New and 'creative' moveset/EV spread thread Mk. 5

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bibarel@Something(still indecisive, just slapped random items on usually Lefties, Wise Glasses, Expert Belt, Lum Berry etc.)
Special Attacker/Defender
Modest/Calm Nature
Simple
252 Sp.Def/Sp.Atk/4 HP
-Charge Beam
-Amnesia/Super Fang
-Surf
-Ice Beam

I know this is SUPER-weird but in NU it actually works really well at killing off various threats after one or even two Charge Beams with a pseudo-Bolt Beam and Water STAB. Amnesia provides REALLY good Special Bulk and whenever Bibarel is faster than a Sp. Attacker it either causes a switch or gets to set up with CBeam. I still have no idea regarding the best item, but it's my only adventurous Pokemon, and often my cartridge opponents have no idea about what to do to Bibarel. Unfortunately, it is killed by many physical attackers, but it's designed to set-up on a Special Attacker or Defensive Pokemon.
The fact that it's designed to set up on a special attacker or defensive pokemon doesn't detract from the fact that it's easily revenged by physical pokemon. I don't have a set that would do better in NU though, although...

UU Cosmic Power Clefable - @ Leftovers, Bold/Calm EVs - mixture of defenses, although I prefer Bold 252 HP / 252 Def, due to their unevenness in Clefable's defensive stats.
Cosmic Power
Charge Beam
Ice Beam
Softboiled

Basically, I have set up on Infernape's life orbed Close Combats at + 1, it's that good, although I did spend most of the time praying for no crit. Sweeps like NP.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, but two different posts, two different topics.

not really, considering the average sleep time is 2 turns, so it can't sweep, and it's only capable off taking out 1 poke and endeavoring the next, while mine sweeps, sometimes instantly winning, the worse smeargle ran into on pkmn online was choice scarf shandera with shadow tag, but the absolute best an unprepared team did was wait until a lucario (5th poke) woke up early, it got endeavored and revenge killed easily leaving the scoreboard at 5[me] to 1[him] so MUHAHAHA to you! Oh, and 1 more thing:

SHUCKLE RULES ALL!!!
If you're talking about 5th Gen (you mentioned Shandera), this isn't the place to talk about it. This is for 4th Gen only.

Besides that set is awful. Instead of saying it's the best, why don't you see what it can do to the most common leads? Out of the top 20, 10 beat you without a problem.

Machamp: D-punch while you Spore, Lum awakes him, he KOes

Azelf: Taunts you, set up SR and U-Turn out

Aero: Taunts you, set up and can proceed to KO

Infernape: Fake Out + CC

Metagross: MM + BP with Lum keeping it awake

Roserade: Sleep Powders you

Breloom: Spores you

Ninjask: Sets up on you

Gliscor: Taunts you

Crobat: Taunts you

And I haven't put Hippo, T-tar, Starmie, Heatran, etc. that break your sash so that a Scizor or a Metagross (common pokes with priority that don't care about Extremespeed) can finish you. Or Jirachi and Uxie that trick you a Scarf, making Smeargle almost useless.

So there are 16 out of the top 20 against which your strategy of sweeping fails.

i like to use a status countering gardevoir in my nu team:

gardevoir
modest/calm
252hp/252sp.atk/4sp.def
synchronize
lum berry
psychic
wish
protect
filler (i'm not sure what to put here)

i know it's not as good as copying your opponents ability with trace but i like reflecting will-o-wisp/toxic/thunder wave/other status inflicting moves

and especially if the status was sleep

it really ruins shuckles

Scizor
Sub-Liechi

Evs: 240 Atk/252 Spd/12 HP

Item: Liechi Berry

Nature:Jolly

Moves:
Agility
Substitute
X-Scissor
Reversal

This set works very similar to Empoleons Sub-Peyata set, with a twist. You use Agility on a switch or any other free turn. then you substitute until you have 25% or less health, then use either X-Scissor or Reversal. Once you think about it ull realise that Reversal is actually a good idea. Low health, high ATK plus boost, and you move first due to agility. All of this equals an effective sweeper. I took off some ATK because its already strong enough without it due to the plus 1 ATK. But if you feel uncomfortable, you could any take them off SPdef and smack it back onto ATK. This set works well with a pokemon that can induce sleep, like a bronzong with Hypnosis. Hope this set helps :3

EDIT: Whoops, i forgot the abilty. Swarm because X-scizzor is a bug move, and its low on health, and plus one ATK.

Scizor
Sub-Liechi

Evs: 240 Atk/252 Spd/12 SPdef

Item: Liechi Berry

Nature:Jolly

Moves:
Agility
Substitute
X-Scissor
Reversal

This set works very similar to Empoleons Sub-Peyata set, with a twist. You use Agility on a switch or any other free turn. then you substitute until you have 25% or less health, then use either X-Scissor or Reversal. Once you think about it ull realise that Reversal is actually a good idea. Low health, high ATK plus boost, and you move first due to agility. All of this equals an effective sweeper. I took off some ATK because its already strong enough without it due to the plus 1 ATK. But if you feel uncomfortable, you could any take them off SPdef and smack it back onto ATK. This set works well with a pokemon that can induce sleep, like a bronzong with Hypnosis. Hope this set helps :3

EDIT: Whoops, i forgot the abilty. Swarm because X-scizzor is a bug move, and its low on health, and plus one ATK.
Either change its HP IV to 30 or move the SDef EVs to HP so that its HP is divisible by four (optimal for sub -> pinch berry).

My first post here

I've been wracking my brain for an answer, googling and asking as many Pokemon experts as I know, but no one has given be a definitive answer for what i'm about to ask.
I'm looking to make a Steel Killer Magnezone without Substitute.

My Setup on it so far is this:
Pokemon @ Item (Nothing)
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs:????
Nature: Modest
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Grass
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave

I'm basically trying to make Scizors and Skarmories obsolete when coming up against me (mostly my Breloom they've been taking out before I have a chance to kill their Tyranitars) but I have no idea about how I should spread my EVs or what item to put onto it.

I'd like to stick with Thunderbolt, Hidden Power Grass, and Flash Cannon but i'm wary on Thunderwave but also wary on replacing it with Explosion because i'm not running an Emulator and Soul Silver only comes with one.

In short, what i'm really asking is, What stats should I boost the most, what item should I put on and what do I replace Thunder Wave with?

Okay, need to ask the question. If you're not running a Choice item then there's really absolutely no reason not to use Substitute on Magnezone. So why?

If you don't like Explosion, then you can use a SubCharge set. Or just the basic Sub set but with Thunder Wave.

Or, Choice Scarf with Hidden Power Ground is pretty great at the moment, letting you trap and kill Heatran and Lucario in addition to the usual stuff.

@Choice scarf

Nature: Timid

EVs 252/ SpA /232/Speed 24/Hp

Moves:
1.Thunderbolt
2.Heatwave
3.Hidden power(Grass/Ice)
4.Uturn/Roost

With this you outspeed DD Gyara after +1 Jolly 252, and you can come in on Agility gross and KO with heatwave provided you don't miss. Uturn is for scouting out other things Like scarf ttar. I've become custom to Scarf Zapdos its a spectacularly beast revenge killer and he's super cute :33

Exactly the same as the one in the analysis except with worse EVs and Roost on a Choiced Pokemon...
u r cute. but saying roost on this set is bad is like saying SR on scarf tran is bad. it's for a pump fake they think you'll tbolt and go to pert while you really roost off any damage taken by SR and other things. the HP investments is so you take SR better and you can switch in more. xP :3 <333

Kingdra (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 32 HP/224 Spd/252 SpAtk
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Something I've been playing around with.
Noone expects Scarf Kingdra and although it isn't as powerful as Flygon/Jirachi/Infernape, it makes up for it's loss of power with it's powerful STAB moves and impressive set of resistances.
95 on both defences also gives him some decent base bulk.

Anyway, Draco Meteor for hard hitting damage, Dragon Pulse for cleaning up late game, Surf for coverage and Ice Beam to round off the set, but also partly as a filler.
HP Electric/Grass/Fire may also be used in it's place.

Those 32 HP EV's could go into attack, changing the nature to Naive and putting Outrage in over Dragon Pulse or your third moveslot.

For the Kingdra, I would go with Sniper over Swift Swim. If you have rain, you are faster than just about everything anyway and the scarf is worse than overkill; it is a hindrance. And if there is no rain, Swift Swim is pointless. It probably won't make much of a difference, but the chance to do 71% to Blissey with a critical Draco Meteor is well worth it.

Also, you could probably afford to drop some speed. Going down to 224 Spe EV's means you still outspeed +1 Jolly Gyarados without losing out on too much (Electivire is the only "OU"). The extra EV's could go toward improving Kingdra's decent bulk or even toward making it mixed, with a different nature. STAB Draco Meteor and Outrage instantly make anything a potent mixed attacker.

Ah, thanks.

I totally forgot about Sniper and I'm certainly nothing special with EV's and such.
I did debate going mixed, but I'm not sure which move should be dropped for Outrage.

u r cute. but saying roost on this set is bad is like saying SR on scarf tran is bad. it's for a pump fake they think you'll tbolt and go to pert while you really roost off any damage taken by SR and other things. the HP investments is so you take SR better and you can switch in more. xP :3 <333
But you'll have to switch out the turn you roosted so you take SR damage again anyways? This will happen everytime you select Roost and the opponent will get a free turn to set up or attack

I'll try one myself:

Sunnybeam Ludicolo
EVs: 252 HP/252SpA/4SpD
Ability: Rain Dish
Nature: Modest
Item: Leftovers
-Solarbeam
-Hidden Power Fire/Ice Beam
-Leech Seed/Ice Beam
-Substitute/Ice Beam

Since it is not weak to fire, has Ice Beam and good Special bulk, it could make an interesting Sunnybeamer that can take on dragons and also Leech Seed Stall. Not sure if this is any viable, however.

Something I've been theorying for some time and finally decided to test out:

Nidoqueen (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP/160 Def/96 SpDef
Careful nature (+SpDef,-SpAtk)
- Rest
- Roar
- Sleep Talk
- Super Fang

- Pretty much immune to status (Can't Thunder Wave due to -Ground typing, can't Burn as she uses Super Fang as her attack, can't Toxic due to -Poison typing, can't Sleep effectively due to Sleep Talk)

- Shuffles with neutral priority Roar (albeit coming from a slow Nidoqueen)

- Super Fang in conjunction with entry hazards and Toxic-support wears down the opponent very quickly.

- EV's are purely to maximise her defences, no specific landmarks hit. Advice on these would be nice. I'm thinking that I'd like to be able to be able to take a few Surfs from Vaporeon or Suicune.

(I posted this in the UU movesets previously, but had no responses, hence I posted it here too =P)

That set works okay, its just tends to get outclassed. It has a niche, e.g. sucking up Toxic Spikes + beating Lucario, but its generally just worse than RestTalk Roar Suicune, Gyarados, etc. Super Fang also means every Ghost in the sun is going to be coming in.

So I originally wanted a strong reinculus counter (hold on this is relevant to gen 4) for my gen 5 team, so I tried specially defensive cb scizor. After some testing I realized that it did not have the power to deal with reinculus, so I switched to specially defensive SD scizor, and after awhile I realized what an amazing set it was. Yes, I know I'm not the first to discover it, but I'd like to point out that I did discover it for myself, and after some time I tried it out in gen 4 OU and realized that it worked just as amazingly there. Without further ado,

Scizor @ Leftovers
Technician
252 Hp / 16 Attack / 228 Sp. Def / 12 Speed
Careful
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite
-Roost

Now I know some people prefer less sp.def / more attack, but I've found that going all out on the defensive is much preferable. Max hp first, 16 attack is to reach 300 total, 12 speed to beat all those 8 speed scizor, and finally the rest in sp. def and careful for maximum set-up opportunity. While my original gen 4 team involving him stunk in general, around 50-60% of my team's victories were due to this guy outright sweeping or causing a ragequit, once the opponent realized they couldn't do shit to him.

Among the many pokemon he can set up on:
flamethrower-less blissey
hp fire-less celebi
all vaporeon
most suicune
defensive starmie
non-LO jolteon or LO jolteon (risky)
swampert (without roar)
flygon
jirachi (watch out for hax / fire punch)
metagross
rotom - a (obv. without overheat)
other scizor
tentracruel (watch out for ts though)
taunt-less gliscor

and other things. I've even once defeated an hp fire-less magnezone who though he could trap and kill me, though needless to say the user probably didn't play that well with it.

A major issue is the problem that though he can set up on many attacks doing under 45%, critical hits can always spell an early demise.

Heatran is a drop-dead counter so having something to take care of him, or spikes to wear him down, is quite beneficial.

Also, gyarados with intimidate and DD/roar can be a solid check/counter to this scizor.

Also, Scizor's unboosted bullet punch isn't much to rely on for revenge killing, so watch out.

While I agree the speed is debatable, it helps in the off chance that a CB scizor can finish you off and, at +4 or +6, BP/Bug bite will be doing a lot to everything. keep in mind how easy it is to get to +4/+6 with so many set-up opportunities

DC.

Eu estou aqui
you say it can set up on vaporeon, suicune, tenta etc. but most of them run scald and i dont think you wanna get a burn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)