OU NEW Mechanic: Sleep Talk doesn't burn Sleep Turns

Do injured Pokemon get cured when entering a wifi battle in gen 3? At least they don't in Gens 1/2. Imagine bringing a spiker and a sleeping Crobat/Aero with Sleep Talk and Roar/WW. 16 turns of excruciating pain.

Edit: Whoops, Jirachee beat me to it.
pokemon have always been fully healed for link battles on the carts since gen 2.

only gen 1 cart link battles had you battling with your mons has they were in-game.

Leppa berry would be pretty nice on this set
Oh god yes. That would be evil as f*ck. Never actually knew sleep turns worked this way in-game even though i used CroCune in Battle Frontier in Emerald. rip Crocune btw, sad to see it get nerfed but following the game mechanics is very important if we don't want to lose users. After all, it's based on the cartridge games.

First of all, someone tell me what the RBY discovery is. Second, LMAO! I want to make a team abusing this.
Good resource for the relatively recent RBY discoveries

There's actually a whole bunch of glitches that were discovered, but the biggest one is that moves with secondary status effects will not have that secondary status activate against pokemon of the same type (ie. Body Slam won't paralyse normal types, Thunderbolt won't paralyse Electrics. However Psychic can still inflict special drops on Psychic types, because it has to be a status). The second notable one is that if a pokemon boosts, or if it lowers the opposing pokemon's stat, and the opposing pokemon is paralysed, the speed drop from paralysis is reapplied (e.g. para'd Bro vs para'd Tauros, if Bro boosts, Tauros is now slower than it, same if Bro gets a special drop with Psychic)

Good resource for the relatively recent RBY discoveries

There's actually a whole bunch of glitches that were discovered, but the biggest one is that moves with secondary status effects will not have that secondary status activate against pokemon of the same type (ie. Body Slam won't paralyse normal types, Thunderbolt won't paralyse Electrics. However Psychic can still inflict special drops on Psychic types, because it has to be a status). The second notable one is that if a pokemon boosts, or if it lowers the opposing pokemon's stat, and the opposing pokemon is paralysed, the speed drop from paralysis is reapplied (e.g. para'd Bro vs para'd Tauros, if Bro boosts, Tauros is now slower than it, same if Bro gets a special drop with Psychic)
kk, thanks for Crystal_ for ruining RBY for us.

p2

Banned deucer.
gen1 [stadium] is a format, so there is definitely precedent for creating a gen3 [colo/XD] format

this sleep mechanic is something i've heard endless complaining from the adv playerbase over and there's finally proof that a meta can be recreated where this issue is non-existant and it caters to everyone in that it doesn't go against mechanics, it creates an alt format and it preserves both variants of current adv and obviously you can give the options to players to decide which format they want to play in like spl or other tournaments.

unless i'm missing something

edit: ugh i completely forgot about all that other stuff nvm then

Last edited:
unfortunately colo/xd also have team preview and there's also the Nice Mechanic where the pokemon on both sides have their exact hp stat (as in, swampert has 100/401 hp remaining) displayed for all to see. it would be kinda cool to have as an alternative metagame though. however I don't have any illusions about it being playable in spl/classic despite how much I'd love for restalk to come back

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
That is irrelevant.
We do not simulate Stadium like games
[Gen 1] Stadium is on Pokémon Showdown under challenge formats and likewise on PO. If we go with the latest release argument, RBY was the last released set of games (on the 3DS virtual console) for generation 1. Until RSE is released on virtual console or a future equivalent, XD would be the latest release I believe.

But really, I think in this case, it's about what the players want to play at the end of the day. If XD does happen to be the significantly preferred ADV, then I can't see any rule of thumb getting in the way of that. The Stadium-like games are only a thing for 4/7 generations as of now, so the cartridge rule doesn't resonate much with me at all.

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I mean as main metagames
Rby ou is not stadium (hbeam etc)
Adv ou is not xd (preview, you can see the hp of the mons, no sleep talk sleep reset)

And honestly, i prefer this adv meta

To be perfectly honest I feel like team preview and revealing HP would ruin adv way more than the ST mechanics. The information game is one of the best parts of this gen and figuring out what that unrevealed poke might be is what separates good players from great ones. Not to mention if you know HP stats, lots of things like offensive celebi, wish mence, etc lose their surprise value. RIP ST zap and all but i'll take this meta over team preview any day.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I dont think this is really a case of whether you prefer either the current or xd mechanics. This exists and its different enough to make it worth exploring. While I dont think this should replace our current adv mechanics for the reasons dan mentioned, I think this warrants the creation of a meta using xd mechanics for at least challenge/tour uses like we do with rby stadium. Think it would be a nice change of pace as well as it bringing something fresh to an aging meta.

Also free adv doubles

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Do you prefer adv with team preview and the ability to check opps hp? Because i dont
Lul sorry brah, didnt read your post like that. For sure I don't want full XD mechanics with dumb shit like team preview and exact HP stats. Thought you meant you prefer current ADV to netbattle/good sleep talk ADV, but you're actually a good player so you wouldn't make that statement.

[Gen 1] Stadium is on Pokémon Showdown under challenge formats and likewise on PO. If we go with the latest release argument, RBY was the last released set of games (on the 3DS virtual console) for generation 1. Until RSE is released on virtual console or a future equivalent, XD would be the latest release I believe.
We do not count VC releases as part of the "latest release" argument... if that argument even exists.

We simulate the English-language cartridge releases of Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/HGSS/B2W2/ORAS/USUM, as they currently exist, with the following exceptions:
  • In Gen 1, tradebacks are banned via clause.
  • In Gen 3, though we de facto simulate Emerald, either player may choose to use a simulated "cartridge" from R/S/FR/LG for Deoxys. This is only relevant in metagames where Deoxys is legal.
  • In generations that had their relevant games patched, we simulate the latest patch version of those games. In Gen 3, if either player chooses to use a simulated "cartridge" from R/S/FR/LG for Deoxys, we consider them to use the latest patch version of that game.
  • In all generations, though we de facto simulate English-language cartridges, this only applies to the cartridges that are being used during the battle. Communication with other games is allowed, with the exception of Japanese Gens 1/2 and Korean Gen 4 which cannot be communicated with because of technical restrictions.
  • Note that Korean Gen 5 can communicate with both Korean Gen 4 and English Gen 5, and Japanese Gen 7 can communicate with both Japanese Gens 1/2 (via Transporter) and English Gen 7, so no gen after Gen 4 is affected by language restrictions.

The definition of "tradebacks" has been in question recently, but had we been simulating the VC release of RBY, tradebacks would have been a moot point at the time you made your post, so it can be conclusively proven that VC is irrelevant in early gens. Note that VC games cannot internationally trade, even between two non-Japanese languages.

This post is not in any way official. I am simply stating how we've treated these situations in the past.

EDIT: Updated for USUM

Last edited:
Look -If you are/were used to excessively using Sleep Talk, you could probably blame as many wins as losses on the outcomes of what Sleep Talk selects. And then what does that actually say about your prowess as a battler?
The law of large numbers balances out luck, but leaves skill. So the only thing that you can blame your win/lose ratio on —if you have done many battles— is your skill. So if you have many battles then it actually says a lot about your prowess as a battler.

Your argument only holds for people who do few battles.

Do injured Pokemon get cured when entering a wifi battle in gen 3? At least they don't in Gens 1/2. Imagine bringing a spiker and a sleeping Crobat/Aero with Sleep Talk and Roar/WW. 16 turns of excruciating pain.

Edit: Whoops, Jirachee beat me to it.
So this means that we should actually be able to specify in the Team Builder whether our Pokemon are injured or not, at least in gens 1 and 2.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)