New and 'creative' moveset/EV spread thread Mk. 5

Like CBShuckle, I've been testing things out on the Gen 5 ladder, however, I believe this to be more effective than the current set on the Smogon analyses.

Special Defensive Metagross

Metagross @ Iron Ball / Choice Band / Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Att / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Trick / Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion / Thunder Punch / Pursuit

I've been using this in Gen 5 to support an SD Gliscor sweep, but its Gen 4 where Metagross' biggest counters - Rotom-A, Skarmory, Bronzong, are most common.

The problem is that the current Trick set doesn't have much utility outside of luring in Skarmory and Rotom-A. What if they don't have either of them? (very unlikely mind). Against teams that do pack them then theres no change in his goal.

Once he's Tricked away his Iron Ball or against teams lacking Skarmory / Rotom-A / Bronzong I found he became dead weight. With max Attack he can't 2HKO Skarmory, defensive Jirachi or Bronzong. He can 2HKO Rotom-A but thats not great when he can still burn you and stall you out. Besides, so many other things can OHKO those with STAB Earthquakes.

With max HP / Special Defence, he becomes an effective check to a lot of Special Attackers - Gengar can't 2HKO, Starmie can 2HKO where you can Trick or Thunder Punch it. Calm Minders like Jirachi can be beaten with Earthquake, Suicune risks Explosion or Trick. This helps a balanced team a lot more in the long run where every member counts. Stealth Rock is always an option for something more offensive than Jirachi and Bronzong. Even Infernape isn't a guaruteed OHKO when Metagross is at full HP, and he avoids the KO if Nape runs Flamethrower instead.

Other options include Choice Band - it can do with a boost as well as crippling things like Vaporeon and Swampert. With Pursuit, Metagross can trap Psychics and Ghosts and possibly wear down Blissey running from Explosion. Thunder Punch covers Starmie, which it can check - LO Hydro Pump doesn't always 2HKO, where as Surf never 2HKOs. Leftovers avoids the 2HKO and is best used with Stealth Rock. I suppose Toxic Orb is another option and will kill any thing non-Steel in the long term, such as the opponent's bulky Water or Rotom-A while keeping the item hidden.

Abomasnow @ Charti Berry | Snow Warning
Adamant | 124 Atk / 216 Def / 60 SpD / 108 Spe
Swords Dance / Wood Hammer / Ice Shard / Protect

This Abomasnow is designed for offensive hail teams to defeat other weather starters. With the current EVs, you outspeed 96 Spe Tyranitar. The 124 Atk EVs are so you always OHKO physically defensive Hippowdon after a Swords Dance (and Tyranitar obviously). The 216 Def EVs are to always survive a CB Tyranitar Stone Edge. The rest is dumped into SpD to combat bulky waters.

I guess I'm still not very good at posting things in the right places.
My post about a lead Scolipede set has been moved where Tomahawk9 suggested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)