Nickname discussion

Altair anyone? From assassin's creed. Fits gallade cuz of his 'retractable blades' on the elbow.
Ehhhhh kinda loses impact when you consider Altair is a star which translates as "flying eagle." I suppose you could run a Bisharp + MPigeot team and call them both Altair for lulz and confusion.

And both of them have no good recovery options
Little mac can recover. You can spam 1 and 2 in Punch-Out!! (Wii) to recover health, or press the - button during intermission. Doc will eat a chocolate bar and you'll recover more health when the next round begins.

Altair anyone? From assassin's creed. Fits gallade cuz of his 'retractable blades' on the elbow.
And of course, AdamLevine or Justinbeebz for Exploud :3
Lots of names that are references to media tend to kinda suck. They come off as less clever and more desperate attempts to give something a nickname. Sure, Shoulder Blades is a rather silly nickname for Gallade, which is what I named mine, but I didn't name it 'Wolverine' or something like that.

And both of them have no good recovery options
Eh, named mine Broshroom. I saw one named Glass Joe on YT. I did previously say on this same post I'm a bit lukewarm toward names referring to other media. I mean, imagine somebody naming their Amoonguss 'Goomba.' It's just kinda... bad....

Little mac can recover. You can spam 1 and 2 in Punch-Out!! (Wii) to recover health, or press the - button during intermission. Doc will eat a chocolate bar and you'll recover more health when the next round begins.
I think she was talking about Smash Bros where Little Mac has like the WORST recovery out of all the characters.

---

To stay on topic, I remember a friend who nicknamed a Drifblim Hindenburg because it knew Explosion. When I asked why would he even do that, he just sent me the Lenny face ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I did previously say on this same post I'm a bit lukewarm toward names referring to other media. I mean, imagine somebody naming their Amoonguss 'Goomba.' It's just kinda... bad....
You could take the viewpoint that today's media is tomorrow's history. I mean, there are only so many categories of nicknames to go around. Pop references, injokes, name corruptions, pokemon-style word mashes, puns, descriptions, actual names, historical references (including mythology + notable figures), science references, geographical references, etc... and a lot of the nicknames in all of those categories are pretty lame by a lot of people's standards. I'm okay with most names on the basis that every name sucks to somebody. (Pekachu the Garchomp best nickname 2016)

...Although, yeah, my least favourite category of nickname goes as follows: "guys I came up with the best nickname for [pokemon!] it's named after a really cool anime character called [already extant reference to something]! it fits because [context that kind of applies, but misses the context of the already existing thing] and I also named my other two [completely unrelated pokemon] [name of character from same anime] and [name of character from anime also missing the context of the original name]!"

I think the most egregious variant of this was someone I saw who named all their Pokemon after Archangels from the bible, while being completely unaware the names were sourced from the bible (I'm talking Gabriel here), under the implicit assumption that the writers of whatever anime had *actually invented* those names, and their contexts. Kids, eh?

ACTUALLY SCRATCH THAT
my least favourite nicknames are the ones people exclaim they called a Pokemon in their last playthrough whose length exceeds the character limit! Like, why lie about it?? Jeez!

Reactions: JES
You could take the viewpoint that today's media is tomorrow's history. I mean, there are only so many categories of nicknames to go around. Pop references, injokes, name corruptions, pokemon-style word mashes, puns, descriptions, actual names, historical references (including mythology + notable figures), science references, geographical references, etc... and a lot of the nicknames in all of those categories are pretty lame by a lot of people's standards. I'm okay with most names on the basis that every name sucks to somebody. (Pekachu the Garchomp best nickname 2016)

...Although, yeah, my least favourite category of nickname goes as follows: "guys I came up with the best nickname for [pokemon!] it's named after a really cool anime character called [already extant reference to something]! it fits because [context that kind of applies, but misses the context of the already existing thing] and I also named my other two [completely unrelated pokemon] [name of character from same anime] and [name of character from anime also missing the context of the original name]!"

I think the most egregious variant of this was someone I saw who named all their Pokemon after Archangels from the bible, while being completely unaware the names were sourced from the bible (I'm talking Gabriel here), under the implicit assumption that the writers of whatever anime had *actually invented* those names, and their contexts. Kids, eh?

ACTUALLY SCRATCH THAT
my least favourite nicknames are the ones people exclaim they called a Pokemon in their last playthrough whose length exceeds the character limit! Like, why lie about it?? Jeez!
The Name Raters on Pkmn.net, especially The Name Rater, are amazing at busting terrible nicknames. I like this one the most-

You name your Groudon 'Vulcan' and it's going to be pretty weak. Name your Steelix 'Ferrum,' that's also weak. Naming Aegislash 'Cloud.' Or a Jellicent named 'Nixie.' Names referencing media will be meaningless as time passes. It should be unique to the Pokemon and original. While not as unique, giving them regular names is totally fine.

Anime nicknames bother me. JP names are alright. I've got a Malamar named Ikasama. It's not referencing anime, it's not like I'm being a weeb about it.

The Name Raters on Pkmn.net, especially The Name Rater, are amazing at busting terrible nicknames. I like this one the most-

You name your Groudon 'Vulcan' and it's going to be pretty weak. Name your Steelix 'Ferrum,' that's also weak. Naming Aegislash 'Cloud.' Or a Jellicent named 'Nixie.' Names referencing media will be meaningless as time passes. It should be unique to the Pokemon and original. While not as unique, giving them regular names is totally fine.

Anime nicknames bother me. JP names are alright. I've got a Malamar named Ikasama. It's not referencing anime, it's not like I'm being a weeb about it.
You got me to join that site just to wait to be able to submit my Little Mac Breloom, along with other things.

Oh yes. I love the Pkmn.net Name Rater. Too bad it takes him so long to rate nicknames now. Or at least he was the last time I went on like two years ago.

Well this thread got real iconoclastic all of a sudden. Seriously, what's it to you if somebody wants to name their Squirtle "Kamina" or their Mewtwo "Freiza/Freeza"? Most kids and adults that want to show those kinds of names off just do it as a really really really roundabout way of connecting with people.

Person A: I named my Linoone 'Constance.'
Person B: Ooh! I loved the Redwall series, but I named mine 'Cregga!'

Plus it's not like there are that many degrees of originality in... well... any nickname really. Oh, so you though you were being witty by naming Kyurem 'Hoarfrost.' How long on wikipedia did it take you to put an icy cold dragon and the frost on wires/spiderwebs together? ...it is a cool sounding name though. It's also not like the pokemon themselves have set the bar very high. Goodra the gooey dragon, Hitmonlee the "hitting monster Bruce Lee," Electrode the electrode?

The point I'm trying to make is that originality in nicknames is subjective to the eye of the beholder, but ultimately nihil sub sole novum.

All that really matters is how your nicknames sound to you, because they have little value to anyone else. So go ahead, name your Greninja 'Naruto' if it pleases you. Or name your Metapod "Big D" and use harden. Go nuts and have fun. But don't tear apart the ideas of others, since none of us are really any better.

Just don't be like me and name your Ponyta 'Artax' on a nuzlocke run of Platinum. You will die to the swamp of sadness (or a severely underleveled Geodude's really lucky magnitude 10), and it's all your own fault. But what was I expecting when I named it that?

Last edited:
Ehhhhh kinda loses impact when you consider Altair is a star which translates as "flying eagle." I suppose you could run a Bisharp + MPigeot team and call them both Altair for lulz and confusion.
XD tru tru. and Tazonite u can't really call it 'less clever'. A certain theme or a reference to the media can actually make funny nicknames. Plus, everyone has their own opinion :P

XD tru tru. and Tazonite u can't really call it 'less clever'. A certain theme or a reference to the media can actually make funny nicknames. Plus, everyone has their own opinion :P
I suppose sometimes it can be funny, but only if it's something that's timeless and realy special. 'Altair' is not one of those examples.

The point I'm trying to make is that originality in nicknames is subjective to the eye of the beholder, but ultimately nihil sub sole novum.
Just don't be like me and name your Ponyta 'Artax' on a nuzlocke run of Platinum. You will die to the swamp of sadness (or a severely underleveled Geodude's really lucky magnitude 10), and it's all your own fault. But what was I expecting when I named it that?
Agreed. Also, originality only matters for your own Pokémon. Same thing with cleverness. As long as you are happy with it, that's what matters. Though this is coming from the guy who named his Goodra "Majin Buudra"...nah, that's an awesome nickname, no matter what anyone says.

Also, why must you bring that up? The only way that could have been more tragic was if it died to the move Muddy Water in the Great Marsh.

Hell, I even have a whole set of Pokemon named after my real life friends. I usually either take their "signature" Pokemon, ask them, or just try to find one that represents them.

For example, the last two generations I made this one guy a Tangrowth - his signature Pokemon.

For another example, I made one good friend an Archeops in Gen V, because she loved birds and, at the time, well, Archeops's Defeatist REALLY exemplified her. Now, in Gen VI, I made it her new signature Pokemon: Mega Mawile.

Hell, I even have a whole set of Pokemon named after my real life friends. I usually either take their "signature" Pokemon, ask them, or just try to find one that represents them.

For example, the last two generations I made this one guy a Tangrowth - his signature Pokemon.

For another example, I made one good friend an Archeops in Gen V, because she loved birds and, at the time, well, Archeops's Defeatist REALLY exemplified her. Now, in Gen VI, I made it her new signature Pokemon: Mega Mawile.
A neighbor kid a few years younger than me named her Dragonair after me because Dragonair is my favorite Pokemon...

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Well this thread got real iconoclastic all of a sudden. Seriously, what's it to you if somebody wants to name their Squirtle "Kamina" or their Mewtwo "Freiza/Freeza"? Most kids and adults that want to show those kinds of names off just do it as a really really really roundabout way of connecting with people.

Person A: I named my Linoone 'Constance.'
Person B: Ooh! I loved the Redwall series, but I named mine 'Cregga!'
ngl I called my haxorus Orlando for basically the same reason

so what if he isn't a badger he's got an axe for a face

In my current Diamond run I have:
Torterror the Torterra
Napoleon the Empoleon
Doofus the Bibarel
RageQuit the Wobbuffet

That's all I have at the moment...
Who wouldn't call their Empoleon Napoleon?

When I get a Gardevoir I plan on calling it Marie Antoinette...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)