calcs bellow you can get the same amount of kills.
Leaf Storm is the secret in this moveset. While the strategydex says that you shouldn’t use it if you have access to Wood Hammer or Seed Bomb. That might be for UU but in OU you can score some OHKO with Leaf Storm you couldn’t with Wood Hammer or Seed Bomb. Besides, Torterra can miss that recoil damage.
Occa berry and the given SDef EV’s (36) allows Torterra to survive Fire attack from common Fire type leads such as Infernape or Heatran.
Naughty nature is preferred over something like Brave so that you can outspeed Swampert* (if he has Ice Beam he is Relaxed natured) and OHKO before he can do it to you. The drop in special defence also doesn’t matter as Torterra dies to a second one anyway.

Torterra has great bulk on the physical side so it is preferred if you do not use it as a suicide lead as he can come in later and scare things like Tyranitar away. Bellow you will find some calcs about what to do against other, more common leads.

What to do against opposing leads:

Heatran: Earthquake = 186.4% - 219.8% (with Occa Berry = 93.2% - 109.9%)

Infernape: Earthquake = 144% - 170%

Metagross: Earthquake = 69.2% - 81.3%

Roserade: Earthquake = 97.7% - 115.3%

Jirachi: Earthquake = 88.1% - 103.6%

Azelf: Leaf Storm = 80.4% - 94.8%

Hippowdon: Leaf Storm = 85.7% - 101.4%

Smeargle: Leaf Storm = 114.3% - 134.5%

Swampert: Leaf Storm = 167.3% - 197%

Aerodactyl: Rock Slide = 74.8% - 88.7%

Dragonite: Rock Slide = 51.9% - 61.1%

What can those leads do in return:

Heatran: Fire Blast = 72.5% - 85.5%, Overheat = 84.6% - 99.7%

Infernape: Fake Out = 9.4% - 11.2% + Fire Blast: 61.9% - 73.4% (11,2 + 73,4 < 100 = NOT 2HKO)

Metagross: Meteor Mash = 52.9% - 62.5%

Roserade: Hidden Power (fire) = 27.5% - 32.6%

Jirachi: Fire Punch = 19.9% - 23.6%, Iron Head = 31.7% - 37.5%

Azelf: Fire Blast = 47.1% - 55.6%

Hippowdon: Earthquake = 17.2% - 20.2%

Swampert: Ice Beam* = 88.2% - 105.1%, Waterfall = 27.2% - 32.6%
Aerodactyl: Earthquake = 13.6% - 16%, Ice Fang = 71.3% - 84.6%

Dragonite: Fire Blast = 57.4% - 67.7% , Draco Meteor = 100% - 118.1%
This is quite a good lead. Roserade will nearly always put you to sleep, but you can always have a t spike absorber/ rest talker. You also need immediate checks to things like dd mence, gyara because if jirachi tricks u a scarf its a free invite. But most teams have checks to those anyway. And Torterra is quite a bulky pokemon, so it can come in later and scare away things like cursepert/ vaporeon/jolteon. It also has very good synergy with things like cm 3 attk suicune or wish vappy.

EDIT: In your post you wrote how torterra fares against common leads. In the sentence about heatran you write that it does about 95% with occa, I think you meant shuca ;p

Lead Torterra

- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Leaf Storm

There was an OU lead set in one of the old Torterra analysis threads(can't find it anymore) that I saw a while back and used for a while. I like it better than yours. It was:

name: OU Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Wood Hammer/Seed Bomb
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Stone Edge[I think]
item: Occa Berry
nature: Adamant
evs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe

It worked pretty well for me. The speed was so it could outspeed Leadgross and max atk+EQ allowed it to kill Leadtran through Shuca berry 60% of the time IIRC. I preferred Seed Bomb to Wood Hammer simply because killing a pkmn like T_Tar or even Swampert or anything with Wood Hammer always left me heavily damaged. For the last slot I always used Roar, though I imagine Reflect/Light Screen/Leech Seed/Superpower/Toxic/Rest might be able to get in on that last slot. I tried out Crunch for a bit just to guarantee the 2HKO on Leadelf, but I often found that it was kind of a waste.

Skarmory always switched in for free so I found Magnezone helped a lot. I didn't make this set/EV spread btw, so note that I'm not trying to take credit.

Anti-Lead poliwrath

@ Lum Berry/Leftovers
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk 4 spD
Brave nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Encore
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Waterfall

A good anti lead , encore+substitude looks like machamp, but poliwrath can stop the explosions with damp , lum berry it's for Breloom or smeargle lead, leftovers for take more damages (Close combat of LeadApe , EQ of metagross...)

Heatran : Encore/sub
Skarmory : Encore/sub if it don't have brave bird or if don't use taunt
Infernape : Encore , Close combat is a 3HKO (150~172)
Hippowdon : Encore/Waterfall
Roserade : The big problem of this set :/
Jirachi : i doesn't like trick, i just can Focus punch/Waterfall, if he doesn't taunt, i have a free sub on his switch
Gliscor : Encore if his an idiot, Waterfall if he taunt
Metagross : he can't use explosion, i can encore it (Eartquake is a 3/4HKO with the leftovers )
Brozong : Sub and encore.
Heatran : Encore, Focus punch OHKO him..
Machamp : He's a better than me with dynamic punch. ;O
Aerodactyl : 2 watefall and he die.
Azelf : if he have psychic, i cry.
Mamoswine : i can take 2 Earthquake (Jolly)with 1 hp if he have two maximum damages, thanks de leftovers
Tyranitar : he doesn't do much to me, i can encore him and sub
Swampert : Sub+Encore.
Smeargle : Sub after his spore

(Sorry for the bad english, i'm french)

TrickScarf Lead Espeon

Espeon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 160 Def/96 Spe/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ground]/ Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- Trick
- Signal Beam

-this set is designed to paired up with your choice of SD luke, Breloom, SubMachamp, and a Magnezone. A bulky water is a preferable partner as well

This set might be similar to the Azelf set given some posts above--why espeon? Espeon hits tons harder with higher SpAtk. What people don't realize is that Espeon is bulkier. This EV spread allows to always survive a Metagross Meteor Mash, and by extension CB scizor bullet punch. At the same time, it hits harder, OHKO'ing Anti-lead Machamp with psychic. This is mildly impressive considering that their EV spread invests quite heavily on Special Defence to guarantee a survival on a Azelf lead Psychic.

Heatran : HP Ground or I'm completely walled-switch to bulky water
Skarmory : Trick/ HP
Infernape : A problem lead. Switch out to a designated bulky water
Hippowdon : Trick
Roserade : Psychic!
Jirachi : Hidden Power.
Gliscor : Trick.
Metagross : Hidden Power--and switch to magnezone
Brozong : Trick
Machamp : Psychic is OHKO, but doesn't quite guarantee it according to smogon calcs. However i've never seen one survive it (maybe i'm lucky)
Aerodactyl : Psychic
Azelf : Signal beam. Confusion rate helps
Mamoswine : Psychic deals a lot, but EQ+ice shard=>dead espeon. So I switch to the bulky water mentioned already for leadape
Tyranitar : It is rarely seen at current metagame, but it is an immense threat. Luckily usually I can switch out without being pursuited. If i'm not so lucky, fighting type go in!
Swampert : Trick Scarf

Strategically speaking, this is supposed to lure in steels especially scizor, magnezone eliminate them from battle, and Hyper Offense with Dragon Type Sweepers. The recommended teammates are not necessary, but it is helpful to let Espeon enter for round 2 (except for the fighting type, lest you want Espeon's sacrifice to scarftars to go to waste). It is also very useful as a revenge killer if the scarf is intact, and also can sweep independently. Overall, it's a momentum booster to the team and is a good lead for a Hyper Offense team.

What do you say? Good? Decent? Too dependent on teammates? (I've heard anything can be usable with tons of team support, so there) Or does it just plain suck? I have some non-cherry picked logs if you guys want.

EDIT: Yeah, I don't know Azelf base def stats off the top of my head. That combined with my join date and post count would certify me as an absolute noob=( while it's totally true so I can't complain. That makes me feel sadder.

Yeah true that lucalibur, It must have been that I haven't thought that one before posting here! But actually, azelfs fail at trying to lure scizor in especially when they carry flamethrower like 99.9999999999% of the time. (What my original concept was when using HP fire) I would think a lot of my friends will feel really sad it turns out that I don't even 'let's actually think about this for like 5 seconds'

lets think for a sec, the only real thing this espeon can do that azelf cant do but better is have a little more power thanks to 5 extra base points on special atack, azelf is faster, can take more hits and got a better movepool, this set is good but besides the little extra power i am sure azelf could run this a lot better(he is also immune to mamo EQ so he win the matchup). espeon is a lot more frail then azelf btw.

Name: Bait Umbreon
Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Nature: Sassy (0 Spe IVs)
EVs: 252 HP/166 Def/92 SpDef

Yawn
Protect
Wish
Payback

This Umbreon is designed to lure Scizor in and put it to Sleep so that something like Salamence can set up on it and it won't even get a chance to revenge kill it. This set works because most Umbreon are a free switch in for Scizor and Choice Band Scizor is so keen on using U-turn to switch out of Yawn. Protect stops U-turn from ever making contact with Umbreon and thus, doesn't allow Scizor to switch out of Yawn. I haven't done too much testing with this set, but every time I have used it against Scizor, my opponent has fallen for it every time. Once Scizor is asleep, you can give anything a free switch in since Scizor is guaranteed to stay asleep for the first turn. This Wish is mainly used to give Umbreon something to do after it puts something to Sleep and works well with Protect. Payback is for STAB and to make sure Umbreon doesn't get shut down by Taunt and Substitute users.

I took the EVs from the Trap Passing Umbreon and put the Spe EVs into Def since this Umbreon doesn't need to outspeed anything. I also went with Sassy and 0 Spe IVs to guaratee that it will go after things like Swampert and Blissey and hit them with a 100 Base Powered Payback. The extra Def means that it will only take 76.6% - 90.4% from an Adamant Choice Band Scizor's U-turn, which is never an OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers, and will never be 2HKOd by anything ScarfTar can throw at it besides Superpower. You could increase the Def even more, but even max/max neutral Umbreon will be guarateed to survive two hits from Superpower with Stealth Rock up. Even if the opponent doesn't have Scizor, you can still use the same strategy against Scarf Jirachi and Flygon that might switch in and you can always force switches on other things with Yawn.

The best teamates for this set are ones that can set up and pose a huge threat to the opponent's team. Salamence and Gyarados can both devistate the opponent after they set up and both resist U-turn, in case Scizor tries to wait out the Sleep. Taunt Skarmory and Substitue Magnezone can both set up on Umbreon so something like Heatran or Zapdos can make good teamates. Breloom will also stay awake due to Toxic Orb and will take Payback with ease. Zapdos also has the advantage of taking on Fighting types like Lucario that Umbreon can't handle. Breloom will also stay awake due to Toxic Orb and will take Payback with ease. Entry hazards, Stealth Rock and Spikes in particular, work well with this set because of all of the switches Yawn will force, but Toxic Spikes may make it difficult to get a Yawn off on anything that's not Steel, Poison, Flying, or Levitating.

Other Pokemon like Swampert and Vaporeon may be able to use Yawn and Protect, but they won't lure Scizor in as well as Umbreon can.

Physical Lead Azelf

Ability: Levitate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed

Fire Punch
Ice Punch
U-Turn
Explosion

Most people except any Azelf lead to be the standard set with Taunt and Stealth Rock. Because of this, most Aerodactyl and other Azelf leads start off with Taunt, basically wasting a turn. This Azelf takes advantage of that by using Ice Punch to break the Focus Sash and then using U-Turn into safety, usually to a Pokemon that has Rapid Spin or Stealth Rock. Other common leads can be handled with Fire Punch or Explosion if necessary.

Speaking of Explosion, that is one more thing Physical Azelf has better than other versions. I don't know where to find the statistics to back this up, but Explosion becomes much more deadly, easily KO'ing troubling Heatrans and Swamperts after another attack. The main reason I prefer this to the normal moveset (besides unpredictability) is U-Turn. It allows Azelf to survive and help later by switching to safety without wasting an attack. Because of its offensive style and Explosion, it can usually take out another Pokemon later.

This build came about after I started battling with a standard Azelf set. I was constantly losing out to Aerodactyl, Tyranitar, Scarf'd Azelf, and Gengar. I liked Azelf, but I wanted something that can deal with those better and not something just used to lay rocks down. I started with a Special Attack oriented build with HP Ice, but I found that it was better to sacrifice some unnecessary power to be able to use U-Turn and give Explosion more damage.

I have been changing my lead a lot, but I still prefer this set-up to everything else.

For the Azelf, can we assume the item is Focus Sash? Also, U-turn will break the sash of the Aerodactyl, so you don't need to waste a turn with Ice Punch. This gives you an opportunity to switch to Scizor, for example, to threaten an immediate KO with Bullet Punch before he gets SR down (assuming he taunts first), or a spinner like Forretress, who can also threaten a KO with Gyro Ball or spin the Rocks away. I run an Aerodactyl lead on about half of my teams, and this scenario is enough to make me think twice about Taunting Azelf first instead of laying SR.

For your damage calcs, if you assume that the Heatran is the standard lead version, you will never KO with a single attack followed by Explosion (Explosion: 91.4% max, Ice Punch: 6.8% max, = 98.2% max), and if you wait any longer than that, you have defeated the purpose of the set.

For the elemental punches, I might go with Ice Punch and Thunderpunch instead, to give you a pseudo-BoltBeam for better coverage. Fire Punch will only help you against the Steel leads like Metagross and Jirachi, but it is, at best, a 3HKO against both, but both of them will KO you well before that point.

Name: Driftblim
Moveset name: BatonBlim
EVs: 252 hp 136 def 136 sp. def
Item:Leftovers
Stockpile
Baton pass
Explosion
hypnosis
Idea is to stockpile, hypnosis, stock pile untill you're happy then pass off. Explosion is to kill something later.

Jolteons modest thunder bolt is a 2HKO after 1 stockpile, but loses to azelf.
Switch in on a ground attack and get in as many boosts as you can, pass to a sweeper and GO GO GO!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)