1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

NEXT metagame discussion

Discussion in 'Other Metagames' started by Zarel, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

The old NEXT thread will still be about what changes to make, but now that NEXT has a thriving community, I'm wondering if anyone on Smogon wants to talk about actually playing it.

As always, this is the NEXT overview: https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/blob/master/mods/gennext/README.md

Shell Armor is pretty strong. Here's one of the strongest Shell Armor abusers:

Lapras @ Leftovers
    Trait: Shell Armor
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Curse
    - Avalanche
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Shard / Drill Run

This Lapras basically doesn't die. Lapras is already pretty bulky but Shell Armor makes it take ~5% from nearly anything.
    Here's my Ambipom:

Ambipom @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Fire Punch
    - Bonemerang
    - U-turn
    Bonemerang may be a weird move to spend Sketch on, but now that it hits air, Bonemerang + Fire has perfect coverage. In fact, it has better than perfect coverage: it has perfect 150 coverage. Fire is super-effective against nearly everything that resists Bonemerang, so every single Pokémon takes at least 150 base power from one of the two moves (The only exceptions are Genesect-Water and Ludicolo).
  2. The Eevee General

The Eevee General The Adventures of Eevee, Queen of the Desert
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

3. SpartanMalice

SpartanMalice

Doesn't Mold Breaker nullify Shell Armor?

If so, that could work. I'm just reading up on this meta, btw.
  4. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

Shell Armor is just 12% damage reduction (1/8 is 12%).

If, for instance, a Shell Armor mon has 35% HP left, making an attack that would otherwise do 47% to it will kill it... Or you can OHKO a Shell Armor mon with an attack that normally does at least 112%.
  5. The Eevee General

The Eevee General The Adventures of Eevee, Queen of the Desert
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Oh I see. I read that like it only does 12% of their total HP in damage. So Lapras is only ever taking 12% damage loss a turn! LOL that would be insane.
  6. juleocesar

juleocesar

Interesting metagame. Signature moves is a great mechanic. Plus, I loved how some specific items were buffed when used with a certain type. Hope to see more of this (such as editing an item to give it more bonuses to steel-type pokemons or stuff, in the same way it was done with Big Root, Black Sludge and others)

Ambipom with shadow force is an extremely good choice as well, since it's the only user of it (while the move still gains technician boost as well a 100% ghost curse)

By the way, in the end of the README, it seems Kyurem is banned. So why does he have a signature move?
  7. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    Creator of PS

It's for NEXT-Ubers, which will be released after I'm done with NEXT-OU.
  8. Super Mario Bro

Super Mario Bro All we ever look for

I'm interested in this. One minor suggestion: could Energy Ball be buffed to 90 base power? At 80 BP, it's almost completely outclassed by Giga Drain, so giving it that boost would make people think a little bit more about which move to give to their offensive grass type.

I also think that all 90-95% accurate moves (Leech Seed, Toxic, Air Slash, etc.) should be buffed to 100% accuracy. Never really understood the purpose of the slight reduction of accuracy in those moves.
    Houndoomsday likes this.
  9. sadoldpoygon22

sadoldpoygon22

Interesting meta.... I can see lots of stuff being viable
  10. PokemonMasterDebater

PokemonMasterDebater

Marowak should love this meta. Fire Punch + 90 base power Aerial Ace hits everything that resists Bonemerang for SE damage. I must now go make a TR team.
  11. Keldeo DeArtagnan

Keldeo DeArtagnan

I'm thinking about using a Snorlax set that uses Snore, now that Snore is pretty good. Quick question: are the new abilities for the starters replacing the DW abilities? I kind of wanted to use a Sheer Force Feraligatr.
  12. nimbosa

nimbosa

one of the things i've been having fun with is technician + solarbeam roserade with sun support. solarbeam is effectively 180 bp PLUS stab, like a special v-create with no drawbacks, and in the event of the weather changing it's got a great charge effect that roserade is specially bulky enough to take advantage of. roserade's movepool doesn't have a single other special move that's good with technician other than base 59/60 hidden power, which i can't get to work on showdown. and i really wish it got acid spray. but it still hits outrageously hard with solarbeam, and gets weather ball on top of that.
  13. Manectrifier

Manectrifier

Roserade now gets the 60 bp sludge which always poisons, which is a cool move to use. Doesn`t provide important coverage, but after stab and technician it does have 135 bp.
  14. nimbosa

nimbosa

oh i had seen roserade got sludge now but i forgot to check and see if sludge itself had changed! that's pretty cool. i still think i'd prefer acid spray though. but then again it might be tricky to take advantage of with a scarf, which is what i run.
  15. PokemonMasterDebater

PokemonMasterDebater

Quick question, does Solar Beam hit past Substitutes and Protect only when it charges up? And does it still heal the user if the weather isn't Sunny Day, and the user is holding a Power Herb?
  16. nimbosa

nimbosa

it still hits through subs and protect in sun, yes. it doesn't heal in sun, and i was told it doesn't heal if it doesn't charge, but i haven't specifically tested it with a power herb so who knows. i would think if they thought of disabling the effect in sun they would have thought of doing it with power herb, though.
  17. Gary2346

Gary2346 A filthy casual
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Sounds fun! I hope to play it someday.
  18. apt-get

apt-get platinum happy
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

So, when do we get a ladder?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)