1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

NEWSFLASH: GigaPunch: "I am not a gimmick user" (NYC Meetup Story)

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Tangerine, Mar 26, 2009.

1. the pugilist

the pugilist
    is a Past WCoP Winner

This is a good thread

Also, that Snorlax plushie was awesome
  2. makiri

makiri My vast and supreme will shall be done!
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

So did Ernie pay for his own food this time?
  3. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

TAY has one of those crazy pokemon151 shirts :o Hypno. Man what happened to those. I thought they were gonna do all 151 but now not even the website works =(
  4. TAY

TAY You and I Know
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

OK first of all, big thanks to everyone who showed up to see me, as it was a lot of fun.

A few other comments:
    • Tangerine is all around a really cool guy, though apparently he doesn't like pictures since I know for sure that there are some with him in them! Tangerine bought me a bunch of weird Korean snacks, and none if them was spectacular...I think the worst of the bunch was these things that were basically cheetos but banana flavored. What kind of junk food is flavored like health food? Btw guys Tangermean is actually very nice.
    • Reachzero was also fun to hang out with. He was kindof our guide in the Natural History Museum and my buddy for posing in front of "pokemon" =P
    • Twist of Fate is definitely the most "normal" of all the people I met (i.e. doesn't strike you as a nerd until you spend 1.5 hours with him at McDonalds doing nothing but talking about Pokemon).
    • Giga Punch is just fucking amazing and hilarious...seriously guys we went for Thai food and he ordered fried chicken.... I also remember us going into Starbucks and him saying that we were "just idling" or something along those lines. Also ToF seriously trolled him the entire time lol
    • jrrrrrrr I named my rival after you in my own platinum game as well.
    • Junior I don't know anything about Dora but I can still be your dream boy ^__^
    Also I feel that I should elaborate a bit on my first night there. Basically I messaged caelum on the forums Friday afternoon since my plane was late, and he sent some message back. When I arrived at Laguardia I called him and his phone went straight to voicemail, so I had my girlfriend get on my smogon account and PM him to call me whenever. In the meantime, I took a bus to Columbia university, expecting him to contact me by the time I got there. When I arrived at his place at midnight and still hadn't gotten ahold of him I was a bit worried, since I really didn't want to bother my other NY friends with something so heavy at 12:30 or whenever.

I was in contact with my girlfriend regarding hotels, and after some discussion I decided to go to this place in Koreatown. However, being a really really cheap person, I didn't want to get a room at 2:00 am and have to check out 10 hours later (my girlfriend wouldn't let me go anyplace cheap...she literally would not tell me where the super cheap hotels were lol).

To pass the time, I went into McDonalds and read. And since I felt like I shouldn't sit there for an hour without ordering anything, I got something at every McDonalds I went to (probably 6-7 total). Then I would just sit there and read Sherlock Holmes stories until I got tired, at which point I would go outside and walk to the next McDonalds as the terrible east coast weather woke me the fuck up. And by the way guys, even though you cannot tell from the pictures, the only shoes I brought were a pair of flip flops. My entire time in NY I did not see a single other person wearing flip flops outside.

I got to the hotel about 11am, and since check in wasn't allowed before 1:00 I just went to the public library about 10 blocks away so that I could use my computer. A couple hours later I checked into my hotel, but instead of going to sleep I went to the Pokemon Event (no way I'm going all the way to NY and then missing this). By the time I went to sleep I had been up for around 38 hours straight >_>.

The rest is detailed very nicely in the OP by Tangerine!

EDIT: Yes, I have one of the pokemon151 shirts, and yes, it makes me feel extremely cool. I had my gf get it for me for my birthday (I'm pretty sure she didn't want to lol).

EDIT2: Besides that first night I was fine in terms of lodging...I stayed with my friend at NYU for the remainder of the trip.
  5. Veedrock

Veedrock

So, what ever happened with caelum? >_>

Looked like it was a blast. Good stuff.
  6. Solidus

Solidus

Oh wow lol. Nice read.

For some reason TAY, I always thought you were Asian. >_>
  7. Atlas

Atlas I'm the Mary!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

well new york has to have SOME class.
  8. FM

FM

gp the fruity bastard
  9. Jimbo

Jimbo take me anywhere
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Third person to say this, behind me and august lol. TAY why do you give off the asian vibe?
  10. Aldaron

Aldaron indefatigable workhorse
    is a Tournament Directoris a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administrator
    OU and IRC Leader

Sorry newbies, but I had Tay as the asian and junior as the white boy way back when shuckle was a beast on standard

can't mess with my shit
  11. junior

junior heard ur boyf was away this weekend, wanna meet at my place
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

[01:07] <junior> if you had to assume what race i am
    [01:07] <junior> what would you think i am
    [01:08] <TTS> My gut is saying black

there's always a first.
  12. the pugilist

the pugilist
    is a Past WCoP Winner

How does TAY give off an Asian vibe at all lol?
  13. TTS

TTS Articulate Potty Lid
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

If I had known about this I'd have driven up :[ Never been to NYC before!
  14. Adjunct

Adjunct

I heard the Team Rocket guy was responsible for the false giveaways. It's still Team Rocket, y'know.
  15. MegaKick

MegaKick

From now on I will always name my rival jrrrrrrr
  16. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

this was pretty good lol, there should be more of these!

man fuck you glen i kept looking through the thread trying to find out where giga gaia 12 had posted...
  17. rojo23

rojo23

this was a very good story xD
    Oh man TAY had 28 hours without sleep :|
    that's rough
  18. Duskie

Duskie Boats n Hoes

Haha,looks like quite the experience.
    Caelum <_<
  19. Arcticblast

Arcticblast
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner

:)

I wonder what this would be like in firebot

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)