Nickname discussion

I used to have a naming scheme like Aunown, Bunown, etc, but now it is more like Alpha, Beta, etc.

I should also list Sparrowmon under the list of names that I've really come to like. While I was watching Digimon Fusion (well, at least while Vortex was still running), I couldn't help but notice how much Sparrowmon looked like Latias. Aerodynamic, retractable arms, and Shiny Latias even has a similar coloration (well, Sparrowmon is yellow, while Shiny Latias is more of an orange, but it is still a striking coincidence).

I first named my Pokédited Latias this, but couldn't help myself from naming my naturally caught Bold Latias the same thing (good names are often times so hard to come by).

Of course, now I'm wondering what I should name her brother, now that I have the Eon Ticket, and just need to go through the motions to catch.
I've considered Adam (since I already have a Latias named Eve, though that one is up for trade), Eon, Concorde, Hypersonic, and Soul, but they just don't seem well thought up enough.

Last edited:
Xerneas - More than a Deerling (that song by Boston)
I sang the song in my head for hours. Pure genius.

I don't have a fixed scheme of naming, so it usually boils down to what I think it's fitting in that particular moment. So I have Cordell the Machamp (after Chuck Norris' character in Walker Texas Ranger), Carlos Ray the Feraligatr (again Chuck Norris, it's his real name) Elminster the Alakazam (Dungeons&Dragons), Darigaaz the Dragonite, Laquatus the Tyranitar and Zuberi the Pidgeot (all from MTG). My favorite Pokémon, Kingdra, is named Riekann (after a kickass rebel general in Star Wars). Many Grass-types have been named Potos (it's a plant, I guess, and it sounds funny). Others are more random, like Seymour the Typhlosion, Turing the Blastoise, and Fritz the Snorlax (it just has that "friendy and chubby German guy" vibe). Actually, all my Snorlaxes have German names ^^. Oh, and my Zapdos is named Odin because Thor is way too clichéd.

Edit: yet my Staryu is still named Patrick... talking about cliché.

I named the Kingdra I made in Pokedit Gairyuki, after a Zoid based off of Berserk Fuhrer, which fittingly enough, means "Shining Victory Dragon". And yes, Gairyuki is a shiny, like all my Edits.

I think some of these are my favorite names I've used:

T-Dawg the Tyranitar
Whacka (M) and Bump (F) the Furret (Paper Mario Reference)
Mr. Cuddles the Garchomp
Ribbons the Mienshao
My four Magnezone: What is Love? (HP Fire) Rusted Steel (HP Grass) Frosty Metal (HP Ice) and #swagnezone (6IV w/ Hyper Beam because why not?)
Miss Bugface the Flygon
Acrobat (M) and Acrobette (F) the Crobat
Pigglesworth the Mamoswine
Nuktuk the Sharpedo
Bikini Bod the Diggersby
Bro Bib the Lickilicky
And I'll do one more: Lovebear (F) and Hug Me (M) the Electivire

I'm currently breeding a Slowbro for my team and was struggling to come up with a good nickname that works with the "bro" part of Slowbro's name. If I had a brother, I would just do that, but I don't, so that wasn't a help. Then I remembered this one VGCats strip. Thus, my Mega Slowbro will be named Broseiden, God of the Brocean. Well, that will just be his title since God of the Brocean wouldn't fit. It works well since it isn't just a pun on his name but also a reference to his Water-typing. It's perfect.

In related nicknames:
If I ever had a female Slowking, I would name her Slowqueen. Why not? (or Wynaut?)

Also, I just saw this nickname for a female Beedrill: Shedrill.
The pun...the puuuunnn....

I called my Shiny Bisharp 'Checkmate'. It's still one of the most original names I've ever come up with.

I've been nicknaming Pokémon for God knows how many years, and I've often lost some creativity in their names, often repeating some accidentally over time. Because of this, I get my friend who knows nothing about Pokémon to nickname them for me. A lot of the time, he listens to the sound of the name and creates a nickname that represents an 'opposite' part.

For example, Oddish became Evenish, and Amaura became Alesser (because of the 'more' like sound in the name) And then there was the time he called a Darmanitan 'Phlogistine' . . .

jacob

the obstacle is the only way
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Almost every Pokemon I nickname nowadays is from random song lyrics that I sing in my head

I went to Slateport today to give my newly hatched Sturdy Tyrunt the name Caesar.

And no, I hate Caesar for declaring himself emperor of the Roman Republic, and dissolving the Roman Senate, so he is more named after the name of Van's Shield Liger in the Zoids Chaotic Century Manga.

Sure I already named my Tyrantrum Caesar, but I like the idea of shouting Caesar!!! when I send him out too much not to use it again!

So, give a warm welcome to our newest family member! Oh, and be careful. He's already in the teething stage! :D

I'm still fighting on what to call my Rayquaza.

Falkor, Shenron, and CobraStarship ("CobraStrship" due to character limits) are just all too good...

I usually name them after what they're based upon:
-Drako the Charizard
-Bishop the Bisharp
-Wrestle the Machamp
-Poison the Gastly
-BALLS the Electrode (lol)
-Fencing the Gallade
-DNA the Deoxys

Famous people/characters:
-Houdini the Alakazam
-Ryu the Lucario
-Adele the female Snorlax

Songs:
-ToTheKingdom the Klefki

Things they sort of represent:
-Aura the Lucario
-KFC the Blaziken (I need to stop using that one lol)
-Flytrap the Magnezone

Or just random stuff:
-DanceBug the Volcarona
-Skyrim the Charizard
-IMMARAPEU the Hypno
-Jessie the Arbok, James the Weezing, and Rocket the Meowth
-DJSwampy the Swampert
-Confederate the Bibarel, Tropius, and other HM slaves (The Confederate states used slaves)
-KILLMEPLZ the Ditto and Muk
-Oh My God the Arceus

I don't know why, but when I have some trouble nicknaming my Pokemon, I end up choosing a foreign, 'cool' sounding yet generic name for them instead. For example, while everyone in my class had the ingenious idea of naming their Greninja, 'Ninja', I went with 'Shinobi'. And that's nothing compared to my Alpha Sapphire, when I gave every single one of my team a generic Spanish name, such as Sceptile with 'Hierba' (Grass), or Ludicolo with 'Baile' (Dance). Foreign names sound so much cooler than their English counterparts in my point of view.

And then there are times when I do a Wikipedia search on a similar like animal, like with my Larvesta. The Latin name for the insect 'Firebug' is Pyrrhocoris apterus, so I ended up calling my Larvesta 'Apterus'.

I don't know why, but when I have some trouble nicknaming my Pokemon, I end up choosing a foreign, 'cool' sounding yet generic name for them instead. For example, while everyone in my class had the ingenious idea of naming their Greninja, 'Ninja', I went with 'Shinobi'.
My cousin went with Hayabusa.
Yeah, we've all done a foreign name or fifty. Like I've said, I used Stahl for my Mawile, along with things like Hikari for Chansey or even using a Pokémon's Japanese name for my Ferrothorn in Generation V since I didn't come up with lame jokes like Barbara until later. That and my Ferrothorn was male that gen, so I couldn't have gone with Barbara.
I just remembered one nickname I haven't thought of in a while: Erik the Torterra. He was named after Erik the Red since the Vikings were the first Europeans to not only arrive in the Americas, but land on an actual continent.
Now I'm just thinking of some I've used or considered:
For Cofagrigus, I have plenty due to two reasons: 1) I am a gigantic horror nerd, 2) my sister loves Ancient Egypt so I learned a lot from her. Some of the nicknames include Karloff (after Boris Karloff, who played the titular character in the 1932 classic, The Mummy), Ramses, Hepshepsut (first female Pharaoh), Cleopatra, Osiris, Seti, Tutankhamen (my sister's expertise is in the discovery of his tomb), Imhotep (after the titular character in 1932's The Mummy, the 1999 remake, and The Mummy Returns), Kharis (the titular character in the rest of the Universal films and the Hammer remake), and likely many more if I didn't already have an extensive list (3,000 years of history really helps).
A good name for Donphan (that I stole from Chuggaaconroy) is Darmani, after the deceased Goron hero who becomes the Goron Mask in Majora's Mask.
I have a Slakoth named Velcro. It is adorable.
The Camerupt I got from the Team Magma Grunt I named Maxine, after Maxie, of course.

My new (Friend Safari born) Shiny Lampent that I plan to evolve into Chandelure as soon as I get a Dusk Stone is named Sia. For obvious reasons. Swinging on the Chandelure.

(Off-topic VM me if you have a spare Dusk Stone)

Also, my Shiny Flygon was named Shinygon in a fit of uncreativity.

My new (Friend Safari born) Shiny Lampent that I plan to evolve into Chandelure as soon as I get a Dusk Stone is named Sia. For obvious reasons. Swinging on the Chandelure.

(Off-topic VM me if you have a spare Dusk Stone)

Also, my Shiny Flygon was named Shinygon in a fit of uncreativity.
Lol, I had a Flygon once that was named 'Libelle', German for dragonfly
Also my Chandelures are almost always named Chandy, short for Chandelier

I named the first Chandelure I ever raised Will, being a Star Trek nerd, after William T. Riker, and as in Will-o-Wisp.
As for the Chandelure that I made during my foray into Pokedit, which I plan to breed to make a legit 5IVer one of these days: I named her Nightlight.
I don't know what I'll name her offspring, but maybe I'll just be boring, and name it Chandelier. Not that is going to happen for some time, since I have like a ton of other breeding projects.
Edit: not to mention a ton of soft-reseting for Legendaries.

Last edited:
I don't really have a set basis for my nicknames. Though most do tend to either be a reference of some kind or a name I think just fits the Pokemon in question. For example, I just finished EV training a Elgyem who I then NN "Crypto-01" as a reference to Destroy all Humans. I also named my Wobbuffet "Wimp Ling" as an homage to two of the best characters in Kung Pow! Enter the Fist.
"Hmm! How do you like my Face to your Fist Style!"- Wimp Lo

Got done breeding and I'm pretty proud of some of the nicknames I came up with:

Sugilite the Sableye
Red October the Sharpedo
Espionage the (imposter)Ditto and his partner Subterfuge the Zoroark
Krakatoa the Camerupt
Skywalker the Salamence (doesn't Mega-Salamence look like the Star Wars rebel symbol?)
Cardamom the Venasaur
Ultra Magnus the Metagross
Jetstream the Latios and Dreamliner the Latias
Vesper the Beedrill
Spinechiller the Glalie

The only one I'm not so sold on is Titanix the Steelix, my creativity kinda dried up on that one over metal-related names. And ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)