Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the release of Generation VI we have a new type and a slew of Pokemon with unusual type pairings and stat distributions. Given the material are there any new cores that a team can be built around?

One core I plan on testing is Hydreigon/Aegislash.

Their resistances pair up perfectly and they can easily remove each others counters. Give them some SR or sticky Web and you have a recipe for destruction.

So I'm a bit confused on what a core is. It seems like a group of pokemon that have good synergy together, but is there something more than that?

So I'm a bit confused on what a core is. It seems like a group of pokemon that have good synergy together, but is there something more than that?
Kinda right. Either things that work well together for a variety of reasons.

So back in DPP UU a big core was Moltres/Venusaur/Milotic because it was rarely threatened by anything and they worked well together by giving constant safe switches.
Other cores are more offensive so Salamence/Rayquaza is also a well known core in Ubers, they have the same counters mainly, BUT they also have good ways to severely damage their counters before they die meaning the other can sweep.

Pretty much just that, yeah. Most of the time it's a defensively synergistic core, like Slowbro+Amoonguss+Heatran for a FWG (Fire/Water/Grass) core because they all cover each other's weaknesses. You'll also see a lot of 2 Pokemon offensive cores that break down walls that they share so the other has a chance to sweep or they let a third dedicated sweeper have at it.

EDIT: Damn you Brammi!

Nope, pretty much just that! xP

Fairy + Steels will work pretty well together. Azumarill + Ferrothorn seem to cover each other pretty great and Ferrothorn can whittle away at opponents so Azumarill can smash through them. I guess a strong enough Earthquake could just power through them though, so add something that's immune to that??? :0

Pretty much just that, yeah. Most of the time it's a defensively synergistic core, like Slowbro+Amoonguss+Heatran for a FWG (Fire/Water/Grass) core because they all cover each other's weaknesses. You'll also see a lot of 2 Pokemon offensive cores that break down walls that they share so the other has a chance to sweep or they let a third dedicated sweeper have at it.

EDIT: Damn you Brammi!
Alright that makes sense. So would something like Mega Charizard Y + Barbaracle could be a good offensive core?

Not exactly. They have wildly different counters, what with Charizard-Y being a special attacker and Barbaracle being a physical attacker. A core I saw used in BW2 was SD Lucario and Scarf Terrakion. SD Lucario broke through shit like Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Skarmory so Terrakion could clean up late game with Close Combat.

Not exactly. They have wildly different counters, what with Charizard-Y being a special attacker and Barbaracle being a physical attacker. A core I saw used in BW2 was SD Lucario and Scarf Terrakion. SD Lucario broke through shit like Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Skarmory so Terrakion could clean up late game with Close Combat.
Oh okay, so if I wanted to sweep with Mega Charizard Y, I'd need to run something that shuts down Rock and Electric types (the Sun deals with Water types pretty well) and Special Walls. So something like Excadrill would work well (assuming it's not banned).

Using Charizard-Y to sweep is an iffy venture at best. It's not very fast for a sweeper, can't boost its speed with a Scarf, and is 4x weak to Stealth Rock so you're getting punished extremely heavily by switching in, but that's another conversation. What you need is something that can break special walls that give Charizard trouble. This can be done with lures or trappers. Excadrill MIGHT work as Rapid Spin support, but it's not good for shutting down special walls because none would dare switch in on Excadrill for fear of STAB Earthquake. Life Orb Latios with Psyshock is a much better pair because it can hit Blissey and Chansey on their weak Defense.

Using Charizard-Y to sweep is an iffy venture at best. It's not very fast for a sweeper, can't boost its speed with a Scarf, and is 4x weak to Stealth Rock so you're getting punished extremely heavily by switching in, but that's another conversation. What you need is something that can break special walls that give Charizard trouble. This can be done with lures or trappers. Excadrill MIGHT work as Rapid Spin support, but it's not good for shutting down special walls because none would dare switch in on Excadrill for fear of STAB Earthquake. Life Orb Latios with Psyshock is a much better pair because it can hit Blissey and Chansey on their weak Defense.
100 Speed on a Flying type isn't what it used to be because of Sticky Web makes it faster relative to others. I've been having decent success with Flame Charge as well, but you're right, that's for a different conversation.

Alright that makes sense. So you want something that can destroy walls and weaknesses that isn't as predictable enough to force switches. And thinking along those lines, Zard-Y might be a better wallbreaker for another sweeper because of it's powerful STAB and decent coverage.

Azumarill/Wobuffet or (mega)Gengar/Azumarill is going to be a nasty tag-team to abuse Shadow Tag with. Shadow tag Encore or Hypnosis Gives Azumarill the one turn it needs to set up Belly drum and then sweep with Aqua Jet.

Gyarados/Lucario. They have pretty decent synergy together, defensively and check wise, and the fact that both of them get Mega Evolutions can turn conventional counter strategy on its head.

Someone keeps their Landorous - T alive late game only to have it double intimidated and set up on late game by Mega Gyarados for example

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Azumarill/Wobuffet or (mega)Gengar/Azumarill is going to be a nasty tag-team to abuse Shadow Tag with. Shadow tag Encore or Hypnosis Gives Azumarill the one turn it needs to set up Belly drum and then sweep with Aqua Jet.
That's certainly scary. Technically anything with a partial trapping move and Encore/Sleep will be able to do this as well, so discussion about how horrifying +6 Azumarill is should probably be left to the Azumarill thread!

As for a well-rounded core, I'm thinking Mawile + Salamence. With Mawile's new typing, these two combine to resist all of their weaknesses, and resist every type in the game except Electric, Ghost, and Steel. The real kicker is that both of them are relatively bulky and pack Intimidate, which will ruin your opponent's day. They have great offensive synergy as well with excellent attacking stats. Mawile's Steel STAB can destroy Fairies that stop Mence, and Mence can use Fire Blast or EQ to take out the Steels that wall MegaMawile.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Assault vest Tyranitar / physically defensive mega-Venusaur is a pairing ive been thinking about

Ttar struggles the most against heavy hitting physical attackers who eat its stab moves, such as terrakion, conkeldurr, landorus-therian, etc. Its biggest weaknesses are fighting and water which venusaur resist quite nicely. Mega-Venusaur is very bulky mon with a lot of utility options and with his ability is only weak to psychic, and flying, both of which tyranitar resist handily. These resistances not only seem nice on paper, but in practice they have some merit. COvering weaknesses is nice, but what good is covering a weakness to for example ice, when the pokemon that typically runs an ice move, also runs, for example a strong ground move that will KO your ice resistance. In this case mega-venusaur's psychic weakness blends perfectly with assault vest tyranitar. A large majority of pokemon that use psychic moves are special attackers, almost all are psychic types that can be pursuit trapped by tyranitar. Even a typical focus blast from a psychic type like alakzam, do not even 2HKO without a boosting item, whereas tyranitar's pursuit is going to hurt that same pokemon A LOT. Venusaur's fighting resistance goes well with tyranitar, most fighting types carry ghost, dark, ice and rock moves for coverage, none of which mega-venusaur is weak to. This coupled with mega venusaur's ability to roar out set up sweepers, heal with synthesis, leech seed, giga drain, deal real damage with sludge bomb, EQ or power whip and put things to sleep with sleep powder make venusaur no defensive or offensive/supporting slouch. I guess some mons like tornadus who run acrobatics/super power can pick apart this core, and mega-venusaur's lack of leftovers/good healing in the sand make this duo struggle a bit. Some other points are that mega venusaur handily resists fairy attacks which t-tar is weak to, in fact, special attacking flying or fairy types with fighting moves like togekiss' aura sphere, are going to find themselves on the wrong end of a stone edge if they think their fighting move will KO. Another point is that one of the special attackers that beats assault vest t-tar into the dirt, keldeo, whose fighting STAB targets's his defense is hopeless against venusaur. Hydro pump isnt geting through that special defense, sacred sword isnt doing anything, venusaur isnt even weak to icy wind, but strikes back with roar against a sub CM, and giga drain/power whip against any attacker.

not perfect, but I've tried it and both mons have pretty good utility.

Last edited:
Mega Sweepers are generally not like 10x stronger than their counterparts, they are still manageable and your opponent can only have one. I don't see the problem with using the Mega slot on a defensive Pokemon and I'm sure you could make a successful team without one at all (though what's the point? :P) I can see how the effects and benefits of a defensive Mega might not seem as readily apparent as with offensive ones but hey, that's how it is with regular mons too.

MenceWile does sound really interesting!!!

That MenceWile core sounds interesting. My only concern is that it takes up the MEvo slot.

Edit: Mega Venusaur and Tyranitar? Sounds like a great idea.

Am I the only person mildly paranoid about using the mega slot for defensive purposes?
No. Honestly, when I started seeing Mega Evolutions, my thought was POUR INTO OFFENSE AND CHARGE! But, after a bit, I realized the defensive ability of some of them and changed my views.

Take, for example, Mega Blastoise. He can fill the role of a bulky water that isn't horribly raped by Ferrothorn (like to see that thing live Mega Launcher Aura Spheres), can Rapid Spin and there isn't a damned thing any spinblocker outside the rare and mostly useless Spiritomb can do to stop him from spinning, and of course he beats rocks something deadly. Enter Talonflame. Talonflame is normally a quick, one hit that's it thing, but with Blastoise around to pivot into EVERY COUNTER IT HAS and also spin those Sneaky Pebbles away, it's pretty much able to blast with no regards for itself. And the best counters to Blastoise? Fast, frail pokemon and bulky Grass types... which Talonflame EATS!

So I'm going to try Mega Blastoise/Talonflame.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
That MenceWile core sounds interesting. My only concern is that it takes up the MEvo slot.

Edit: Mega Venusaur and Tyranitar? Sounds like a great idea.

Am I the only person mildly paranoid about using the mega slot for defensive purposes?
You think MegaMawile is for defensive purposes? I know you're probably talking more about MegaSaur, but you shouldn't be paranoid about using a MegaEvo for a core. Technically for my MawMence core I described, you could go with normal Mawile or Klefki, but the reason I suggest MegaMawile is for the incredible offensive synergy as well as defensive.

Mence under attack from Fairy, Dragon or Ice moves? Mawile will tank those, and destroy opposing Fairies with Iron Head.
Mawile getting walled by a Steel or about to eat EQ? Mence is immune and has Intimidate, has Roost, and smashes Steels with Fire Blast or his own EQ.

After all, you'll want a Mega on your team, so why not take the time to ensure that it fits both the offensive AND defensive synergy with your team? That's what a solid core is all about.

I was thinking to a UU core...or something like that: Umbreon-Bronzong-Dragalge.

This is a "stallish" core that capitalizes on resistances and bulk. Bronzong resists every type that would destroy Dragalge -> Umbreon can pass huge Wishes and cover the new Dark/Ghost weaknesses of Bronzong -> Dragalge/Bronzong can beat Fairy types that would threaten Umbreon (also protecting it from fighting/bug moves).
And...here comes the trouble. Bronzong can't stand a powerful Pursuit, and Umbreon is just too passive to achieve its goal (beat other Ghost/Dark types one vs. one).

Mh...I think I've Failed. xD

Last edited:
CB Staraptor + SD Talonflame.

Brave Bird from Banded 'Raptor hits so hard, it is really good for luring out flying resists (of whom there aren't too many) and weakening them. If you can predict the switch, just CC them to death. Once that's done, bring in Talonflame, set up, and spam a priority +2 110 base power STAB move.
For the support,
1) Hazards ofc
2) Rapid Spin, since both are flyers
3) Aegislash is a bitch, so some way to lure in and eliminate it is advisable (lolHeatWaveStaraptor)

This core definitely has potential, so I would love to see if someone else has any suggestions on improving this core.

SD Mega Pinsir could fill in for Staraptor, forgoing Quick Attack (since Talonflame has already got Flying priority covered) for Earthquake to take out Aegislash. This would of course leave you VERY vulnerable to SR, so probably not ideal for a core.

Nope, pretty much just that! xP

Fairy + Steels will work pretty well together. Azumarill + Ferrothorn seem to cover each other pretty great and Ferrothorn can whittle away at opponents so Azumarill can smash through them. I guess a strong enough Earthquake could just power through them though, so add something that's immune to that??? :0

I'm finding I like the Steel/Fairy combo too.

I've been running Scizor/MegaGardevoir with a Volt Switch/Will O' Wisp Rotom-W to scout out threats and weaken the physical sweepers that munch Gardevoir.

Still filling in the last few slots. MegaGarchomp is my bane right now. He sweeps my Rotom and my Gardevoir, and there's nothing I can really do about it.

With the release of Generation VI we have a new type and a slew of Pokemon with unusual type pairings and stat distributions. Given the material are there any new cores that a team can be built around?

One core I plan on testing is Hydreigon/Aegislash.

Their resistances pair up perfectly and they can easily remove each others counters. Give them some SR or sticky Web and you have a recipe for destruction.
What hazard users were you thinking about for this core? And will Hydreigon actually be playable, even with Aegislash back-up, considering his extreme weakness to Fairy types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)