New Megas in OR/AS

I'm so goddamn excited for Mega Steelix. It might not be amazing, but just thinking of a TTar Meelix combo with TR support makes me all giddy.

I'd like a professional opinion about M-Beedrill, no-one actually really discussed it yet (Level 51's analysis doesn't count lol)

It sounds really really good to me. The Speed is almost unmatched (it's beaten by Deox-S/A/N obv, Ninjask M-Aerodactyl and M-Alakazam, and in that list I find only two relevant ones), it out-speeds adamant scarf lando (if my calc is correct)! Adaptability and 150 Atk is also very good, i've been trying out a little, it deals a lot of damage even when resisted... Plus, Bug and Poison STAB, while being far from the best offensive set in the Tier, might still be surprisingly good (here's a list of the pkmns on the Threat List that it deals with using STAB moves)

TTar, Cresselia, Togekiss, Lati@s, Skymin, Breloom, Ludicolo (still quicker than Beedrill under Rain, unfortunately), Azumarill, Gardevoir, Sylveon, Abomasnow, Aromatisse, Darkrai, Deoxys (quicjer than Beedrill though), Gourgeist-S, Hydreigon, Mew, Pinsir (watch out for Feint though), Weavile and Volcarona

Now I know most of them aren't that relevant either, I know that M-Beedrill is freakin' weak to priority moves, and I know that there are a lot of very common threats dealing with it. I also know it doesn't like Will-o-wisp one bit, and Intimidate car harshly reduce it's efficiency. And it's a dead weight in TR.

However, it learns U-turn. Given how important it is on scarfed landog, I feel that a quick U-turn is a huge asset to keep momentum. Plus, this U-Turn actually deals damage.

And lastly, considering U-turn and Poison Jab are two obvious moves (which could very well not be true of course), it can also learn Drill Run or Knock Off. I like better Drill Run for coverage (and OHKO lefties Heatran: 252 Atk Deoxys Drill Run vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 372-440 (110.3 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO) and Mawile, so that helps for coverage.

I find it really really cool, but I'd really appreciate some-one taking the time to give his opinion too...

Last edited:
Would a Mega Gallade Bulk Up set work? I was thinking full HP, enough speed to outspeed positive natured base 105's, and the rest on Special Defense. Jolly.
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Knock Off
Ice Punch / Substitute

okay I see how it is

I find three in this list :|
I didn't mean to be rude, but I realize that the message isn't clear at all :| No I just meant that the only time anyone talked about it was when you said "Adaptability isn't really the best on Bug / Poison STAB especially when all you have to work with in terms of moves are X-Scissor and Poison Jab. Maybe Beedrill will get Megahorn and a +200 BST boost or something.", and i felt like that was a little short. Was all I meant, sorry :|

Deoxys-A/S and M-Aerodactyl? But is that enough to assert that M-Beedrill is bad?

Gallade-Mega (M)
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch / Shadow Sneak / Knock Off / Swords Dance
- Protect

I made this Gallade set. What it does is outspeed the musketeers by 1 point and OHKOes both of them with Zen Headbutt. I put the remaining EVs in attack. The moves are simple, Close Combat is Close Combat, I already explained Zen Headbutt (252 Atk Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 342-404 (105.5 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO) and the last move is up to you. Landoge get you down? -1 252 Atk Gallade Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 288-340 (90 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO. You need some (very weak) priority? Shadow Sneak is an option. Knock Off is great coverage with good utility and SD can help turn some close 2HKOes into very easy OHKOes. Protect is protect, but it also lets you Mega Evolve to get your speed up early on so you aren't slow when you need to be fast.

Gallade-Mega (M)
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect

I made this Gallade set. What it does is outspeed the musketeers by 1 point and OHKOes both of them with Zen Headbutt. I put the remaining EVs in attack. The moves are simple, Close Combat is Close Combat, I already explained Zen Headbutt (252 Atk Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 342-404 (105.5 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO) and the last move is up to you. Landoge get you down? -1 252 Atk Gallade Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 288-340 (90 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO. You need some (very weak) priority? Shadow Sneak is an option. Knock Off is great coverage with good utility and SD can help turn some close 2HKOes into very easy OHKOes. Protect is protect, but it also lets you Mega Evolve to get your speed up early on so you aren't slow when you need to be fast.
I don't know if you were answering to me or just posting it, but my question still stands.

I don't know if you were answering to me or just posting it, but my question still stands.
I wasn't answering you in particular. Your post gave me the idea to make my set, but yours wouldn't work that well (IMO) because if you don't invest in attack then this will happen; 0 Atk Gallade Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 302-356 (85.7 - 101.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO. OHKOing kangaskhan is very important because of its raw power, and you should be able to switch in and revenge kill it / threaten it out with only Gallade. Partners do exist, but sometimes (not often) Gallade's partners have more important things to do than KO the Kang. That won't be often but you should be able to OHKO Kahn at least.

I wasn't answering you in particular. Your post gave me the idea to make my set, but yours wouldn't work that well (IMO) because if you don't invest in attack then this will happen; 0 Atk Gallade Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 302-356 (85.7 - 101.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO. OHKOing kangaskhan is very important because of its raw power, and you should be able to switch in and revenge kill it / threaten it out with only Gallade. Partners do exist, but sometimes (not often) Gallade's partners have more important things to do than KO the Kang. That won't be often but you should be able to OHKO Kahn at least.
But wouldn't Kangaskhan switch out on a (mega) Gallade, considering almost all sets OHKO it? Giving me a free setup turn. They don't know that I can't OHKO her.

Even if she does stay, she'll be faster, attack me with Return (less than 50% of my health, or up to 64% with life orb, or 73% with choice band), and I'd bulk up. Next turn I'm faster and I'd have a guaranteed KO with a 175 HP recovery.

Nevertheless, can you really judge a set by how it fares with 1 pokemon?

Gallade-Mega (M)
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect

Just a small nitpick hat you should run max speed since the hp almost always doesnt matter and you can speedtie with latios

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I didn't mean to be rude, but I realize that the message isn't clear at all :| No I just meant that the only time anyone talked about it was when you said "Adaptability isn't really the best on Bug / Poison STAB especially when all you have to work with in terms of moves are X-Scissor and Poison Jab. Maybe Beedrill will get Megahorn and a +200 BST boost or something.", and i felt like that was a little short. Was all I meant, sorry :|

Deoxys-A/S and M-Aerodactyl? But is that enough to assert that M-Beedrill is bad?
haha, i was joking as well

what I mean though is that generally glass cannons aren't much good in doubles, especially when (esp. in mega beedrill's case) they can't hold a sash to even give themselves a better chance to get an attack off. sure, mega beedrill is strong and all, but i feel that it's going to end up in the same boat as mega alakazam, used by no one at all except pomodoro.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Would a Mega Gallade Bulk Up set work? I was thinking full HP, enough speed to outspeed positive natured base 105's, and the rest on Special Defense. Jolly.
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Knock Off
Ice Punch / Substitute
I think the fact that literally nothing uses Calm Mind or Bulk Up in higher-level Doubles play (bar the very rare CM Sylveon) should say enough about sets using the moves.

although I really like mega swampert, it strikes me as a bit less of a monster than i originally thought for two reasons:

1. you don't have swift swim upon switchin. this is a HUGE hindrance, as you're stuck with an abysmal 60 base speed for your first move.
2. it does almost nothing against opposing rain. thanks to point 1., there's no chance of revenging even a weakened ludi as it proceeds to smash your head in/prevent your swampert from getting on the field.

if those two things aren't a problem, however, expect swampert to put in a TON of work.

For the M-Gallade set, feint is also workable. Slightly weaker than shadow sneak, but +2 priority and breaks protect/detect/wide guard/quickguard.

For Swampert, All you have to do is lead with him and protect. Yes you risk being Intimidate bait but then it also gives you the option to switch out. Also remember Swampert can learn wide guard, which is pretty awesome support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)