Nickname discussion

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I really want to name Rotom-H as "Plastic Oven".
Somehow, I don't know how to use it, and it becomes as useful as a plastic oven to my team.

Rather than the common Barbara for Ferrothorn... why not...
Barbtender.
Because it's a pun! Bartender! Barbs! I have no idea what it has to do with thorns! :D
Is Barbie common for a Ferrothorn?

I really want to name Rotom-H as "Plastic Oven".
Somehow, I don't know how to use it, and it becomes as useful as a plastic oven to my team.

Is Barbie common for a Ferrothorn?
I don't know about Barbie, but I myself have used Barbara for my Ferrothorn in the past.

I don't know about Barbie, but I myself have used Barbara for my Ferrothorn in the past.
I once used the name TORRENT_LEECH for a Ferroseed back in Gen V RU, mostly for it being a passive Leech Seed spammer (but an effective one most of the time). Needless to say, he did leech an awful lot of torrents in his life. /badjoke

Aside from Ferroseed, I had a Slowbro I used in Gen V UU named Derpkins the Great. His legacy carried on, as I used Derpkins in early XY UU and currently, there is my Mega Slowbro named Sir Derpkins in my OR game. His full name would be Sir Derpkins the Third, I guess, but there's character limits, sadly. The legacy shall live on...

Some of my Pokémon nicknames are references to existing characters in fiction, most of these hailing from my Omega Ruby game. Some examples are Bayonetta the Lopunny and Shulk the Gallade. I also like to refer to history with some Pokémon nicknames, such as my Mega Sableye being named Bloody Mary (though spelled with a double D because of the wod 'bloody' being vulgar in certain Anglophone areas).

Might post some more, this thread's pretty interesting.

Got some new ones.

Smaugette the Charizard. I decided I wanted a new Charizard... the egg I hatched to originally trade turned out to be female! Kept her, and named her that. Smaug is a great name for anything though.
Henry VIII the Nidoking. I would of named my Nidoking this... except it's from an old game. Which the save I deleted. And my brother might be offended.
Thoth the Pidgeot. The Egyptian god of knowledge, who's animal the ibis I think looks a little like Pidgeot.... except it doesn't. I don't know my logic.
Ohmu the Tentacruel. If any of you have seen/read Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, you know what I mean. I think the shell on Tentacruel definitely resembles the ohmu.

Way back in the day when I first got my Pokémon Ruby game, when I didn't know anything about competitive aspect yet, I used to name my Pokemon after their Abilities. Little did I know that it would give away what Ability they actually had. Gosh I didn't even know what an Ability did..

Let's see... I started a Gym Leader Egg Team in Omega Ruby not too long ago. I chose the Electric type (before I remembered that Numel is EXTREMELY common for Team Magma) and here are my nicknames

Jane Foster - Ampharos - The leader of my team, can Mega Evolve, named after the human identity of the female Thor.
Peter Parker - Galvantula - Spider Man, duh!
Dory - Lanturn - Literally the only nickname I can think of is another blue fish's name
Kenmore - Rotom (I actually switch up the forms when I need to) - Out of all companies I can think of, this is the only one that makes 4 of Rotom's appliance forms (only not making a lawnmower)
Biot-Savart - Magnezone - I totes named my Magnezone after a law of magnetism
Simba - Luxray - Yup, I went there.

I'll admit, the only one I'm actually really proud of is Biot-Savart.

Reactions: JES
Hmm...that Azelf is making want to think of Once Upon a Time themed nicknames. I'll work on that.
Took me a while, but I finally came up with a perfect one:
Rumplestiltskin the Shiny Sableye.
It's a Dark-type, Prankster seems like a good ability for him to have, and the Shiny version of Sableye is gold, which matches both his Dark One skin tone as well as his Storybrooke name.
I'm still working on others.

I was trying to figure out nicknames for all of the Rotom forms. Here is what I have (some are repeats):

Voltergeist (works for all forms as well)

Duke Nukem

Washington (Maytag is also good)

Freezerburn (I mean, it can learn Will-O-Wisp!)

Poltergust (would work better if it was a vacuum)

Cutter (Lawnmowers aren't the easiest ones to work with)

SAITAMA = EXEGGUTOR

Saitama is the main character in the manga (now also anime) series called 'One-Punch Man'. A bald superhero that can look just as goofy and oblivious as Exeggutor does. He is also sometimes (pseudo-mockingly) called Saitamago, a fusion with his name and the Japanese word for 'egg': tamago (referring to his baldness). Basically, despite his status as the most powerful man in the world and ability to be frighteningly serious at times, his spirit Pokemon would most definitely be Exeggutor.

Last edited:
Here's another nickname, though not one that any of my Pokémon carries.

Cassandra
or Murphy for Absol: Cassandra is derived from the character of the same name from Greek mythology, the girl whose words were never believed but no less true. Murphy is taken from Murphy's Law; if something can go wrong, it's bound to go wrong, which fits in with the disasters that Absol warns of, but is instead accused of. It's bad for both Absol and the victims of the approaching disaster.

Now for a few Pokémon from my own games.
Raphnoldin
the Venusaur: Rafflesia arnoldii corrupted and condensed into a single word. Venusaur's flower is at the very least the largest when it comes to flowers on Pokémon, especially its Mega Evolution.
Azulvura
the Charizard: The name of my female Charizard in my OR game that Mega Evolves into Zard X. It's a combination of azul (Spanish for blue), sulphur (corrupted), vuur (Dutch for fire) and the feminine suffix -a.
Thymouros
the Salamence: Taken from the Greek words thymós (anger) and sfodros (vehemence; partly a reference to its species name). It refers to how violent and aggressive Salamence is made out to be in its Pokédex entries.
Saikyoufuu
the Pidgeot: Combination of the Japanese words saikyou (strongest) and kyoufuu (gale), referring to Mega Pidgeot's Hurricane spam.
Caustikaizer
the Beedrill: Derived from caustic and Kaiser (German for emperor). Mega Beedrill is one of the more successful Bug- and Poison-types (hence caustic) and easily one of the most hard-hitting.
Odysseus the Sharpedo: The name of the Greek hero who sailed the seas for twenty years before returning to Ithaca. An ironic name, as Mega Sharpedo looks like something that'd trouble seafarers such as Odysseus.
Schmolzra the Camerupt: Derived from the German word schmelzen (melt), more notably the past participle geschmolzen.
Shulk the Gallade: Mega Gallade is said to predict its foes' movements with its twin capes, much like how Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles can react to the visions granted to him by the Monado. On top of that, Mega Gallade's swords as well as the Monado are red.

That's it for now. If you've got anything to remark, feel free to just reply. Thanks for reading!

I've been naming most of the male Combees I've been getting 2B Or Not2B?, pretty much making fun of the fact that it is taking forever to breed a female with the right IVs, and if I were 100% sane, I'd just give up and call the damned breeding project a failure! Making things a pain in the ass is that most Combees are male, so quite a few people are going to end up with 4 or 5 IV male Combees tomorrow. Hey, it's still better than a Poochyena, Zigzagoon, Wingull, or Wurmple, and at least they get a rare berry and good breeding fodder out of it!

The females on the other hand are named Bee Sweet, after a chocolate box design that was suggested by my classmates in a graphic design class, and because I couldn't really think of anything better.

I've been naming most of the male Combees I've been getting 2B Or Not2B?, pretty much making fun of the fact that it is taking forever to breed a female with the right IVs, and if I were 100% sane, I'd just give up and call the damned breeding project a failure! Making things a pain in the ass is that most Combees are male, so quite a few people are going to end up with 4 or 5 IV male Combees tomorrow. Hey, it's still better than a Poochyena, Zigzagoon, Wingull, or Wurmple, and at least they get a rare berry and good breeding fodder out of it!

The females on the other hand are named Bee Sweet, after a chocolate box design that was suggested by my classmates in a graphic design class, and because I couldn't really think of anything better.
...I'm one of the Route 1 wonder traders.

But I make it okay, I give them Pokerus and then name them "Pokerus:D".

...I'm one of the Route 1 wonder traders.

But I make it okay, I give them Pokerus and then name them "Pokerus:D".
You naughty, lazy bastard! Get to breeding dammit!

Okay, okay, I kid, I kid!!! Don't block me! I know how time intensive breeding is! But you should still do it if you're going to Wonder Trade, at least when you want to raise something. Wonder Wash after all...

There aren't many nicknames I've come up with that I really like, since they're mostly real-life names, but I guess I could put a few of the more unusual ones: Kosta the Bisharp and Gorall the Gallade. As for creative nicknames, I was going to name a Scrafty "Subjugated Oppression", but unfortunately is 19 letters long and does not fit in PS!' 18-letter limit.

You naughty, lazy bastard! Get to breeding dammit!

Okay, okay, I kid, I kid!!! Don't block me! I know how time intensive breeding is! But you should still do it if you're going to Wonder Trade, at least when you want to raise something. Wonder Wash after all...
Don't worry, after the first batch I give Pokerus to things I don't want and send them out too.

Also the most breeding I've done is getting Timid on a Ferrothorn with no IVs or anything... and then I gave up on EV training it.

...the most breeding I've done is getting Timid on a Ferrothorn...
Man don't leave us hanging!! I need to know more about this timid Ferrothorn. Please tell me it was for some sort of chain breeding thing!

On topic, my Ferrothorn is named Nuttley because it sounds a bit like Nattorei and also because of Muttley the cartoon dog. I don't know what the dog has to do with the Pokemon, but then I don't know a lot of things about Ferrothorn, up to and including why anybody would want a timid one :V

Man don't leave us hanging!! I need to know more about this timid Ferrothorn. Please tell me it was for some sort of chain breeding thing!

On topic, my Ferrothorn is named Nuttley because it sounds a bit like Nattorei and also because of Muttley the cartoon dog. I don't know what the dog has to do with the Pokemon, but then I don't know a lot of things about Ferrothorn, up to and including why anybody would want a timid one :V
Well, I named her The Thornz. She was the first thing I ever tried to breed competitively after I had gotten loads of advice on the Pixelmon forum. Funny thing is, it's because of that I came to Smogon. The person helping me there told me I should come here.

...I still have her in the PC somewhere. But I had a planned move set of Thunder Wave, Grass Whip, Gyro Ball, and Protect. She was holding a Rocky Helmet. I've given up though on trying to be competitive, except for occasionally going on Showdown.

I've always had those moments where I will just sit there and think:
Fuck. Can't come up with a nickname.

So I put the game down and try to think of a nickname. Sometimes I think of regular names and feel like they fit well, like Megumi the Mienshao. Why do I think it fits? No clue. Maybe it's because of how it also starts with M. Maybe I just like how it has "Goomy" in it. Have any of you ever had those names that just inexplicably fit the Pokemon somehow?

Other times names come to me based on their traits. Now, maybe it's a result of my MGR phase, but when I had to name Conkeldurr, it didn't take too long to come up with the name Armstrong. I came up with Hookshot for Drapion because of its posture and its long appendages that look ready to strike at any moment.

Sometimes, I come up with silly names based on silly things. Believe it or not, the Nintendo Wii had internet connection, and I was with my sister, my old friend, and my old friend's older sister. We were looking at the new Pokemon before BW came out. The text was really small, and my friend's older sister misread it 'Snivy' as 'Stinky.' And that's how my Serperior was named Stinky. My Serperior in White 2 got stuck with a corrupted version of the name in 'Slinky.'

And finally, there are those names that I'm really proud of- those one's I feel are the best I've come up with. What do you name a female snake Pokemon? How about Hisstress? To you readers, I'm sure it's a blah name, but personally, I kinda like it. I feel it's a bit clever. Same with the name Potbelly for either Lickilicky or Seismitoad, or Meatshield for my Emboar. Maybe the ladder two were just humorous....

Whatever the case, thanks for taking time to read Tazonite's Nickname Post. Remember not to nickname your Pokemon the way The Name Rater says not to.

Altair anyone? From assassin's creed. Fits gallade cuz of his 'retractable blades' on the elbow.
And of course, AdamLevine or Justinbeebz for Exploud :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)