Nintendo connection tour (Aus VGC) Brisbane Winning Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I’d post the team I used to give some insight to what was going through my mind that day, thanks to all the people I vs’d, you were all good sports and the battles really could have gone either way at certain points.

Iv’s are listed as I thought they played a major impact on the outcome of certain battles

Leads

Jellicent (m) @ Water Gem
Nature: Modest
Ev’s: 168hp, 248SpA, 92Spe
Iv’s: 30/x/30/31/31/31
- Water Spout
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Trick Room

Amoongus (m) @ Mental Herb
Nature: Bold
Ev’s: 196hp, 156def, 140spD, 16Spe
Iv’s: 31/x/31/31/31/30
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Spore
- Rage Powder

Finishers

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
Ev’s: 4hp,252att, 252spe
Iv’s: 30/31/30/x/30/31
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Protect

Tornadus(m)@ Flight Gem
Nature: Jolly
Ev’s : 4hp, 252att, 252Spe
Iv’s: 30/30/30/x/31/31
- Acrobatics
- Tailwind
- Substitute
- Protect

Jellicent and Amoongus were the two pokemon I used to lead with throughout the day and they served me very well. Their main use was to counter the Terrakion + Whimsicott lead combo by Anger powerdering first turn and either trickrooming or waterspouting with Jellicent. Unfortunately I didn’t actually vs that lead combo at all.

Opposing trick room teams were a little trickier to go up against but on the day the extra speed Iv’s on Amoongus were vital for sporing first and using Jellicents own trick room to reverse the effects of the opponents trick room, it was risky but paid off well. Against normal teams, anger powder offered a means to fire off full powered water spouts with Jellicent which would hopefully do massive damage to the opponent. The choice of item on Amoongus was pretty hard; I was tossing up between mental herb and focus sash but I eventually decided on mental herb in the end which would aid in countering Whimsicott. The speed Iv’s for Jellicent were to make it fast enough in tailwind to out speed the genies if needed.

Terrakion and Tornadus were the powerhouses. Pre tournament I was pretty undecided on the item and 3rd move on Terrakion but I eventually settled for Focus sash encase I were to lose the speed tie against other Terrakions and quick attack which was mainly for Whimsicott and the geneies. It ended up saving me to the max during the Semi’s though so no regrets there. Substitute on Tornadus was mainly a backup plan if I failed to stop trickroom from being set up where I would ultimately stall until it was over. I didn’t end up using Tailwind once mainly since the opportunity never came up.

Memorable moments of the day:
Round 1: my first match was on the tv so I was pretty nervous and the dude I was vsing thought I had cheated using mental herb
Round 2: was on the tv again!, ended up having a communication error two times so we had to have our third rematch in the corner.
Semi’s: Thought I had lost due to the way it started but Terrakions quick attack and focus sash won it for me in the end.
Finals: A long epic match, helped won (from what I can remember) by a rock blast miss, flinch, lucky awakenings and ultimate stalling out of trick room...twice.

Didn't a Rock Slide prove any hindrance at all to your team? I would think a Rock Slide coming off a Landorus or something would do massive damage to your Jellicent and possibly flaw your strategy. Anyway, congratulations!

Didn't a Rock Slide prove any hindrance at all to your team? I would think a Rock Slide coming off a Landorus or something would do massive damage to your Jellicent and possibly flaw your strategy. Anyway, congratulations!
Well he said he didn't run into no Beat Up Terrakion strategies, so the only other really popular Poke using Rock Slide was Conkeldurr. Two things that blew my mind:

~Not a SINGLE Beat Up Terrakion?!?
~A Tailwind team that never got around to using Tailwind the entire tournament!?! (No offense at all, but that's kind of Ironic and funny)

Were those the only 4 on your team? Or just the 4 you battled the final with?

Heh, now this is the kind of Trick Room team I like. It benefits greatly from TR, yet it isn't auto-doomed if it can't get TR set up (or if TR runs out long before the battle is over).

Excellent job.

You're only allowed four mons total in this tournament series iirc.

Do you have the video anywhere? And congratulations
Krul put a video of our semi match on youtube but I’m not sure when/if the final’s is going to pop up, thank you
Yea Landlos would have been a massive threat with its multi hit moves but luckily I didn’t come across one, I think my plan would have been to trick room then shadow ball if I survived. My only fear with rock slide would be a critical hit and flinch first turn. In the semi’s, rock slide coming meinshao critted on jellicent but still only took out about a third of its health and with water gem, big damage was still done, I think a life orb terrakion at 0+ would take out about a third as well. Thanks!
Two things that blew my mind:
~Not a SINGLE Beat Up Terrakion?!?
~A Tailwind team that never got around to using Tailwind the entire tournament!?! (No offense at all, but that's kind of Ironic and funny)
I know right, there were a few people using it throughout the rounds but I was never able to go up against one which was unfortunate. Haha and I never actually had a trick room favouring my team either. The only times I used it was to counter the opposing trick room and the one time I thought I should try it to abuse; my Jellicent got taunted before it got the chance.

You're only allowed four mons total in this tournament series iirc.
I thought that it worked like Wi-Fi, where you have six but team preveiw was on and you had to chose only 4 for that battle....

If you didn't see any Beat Up Terrakion, what was the most common strategy you saw? Or were there not that many competitive battles?

know right, there were a few people using it throughout the rounds but I was never able to go up against one which was unfortunate. Haha and I never actually had a trick room favouring my team either. The only times I used it was to counter the opposing trick room and the one time I thought I should try it to abuse; my Jellicent got taunted before it got the chance.
Its a good idea (that you beat me to :P) using your own Tailwind and Trick Room to counter other peoples, and its really funny how you never used Tailwind, rarely used Trick Room, and you never got to test your Beat Up Terrakion counter.

Krul put a video of our semi match on youtube but I’m not sure when/if the final’s is going to pop up, thank you
Do you have the link?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I thought that it worked like Wi-Fi, where you have six but team preveiw was on and you had to chose only 4 for that battle....
Presumably these tournaments were set up before we knew that Team Preview was going to be allowed, so they limited the players to 4.

just saw all the videos. bunch of people yelling
If you think that was yelling, you should've heard the crowd every time a Whimsicott/Terrakion combo got taken down on the big screen. I was a major initiator in it, but still.

I think the most clutch match was a team that beat Whimsicott/Terrakion with a Hydreigon remaining with <5 HP. It was disgusting to watch.

EDIT: I uploaded the final match in 2 parts.

Part 1
Part 2

If you think that was yelling, you should've heard the crowd every time a Whimsicott/Terrakion combo got taken down on the big screen. I was a major initiator in it, but still.

I think the most clutch match was a team that beat Whimsicott/Terrakion with a Hydreigon remaining with <5 HP. It was disgusting to watch.

Part 1
Part 2
Thats where the Landorus exploded Hydreigion to 5hp and the Whimiscott didn't have an attack to take down Hydreigion

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i guess the video cut out but chaser were you trying to TR at the end there when Amoonguss finally died while Rage Powdering and got flinched or attacked?

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
oof. yeah nothing you could have done there.

what i learned from these aussie videos: wonder launcher is incredibly broken.

wonder launcher is incredibly broken.
Eh. I can see it going either way really. I didn't use it (tried to when I was losing, nothing could help), however it sped up a lot of matches that would otherwise have been slow (I remember one particular match with an Amoonguss on each side, using Awakening to was them up early). By the time anything amazingly useful comes into play, most matches would be over anyway. I think it's what, 11 or 12 turns before you can use a Revive?

But I can also see that it is a pointless addition to the game, but hey, it's Nintendo Australia we're talking about.

Yeah the final was only match where i actually used it. Funny thing was makiri told me the day before to use max revive after 14 turns and thats what reminded me about using it.

Part 1
Part 2
Thanks for adding the vids to youtube, haha the dude who was using that landlos and whimsicott was a guy I met at the start of that day, I felt pretty bad for him, was totally epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)