XY OU New to competitive battling -help needed.

OK hi there I'm really new to competitive battling and just built my first every OU team. I read up on loads of the basic things and teambuilding stuff and looked at analysis on Smogon and decided to have a go. If this team is terrible it wouldn't suprise me but it seems to be doing ok considering my noobiness.

Team Building Process:

Because of my lack of knowledge this is probably not the best but it shows my thought processes and you can show me where I am wrong by evaluating these.

I decided I wanted to try a hyper offensive team with a dual screens/set up sweepers as a wind condition so I looked at recomended suicide leads dual screeners and azelfs high speed and attack seemed the perfect pick. Tyranitar's good natural bulk appealed to me as I felt with a good typing and with screen support it could set-up fairly easily and begin to decimate after a DD and if I can get 2 then it's often fatal. I also heard that TTar + Excadrill is quite popular and rain teams were on the rise (don't qoute me just something I read) so I thought it might be beneficial to have a weather. I then wanted something that could deal with fighting and physical threats towards TTar and I heard talonflame was really good so I slapped that on as it is a really good wallbreaker with roost + will o wisp and can set-up bulk up to make it tank a lot of hits. With light screen up the specially defensive set can even tank water attacks. I then noticed bulky waters were a big threat so I put on greninja +grass knot + extrasensory to further hit fightings. Ice beam also helps cover dragons that aren't weak to stone edge. I then wanted a special sweeper to set-up on physically defensive pokemons and I noticed faster water threats such as starmie or keldeo could still damage the majority of my team so I went with nasty plot agility thundurus I because it's special attack is already so huge that often an agility boost can be enough to sweep. Finally I felt that rapid spin support might be appreciated for talonflame and another naturally speedy threat might be good and from what I've heard about TTar + Excadrill I slapped it on.

Azelf @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Explosion

This was supposed to be my suicide lead but I've found that a lot of teams try to set-up on me so once the right screen is up I switch to my own set up sweeper and jut decimate them because they can't punch through the screens, which allows me to reserve azelf if they manage to get a rapid spin/defog on me as better players make better predictions and switches and can manage to squeeze one in even if I try to keep a lot of pressure on. SR is SR and needed to secure OHKO's (or so I've read haven't done too many damage calcs) Jolly nature to outspeed as many things as possible to try and set up the appropriate screen and SR before it is KO'd. The smogon analysis suggested Taunt to try to force out other leads and I haven't tried this but I felt with rapid spin support this was less needed. Explosion can KO a lot of thing and surprises a lot of people. Even if it doesn't KO it makes a huge dent which gale wings brave bird often clears up.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge

Standard set off smogon and it works really well once it set's up it's able to put huge chunks of damage on the board. Stone Edge covers a lot of things and fire punch for lured ferrothorn and scizor as at +2 it is always a OHKO

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Sand rush is to abuse sandstorm and just hit really hard although I have noticed that it's a bit weaker than I thought it would be. Rapid spin is to support switches for momentum and talon flame support although with priority roost it isn't always needed. I feel this is the weakest link on my team right now and it has the same weaknesses as a lot of my pokes and will probably be better off as a a pokemon that has a better type/defensive synergy with the team as a whole. I think the main problem is that it offers really similar coverage to TTar but it's moves bar EQ just lack the BP to hit that hard. Rock Slide doesn;t do enough on a neutral hit tbh.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

This is honestly the best pokemon on the team. The other pokes hit so hard that late game this clears up with priority brave bird. Will o wisp and roost allows it to stall/wall break really effectively and forces a lot of switches to let you set up a couple of brave birds. I chose the specially defensive set as will o wisp + bulk up makes it's physical defensive really strong so it actually becomes a huge tank/wall especially with screens up. Leftovers + roost mean you can spam brave bird for a long time. Are they any significant priority users that outspeed and threaten this that warrant more speed ev's. I am not aware of the metagame enough to knwo sorry. 248 hp for SR.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory
- Ice Beam

This is quite similar to excadrill in that it offers really fast hard hits but on the special side. However it has better defensive and offensive synergy and great coverage especially with stab on everything. Grass knot is my main answer to swampert/quagsire (which is actually good against me with unaware), it also hits opposing greninja hard. Extrasensory is to answer keldeo's that threaten talon/Tatr/exca. Ice beam is for dragons and glsicor/landorous. Would an expert belt set be a good idea to bluff a choice set set to lure in things. Like baiting a keldeo if they think your locked into hydro pump.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Agility

I wasn't sure which form to pick as prankster T wave seemed nice but all my things were so speedy anyway it didn't seem needed.The access to agility with it's huge sp atk with modest seemed more useful as volt absorp allows to to set-up on thunder attacks aimed at talonflame and greninja as well as ground attacks on TTar and excadrill.

Exportable:
Azelf @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Explosion

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory
- Ice Beam

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Agility

In conclusion the team seems to run like set up screen(s)/rocks and explosion their lead then set up a thundorous/ttar/ and make huge dents in their team with it and all the other heavy hitters. Then late game finish up with talon flame and excadrill in sand. It seems to do it's job well however I think the move coverage is suboptimal as it lacks fighting, dragon, bug, dark, fairy, posion attacks completly and only has certain types once and not enough to counter checks/counters imo. Excadrill is a bit too similar to TTar to me but not as good and rapid spin access does not outweigh that for me.

Threats:
Scarfed/Specs Greninja can hugely dent all of my pokes with a combonation of hyro pump and ice beam which I think every set runs.

Dragons that have set-up as I don't have anything that can really take a dragon attack.

There's probably a lot of stuff I've missed/failed to mention but that's just my noobiness so sorry. I've put as much analysis as I can into this so if it is lacking I'm sorry. Sorry I don;t know how to do spoilers and find good sprites. So hopefully my next RMT will have better formatting next time :)

Anyway thanks in advance if you read this and took the time to reply nad help me.

Your team is actually really solid for a first timer. I just have a couple of recommendations and possible playstyle tips for this team.

Thunderous-Therian: It's by no means a bad pokemon, but most teams have multiple checks to it. Because of this, I would stick to one setup move and use focus blast to get past these checks like ferrothorn more easily. However, I believe that your team might be better suited to a wall breaker like Kyurem Black or Keldeo.
Something like this would work well I think.
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Outrage

With this set, you get incredible ice/ground/electric coverage with an incredibly powerful outrage. This set is a solid stall breaker as well as a nice bulky compliment to the rest of your frail team. Running a set with substitute is also quite nice to take advantage of predictions from your opponent. You can run kyurem black a number of ways, so try a few other sets out as well if you are so inclined.

Make sure to play your Azelf safely. Defog can easily blow screens away with rocks, so if you think that your opponent might be able to easily rid themselves of these hazards, keep Azelf for later on in the match. It doesn't always have to be a lead.

For Greninja, hydro pump is a decent option, but I generally prefer the reliable surf. It's up to you, but you may want to give it a try.

Anyway, I hope I was helpful!

Thank you for the reply. Yeah I never played this gen before and defog really screwed me lol.
I'll probably try out your suggestions.

I take it you did not see any other noticeable flaws then?

Thank you for the reply. Yeah I never played this gen before and defog really screwed me lol.
I'll probably try out your suggestions.

I take it you did not see any other noticeable flaws then?
I've never been great at finding flaws with hyper offense, so I didnt really want to delve too deeply into it. Personally, I like banded tflame and dont know if mega ttar and exacdrill go as well together as regular ttar and excadrill, but honestly I've seen your setups work just fine and havent had much of an opportunity to try them myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)