Ninetales

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
I posted these suggestions on the subjective changes thread, but I'm not too sure myself:

also, @Brizznetz, jw what does your EV spread do?
I think you only need neutal w/ 40 speed (44 for some Hidden Power) to out-speed Max speed Tyranitar, standard Celebi, and specially deffensive Jirachi.

Edit: Just relalized that extra speed is for jolly scizor, which is highly unnesasary imo. I would just stay in the 40 range for that spread.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think you only need neutal w/ 40 speed (44 for some Hidden Power) to out-speed Max speed Tyranitar, standard Celebi, and specially deffensive Jirachi.

Edit: Just relalized that extra speed is for jolly scizor, which is highly unnesasary imo. I would just stay in the 40 range for that spread.
Let me ask you one thing.What happens if you trap a specs Timid Politoed?
Let's say you already have statused it,and now you hit it on the switch in with Fire Spin.After this you use Protect and then you try to Disable his Hydro Pump .... only to be killed by the faster Politoed.
So why not put enough evs to always outspeed positive natured Politoeds?

I used a Drought team in OU for a couple of weeks with Ninetales as the ringleader. It wasn't fantastic thanks to the abundance of Tyranitar's and Politoed's. And to add to that, they're pretty predictable in terms of strategy. All-out offense since there's no real way to stall in the sun. I don't think Ninetales will be sicking around in OU too long.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
^Not only has Ninetales remained in OU for over a year, but its usage has actually gone up since then. Not only that, but a number of players have managed to hit the top of the ladder by playing sun.

It's completely possible to run at least a balanced sun team. My sun team has a defensive core, for instance. However I haven't heard of full out sun-stall (unlike, say, rain-stall).

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Benlisted and I sort of messed around with sun stall back when fifth gen was just getting started. I don't have the mindset for stall, but there were a few things about it that interested me, such as being able to use certain walls without residual weather damage chipping away at them every turn (eviolite tangela, dusknoir, a dusclops that can actually use leftovers and doesn't fail against rain boosted starmie hydro pump). Venusaur is able to run the speedy, yet bulky route thanks to chlorophyll. SpD heatran is pretty much invincible with the likes of Celebi at his side. Deoxys-D isn't reduced to UU use...

Back then, excadrill was a pain in the ass for stall, and infernape and especially reuniclus, were a little more popular. Now, you could probably get away with it as long as you don't make the mistake of putting too much stock into Ninetales.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Maybe a stall team with a random Ninetales "thrown in". Instead of a sun team, a team with sun.
what are the benefits of that? Sun isn't a very good defensive weather as its way harder to wall then rain (we got one flash fire poke in OU and that can be OHKO'd by almost all Sun abusers, bar the chlorophyllers and Volcarona), it got no defensive abusers like rain stall does (and rain stall pokes also get scald buffed), the enemys dragons now get boosted fire moves wich means they got an easier time removing you steel types and you don't even get any residual damage. The only benefit would be cancelling out the opponents Rain/Sand/hail and while rain teams would hate this, you would have to win the weather war first and most offensive sun teams even use Dugtrio because its pretty hard winning the weather war with tales otherwise.

Maybe a stall team with a random Ninetales "thrown in". Instead of a sun team, a team with sun.
what are the benefits of that? Sun isn't a very good defensive weather as its way harder to wall then rain (we got one flash fire poke in OU and that can be OHKO'd by almost all Sun abusers, bar the chlorophyllers and Volcarona), it got no defensive abusers like rain stall does (and rain stall pokes also get scald buffed), the enemys dragons now get boosted fire moves wich means they got an easier time removing you steel types and you don't even get any residual damage. The only benefit would be cancelling out the opponents Rain/Sand/hail and while rain teams would hate this, you would have to win the weather war first and most offensive sun teams even use Dugtrio because its pretty hard winning the weather war with tales otherwise.
I can see it being used to help nerf water weaknesses and give Pokemon like Hippowdon (w/o Sand Stream) an easier opportunity to stall. It's usually predictable when a super effective Grass attack is coming in, so nerfing his other common weakness could prove to be beneficial.

Not to mention Morning Sun gets a boost (heals 2/3 of HP is I'm not mistaken) so healing with Morning Sun could definitely be implemented.

Ninetailes shouldnt be looked at as a offensive presence , but as a teamplayer.

Using a spread of something like :

Scouting Fox @ leftovers/balloon
Nature : Timid
EV's : 200 HP/232 SPE/ 78 DEF
Moves : Protect , disable , roar , flamethrower

Using this set requires a lot of skill , but its really worth using it. A lot of people know this set , but i wanted to point it out again because its so amazingle effective.A lot of people only run 1 move that can hit Ninetailes supereffective , the idea is to protect , and than disable that move. When they bring in a other pokemon to take ninetailes out , predict and either attack or roar the pokemon away , racking up entry hazards damage. Roar also prevents it from being set up bait for things like dnite and volcarona. If your afraid of pokemon that can use more moves to kill ninetailes , try running balloon. For example , now that sword dance gliscor with facade and earthquake can touch you .Disable isnt only usefull to save his own ass , it can be used to create free switches for his teammates.

HP
The HP ev's let ninetailes hit 337 hp , a leftovers number +1 if this is your item of choice. If using balloon , you can simply use max hp , but it wont allow him to survive much more.

Speed
Using max speed on ninetails is quite useless in OU , seeing the only base 100;s in OU are : Celebi , Jirachi , Salamence , Tentacruel , Volcarona and other ninetailes. With most fire moves and drought , jirachi and celebi are beaten anyway , and he has no chance of stopping salamence from dding , and tentacruel from toxic spiking. Volcarona just sets up on him if he doesnt pack roar ( for wich he doesnt need max speed). You want to outspeed both max speed haxorus and gliscor tough , do to this we need a timid nature and 232 EV's
It doesnt really matter where you put the rest of the EV's , i used it on defense because this helps taking random hits overall ( like iron head from jirachi etc or aquajet from azumarill). With drought aiding in flamethrowers power , i dont see why i should be using SPA on this set , rather than koing or 2koing specific threaths.

As for the moves , disable , protect and roar are a must for above reasons. You can pack certain decent moves for in the last slot. An attacking move should be used( energyball , overheat , fireblast) , tough it has tons of other options like safeguard , confuse ray , toxic , will o wisp , hypnosis, and magic coat. I did not try a trapping set with fire spin , tough it sounds interesting.

Most teams with a SR weak pokemon need to have a rapid spinner , and a team with ninetailes is no exception. Donphan is easily one of his best partners. Drought takes away that pesky water weakness , and ninetailes has no trouble dealing with grass and ice pokemon whatsoever.Ninetailes also can disable water takes ( like scald on vaporeon) for donphan. Donphan can in return rapid spin , attack with stab eq ( to take out ttar for example) and utilize ice shard to revenge or weaken dragons. I should also note that donphan learns fire fang , wich combinded with drought gets a whopping 97 base power wich can be used to kill ferrothorn , forry and skarmory , all three are pokemon that like to set up on donphan. Fire fang deals 37.1% - 44.3% damage to physically skarmory ( 49.7% - 58.7% on specially defensive), tough this isnt enough to 2ko , a lot of skarmory will try roosting in your face and a fire fang + SE earthquake is a easy ko. Some more calculations for fire fang :

Donphan , 252+ atk /252hp with sturdy and leftovers Fire fang

vs NastyplotCelebi( wich will always set up on you first) : 63.6% - 75.1%( a ko combined with ice shard and SR damage/lifeorb damage)

vs Bandedscizor : 129.4% - 152.8%

vs GrowthVenusaur : 85.4% - 100.7% ( good chance to ko with SR/life orb damage)

vs SubsporeBreloom 100% - 118.2%

vs Subsplitgar : 63.7% - 75.2%(wich he can only hit with ice shard otherwise)

vs CMVirizion : 84.5% - 99.7%

Its been working greatly for me , so i just wanted to share this.

Note : I dont take credit for the ninetailes set , just wanted to show what it can do!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)