1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

New to competitive Pokemon

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Mack10K, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mack10K

Mack10K

First I would like to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Mack, and I am currently interested in entering the world of competitive Pokemon. I have played every single Pokemon game (not the spin offs) and am currently playing through White 2. Pokemon has always been a huge part of my life, and I played my very first game (Blue) at the age of 14. I have been happy to see the game grow into many different generations. Besides Pokemon I enjoy playing the guitar, reading, writing, and drawing.

That being said, off to the topic of my thread. I am new to this, I have downloaded Pokemon Online and messed around with it a little bit. I know how to build a team (with online, not really a competitive team) and have done a few battles. So looking around I have noticed an overwhelming amount of information, and it seems a bit daunting to soak in. I know three things I want to accomplish:

1. Learning the meta game. What is the best way to do this? I thought it would be by copying a good team from some one and using it. Otherwise suggestions?

2. Play the VGC format. I want to do official Nintendo rules and ect. Plus double battles are fun. :)

3. Have the most annoying team I possibly can. I want my opponents to pull their hair out. I don't necessarily want the best team, I want an annoying team to push people off balance.

I know just getting into this won't make me good enough for this VGC, but I do want to get ready for the next one. So if people could guide me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
  2. Otterz

Otterz

First of all, welcome to Smogon! I'm not an expert so if anyone would like to correct me on some of my opinions please do so.

1) Okay, for the metagame (considering you are focusing on VGC right now ) Copying a team would be a nice step into just to see how it works and if it would fit your playstyle. Two other valuable tools which helped me personally get into the VGC scene are the VGC Rate My Team Page and the Strategy Pokedex. Just play around with teams until you understand how the metagame works are comfortable enough to try and make a team of your own. As a side note if you are practicing on Pokemon Online then make sure to use the Skarmbliss VGC server where it is only VGC.

2) This goes along with #1, but if you haven't seen the rules for this year's format (assuming it will be the same as the Oct. Regional and VGC '12) look here.

3) Annoying team? xD That can be accomplished in many ways but in my opinion the worst is a team stacked with multiple pokemon that can put hindering statuses on your pokemon such as paralysis and burn. Some notable users are Sableye and Thundurus with their amazing Prankster ability allowing non-damaging moves to go first.

As for you being good enough to compete this year, there is a very wide amount of skill at the regional from Smogoners to people who don't know what EVs are. You will fit in perfectly. Saying that reminds me, if you don't know about EVs or IVs they are your best friend and a guide to them is here for EVs and here for IVs. Along with the link for the rules, there is a list of locations where regionals are this year and we would be delighted to have you attend one. Good Luck with you start to VGC!
  3. TheMantyke

TheMantyke ᴵ ᶰᵉᵉᵈ ᵃ ᵐᵒᶰˢᵗᵉʳ ᵗᵒ ᶜᶫᵒᵇᵇᵉʳ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ ᴷᶦʳᵇʸ
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

Howdy Mack! I'd be happy to clear a few things up for you.
    I think the best approach for this would to just start by getting your feet wet. Read into a little bit of the info here on smogon and on nuggetbridge, hop onto the Skarmbliss server of Pokemon online and start getting your tuckus handed to you. With the knowledge from here and other websites, you'll get a general idea of what to do and what's good. Practicing online will beat it into your head.
    If you want to practice for the VGC tournaments, you'll have to wait just a tad longer as the new ruleset has yet to be announced. However, practicing on the doubles portion of the GBU can still get you some general helpful practice that'll prove useful in any doubles format.
    If you're just starting out, you might want to take it slow and learn the ropes with common team archetypes to develop some basic skills and know how. That said, VGC has no shortage of annoying Pokemon between Sableye, Thundurus, Cresselia, Blissey, and just about every Rock Slide user.

On top of what I've said here, there's several other places for good vgc advice. Check out some of Smogon's VGC 2012 Analysis and a few tournament reports posted here and on nuggetbridge. If you've made a team you think is okay but still has some kinks to iron out, feel free to post it in Smogon's RMT section for some quick help. Finally, if you find yourself in search of some refined advice, consider enrolling in Smogon's VGC tutoring program when it resumes shortly.

Hope this helped!
  4. Mack10K

Mack10K

Thanks for the tips, I look forward to being a part of a new community. I feel like I should have gotten into this sooner. Now all I have to do is check my ego when I get advice from younger people. Seeing how I am becoming a teacher and it is the other way around for me most of the time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)