New OU List (January 2009)

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Brand new year... Brand new OU list!

This list was compiled from statistics of October, November and December taken together, with a bias of 1:3:20 respectively.

Code:
Aerodactyl
Alakazam
Azelf
Blissey
Breloom
Bronzong
Celebi
Cresselia
Donphan
Dragonite
Dugtrio
Dusknoir
Electivire
Empoleon
Flygon
Forretress
Gengar
Gliscor
Gyarados
Heatran
Heracross
Hippowdon
Infernape
Jirachi
Jolteon
Kingdra
Lucario
Machamp
Magnezone
Mamoswine
Metagross
Ninjask
Porygon-Z
Rhyperior
Rotom-A
Salamence
Scizor
Skarmory
Snorlax
Starmie
Suicune
Swampert
Tentacruel
Togekiss
Tyranitar
Vaporeon
Weavile
Yanmega
Zapdos

(49 Pokemon)
Three Pokemon are new entries in the OU list. Please welcome Empoleon, Flygon and Rhyperior. Gallade exits the OU list.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
So I'm taking it that the usage of the appliances are all under the one banner now?

Also not too suprised with the current OU list and its new inclusions, except for the fact that Electivire always somehow inexplicably always avoids dropping into BL despite the fact I never see it on ladder.

Yay, if Porygon2 hasn't gone up to OU I can use him in the UU test which means no more infernape spoiling its fun.

Does Rotom-A being in OU exclude Rotom from the UU testing, or are we making Rotom-A and Rotom different pokemon?

I swear I haven't seen a Heracross or an Electivire in the last three months, lol. Can't say I'm surprised about the new entries though, though I'm slightly disappointed that Empoleon won't be useable in the new UU.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I really wish gallade would've just stayed OU. Normally I wouldn't mind but just from theorymon I'm pretty sure that it can break the new UU. An attack stat high as heracross and gyarados, great typing, amazing movepool and swords dance. The CB set (thanks a lot to psycho cut) also absoultely wrecks shit up. If it woulda stayed OU it just would've saved some time, I think.

I'm disapointed Rhyperior isn't usable in the new UU. Nothing resists its STABs there.

Oh yeah, except for Torterra. But that's what Megahorn is for.

Electivire has reasons for still being OU. First off, Zapdos is in the top 5 meaning Electivire has plenty of chances to come in. And it still has synergy with Gyarados, another top 5.

I hardly see Gallade. It doesn't do much and is easily revenge killed. But the Bulk Up set always seems to take down a Pokemon.

Donphans probably the best spinner now that rotom is the #1 spin blocker in OU.

Donphan doesn't take super effective damage from any of rotom-Hs attacks, and has assurance/toxic/roar to use against rotom. Starmie can't exactly claim the same.

I really wish gallade would've just stayed OU. Normally I wouldn't mind but just from theorymon I'm pretty sure that it can break the new UU. An attack stat high as heracross and gyarados, great typing, amazing movepool and swords dance. The CB set (thanks a lot to psycho cut) also absoultely wrecks shit up. If it woulda stayed OU it just would've saved some time, I think.
Well, there's no real reason to worry, because if it truly is that broken, it'll be banned.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Does Rotom-A being in OU exclude Rotom from the UU testing, or are we making Rotom-A and Rotom different pokemon?
Rotom-A and Rotom are considered different Pokemon, just like Shaymin-S and Shaymin are.

Nice to see Empoleon there. Everyone says it was under-rated, but now it's got great usage and is finally where it belongs. Rhyperior is a great decision too, he's in my new team for a reason. He's totally underrated.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, the evil penguin Empoleon is finally OU. Nice to see Rhyperior and Flygon come into that list as well, as they are both of them powerful pokemon of their own accord and Flygon in particular does well in the metagame at present.

Well it does have to contend with Spiritomb in this new metagame, who is likely to be very popular given that it is the only bulky Ghost left. I do agree though that it will be interesting to see what kind of impact it will have.

Nice to see Empoleon and Rhyperior OU :D. Gallading exiting isn't surprising for me (but so as Electivire still being OU).

Well it does have to contend with Spiritomb in this new metagame, who is likely to be very popular given that it is the only bulky Ghost left. I do agree though that it will be interesting to see what kind of impact it will have.
Only Spiritomb ? Because I guess it's not quite true - if Smogon count every single Rotom form like each one of them is new pokemon (and only Rotom-A is OU) and in Smogon Server statistics each form has their own statistics. Does it mean that there will be possibility to use another forms in new UU tier ?

EDIT: Thanks for answer Lemmiwinks.

Only Spiritomb ? Because I guess it's not quite true - if Smogon count every single Rotom form like each one of them is new pokemon (and only Rotom-A is OU) and in Smogon Server statistics each form has their own statistics. Does it mean that there will be possibility to use another forms in new UU tier ?
Rotom-Appliance, i.e. all the appliance Rotoms combined. Only the weaker original Rotom will be allowed in UU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)