1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

NFE Metagame

Discussion in 'Other Metagames' started by PDC, Sep 21, 2012.

1. PDC

PDC payback
    is a Contributor to Smogon Social Mediais a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus

Every single month I see the same thread over and over go up in the Suggestion box. Every single time it is asked it is shot down by moderators because it simply is not ready to be brought up without a very high amount of supervision. So, I thought, how hard could it be to actually make the dream a reality for so many members that WOULD like to play this? However, what exactly I am suggesting you may ask? This being Other Metagames, this would be the place to start a dream of mine since the first few months here at Smogon. I wished to create an all new metagame, a metagame that goes by the name of...

The NFE Metagame​

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

That's right everybody! I finally decided to launch this. This tier will hopefully become a reality, and with that it may actually become an official tier someday with your help! However, what Pokemon and rules are specifically included in this tier?

Clauses :

• * Sleep Clause
      * Evasion Clause
      * Moody Clause
      * Species Clause
      * OHKO Clause

Pokemon Included In NFE Tier :

Code:
    Bayleef	
    Boldore	
    Carvanha	
    Cascoon	
    Charmeleon
    Chansey	
    Clefairy	
    Croconaw	
    Dewott
    Dragonair
    Gligar	
    Eelektrik	
    Flaaffy
    Fraxure	
    Gloom	
    Gothorita	
    Graveler	
    Grotle	
    Grovyle
    Gurrdurr
    Haunter	
    Herdier	
    Ivysaur	
    Jigglypuff	
    Kakuna
    Klang	
    Kirlia	
    Krokorok
    Lampent	
    Lombre	
    Loudred	
    Luxio		
    Magmar	
    Marill		
    Marshtomp	
    Meditite	
    Metapod
    Murkrow	
    Nidorina
    Natu	
    Nidorino	
    Nuzleaf	
    Palpitoad	
    Pidgeotto	
    Pignite	
    Poliwhirl	
    Prinplup	
    Pupitar	
    Quilava	
    Sealeo	
    Servine		
    Silcoon	
    Skiploom	
    Staravia
    Scyther	
    Swadloon
    Tranquill
    Vanillish	
    Vibrava	
    Vulpix	
    Wartortle
    Weepinbell	
    Yanma
    Abra	
    Aipom	
    Anorith	
    Archen	
    Aron	
    Axew
    Azurill	
    Bagon	
    Baltoy	
    Barboach	
    Beldum	
    Bellsprout	
    Bidoof	
    Blitzle	Electric	
    Bonsly	
    Bronzor	
    Budew	
    Buizel	
    Bulbasaur	
    Buneary	
    Burmy	
    Cacnea	
    Caterpie	
    Charmander	
    Cherubi	
    Chikorita
    Chimchar	
    Chinchou	
    Chingling	
    Clamperl		
    Cleffa		
    Combee	
    Corphish	
    Cottonee	
    Cranidos	
    Croagunk	
    Cubchoo	
    Cubone	
    Cyndaquil	
    Darumaka	
    Deerling	
    Deino	
    Diglett	
    Doduo	
    Dratini	
    Drifloon	
    Drilbur	
    Drowzee	
    Ducklett	
    Duskull	
    Dwebble	
    Eevee
    Ekans	
    Electrike	
    Elekid
    Elgyem	
    Exeggcute
    Feebas	
    Finneon	
    Foongus
    Frillish	
    Gastly	
    Geodude	
    Gible	
    Glameow	
    Goldeen	
    Golett	
    Gothita	
    Grimer	
    Growlithe	
    Gulpin	Poison	
    Happiny	
    Hippopotas	
    Hoothoot	
    Hoppip	
    Horsea	
    Houndour	
    Igglybuff	
    Joltik	
    Kabuto	
    Karrablast	
    Klink	
    Koffing	
    Krabby	
    Kricketot	
    Larvesta	
    Larvitar	
    Ledyba	
    Lickitung	
    Lileep	
    Lillipup	
    Litwick	
    Lotad	
    Machop	
    Magby	
    Magikarp	
    Magnemite	
    Makuhita	
    Mankey	
    Mantyke	
    Mareep	
    Meowth	
    Mienfoo	
    Mime Jr.	
    Minccino	
    Munna	
    Nidoran-F	
    Nidoran-M	
    Nincada	
    Nosepass	
    Numel	
    Oddish	
    Omanyte	
    Onix	
    Oshawott	
    Panpour	
    Pansage
    Pansear	
    Paras	
    Patrat	
    Pawniard	
    Petilil	
    Phanpy
    Pichu
    Pidgey	
    Pidove	
    Pineco	
    Piplup	
    Poliwag	
    Ponyta	
    Poochyena	
    Porygon	
    Psyduck	
    Purrloin	
    Ralts	
    Rattata	
    Remoraid	
    Rhyhorn	
    Riolu		
    Roggenrola
    Rufflet	
    Sandile	
    Scraggy	
    Seedot
    Seel	
    Sentret	
    Sewaddle	
    Shellder	
    Shellos	
    Shelmet	
    Shieldon
    Shinx
    Shroomish	
    Shuppet	
    Skitty		
    Skorupi	
    Slakoth	
    Slowpoke	
    Slugma	
    Smoochum
    Snivy	Grass	
    Snorunt	
    Snover	
    Snubbull	
    Solosis	
    Spearow	
    Spheal	
    Spoink	
    Starly	
    Staryu	
    Stunky	
    Sunkern	
    Surskit	
    Swablu	
    Swinub	
    Taillow	
    Teddiursa	
    Tentacool	
    Tepig	
    Timburr	
    Tirtouga	
    Togepi	
    Torchic	
    Totodile	
    Trapinch	
    Treecko	
    Trubbish	
    Turtwig	
    Tympole	
    Tynamo	
    Tyrogue	
    Vanillite	
    Venipede	
    Venonat	
    Voltorb	
    Vullaby	
    Wailmer	
    Weedle	
    Whismur	
    Wingull	
    Woobat	
    Wooper	
    Wurmple	
    Wynaut	
    Yamask	
    Zigzagoon	
    Zorua
    Zubat	
    All not fully involved Pokemon are included in this tier. This includes those even in higher up tiers, these include Chansey, Gurrdurr, and Klang among others. All Pokemon that are NOT FULL EVOLVED are in this tier and can be used.

This tier is a bit different than anything else, and includes some Pokemon that can be used with success that cannot be used anywhere else! Although some Pokemon here may be other favorites in tiers as high as OU, they still find a home here in NFE. As this is not an official tier, I am not banning anything as of yet. But if something really is overpowering in the metagame, then I will be sure to address it. There is Team Preview.

Outside of all mechanics, this is a fun tier to play and is not going to be portraying any standard Pokes aside from a select few. This metagame will hopefully be fun, and I really want all of you to try this out! Eviolite Is Allowed so I think I should not that right there. However, this is subject to chance. There is not much to say at the time, but hopefully with time this will turn into an actual metagame! Discuss!
  2. Zebraiken

Zebraiken what's important
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnus
    NU Co-Leader

Just to be clear, what's going to happen to NFE Pokemon that exist in higher tiers (Chansey, Gligar, Scyther, etc)? What about Pokemon like Gurdurr / Fraxure / Wartortle that are frequently used in NU but aren't on the list? Are they included or allowed as well?
  3. PDC

PDC payback
    is a Contributor to Smogon Social Mediais a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus

Yes, they are. I am not in a position to ban yet, as I at least want to get some stuff going on first. They are allowed.
  4. DTC

DTC ˢᵉʳᶦᵒᵘˢ
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

This tier seems pretty cool; I've been theorymon'ing about it quite a bit lately. I wonder how effective Pokemon not legal in Middle Cup will be in this tier (Scyther, Gligar, Misdreavus, etc. all seem like really promising Pokemon). I'm going to make a team later today; if anyone wants to battle me in it, just highlight me on IRC in #othermetas or #pokemon and I'll probably be up for a battle.
  5. PDC

PDC payback

This tier allows a lot more diversity and options to use. For example, Ferrosed and the adove listed Pokemon are allowed. You get many more options here than you could ever get in Middle Cup, which makes it different.
  6. breh

breh ● ︿ ●
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributor

So, a few mons that I've had fun with or have seen used by others in the no evio meta (no evio is more fun than evio, which feels like NU++):

Scyther: It's no surprise that Scyther is good; it's RU, for god's sake. It has wonderful utility and hits hard all the while. Great mon.

Magneton: One of the strongest sweepers in the tier; Analytic is really neat because it means that it can hit hard as hell on the switch. You'd think that sturdy would be better, kind of like NU Sawk, but it's been useless so far. Anyway, Volt Switch / Tbolt / Flash Cannon / HP Ice rips through the tier; for some reason I like to use Flash Cannon a lot more than anything else...

Roselia: It's a neat-ish anti-lead (it hits very hard vs. piloswine) but I can't help thinking I'm using an inferior tangela. Can't really do much at all vs. nonweaks and (more importantly) things that are faster and OHKO (which includes a large portion of the meta...).

Lampent: Lampent has random utility like, for example, taking Fire Blasts, but seems to be the mon I sac very quickly most often. Not useless, but not amazing either.

Sneasel: Sneasel is pretty damn fast and is comparable to Cinccino in NU - although it's not amazingly strong, it has a great speed tier which, in the case of sneasel, makes it the fastest unboosted pokemon in the tier, tying with electabuzz. Ice Punch does an oddly sufficient amount most of the time. Unfortunate that this thing lacks Night Slash, but oh well.

Chansey: It seems good but I can't help drop the feeling that it sucks... There are too many physical attackers in the tier.

Dusclops: Has fantastic physical defense and will-o-wisp; although it's not as impenetrable as in other tiers, it still takes hits pretty damn well.

Hippopotas: The mon that singlehandedly makes Drilbur good. It doesn't seem to stay alive for very long at all, but setting up sandstorm is really neat.

Vulpix: See above; replace "Dribur" with "Tangela" (granted, tangela is good on its own) and "sandstorm" with "sun". Magmar is good in this tier, too.

Drilbur: If you've ever played LC, you know what this is: a strong, fast, rapid spinner with the potential to wipe out a team if you let it do so. Good thing it's fairly frail. Literally outsped by nothing at all in this tier.

Tangela: A fairly versatile mon that can do a lot; I assume that it can go defensive (especially given rhydon and, to a lesser extent, gligar) but I've only seen offensive so far. Still, a scary mon given its high speed. Outsped by nothing in sun but scarf jolly sneasel.

Magmar: Although it's a mon that's shitty in every other tier, it's actually pretty cool in this one. Scarf Fire Blast gives it a lot of power and sleep immunity is quite nice.

Seadra: This thing is really scary, tbh; 95 base Hydro Pump hits very hard on everything, resist or not. If you don't have Chansey, you're not taking it down without a) saccing something or b) playing very, very carefully.

Gligar: Even though it's a wall in UU, it's a damn good sweeper in NFE. With evio gone, it's forced to resort to offense, but it's not as if that's a bad thing. Acrobatics + EQ is really cool.
  7. Relados

Relados
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Eviolite is fun for extreme stalling, but for a less centralized metagame it would be more understanding to ban the item. I'd have to say goodbye to my stall team, though...

Also, it seems you are missing Metang in the list of pokemon. With eviolite it makes a good physical wall, especially with toxic immunity, and even without it can do some damage with that attack.
  8. neptunianity

neptunianity

This looks very interesting, I'll try this out. Just out of curiosity, is Speed Boost Combusken legal in this?
  9. breh

breh ● ︿ ●
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributor

Yeah, eviolite Combusken is fully legal. To be honest, though, I haven't seen it abused very much at all.
  10. thesynchrohero

thesynchrohero

I am making a team, will Edit post when the team is done. Team is done.
  11. TPM

TPM

I literally just spent an hour and a half typing up a necro post where I discussed every single Pokemon I thought could be viable in this tier... And then accidentally closed the tab. Still, this meta really interests me and I'd like to renew discussion on it. If anyone is interested I'd like to try this out.
  12. cernor

cernor

I've recently been thinking about how many of my favourite 'mons are never used because they haven't evolved yet or they're banned from LC; If anyone's interested in battling with me under this format, shoot me a PM

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)