ORAS OU New To Competitive - RMT Balance

Hi! I'm LittleFoxGod, and I'm new to competitive pokemon. I've been playing since Gen I, but this is the only generation that I've actually gotten interested in competitive. I've been trying to do a bunch of research on team building, and I've come up with what I believe is a Balance team, with an emphasis on type diversity.

I've tested it out on Pokemon Showdown, playing it in 50 matches in a row. I won 33 and lost 17. The ELO i was playing at was 1200-1250, so i know it isn't a really high elo or anything, but winning more than losing is a good start, right?

Anyway, here is what I've come up with:

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Spikes

In my research, most team builders say to a pick a pokemon and work your way around that. I started with Froslass, as its a pokemon I like, and is useable as a lead. As a ghost type, Froslass is immune to Fake Out, which is useful, and something I've seen lot used against my leads. Ice beam is a STAB attacking move so it isn't helpless if taunted. Taunt is for facing other leads or to stop a setup. Destiny Bond is useful because as a lead it is likely going to suicide, and so I try to take something with it. Lastly, Spikes are my entry hazard, usually i can get 2-3 layers out before needing to destiny bond or switch out.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch

When picking a Mega Evolution, I was looking for something that offensively would be able to take on just about any type with little trouble. Mega Lopunny as a sweeper fits this bill quite well. Scrappy Lets Mega Lopunny hit just abut every type neutrally or better. However, the main reason I am using Mega Lopunny is because scrappy allows her to take on Mega Sableye, whom I've had several bad experiences with. So, I chose to deal with it by punting it via High Jump Kick, a high damage stab fighting type move, great for taking on Dark/Ghost types and just about anything else you may run into. Return is a Stab normal-type, which in tandem with High Jump Kick gives me good coverage offensively. Fake Out is taken in case of sturdy or a focus sash. Power-Up Punch is something I chose to take for the endgame, when alot of pokemon have damage on them, and it is very likely to score a KO with it, acting somewhat like Moxie, and making Lopunny even more powerful, often granting it a sweep.

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Encore
- U-turn
- Leech Seed

I chose Whimsicott because I was looking for a way to punish people who try to set up or abuse status moves. Pixie Plate STAB Moonblast OHKOs or 2HKOs most dragon types it comes into contact with. Prankster Encore sounded quite infamous in my research, and in use I've found it a great tool for helping me switch safely. U-turn Is the other half of that "switching safely," allowing for damage and a switch-in. Lastly, Leech Seed is used for residual damage and heals, which are specially useful against bulkier pokemon. I am choosing a bulkier ev spread over a speed based one, because with this spread it takes three Earthquakes from a choice banded Landorus-T for a KO.

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

In need of a Special Attacker, I chose Raikou. In my research, Electric typing was a popular type in terms of offensive damage. In OU, your only choices for electric types appear to be between Mega Manectric or Raikou. Seeing as I already have my Mega slot filled I chose Raikou. With Volt Switch, I have the ability to do some significant damage as well as change to Whimsicott or Landorus-T for the likely use of a ground type move. If they have no ground type immunity to electric, Raikou's Choice Specs Thunderbolt can very easily sweep teams. Hidden Power Ice is a OHKO to Landorus-T, should I be able to predict the switch in. Lastly, Shadow Ball is an off type special move for type coverage on ghost and psychic types, most notably Mega-Metagross, which is 2HKOed by it.

Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

The last part of my Three Cup Monte, Landorus-T. The 8 SpD EVs are so it can survive a Hidden Power Ice from a Mega Manectric. Earthquake is its main move, with STAB and Soft Sand bolstering it further. U-turn lets Landorus-T jump out while dishing out some damage. Knock off gives Landorus some more utility and drops items off of pokemon that switch in on him. Finally Stone Edge is for any flying types who try switch in to get a free entry on an earthquake. Mostly Landorus is used to keep Raikou safe from earthquakes, and to try make a shift in the flow of the battle.

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Roar
- Scald
- Toxic

The last member of my team is Blastoise. Blastoise is being used as a bulky rapid spinner/phazer to try and keep the field safe from entry hazards and anything tying to set up behind a substitute. Rapid Spin as mentioned earlier, is to clear entry hazards. Roar is used to phaze setups as well as push ghost types out to allow rapid spin. Scald is for STAB damage and burn chance, and toxic is for more status ailments. Roar is also used with this moveset to poison multiple pokemon, and also inflict damage with Spikes, should they still be in play.

Weaknesses:
Bulky Grass Types - I have a very limited coverage for grass types, and have a bit of trouble with grass types who are a little tougher to take down. (mainly Mega Venusaur, whom appeared in 6 out of 50 matches)
Toxic Spikes/Status Shuffle - While this was extremely uncommon (2 out of 50 matches), toxic spike setters and status+whirlwind users did give me alot of trouble, due to my lack of a cleric.

So there you have it, that's all I came up with. The team is diverse in terms of typing, and I tried to design it with the means of dealing with just about anything you could throw at it. I was tweaking it for about a week before I did the 50 game test, and now present it to you. Any constructive criticism is fully welcome. I would also appreciate any advice you can give me as well about building teams.

Thank you in advance for any and all time you spend helping me out.

NOTES:
- If you are curious about item selections, the league I am starting to play with has a duplicate item clause.

Hello, welcome to Smogon! :)

This is a pretty nice balance team, I do have a few rates to suggest.

First of all, Blastoise is not really good in the OU meta and is outclassed as a spinner by Starmie, which I think you should use over Blastoise. Starmie is not as passive as Blastoise, can run a great BoltBeam combination, and can also use Rapid Spin. It's Psychic typing allows it to have a useful resistance to Fighting. It also gets access to Reflect Type, which is weird but effective.

My second major rate is Choice Scarf Landorus-T > Soft Sand. The reason behind this is because all of the moves you carry on Landorus are attacking, and Soft Sand sets usually carry Stealth Rock and therefore cannot run Choice Scarf effectively. With your set however, Scarf Landorus is perfect. Also, if you run Scarf Lando-T, the EVs should be as follows: 252 Spe/252 Atk/4 Def with a Jolly Nature. This maximizes Landorus's speed and damage output.

My final, less important rate is maybe changing Power-Up-Punch to Ice Punch on Mega Lopunny. This allows you to hit all Flying types (with the exceptions of Talonflame and Charizard Y) and Ground types (main exception is Excadrill) super effectively, and OHKOs offensive Landorus-T most of the time (not if Intimidate is factored in however), which otherwise can kill Mega Lopunny fairly easily.

Hope I helped with your team!

Hey LittleFoxGod, i really like your team build but it's not balance at all. It's more of bulky offense, but i feel like your defensive pivots don't do much for you. Since you stated you wanted to build around Froslass my suggestions will be based off an offensive standpoint to benefit from Spikes.

I personally think Scolipede works better as a Spike lead than Froslass on this team since it has Toxic Spikes, which are amazing with Power-Up Punch M-Lopunny. But Froslass does have its merits over Scolipede since it has Taunt to prevent Defogging and setup, plus it spinblocks. I think Scolipede is something you should consider though, but if you opt to keep Froslass (it is what you wanted to build around after all), i think you should run Icy Wind > Ice Beam to drop Scarf and fast Pokemon's speed and be able to Destiny Bond them or Taunt them. It also helps incoming members have an advantage in speed and potentially force a switch. I'll leave the set for both Scolipede and Froslass down below.

Since you have a lead hazard setter you need ways to deter Defoggers and Spinners from getting rid of your hazards. Your Whimsicott set doesn't help with preventing hazard removal, checking stuff, and it doesn't take advantage of your hazards. So i think you should run Swords Dance Bisharp > Whimsicott to benefit from Defogs, and to threaten Starmie and Excadrill with Sucker Punch is they attempt to Rapid Spin. This also helps with your Clefable weakness, and pressures Hippowdon, bulky Garchomp, and Skarmory alongside M-Lopunny.

Your Blastoise is a momentum killer and is a free Defog / Rapid Spin for virtually all hazard removers bar Excadrill. Blastoise frankly isn't viable in OU, even its Mega form isn't all too great in the tier. So to help prevent Rapid Spins and to have a revenge killer for setup mons, i think you should run Scarf Gengar > Blastoise which outspeeds and kills Scarf Excadrill and Starmie, as well as taking out stuff like +1 Zard X, M-Gyarados, Dragonite, etc. with Destiny Bond.

Lastly, you need Stealth Rock on your team. Stealth Rock is one of the best moves in the game since it changes rolls to certain kills, and pressures switches to limit how your opponent can play. So i think you should run Stealth Rock > Knock Off on your Landorus-T, as well as run Swords Dance > U-Turn to help further pressure Hippowdon, opposing Landorus-T, and bulky Chomps, as well as guarantee an OHKO on Defoggers like Zapdos and Mandibuzz with +2 Stone Edge.

In short:

Icy Wind Froslass > Ice Beam Froslass
(or
Scolipede > Froslass, which is subjective)

Swords Dance Bisharp > Whimsicott
Scarf Gengar > Blastoise
Stealth Rock + Swords Dance Landorus-T > 4 Atks Landorus-T

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Icy Wind
- Destiny Bond
- Spikes

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor
- Megahorn

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond

Hope i was able to help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)