1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

New list of infractions

Discussion in 'Moderator Discussion' started by Misty, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Misty

Misty oh
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Okay, since there seems to be consensus on my intent to revise the infraction system, part 2 is to develop the new infractions, their values, and their lengths. Here is the preliminary list from the other topic, for reference:

- Junior Modding
    - Advertising
    - Trolling
    - Incomprehensible Post
    - Thread Necromancy
    - Insulted Other Members
    - Illegal Material (ROMs, Pirated Software, etc.)
    - Insubordination (this applies to the "don't edit back if a mod edited it" rule, but is probably also useful for people who give retarded replies to infractions)
    - Signature Violation
    - Forum Specific Rule (this is a blanket infraction for people who violate specific forum rules like the RMT board stuff)
    - Lurk More (the "general stupidity" rule)
    - Repeated Infraction (a stronger infraction for people who consistently do the same things over and over again)

As a starting point, here is how I think these should be done:

* Junior Modding: 1 pt, 90 days
    * Advertising: 2 pts, 120 days
    * Trolling: 2 pts, 90 days
    * Incomprehensible Post: 1 pt, 45 days
    * Thread Necromancy: 1 pt, 30 days
    * Insulted Other Members: 2 pts, 90 days
    * Illegal Materials: 3 pts, 120 days
    * Insubordination: 2 pts, 120 days
    * Signature Violation: 1 pt, 45 days
    * Forum Specific Rule: 1 pt, 90 days
    * Lurk More: 1 pt, 45 days
    * Repeated Offense: 2 pts, 120 days

Repeated Offense will, I think, most often be applied in the case of Forum Specific Rule, Lurk More, and Incomprehensible Post, removing the need for these infractions to be specifically strong or binding.

Advertising will generally be used on idiots who are only really here to pimp their site, so I don't think it really "matters" how strong this is, but whatever.

Trolling, Insulting, and Insubordination is crap that we really don't need to see outside of Firebot, so I want to come down pretty strictly on this.

Junior Modding, Thread Necromancy, and Signature Violation shouldn't really be used much, hopefully people will "get it" the first time, and if they don't, they can be smacked with Repeated Offense.

So yeah, that's my reasoning. Discuss.
  2. Misty

Misty oh
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Also important: Once we get this going, I want to phase out "General Misconduct". Unfortunately, I can't forcibly prevent its use without deleting it, so what I plan to do is simply delete it 3 months from the day this stuff is implemented. What this means is that I don't want anyone using the infraction within that 3 month period, so it can be deleted with no effect.
  3. Kumar

Kumar
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

sig violation can be bumped down to 30 days as it isn't really major imo.
  4. Phuquoph

Phuquoph
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I mentioned this on IRC, but I think Insubordination should be changed to avoid "what does that mean?" PMs. I like "Impudence" (actually "Heresy" or "Blasphemy" would be better) but they probably won't understand that either, so maybe "Indiscipline" or "Misconduct" would work.

I like everything else, although maybe bump Lurk More up to 90 days.
  5. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

Roger, central control.
  6. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Disrespect to staff?
  7. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I don't think the majority of our users know the meaning of the word necromancy!
  8. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

"They'll learn"

What's the rationale behind making all the infractions last so long, anyways? Even 45 days is quite a period.
  9. Misty

Misty oh

I was mostly trying to keep within the 45/90 setup of the previous set of infractions. The 120s are for cases that are usually demonstrated by people who are our most stubborn/retarded offenders - people who "pimp their site", people who ask for/post illegal shit, people who send retarded replies to infractions, and people who repeatedly do the same shit when we tell them not to. They're basically a setup for a long ban against a user who, in all honesty, should go "grow up", as I've phrased it before.
  10. Misty

Misty oh

If there is no more discussion, I will take the replies into account and implement the new infractions (and the new no-GM policy) tomorrow.
  11. Misty

Misty oh

And done.

I'm leaving this thread open - if you see an example of something that's not covered by the infraction set but breaks a rule, report it here.
  12. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

This user has not double but triple posted in this thread. I wish that action is taken, for there is not "double posting" infraction!
  13. Misty

Misty oh

Added Multiple Posting/Flooding as a very minor infraction (1pt/30 days).
  14. Kumar

Kumar
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)