XY OU New OU Team help?

Hello I'm new to pokemon, played it for years but only recently got into the deeper strategic areas of it.

This is my first time actually "creating" a team with proper IVs, EV, Natures etc. Now listed bellow is my team and while I know individually the pokemon are fine I think as a team it isn't that great, I keep on losing to people with teams that understand the system clearly far better then I do.

I'm willing to switch any pokemon/adjust my strategies or move sets. I don't have access to the much older games so something like ST Chansey isn't possible.

I forgot the IVs, but my main concern is the nature, move-set and pokemon and EVs. I forgot the EVs too (I don't remember the correct amount) but I just copied one of the various builds on this site under OU.

Metagross@choice band
Clear body
Adamant

Zen Headbutt
Meteor Mash
Hammer Arm
Earthquake

I chose this as my main counter to fairly type pokemon overall.

Tyranitar@Soft Sand
Hasty
Sand Steam

Stone Edge
Crunch
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast

Stealth Rock set up.

Garchomp@Choice band
Sand Veil
Jolly

Dragon Claw
Crunch
Earthquake
Stone Edge

This is used as my physical sweeper.

Starmie Leftovers
Timid
Natural Cure

Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Hydro Pump
Rapid Spin

Alakazam@Life Orb
Timid
Magic Guard

Psychic
Substitute
Focus Blast
Energy Ball

I use this as my special sweeper

Gengar@Gengarite
Timid
Levitate

Sludge Bomb
Shadow Ball
Destiny Bond
Focus Blast

I don't know why this team seems so fragile, I get sweeped constantly, and crippled by poison and ice and fighting. Maybe I'm not using this team the right way since I keep on losing battles against other strategically made teams.

What're your thoughts?
What Pokemon should I swap out?
Or what move sets should I use instead?
Any other thoughts?

Pent

dumb broad
Please read the rules of the RMT section of Smogon before making a new thread. But other than that...

Welcome to Smogon! It's good to see new members join the community. Now on to your team.

Sorry to say, but Mega Gengar was banned quite a while ago, so may I suggest you run Mega Metagross and a Life Orb variant of Gengar? They both get the job done, and I think it would help your team in the long run. Run Scald on Starmie for better accuracy, since you're running Leftovers. On Tyranitar, instead of Soft Sand, run Smooth Rock. Now on Garchomp, make it a Scarf Chomp so you can outspeed quite a few things. Band Chomp is rarely used anyomre because it can get shot with Ice Beam from Greninja easily. And make sure to run Rough Skin on Garchomp to get some more damage for switch ins.

Here are the sets for Gengar and Metagross.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Dark Pulse/Focus Blast

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash

Hope it helped.

Okay, I didn't know about Mega Gengar.

Are there any pokemon I should switch out completely?

I just realized that my Garchomp has sand veil, is that banned?

Pent

dumb broad
Okay, I didn't know about Mega Gengar.

Are there any pokemon I should switch out completely?

I just realized that my Garchomp has sand veil, is that banned?
No, Sand Veil is not banned, but Rough Skin is recommended since Ttar can be rather frail to fighting types. Rough Skin can also help with physical pokemon, like Scizor or Talonflame.

I would switch out Starmie for Excadrill, since it helps with its Sand Rush ability. Here's a set.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill helps with your hazards and can be very fast in the sand storm, that's why I recommended Smooth Rock, which makes Sandstorm last 7 turns instead of 4, to prolong the Sand storm to help your team. :)

EDIT: Instead of Alakazam, run a Greninja set, since you have coverage for Fighting and Poison types.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 212 Sp Atk / 40 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump/Scald/Surf
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam/Extrasensory
- Dark Pulse

Last edited:
No, Sand Veil is not banned, but Rough Skin is recommended since Ttar can be rather frail to fighting types. Rough Skin can also help with physical pokemon, like Scizor or Talonflame.

I would switch out Starmie for Excadrill, since it helps with its Sand Rush ability. Here's a set.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill helps with your hazards and can be very fast in the sand storm, that's why I recommended Smooth Rock, which makes Sandstorm last 7 turns instead of 4, to prolong the Sand storm to help your team. :)
So other then that my team isn't that bad?

Not bad, but a little outdated. Would you like to try it out against me?
Sure,

Well I based it on what various people were saying it good. But since this is outdated I am going to use Mega Gengar :D Got to give myself an upper edge. Though I still tend to lose with Mega Gengar lol

Pent

dumb broad
My friend code is: 0404-6293-6315

Just have to make room on friend list
4742-5971-3203 but did you read my previous post? I think you would thoroughly enjoy play.pokemonshowdown.com , since you can make teams without all the effort of super training and all the moves/evs/ivs/etc you could dream of. It's great for testing out teams and then finalizing them in X/Y or OR/AS.

4742-5971-3203 but did you read my previous post? I think you would thoroughly enjoy play.pokemonshowdown.com , since you can make teams without all the effort of super training and all the moves/evs/ivs/etc you could dream of. It's great for testing out teams and then finalizing them in X/Y or OR/AS.
Oh, yeah I did I just wouldn't mind a 3DS match, this team was created and completed months ago. So the time is spent xD

Next time I'll use this Pokemon Showdown to test the team instead. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)