ORAS OU Nirvana's Hail (Peaked #1 with 2042 Ladder and 91.2 GXE)

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Nirvana's Hail

I like when something I start to use is used on ladder after me. But well, I saw that after I created this team, a lot of people started to claim the team as their own (copying even the order of the mons in the preview lmao). Well, I wanted to keep the team for me, but that's kinda unfair and sad as fuck, so I've to post this even if angry. I started to use this team on ladder like 1 weak ago and I suddenly noticed it's really effective in this metagame and then I started to gain points til I peaked 1 with a pretty decent 91.7 % GXE. Well, I loved to use Hail in BW so I wanted to create an ORAS OU Hail, using the underrated Mega Abomasnow. Abomasnow has a lot of weaknesses, as Grass-Ice type mon, but his type is amazing as offensive type. It's Slow as hell, but it has a lot of offensive power in both special and physical sides. When I built Hail in the BW MG, there was a "rule". Sunny teams were common, so Heatran or a fire type was kinda obligatory. I don't like Heatran so much in ORAS, but it's like one of the best choice I can do in order to create a safe and effective Hail Team. It offers me protection against fairies and Talonflame, so I inserted him. Then, one of the problems of the core were the Entry Hazardz. I wanted to use Tentacruel, but Cruel in hail is such a suicide, so I inserted Starmie. It covers me from Keldeo and keeps my field nice n clean. Then I noticed my team was too Slow, and I was missing an Excadrill switchin, and a ground immunity. I also needed a revenge killer, and something to deal with EQ Char X. So I picked Scarf Landorus-T for this role, since I already had a SR setter. Now i wanted to employ the amazing offensive Ice Type, so I inserted another Ice Mon. I wanted to use Kyub, but I noticed i was Stall Weak, so I inserted the Normal Kyurem. It's an amazing mon and can ppstall out a lot of stall teams. It wreckes ferrothorn, slowbros (if not cm) and pink blobs like Chansey and Blissey. It's also a decent protection against Mega Manectric. Last, but not least, I inserted a Clefable, cuz if offers me protection against Latwins and Mega Lopunny, and take out pressures from Entry Hazardz cuz of it's ability. Now the team is complete, so let's see it in details!

Nirvana (Abomasnow) (M) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 108 Atk / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard

Well, that's how I started to build. An Ice-Grass typing mon, one of the worst defensive types of the planet but, imo, one of the best offensive types too. Abomasnow Spread is clearly not the common one. Abomasnow is slow, you know, but I decided to run some speed evs cuz I wanted to outspeed slow things like Slowbro, Slowking, Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, Hippowdon. The speed I gave to him, protects me in the first turn against stuff like Azumarill and outspeeds (when it's not mega) a common Skarmory. The moveset is pretty clear: Blizzard is an amazing and an unfallible move that does a lot of damages on frail stuff (even kill) like Lopunny, Excadrill etc. It also is a good move against Ferrothorn (possibile 2ohko) and clear ohko on stuff like Amoonguss. The second move is Earthquake cuz, since there is no safe switchin on this thing (eccept for MScizor and Chansey), people will try to send out Heatran, and so you can catch him on switchin, helping win conditions like Clefable to win. Giga drain is preferred to Wood Hammer cuz i'm max spatk, and Aboma is often sent out against Rotom-Ws so it will prolly be burned or stuff, so definitively Giga > Wood Hammer. The last move is Ice shard, priority move that often allows me to finish weakened Hoopa, Excadrill, Diancie, Thundurus, Tornadus etc.

Hazy (Kyurem) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Roost
- Ice Beam

Kyurem was one of my favorite mons in the BW era, not only cuz of the good offensive typing and the amazing Ice-Ground coverage (hi mamo re u there bro). Its ability is amazing against stall and is always a win condition, ppstalling rough stuff like Chansey and Blissey, or Ferrothorn. The evs spread is pretty clear: max speed in order to outspeed common Kyurem-B, 56 hp cuz of 101 hp each sub, that allows me to tank Chansey and Blissey Seismic Tosses and the remaining evs in Special Attack to maximaze the damage. Substitute ub often saves me against Bisharp, one of the problems of the team (and the reason of the weird Heatran spread) and avoids status spam.

Run (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP / 24 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Starmie is here to protect my team from Entry Hazardz. Even if it's pursuitable, Starmie remains one of the most reliable spinners of the whole metagame. It was needed cuz of the double ice spam of the team. Max speed allows me to revenge kill (if in range) stuff of Diancie, Thundurus, Gengar etc. The spread is simple, 232 hp cuz "319" is one of the Magic Lefties Number, allowing me to gain 1 extra hp each turn with Leftovers. The remaining evs in speed in order to tank Keldeo, outspeeding the specs one and tanking the scarf one. 0 IVs in atk cuz of mega Sableye. Scald should burn (yeh, it should), Recover and Spin are obvious and Thunderwave is a perfect move on Starmie cuz it will allow you to paralize Tornadus-T, Gengar and other threats of the team such as Kyurem-B if my Kyurem is weakened.

Away (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Landorus-T is here as ground immunity and as revenge killer. It's usually the lead of the team since its intimidate. It's the sand destroyer of the team and keeps high the momentum of the team with the volturning move. Jolly > Adamant cuz of Charizard X even if often I feel I should use adamant D: Its uturn is often a magnet for pokèmon like Rotom-W or Hippowdon and allows Abomasnow and Kyurem to do an instant kill or setup easily with the substitute. It's important cuz i'm Pinsir weak (even if he can't setup on nothing O_O) so i've to rely on it to revengekill him, but I usually miss so.... sad :c

Last (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Clefable is my main Lopunny swith in and one of the most important win condition of the team. The set is the common defensive one, with 385 hp in order to gain one more hp from Leftovers and 0 ivs in atk cuz no needed. Magic Guard + Hail is perfect, especially because hail teams are often ruined by Stealth Rocks. I was offensive Scizor (with Superpower + SD) weak, so I decided to use Flamethrower on Clefable. FT helps me against Skarmory, Excadrill and Ferrothorn. It's also important cuz of FT always lures Scizor and steel mons, so Abomasnow and Kyurem are free to ice spam everything.

TakeMeTo (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Protect

Last but not least is Heatran, the fire absorber of the team. Even if not a safe switchin, it's important against Charizard Y and Mega Gardevoir (and HP Fire diancie too). The evs spread is weird: it's calculated in order to tank a +2 LO bisharp Knock Off and to tank Talonflame. It's also the Stealth Rock setter of the team. Protect is really important cuz Heatran is one of the few things that let Keldeo enter "freely" so, since the most common keldeo set is the specs/scarf one, it will reveal me the move and so I can switch on Aboma rather than on Fable, if Starmie is ded/weakened. Roar is amazing in this team cuz it stops pokèmon like Volcarona, Charizard X or Clefable to setup.

I hope you liked it and I wanted to say that is extremely sad post other teams here as yours, just changing 1 mon or 1 set. That's really a shame. It's a weird team, so I don't think that 10 ppl at the same time had a similiar idea. Here the prove of the peaks:

And here the ETT :)

Hazy (Kyurem) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Roost
- Ice Beam

Nirvana (Abomasnow) (M) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 108 Atk / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard

Run (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP / 24 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Away (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Last (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

TakeMeTo (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Protect

Last edited:

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
Hey Snou, I really like the creativity in this team.

Some problematic issues I see:

Fast Mega Scizor with Superpower, obviously. It sets up on Landorus-t, Kyurem, Mega Abomasnow, and then Heatran gets outsped and killed and Clef and Starmie just die obviously.

Mega Pinsir is another obvious one as you said. Landorus-t can't switch in cuz of Hyper Cutter, Stone edge might miss, Pinsir can set up SD on the weak fthrower Clefable and everything just dies.

Sand Rush Excadrill with LO. Everything on your team gets ravaged by Excadrill under the sand, besides Landorus-t. Landorus-t is also the scarf set and not defensive, meaning Life Orb Iron head is a 2hko so you can't even switch in.

Azumarill. Outspeeds Abomasnow after it has Mega Evolved, walls Kyurem, and obviously everything else just dies.

Now, in your description, seeing as how you specifically stated you're using Clefable as your Mega Lopunny switch in, why not add a physically defensive Skarmory > Clefable? I feel like it would really benefit you in the long run. It helps with your Mega Pinsir problem, Mega Scizor problem, Excadrill problem, and lack of Azumarill switch ins, not to mention it still functions Clef's role pretty well as a Weavile and Mega Lopunny switch in (also Latis too but you have a Heatran for back up). Sure, you're gonna be now slightly weaker to Mega Sableye, but Mega Abomasnow and Kyurem do a good job at pressuring most Mega Sableye defensive builds anyways.

Also, I remember PMing you this but I would really consider putting your attack EVs on Mega Abomasnow into HP/defensive stats for more bulk. The given attack EVs don't allow you to kill anything of worth significance, and your scarf Landorus-t can outspeed and revenge kill most weakened Pokemon anyways. However, the main reason I feel this is necessary is because it is your **only** real way to stop a TG Manaphy sweep. It can set up on Heatran and Landorus-t real easy, and even though Kyurem can take some hits from it, it can't do anything back since you lack a dragon STAB/Fusion Bolt. Putting more HP EVs on Mega Abomasnow would really help you here with Manaphy and Waters in general, and you can retaliate back with a super hard hitting Giga Drain.

Awesome hail team though, I definitely like it way more than the other similar variants of it. (:

Last edited:

Fast Mega Scizor with Superpower, obviously. It sets up on Landorus-t, Kyurem, Mega Abomasnow, and then Heatran gets outsped and killed and Clef and Starmie just die obviously.

Mega Pinsir is another obvious one as you said. Landorus-t can't switch in cuz of Hyper Cutter, Stone edge might miss, Pinsir can set up SD on the weak fthrower Clefable and everything just dies.

Sand Rush Excadrill with LO. Everything on your team gets ravaged by Excadrill under the sand, besides Landorus-t. Landorus-t is also the scarf set and not defensive, meaning Life Orb Iron head is a 2hko so you can't even switch in.

Azumarill. Outspeeds Abomasnow after it has Mega Evolved, walls Kyurem, and obviously everything else just dies.

Now, in your description, seeing as how you specifically stated you're using Clefable as your Mega Lopunny switch in, why not add a physically defensive Skarmory > Clefable? I feel like it would really benefit you in the long run. It helps with your Mega Pinsir problem, Mega Scizor problem, Excadrill problem, and lack of Azumarill switch ins, not to mention it still functions Clef's role pretty well as a Weavile and Mega Lopunny switch in (also Latis too but you have a Heatran for back up). Sure, you're gonna be now slightly weaker to Mega Sableye, but Mega Abomasnow and Kyurem do a good job at pressuring most Mega Sableye defensive builds anyways.

Also, I remember PMing you this but I would really consider putting your attack EVs on Mega Abomasnow into HP/defensive stats for more bulk. The given attack EVs don't allow you to kill anything of worth significance, and your scarf Landorus-t can outspeed and revenge kill most weakened Pokemon anyways. However, the main reason I feel this is necessary is because it is your **only** real way to stop a TG Manaphy sweep. It can set up on Heatran and Landorus-t real easy, and even though Kyurem can take some hits from it, it can't do anything back since you lack a dragon STAB/Fusion Bolt. Putting more HP EVs on Mega Abomasnow would really help you here with Manaphy and Waters in general, and you can retaliate back with a super hard hitting Giga Drain.

Awesome hail team though, I definitely like it way more than the other similar variants of it. (:
I'll just add some threat here :

* I think Zard y w/ focus blast / earthquake is an enormous problem against your team. no one of your pokemon could outspeed him unless starmie, but he just die and scald does like 30%, and landorus-t isn't a switch in.

* Gengar could be rude too, the only way to kill him is a focus blast miss. Lando-t could outspeed him but same thing, landorus-t isn't really switch in.

* LO Breloom is a threat too, he could spore one of your poke and just rekt your team after one SD.

* Chansey is really annoying too, you don't have a real answer to kill him and he could toxic / weaken a lot of your poke unless clefable, but generally chansey is paired w/ a good clefable counter like clear smog amoonguss / spd skarm.

* SpD talonflame w/ taunt is another threat i see, your only answer is starmie but i think he's not here for deal w/ spd talonflame and if he's weakened, talonflame could clear easily your team.

and finally for me, the best threat, did Volcarona hp ground just 6-0 your team after a QD ? I think yes, no answer and he could setup him on clefable, kyurem and starmie if he's lum berry, even by being very careful it's practically impossible to face him with this team. You have to remedy to it's really quickly.

Snou

I'll just add some threat here :

* I think Zard y w/ focus blast / earthquake is an enormous problem against your team. no one of your pokemon could outspeed him unless starmie, but he just die and scald does like 30%, and landorus-t isn't a switch in.

* Gengar could be rude too, the only way to kill him is a focus blast miss. Lando-t could outspeed him but same thing, landorus-t isn't really switch in.

* LO Breloom is a threat too, he could spore one of your poke and just rekt your team after one SD.

* Chansey is really annoying too, you don't have a real answer to kill him and he could toxic / weaken a lot of your poke unless clefable, but generally chansey is paired w/ a good clefable counter like clear smog amoonguss / spd skarm.

* SpD talonflame w/ taunt is another threat i see, your only answer is starmie but i think he's not here for deal w/ spd talonflame and if he's weakened, talonflame could clear easily your team.

and finally for me, the best threat, did Volcarona hp ground just 6-0 your team after a QD ? I think yes, no answer and he could setup him on clefable, kyurem and starmie if he's lum berry, even by being very careful it's practically impossible to face him with this team. You have to remedy to it's really quickly.
Hei! Then, gengar is not counterable, thats true. You can just rkill it. In this team, Scarflando, shard aboma, a plume of tran, a scald of mie, a subbed kyurem can make the difference. Life orb breloom can't literally sword dance O_O nothing here let him setup. Kyurem easily win against chansey, thanks to 101 hps sub. Spdef talon is annoying, but you have starmie + scarflando-t. I won against a Sword Dance + Taunt talon, so i can guarantee u can do it.

Last edited:
Hei! Then, gengar is not counterable, that true. You can just rkill it. In this team, Scarflando, shard aboma, a plume of tran, a scald of mie, a subbed kyurem can make the difference. Life orb breloom can literally sword dance O_O nothing here le him setup. Kyurem easily win against chansey, thanks to 101 hps sub. Spdef talon is annoying, but you have starmie + scarflando-t. I won against a Sword Dance + Taunt talon, so i can guarantee u can do it.
Breloom could spore all of your poke and setup a sword dance, unless on aboma, but mach punch could be rude, you need to win two 50/50. :<
Yep i forgot the 101hp on kyurem, mb.
But scarf lando can't go easily on talonflame, and yup starmie could be a counter if he isn't weakened.

But yh, talon and chansey aren't rly a threat, But all the other threat ( zard y / Breloom / gengar / volcarona ) will make you pass a hard time.

I hope i helped you a little.

Last edited:

Snou

Ok, tried Skarmory. Not bad but the team is so passive now... And I got rekt by PuP punny D:

Reactions: Sun
CM Manaphy sets up easily on Cube and you dont really have anything for it.
Recommend switching Wood Hammer in for Giga Drain on Abomasnow. Played against this team on the ladder too many times and just had freelo each time with Manaphy.

I would recommend changing the Lando to a defensive set to help out more against physical threats.

Pokemon such as Hoopa U, Opposing Lando, Exca, M Pinsir, and M Zard X appear to just 6-0 you. By changing lando to a bulky set you can more easily handle these threats.

jpw234

Catastrophic Event Specialist
Hey -Snow, awesome team - I really respect your building abilities. One thing I noticed here - you seem to have trouble breaking past bulky CM users if they have decent team support. I've played this team on the ladder and had a lot of success with CM/Roar Suicune, but it looks like you would have similar problems against CM Reuniclus and other such mons (e.g. Curse Gastro after Aboma is gone, or CM/Rest Manaphy). If that's a concern for you, you might consider going to Unaware/Moonlight on Clefable. That kinda hurts its viability as a general-purpose wincon, but it does improve your chances against these slow boosters users and also against PuP Lopunny, which you mentioned was an issue. You could also try putting Wood Hammer on Abomasnow? That, along with possibly an EV spread tweak, would help you in breaking past Suicune/Gastro/Manaphy, although I don't think it gets through Reun. I don't see other fixes that don't open up bigger holes elsewhere.

Snou

Thanks :o Your fix is not bad at all but i prefer to be weak to "uncommon" sets like Curse Gastrodon, and keep something for Fastzor with Superpower (ft fable is needed there) or Ferrothorn (Heatran is a switch in but it doesn't recover, and there is Hail so it's not so durable). PuP punny is not a problem, it should be a problem with Skarmo > Fable which someone suggested. Thanks for the rate :O

I like how u lose to mega lop as soon as clef is below 50%
Does a smart ass comment like this that points out a small weakness with no solution to help it help anyone? Smh if you have 1 check then you keep it healthy. If you switch in you gotta recover, and if you can't see tht, it's on you not the builder. No reason you're gonna get banned with all this dumb shit you keep saying.

Last edited:

Snou

Does a smart ass comment like this that points out a small weakness with no solution to help it help anyone? Smh if you have 1 check then you keep it healthy. If you switch in you gotta recover, and if you can't see tht, it's on you not the builder. No reason you're gonna get banned with all this dumb shit you keep saying.
Holy words. ORAS OU is a big and complex metagame. If you have one counter for a mon, especially if a mega one, keep it healthy and you'll be ok. Or, for example, we'll have Slowbro + Sableye in every team cuz under 40 % sableye can't counter Medicham, so you have to rely on Slowbro. Why should I listen to suggestions like these ç_ç

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I really like hail, great team : ))

Lots of threats, but you can't really do anything about them without opening up more holes - but i mean thats just ORAS OU for ya.

~

Hey man, I like the team a lot. However, I can't see really changing much on your team at all. You managed to get to the top of the ladder with a team that on the surface doesn't look like it would work due to how poor Kyurem and Abomasnow's typing are and the tons of very common weaknesses running around. This team is both creative, and apparently amazing to get to the top of the ladder like you did. Wish I was as good as you. I can barely get through the 1500s if at all. lol. Yeah the team has weaknesses, but so does every team ever made. You can't cover everything. Congrats on being the best for a while with an unconventional team. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)