Next Best Thing: Sun & Moon Ed. 1

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Hikari, c/p'd from my summer edition from ORAS

New Microsoft Paint banner to come soon :]

What is this?:
The Next Best Thing is a project where the community digs through a featured Pokemon's movepool and crafts novel sets under the objective of beating some of its common checks and counters. Through this project in the past, relatively hidden Pokemon sets between ADV and BW like SD Lucario in DPP OU or Sub-Disable Gengar in BW OU have ended up taking the respective metagames by storm. More recently in XY UU, Pursuit-trapping Mega Aerodactyl and SubCM Chandelure became very popular options as a result of this project, courtesy of UUsers Sage of the 6 and Calloflochie. Not every set that the community comes up in the project with will become metagame defining, however. In fact, a mass majority of new Pokemon sets crafted here won't end up becoming very popular in the end, which is okay.

The Process:
Each week, I will choose a different Pokemon, sometimes chosen by random, sometimes chosen by curiosity, of which participants will try to personally create a new set for that is not already on-site or in the process of being put on-site. Participants will be given 5 days to create their set, with discussion about the particular sets being promoted throughout, and on the 6th and 7th day of the week, a vote will be held to choose which user's set represented the most creative and simultaneously competitively viable set to utilize in the current UU metagame. Once the votes are tallied and a winner is crowned, the set will be archived in the OP and the process will start all over again for the next Pokemon specimen.

What are we looking for?:
Specifically, I want to stress the importance of the balance between creativity and viability when picking a set to post for the Pokemon in question. There's a very fine line between a "creative" set and a "gimmick", and this project is not meant to produce gimmicks, rather emphasize the ability to think outside the box when using a specific Pokemon in order to maximize it's potential. Having said that, I would also like to deviate from simple one move / item changes. For example, using Focus Sash over Life Orb on Crawdaunt does nothing to show any untapped potential Crawdaunt has because we already have a basic understanding of what Crawdaunt does, it just sacrifices power in order to potentially get a free set-up or hit off. The same goes for using X-Scissor over Stone Edge on SD Cobalion (To be fair, this would have been fine last gen, but Celebi is not nearly as relevant this gen), it doesn't yield productive discussion or results for the project. I am looking for sets that test what we think we know about checks or counters, so-called standards, and what it means to be viable. Maybe a particular option for a Pokemon looks inferior at first glance for that particular Pokemon, but dig deeper and try and find what it might mean in the big picture, for the entire team.​

IMPORTANT RULES:
  • Feel free to be as creative as you want, just make sure that you can prove that your set stands apart from the standard sets, especially if yours does not appear much different from the standard ones. If you do not know which sets are standard, I will edit a link in to the analyses.
  • Feel free to post replays of your set in action; this will only help everyone (including yourself) understand whether/how your set can be game changing in some particular situations.
  • Do not change your set after voting phase has started.
  • ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RESERVE SETS (You guys did a good job of that in the previous editions, don't screw it up)
  • And as voted in some previous edition that I hosted, I will also be participating in the voting process. I will count as one single vote, like everyone else.
  • During voting stage, please don't vote for your own set; if you think your own set is the best, just abstain from the vote.

Final Words before I commence this:
  • As addressed in the last ORAS edition, will there be Microsoft Paint© trophies this time? Again, maybe, but no promises because I'm a lazy fuck
  • This project is, and was, meant to be a temporary project; there are only so many 'mons in this meta that have diverse movepools to play around with, so I expect this to last a few months. With that being said, buckle down, put on your thinking glasses, and fire away!
On that note, the Pokemon selected will always be on the thread title.
Nomination deadlines will always be sometime on Wednesday morning and
Voting deadlines will always be sometime on Friday morning

Last edited:

dingbat

snek
Reserved for archive

Latias @ Psychium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 Spe (200 HP / 36 SpA / 24 SpD / 248 Spe)
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stored Power
- Refresh
- Recover
- Calm Mind

The objective with this set is actually rather simple: Remove Dark types from play, find a good opportunity for set up and attempt to sweep. This set has the potential to single-handedly dismantle stall thanks to Refresh and Stored Power becoming strong enough to even break through Unaware users with ease at +6 (it'll probably have to be the last 'mon because of phazing but yeah it works). There's a better EV spread for this but I can't remember of the top of my head so I'll just update this later with what it does. Near maximum Speed investment allows Latias to properly function as a check to various Fighting types, namely Cobalion, Terrakion, and Infernape, while underspeeding other Latias so that it can reliably Recover on the Draco Meteor assuming it has used Calm Mind at least once. The HP and SpDef investment avoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Draco Meteor at +1 SpDef, assuming Recover is used on the turn the first Draco Meteor is used. It also avoids the OHKO from Devastating Drake at +1 SpDef, and even though it will be forced out afterwards, wasting the Z-Move can come in handy for an attempt to sweep at a later point. The HP EVs also reduce damage taken from Stealth Rock, Sandstorm/Hail and Burn. 36 SpA ensure the OHKO on Mega Aerodactyl with Shattered Psyche at +1. Psychium Z is the main item choice, allowing Latias to hit hard early on without having to rely on multiple Calm Mind boosts, but Leftovers is also a valid option to increase its durability. Colbur or other resist berries (maybe Haban or Yache) can help Latias stomach a (physical) hit from faster 'mons or priority attacks.

you trippin? (Krookodile) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 4 Def / 176 SpD / 88 Spe
Careful Nature
- Power Trip
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

thats right, your eyes are not betraying you. this IS real. if you liked the stored power lati set from last week you wil adore this one. for those of you who arent familiar, POWER TRIP is the physical equivalent of stored power with the exception of being a dark type move instead of psychic. yes, that is indeed correct, a DARK type move and we all know that dark is the best offensive typing in the game by a long shot. no other coverage needed. just bulk up to your hearts content and see your opponent crumble under the pressure that this monster applies. what was that? 'fairies resist dark' you say?

Togekiss @ Fightium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 144 HP / 112 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

You OHKO Bulky Scizor, Mega Steelix, Mega-Aero, most non-AV Metagross, and Empoleon after a boost and Z move (although Mega-Aero can KO you first). Blissey also takes a big chunk and you can KO with prior damage or try to flinch it down.

Weavile also dies without the Z move and Krookodile/Sharpedo Mega/ Mamoswine dies with the Z move without the boost, although you had a good match up with that anyways.

It's pretty much a better version of the Flamethrower set if you don't need the instant KO on Scizor and if you have a free Z-slot. Always possible to mix up the HP and SpA evs, right now the SpA is to OHKO Bulky Scizor with +2 All Out Pummeling after SR 100% of the time. I do recommend max speed for Mamoswine though.

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spa
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Work Up
- Moonblast

Bulky Primarina was already a solid Pokemon due to awesome defensive typing, but without Specs the loss of power really sucked. CroMarina solves that by letting you boost to frightening levels after just a few turns, and it finds ample opportunities to do so with Weavile/Lati/Blastoise and co running around. This set also has a real nice matchup vs Stall if you manage to wear down or kill their Tentacruel. It sucks that it doesn't get Calm Mind so no eating Electric attacks after boost :/ but it's still a neat set. Big downside is Scizor sets up on you but they won't try to until you reveal no Scald.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 76 SpD / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Sand Tomb
- Roost

Stallbreaker Gliscor with a trapping twist. Fucks with fat teams that try to beat stallbreaker Glisc by switching around. 4-5 turns of trapping with residual damage from both Sand Tomb and Toxic are generally sufficient to prevent things like having stall try to endlessly switch between Mola/Blissey to reset tox turns and run Gliscor out of PP.

witty key joke (Klefki) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 160 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave/Toxic
- Spikes
- Recycle

not optimal ofc but the 50% pinch berries are by no means resticted to be used by gluttony mons only. even with investment klefki doesnt easily sponge hits but its just bulky enough to surive most super effective coverage moves like eq from m-aerodactyl, drill run from m-beedrill or heat wave from m-pidgeot. afterwards, klefki threatens to cripple them with a thunder wave which opens up an opportunity to recover health instead with recycle. in theory its cool vs fatter teams too since you can spike up all day long on passive mons like blissey which relies on seismic toss to wear down opposing passive mons like klefki itself. however, its unfortunate that this tech doesnt allow klefki to check weavile better since recycle doesnt restore knocked items ._.

Infernape @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Timid Nature / Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock / Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp / Taunt
- Slack Off
- Flamethrower / Low Kick

Given how dominant Weavile, Jirachi and Scizor are a pokemon like this is kinda cool? Its typing is a great way to deal with 2 pokemon that have become extremely extremely good, even more so than before, after the drops have taken place. I think Rocky Helmet is a cool idea to punish Jirachi and Scizor's U-turns and can wear Weavile down quickly in conjunction with Life Orb (although Helmet would only have a one time use in this case). EV spread allows it to creep Krookodile while still remaining fairly bulky. Slack Off allows it to be a sustainable answer to the aforementioned pokemon. Personally I like rocks on the set though I could see justification for the other fillers. just make sure this set has a way to touch scizor i.e don't run rocks and taunt and low kick on the same set.

Last edited:

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Latias @ Electrium Z / Waterium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder / Surf
- Calm Mind

Latias can lure some of its most common checks with the correct Z-move of choice. With Z-Thunder Latias is able to lure common switch-ins such as Empoleon, Togekiss & Scizor and OHKO with a +1 boost (also covering bulky waters); whilst Z-Surf achieves a similar result aimed at luring m-Steelix whilst still covering Scizor. Z-Thunder by virtue of its coverage is able to threaten bulky/balance builds; where as, Z-Surf threatens common Stall builds. This version of Latias can function as very effective wall breaker for its team; and is really what makes Latias a top tier threat.

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht

Latias @ Colbur Berry Psychium Z
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 Spe 200 HP / 36 SpA / 24 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stored Power
- Refresh
- Recover
- Calm Mind

The objective with this set is actually rather simple: Remove Dark types from play, find a good opportunity for set up and attempt to sweep. This set has the potential to single-handedly dismantle stall thanks to Refresh and Stored Power becoming strong enough to even break through Unaware users with ease at +6 (it'll probably have to be the last 'mon because of phazing but yeah it works). There's a better EV spread for this but I can't remember of the top of my head so I'll just update this later with what it does. Near maximum Speed investment allows Latias to properly function as a check to various Fighting types, namely Cobalion, Terrakion, and Infernape, while underspeeding other Latias so that it can reliably Recover on the Draco Meteor assuming it has used Calm Mind at least once. The HP and SpDef investment avoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Draco Meteor at +1 SpDef, assuming Recover is used on the turn the first Draco Meteor is used. It also avoids the OHKO from Devastating Drake at +1 SpDef, and even though it will be forced out afterwards, wasting the Z-Move can come in handy for an attempt to sweep at a later point. The HP EVs also reduce damage taken from Stealth Rock, Sandstorm/Hail and Burn. 36 SpA ensure the OHKO on Mega Aerodactyl with Shattered Psyche at +1. Psychium Z is the main item choice, allowing Latias to hit hard early on without having to rely on multiple Calm Mind boosts, but Leftovers is also a valid option to increase its durability. Colbur or other resist berries (maybe Haban or Yache) can help Latias stomach a (physical) hit from faster 'mons or priority attacks.

This set requires patience for proper excecution.

EDIT: I updated the spread and the item choice, and added an explanation as to what the spread accomplishes.

Latias vs. Latias:
252 SpA Latias Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. +1 200 HP / 24 SpD Latias: 296-350 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. +1 200 HP / 24 SpD Latias: 257-304 (73.2 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
-2 252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. +1 200 HP / 24 SpD Latias: 133-156 (37.8 - 44.4%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Latias vs. M-Aerodactyl:
+1 36 SpA Latias Shattered Psyche (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Aerodactyl-Mega: 301-355 (100 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]

when u really, really, really, r e a l l y want the mega-pert sweep, you can use this lati! Rain dance on the sac so pert can immediately start wrecking shit. if its late game, healing wish pert up so it can wreck shit all over again. HP fire bc scizor is annoying and giving it momentum is annoying. Draco bc stab and scarf lati handily outspeeds opposing perts in rain lol. pretty much none of these moves are great to be locked into but if ur using rain do u really care

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.

Latias @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stored Power
- Refresh
- Recover
- Calm Mind

The objective with this set is actually rather simple: Remove Dark types from play, find a good opportunity for set up and attenpt to sweep. This set has the potential to single-handedly dismantle stall thanks to Refresh and Stored Power becoming strong enough to even break through Unaware users with ease at +6 (it'll probably have to be the last 'mon because of phazing but yeah it works). There's a better EV spread for this but I can't remember of the top of my head so I'll just update this later with what it does. Colbur or other resist berries (maybe Haban or Yache) can help Latias stomach a (physical) hit from faster 'mons or priority attacks.

This set requires patience.

Probably this is a very good set but maybe change the listed Colbur Berry because you can't hit Darks anyways. I actually don't see what's wrong with Leftovers as you can't do much with resist berries (no way to retaliate after stomaching a hit).

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
The idea behind Colbur is that it helps escaping Pursuit once. You still want to use Latias' defensive capabilities to stomach a hit, Recover and then pivot from there. It is at these moments Latias becomes vulnerable to Pursuit. However, Leftovers is most definitely a valid option for an item choice on this set, benefitting its durability.

To be honest, maybe even Psychium Z could be worth it because it gives Latias a more powerful strike (160BP) early on without having to rely on set up that much.

Last edited:

Notily

dirt rich

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Grass Knot / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Fire] / Healing Wish / Trick

Scarf Defog Latias is an interesting set that I've been running lately that offers some solid role compression. Draco is self explanatory, Psychic STAB is whatever you prefer (I like psychic to get the 2hko on coba while still 2hko'ing prim after rocks, + scarf isnt really going to be beating blissey). The last slot is super flexible, with gknot being my favorite option to beat mpert with rain up.

This set allows for some mindgames early game, as you can defog so that your opp assumes you're an offensive defog set and then bust it out later for a revenge kill on some threatening late game mons (m-bee, +1 shark, etc). Being locked into defog is ass, but i rarely ever find that i want to keep lati in for more than 1 turn early game anyways due to the prevalence of pursuit trappers rn.

Last edited:

dingbat

snek
Hi,

After consulting with my own useless brain, I'm going to shift deadlines because 9 days for this week's nominations is way too long, especially if every other week will have 5-day nominations. Also most of us will probably end up liking this new 7-day alignment better because weekend voting was always kinda bleh anyways and it literally takes 10 seconds to post a vote lol.

Deadline will now be Wednesday mornings (26th for this week) instead of Saturday, and voting will end on Friday mornings instead of Monday mornings.

Latias @ Eject Button
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost/Hidden Power Fire
- Calm Mind

Saw this on a WCoP Latios set, and, in theory, should work very well in this metagame against a lot of the Pursuit trappers in the tier.
- Set capitalizes on fact that Latias is Pursuit-bait (i.e. Scizor, Krook, Weavile, A-Muk)
- Survives Pursuit from all four of them when Latias doesn't switch, triggering item
- Gives free switch-in to Pokemon w/ favorable match-up against aforementioned Pokemon

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Why wouldn't you just use Colbur? That lets you soak up other Dark type moves easier without needing to predict pursuit vs knock against mons like Krook and Weav. The set you saw was designed to be used alongside dugtrio because Latios can switch into typical dugtrio targets, live a hit and guarantee the trap. It also kind of fails as an eject button mon in this tier due to how much it takes from Scizor U-Turn, the main draw of running eject button Pokémon in this tier, in order to trap with mag.

dingbat

snek

Latias @ Electrium Z / Waterium Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder / Surf
- Calm Mind

Latias can lure some of its most common checks with the correct Z-move of choice. With Z-Thunder Latias is able to lure common switch-ins such as Empoleon, Togekiss & Scizor and OHKO with a +1 boost (also covering bulky waters); whilst Z-Surf achieves a similar result aimed at luring m-Steelix whilst still covering Scizor. Z-Thunder by virtue of its coverage is able to threaten bulky/balance builds; where as, Z-Surf threatens common Stall builds. This version of Latias can function as very effective wall breaker for its team; and is really what makes Latias a top tier threat.

Latias @ Colbur Berry Psychium Z
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 Spe 200 HP / 36 SpA / 24 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stored Power
- Refresh
- Recover
- Calm Mind

This set requires patience for proper excecution.

EDIT: I updated the spread and the item choice, and added an explanation as to what the spread accomplishes.

Latias vs. Latias:
252 SpA Latias Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. +1 200 HP / 24 SpD Latias: 296-350 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. +1 200 HP / 24 SpD Latias: 257-304 (73.2 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
-2 252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. +1 200 HP / 24 SpD Latias: 133-156 (37.8 - 44.4%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Latias vs. M-Aerodactyl:
+1 36 SpA Latias Shattered Psyche (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Aerodactyl-Mega: 301-355 (100 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]

when u really, really, really, r e a l l y want the mega-pert sweep, you can use this lati! Rain dance on the sac so pert can immediately start wrecking shit. if its late game, healing wish pert up so it can wreck shit all over again. HP fire bc scizor is annoying and giving it momentum is annoying. Draco bc stab and scarf lati handily outspeeds opposing perts in rain lol. pretty much none of these moves are great to be locked into but if ur using rain do u really care

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Grass Knot / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Fire] / Healing Wish / Trick

Scarf Defog Latias is an interesting set that I've been running lately that offers some solid role compression. Draco is self explanatory, Psychic STAB is whatever you prefer (I like psychic to get the 2hko on coba while still 2hko'ing prim after rocks, + scarf isnt really going to be beating blissey). The last slot is super flexible, with gknot being my favorite option to beat mpert with rain up.

This set allows for some mindgames early game, as you can defog so that your opp assumes you're an offensive defog set and then bust it out later for a revenge kill on some threatening late game mons (m-bee, +1 shark, etc). Being locked into defog is ass, but i rarely ever find that i want to keep lati in for more than 1 turn early game anyways due to the prevalence of pursuit trappers rn.

Latias @ Eject Button
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost/Hidden Power Fire
- Calm Mind

Saw this on a WCoP Latios set, and, in theory, should work very well in this metagame against a lot of the Pursuit trappers in the tier.
- Set capitalizes on fact that Latias is Pursuit-bait (i.e. Scizor, Krook, Weavile, A-Muk)
- Survives Pursuit from all four of them when Latias doesn't switch, triggering item
- Gives free switch-in to Pokemon w/ favorable match-up against aforementioned Pokemon
I'M GONNA SHAMELESSLY TAG EVERY SET SO HOPEFULLY NO ONE MISSES ANYTHING, VOTE PLS

sparrow

Santu

is a Tiering Contributoris the 9th Grand Slam Winneris a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender

Krookodile @ Steelium Z / Rockium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Tail / Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

This set is very unexpected, if used with caution and cunning you can get rid of many pokemons such as: Togekiss, Sylveon, Mantine, Mandibuzz and so many others.... . The sets Steelium z is a little past of fashion thanks to the ban of the star uu Clefable and so there are only a few fairy ones such as Sylveon. Another alternative might be Waterium z Krokodile with Aqua Tail even if it could only work against Hippowdon and Gliscor.

Last edited:

Krookodile @ Expert Belt
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Iron Tail
- Knock Off / Earthquake

To be honest, the number of uncommon sets you can make for Krookodile is really limited. This one is a slightly different approach to the standard Krookodile and allows for a bit more versatility and coverage than a Z-Move set. This set can masquerade as a Scarfed set, especially if a separate Z-Move on your team has been used. Since Krookodile has access to Intimidate and some good resistances / immunities, forcing a switch is relatively easy, especially against Choiced Pokemon. The goal here would be to Hone Claws on the anticipated switch, then break down walls with Expert Belt boosted coverage moves. It doesn't quite OHKO Mandibuzz, but it does OHKO plenty of other standard switch-ins.

+1 252 Atk Expert Belt Krookodile Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 271-322 (72.4 - 86%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 Atk Expert Belt Krookodile Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 341-403 (86.5 - 102.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 Atk Expert Belt Krookodile Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 326-386 (87.1 - 103.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)