NFE Discussion: Poliwhirl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the Wrath thread and realized it loses speed when it evolves. I like Hypnosis on a base 90 speed pokemon, like Venemoth, for BL/UU.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/061.shtml

HP 65
A 65
D 65
SA 50
SD 50 ***Hence no Sp. A list.
Sp 90

Attacks:

Ice Ball
WF (water fall)
BSlam
FPunch
Eq
BBreak
Endeavor
Ice Punch (Advanced)
Double-Edge/Mega Kick
Seismic Toss

Support:

Counter
Hypnosis
RDance
Bdrum
Endure
Entice
Mist
Haze
Mind Reader
Refresh

Ok weak attack but decent speed, at least by UU standards

I like @ Salac/Concentration Band

~Hypnosis
~Belly Drum
~Sub./Ice Punch (dragons/grass are weak to ice, but resist water)
~Water Fall

*since it is faster than Poliwrath, it relies less on Salac Berry, but more on Hypnosis.

I also like: Salac

~Endeavor
~Substitute
~Focus Punch/Seismic Toss/Counter -> *behind Substitute*
~Hypnosis

You sleep, sub on the switch, Focus Punch them, and then Sub down to Endeavor them.

My Favorite set: Life Orb

Hypnosis
Belly Drum
Earthquake
Ice Punch

EQ- Hits Fire/Ground/Rock/Steel/Poison and *Electrics who come in on Poli)

Ice Punch -hits Flying/Grass who are weak to ice, but are strong vs Poliwhirl and Eq)

All in all, this NFE pokemon gets props for 90 speed+Hypnosis, and can Belly drum on the switch, or sub+Belly drum with salac, granting it only 1 move, but 1 soon-to-be very powerful move.

What is the point in this thread? Why would you give up such awesome stats for more speed? There is already a polywrath thread. This pokemon isn't as different as poygon2 is to porygonZ. Somebody needs to lock this.

Point is that its for UU, and seriously, I would rather use Poliwhirl than Poliwrath, unless its Cbanded, (which there are still better options).

With a Stab Focus Punch, Speedy Hypnosis, and a Belly Drum it deserves its own thread. Granted Poliwrath can do what Poliwhirl can do, and usually better, I think its easier to rely on speed than attack especially when it comes to Hyp+Belly Drum. Look at Frosslass, its the speed that keeps it used, if it were slower, people would never use it.

Base 90 speed isn't exactly that "speedy." Sure it may be faster, but the point of polywrath is to move in on other bulky waters, set up a sub because they will most likely switch and then start subpunching and using hypnosis. These threads are driving me insane.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you want to use an NFE water pokemon with speed, try Seadra. Otherwise, 90 speed is still crap in UU. Rauchu and Buzz eat it alive, CB Fearow can also finish it off before it moves.

Really, Poliwhirl was never designed to be used as anything other than a stepping stone to Poliwrath/Toed. It has the same stat total as the likes of Charmeleon and Grovyle. It isn't built for competitive battling and never will be.

NFE isn't a metagame, therefore I don't really see the purpose of this, as cool as I think the Poliwag line is and how much I love the awesomeness that is Poliwrath.

Absolutely no point in this. Seems more like a discussion thread made for the sake of making a discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)