Nickname discussion

Skywalker the Salamence (doesn't Mega-Salamence look like the Star Wars rebel symbol?)
Glad I'm not the only one who sees that.
(Also, funny how Mega-Metagross somewhat resembles the Galactic Empire symbol. Talking about duality.)

Got done breeding and I'm pretty proud of some of the nicknames I came up with:

Sugilite the Sableye
Red October the Sharpedo
Espionage the (imposter)Ditto and his partner Subterfuge the Zoroark
Krakatoa the Camerupt
Skywalker the Salamence (doesn't Mega-Salamence look like the Star Wars rebel symbol?)
Cardamom the Venasaur
Ultra Magnus the Metagross
Jetstream the Latios and Dreamliner the Latias
Vesper the Beedrill
Spinechiller the Glalie

The only one I'm not so sold on is Titanix the Steelix, my creativity kinda dried up on that one over metal-related names. And ideas?
Solid Snake, both because it's literally a solid snake and because it's Metal Gear's main character

I've name my new Rock Head (soon to be Intimidate) Bagon Meteor. Couldn't think of a better name, and I already named my other Salamence Comet. They certainly can hit like one.

I named my new Suicune Crystal, since I have this theme where I name Version Legendaries after the name of the versions they appear in. Except for Zekrom, because he is too cool to be called Black or White. A way better name than what I called my Suicune in Crystal: Bobcat. Coincidentally, there was this girl named Crystal that I had a crush on in High School. Didn't go anywhere, though.

Oh, and there is yet another name that I don't believe I've mentioned, but have come to be really proud of, despite it's subconscious, random nature, and that is Gengster the Gengar. Previously known as Morty, I just wasn't satisfied, so I eventually came up with what he is called now. I guess it is sort of a play on the slag term 'gangsta', combined with Gengar, which sort of describes Gengar's cool, mischievous (no, really, he is mischievous), and calculating personality. It's nothing personal: he just wants to mess up any Pokémon he battles bad.

In all honesty, I tend to nickname my Pokemon after games or popculture I've picked up over the years, like fighting game characters, Internet fads, beautiful works of furry artwork, and stuff!

Here's a new one I thought of for Scizor: Ceasar.
Also, on my mono-Wobbuffet team for AG*, I named them Cody, Fox, Gree, Bly, Bacara, and Oddball. All of these names are Clone Troopers. I did this since they are Wobbu-fett clones.

*Don't hate me. There are too many teams that are five Baton Pass Smeargle and one Mega Rayquaza. You know that would win.

EDIT: I thought of a new nickname for Goodra and I am seriously considering changing the nickname of mine: Majin Buudra. That is twelve characters and might be better than Goozilla.

Last edited:
I always nickname my Pokemon. I always want to name my most important ones. Some names are easy and some are hard. My names are either fitting, and on Showdown, I make them stupid, yet clever. On Showdown, my Rotom Frost is named Vegetable Prison. I also had a Rotom Mow named Lawn Care. Casually, the names of my Goodras are the ones I'm most proud of. My first Goodra was a originally named Gelatino, but I realized that was a stupid name, so I went with Sticky, which I feel works for it's gooey appearance. And for my female Goodra, I named her Oozalina. A cute, feminine name for a charming female slime dragon. Sometimes when I catch a Pokemon I'll sit there for minutes at a time just trying to come up with a decent nickname for my Pokemon. But it's worth it for having something to make your Pokemon feel more special. If anybody replies to this, I'd like to see nicknames you made up that you're proud of. Oh yeah, Ikasama the Malamar and Scumbag the Garbodor (Showdown), are recent favorites I made up as well.

I don't know how many Goomies or Goodras, I have, but I named the one that I raised throughout my Y play-through Ooey Gooey. If not for her, playing with my Pokémon in Amie probably wouldn't've become a thing for me.

I don't know how many Goomies or Goodras, I have, but I named the one that I raised throughout my Y play-through Ooey Gooey. If not for her, playing with my Pokémon in Amie probably wouldn't've become a thing for me.
Goodra has lots of charm. Essentially the way a Yoshi does.

Well, I'm glad to see this thread resurrected. Here's some new ones of mine:

Aaron Durr the Conkeldurr
I am I huge history nerd, so this pun just amused me. For those who don't know, Aaron Burr was a former Vice President of the United States who famously ended his poltical career by killing his biggest opponent, Alexander Hamilton, in a duel. Has nothing to actually do with Conkeldurr, but I thought it was funny sounding.

One thing I did when I was trying out this Stall team (that didn't work for me) was naming them all after planets from Star Wars. Some worked really well (Mustafar the Heatran) and others not so much (Coruscant the Chansey...I don't know why I did that).

Reactions: JES
One of my nickname highlights has to be.... Mr. Bubbles the Greninja. It was such a fitting name when it was still a Froakie and Frogadier, but when it evolved I thought the name was to awesome to get rid of. Anyway, there isn't anything funnier than a ninja named Mr. Bubbles. I also named my Dragonair, Shimmer. And I often name my Torterra Oak because it has a tree. Just now did I realize it can be like Prof. Oak too... oh well. I can name any new ones I get now though Prof. Oak. I also named my Swampet Sir Swamp, as I thought that seemed very regal. In my restart of X, I decided to name my Chespin the best pun ever... Chesknight. Not only can it be read as being like a chess piece, it also has knight for it's future Fighting type.

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad to see this thread resurrected. Here's some new ones of mine:

Aaron Durr the Conkeldurr
I am I huge history nerd, so this pun just amused me. For those who don't know, Aaron Burr was a former Vice President of the United States who famously ended his poltical career by killing his biggest opponent, Alexander Hamilton, in a duel. Has nothing to actually do with Conkeldurr, but I thought it was funny sounding.

One thing I did when I was trying out this Stall team (that didn't work for me) was naming them all after planets from Star Wars. Some worked really well (Mustafar the Heatran) and others not so much (Coruscant the Chansey...I don't know why I did that).
Here's a list of more nicknames I'm proud of-

Don't Knock Off (Frail Ghost types, mainly Misdreavus), Taunt Bait (Any Pkmn that relies on status moves to function), Rocky Road (Golem), Pubes (Tangela, I'm so sorry), Powder Pluff (Sleep Powder + Swords Dance Jumpluff), Canadian Beartic (Ursaring), Moby's Dick (Kyogre, I am so sorry), Potbelly (Lickilicky / Seismitoad), Lawn Care (Rotom Mow), Vegetable Prison (Rotom Frost), Meatshield (Emboar), and Snow Cone (Vanilluxe).

Reactions: JES
Back when swagger was legal I used unaware swagsire a lot in tandem with ditto, it's hilarious how it got me a few wins.

Here's some more nicknames (I have fun coming up them):
Dan Green the Entei
The Entei in Pokémon 3: The Movie was voiced by Dan "Yugi" Green. That is all.

Bambi's Mom the Xerneas
Well, it does need to look out for Bullet Punch. I'm a sick bastard.

Palpatine the Smeargle
This is one of my various Baton Pass Smeargles for Anything Goes. This one uses Nasty Plot, so Palpatine just fits.

Magikarpe Diem the Charizard...nah, just kidding, it's a Magikarp
This is the star of one of my Anything Goes teams where I just set up boosts and Baton Pass them to the 'karp and proceed to wreck things. You need to seize the day after all.

Kingpin the Snorlax
Named after the Marvel villain of the same name. I still need to watch the new Daredevil show.

Freud the Hypno
Do I have to explain this one?

Morgan Butterfreeman the Butterfree
Sadly, this one doesn't even really fit in Showdown.

Dwayne the Carbink
I don't think I've shared this one before. It is named after Dwyane "The Rock" Johnson. It is a pun on Carbink's type. There is the obvious one, but then there is the reference to the film The Tooth Fairy where The Rock plays the titular character. I've never seen the film, but it was too good a joke.

Christmas the Gengar. A pretty simple one but one I'm rather fond of; it of course comes from The Ghost of Christmas Past/Present/Future from A Christmas Carol. In addition, it's beautiful to me to see such a menacing figure of the afterlife come out with such a cheery nickname attached to it.

Soundwave the Gallade. A pretty old one from a few years back; I planned a Gallade to be on my Platinum team and it's arms reminded me of the Transformers Prime iteration of Soundwave.

Puff the Sylveon. Another one of my guilty favourites - Puff is the titular character of the song Puff the Magic Dragon, and of course Sylveon as a fairy-type absolutely murders magic dragons. Irony :D

Tracy the Zapdos. Naming it 'thunderbird' was a bit too obvious, so I decided to name it after the family name and island in Thunderbirds instead.

Xenomorph the Kabuto because they always reminded me of facehuggers.

BudgetKyogre the Politoed. Nothing creative here, it's pretty obvious why it's called that, but dammit I just find it so FUNNY.

Inori and Shu the Gardevoir and Gallade, respectively. If you haven't watched the chinese cartoon anime Guilty Crown and want to, warning, spoilers ahead.

Gardevoir and Gallade's Mega Evolutions center around the red 'heart' crest on their chest expanding out and being used as a weapon; at least the way I see it. Gallade's is much more obvious in becoming his arm blade things, while Gardevoir's sort of expands and I think that's the source of Pixilate and it's increased special attacking prowess. In Guilty Crown, the main power used by the primary protagonist Shu is to extract a weapon from the souls of people based on their personality, which I found perfect for these two. Hence Gallade is named after Shu - and in fact the main weapon he uses is the sword from Inori's soul - while the female Gardevoir is named after the primary female protagonist Inori, who is in fact a singer and of course Gardy always runs Hyper Voice.

Giga the Beedrill.

As a final note; while I'm probably alone on this or am one of few, I prefer not to name my legendaries - reason for this is because I'm one of those people who feel that there's only one of or very few of each species - especially cases like Mewtwo and Genesect - and hence in a way I find them one-of-a-kind and defined by their species; and in a way so above humans that I wouldn't dare attach a name to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)