New to competitive, Help with NU Team needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so i've always been subscribed to BlameTruth's channel and enjoyed watching his pokemon videos and i've played the game since Red but never competitively until i saw Showdown and such. I think i know how competitive works now and would like help/guidance on this team it would be much appreciated! I'm pretty new so if you think i'm out of the loop on something please do tell :)

This is a fairly offensive team i think:

Rampardos @ Choice Band 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Mold Breaker
-Crunch
-Zen Headbutt
-Head Smash
-Superpower

I liked Rampardos' ability to OKO anything when in the right situation it is a beast with its incredible attack and stab from Head Smash i try to keep him alive for a while when hazards and stuff are prevented.

Braviary @ Choice Scarf 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Defiant
-Superpower
-U Turn
-Brave Bird
-Return

Braviary has a nice movepool and i like to use it as my lead as it's an almost guaranteed U-Turn with choice scarf if i need it.

Shiftry @ Life Orb 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4HP
Chlorophyll
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse
-Giga Drain
-HP Fire

I decided to go with a special attacking Shiftry as some people do not expect the moves and sent out a physical wall for it to be hit by a dark pulse etc.

Wartortle @ Eviolite 248HP, 172 Def, 88 SpD
Torrent
-Rapid Spin
-Foresight
-Scald
-Toxic

Pretty much Wartortle is my defensive wall with rapid spin for hazards, scald for a burn chance/supereff move and toxic because we all love toxic!

Haunter @ Life Orb 4HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Levitate
-Substitute
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-HP Ground

I liked Haunter's typing, good speed and spA. It has some good immunities and with HP Ground it can kill things like Armaldo, Regirock and Skuntank which i love.

Lapras @ Leftovers 248HP, 252 SpD, 8 SpA
Water Absorb
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Heal Bell
-Roar

Lapras is my SpD wall and is decent at what i want it do, It also does good dmg with it's base SpA with Ice Beam and Thunderbolt chunking ground,flying and grass pokemon.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon! I would put a little more in your descriptions (general minimum is 3 lines) because that would give raters more insight into your team, your playstyle, and your overall strategy. Mention stuff like WHY you chose the Pokemon/set/item/EVs, WHY you chose a particular role/Pokemon over something else, and what your overall strategy to win is. You are also missing the NATURE of your Pokemon, so it is an incomplete RMT as well.

I won't give you a full rate, but I would suggest Choice Band Sawk over Rampardos. Unless you have a very important reason for it, Sawk is just better than Rampardos in every role. It has similar power with no recoil, has Mold Breaker to beat many Stealth Rock users, has the SPEED to outpace most of them (bar Miltank), has a super effective STAB move against them (so no need for Earthquake/Superpower), and is much more threatening to the overall metagame.

For Lapras, I see no real reason for it. It's typing not only clashes with Wartortle, it also isn't a wall per se. At best it is a defensive pivot, which you really don't need for such an offensive team. If you really want Heal Bell, you might try out Audino instead as it also can pass decent Wishes to your team (and with Regenerator allowing it to recover HP, you don't lose as much momentum trying to keep Audino at high health). Speaking of Wartortle, it isn't terribly necessary for your team if you take my suggestions since only Braviary is weak to them. Seismitoad is just one of many possibilities for the role since it can set up Stealth Rock for your team to allow for some helpful residual damage. It also prevents your opponent from recklessly spamming Volt Switch and lures in Grass-type attacks for Braviary, Shiftry, and Haunter to switch into.

Thanks for the fast reply! Thanks for the tips on how to write an RMT too i'll remember that for the next time if i make one. I'll try your ideas out and i guess Sawk is a better Rampardos, So what should i try with Wartortle and Lapras do i swap both out or keep one do you think?

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hello,

The descriptions on this team are really lacking atm, as the rules state you need at least 3 lines per Pokemon. Try to expand on what role each Pokemon plays, and why you chose that specific moveset or EV spread.

PM me your updated descriptions and I will unlock this thread for you. Welcome to Smogon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)