No Ability Metagame!

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Water Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Archeops: 314-372 (107.9 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (so it still is a check)
Why would you use Water Pulse on Mega Blastoise? Use Surf or Hydro Pump!
And on a side note, LO regular Luke is probably a check to Archeops since it's Bullet Punch is stronger. Really, with Adaptability gone, all Mega Luke has got going for it is its speed.
252 Atk Life Orb Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 218-257 (74.9 - 88.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
So, Life Orb Lucario is only a check Archeops if SR is up.

It's suprisingly easy to forget that abilities do not exist in the no-ability metagame.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Talonflame became slightly worse, but also more difficult to counter, considering that it can fire off flare blitz without worrying about Heatran.

Cloyster and Scizor take a huge nerf here, without Skill Link and Technician. It also makes MegaCross less useful. The Nincada family as a whole becomes utterly broken- in half, that is. Ninjask was already outclassed by Scolipede, but now it becomes a Deoxys-S that's less bulky and can't put down hazards. Also lol at Shedinja and Sableye Also, does this make it possible for Shaymin-S to come down from Ubers?

Garchomp is almost completely unaffected, although Rough Skin being lost is a little bit painful. Worth it for the ability to not worry about levitate though- EdgeQuake and BoltBeam are better than before in this meta. Rotom-S new meta! Also Tyranitar is usable on teams that don't have a focus on sand. Another Pokemon that is absolutely unaffected is Zygarde, as it already had a useless ability. Same goes for Keldeo, Entei, Raikou, and Manaphy, to an extent.

Overall? Seems interesting. Should be fun to see it develop.

Talonflame became slightly worse, but also more difficult to counter, considering that it can fire off flare blitz without worrying about Heatran.

Cloyster and Scizor take a huge nerf here, without Skill Link and Technician. It also makes MegaCross less useful. The Nincada family as a whole becomes utterly broken- in half, that is. Ninjask was already outclassed by Scolipede, but now it becomes a Deoxys-S that's less bulky and can't put down hazards. Also lol at Shedinja and Sableye Also, does this make it possible for Shaymin-S to come down from Ubers?

Garchomp is almost completely unaffected, although Rough Skin being lost is a little bit painful. Worth it for the ability to not worry about levitate though- EdgeQuake and BoltBeam are better than before in this meta. Rotom-S new meta! Also Tyranitar is usable on teams that don't have a focus on sand. Another Pokemon that is absolutely unaffected is Zygarde, as it already had a useless ability. Same goes for Keldeo, Entei, Raikou, and Manaphy, to an extent.

Overall? Seems interesting. Should be fun to see it develop.
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 223-264 (57.7 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

yikes, you're right lol. And I hadn't considered Shaymin-Sky yet, let me discuss it with Arcticblast.

Some other things that spring to mind:

-Rotom Formes are now vulnerable to Earthquake.
-Leave Azumarill at home. Water/Fairy is good but not that good.
-Chansey, Blissey and Celebi no longer have Natural Cure, making it much easier to wear them down with Toxic.
-No more Intimidate.

On the whole I think defensive Pokemon are definitely hurt more. Even without things like Technician Bullet Punch or Sheer Force things the limit on defensive abilities is pretty pronounced.

Why would you use Water Pulse on Mega Blastoise? Use Surf or Hydro Pump!

252 Atk Life Orb Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 218-257 (74.9 - 88.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
So, Life Orb Lucario is only a check Archeops if SR is up.

It's suprisingly easy to forget that abilities do not exist in the no-ability metagame.
I had Water Pulse because I forgot to change it when I used the standard mega-blastoise set, I just removed abilities, and forgot to change moves. That also shows how good mega-blastoise is when attacking frail pokemon.

Things that are much worse without their abilities, in order that I think of them; Weather starters, Blaziken, Wobbuffet, Scizor, Espeon, Xatu, Ninjask, Scolipede, Absol-Mega, Gardevoir-Mega, Lucario-Mega, Gliscor, Clefable, Reuniclus, Pinsir-Mega...

Heck, Blaziken is now outclassed by Infernape.
Adding on to this list:

Azumarill, Charizard-Mega X, Chesnaught, Crawdaunt, Dragonite, Diggersby, Dugtrio, Furfrou (LOL), Greninja, Genesect, Jirachi, Kangaskhan-Mega, Klefki, Liepard, Machamp, Magnezone, Mawile-Mega, Medicham, Nidoking/Nidoqueen, Quagsire, Sableye, Slowbro/Slowking, Tangrowth/Tangela, Trevenant, Yanmega

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Adding on to this list:

Azumarill, Charizard-Mega X, Chesnaught, Crawdaunt, Dragonite, Diggersby, Dugtrio, Furfrou (LOL), Greninja, Genesect, Jirachi, Kangaskhan-Mega, Klefki, Liepard, Machamp, Magnezone, Mawile-Mega, Medicham, Nidoking/Nidoqueen, Quagsire, Sableye, Slowbro/Slowking, Tangrowth/Tangela, Trevenant, Yanmega
Ok these lists are mianly correct but I just want to say something: Charizard and Blaziken both have destructive megas that destroy the competition, heck blaziken can now run either SD or agility mega sets or even mixed overheat/HJK/knock off/filler to have great versatillity. I still find infernape to be crap tbh

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
How do you not get swept my Manaphy with no Unaware and pretty much 0 Priority anymore. ._.

Also you can actually run Volcarona now since you don't just get swept by Bisharp now.

How do you not get swept my Manaphy with no Unaware and pretty much 0 Priority anymore. ._.

Also you can actually run Volcarona now since you don't just get swept by Bisharp now.
Manaphy is still beaten by faster Pokemon such as Thundurus and Mega Charizard X (after a DD) and Chansey is only 2HKOed after SR 20% of the time by +6 Surf, and how it will work is this:
Turn 1: Manaphy Tail Glows, Chansey switches in
Turn 2: Manaphy Tail Glows again, Chansey Toxics
Turn 3: Manaphy uses Surf, Chansey uses Wish
Turn 4: Chansey uses Protect
This cycle repeats until Chansey inevitably wins because Manaphy is being worn down by Toxic. It just isn't beat by Unaware Pokemon any more, but a lot of other Pokemon still do beat it.

Ok, here's what will currently begin being suspected:
  • - Shaymin-Sky
  • - Kangaskhanite
  • - Gengarite
  • - Lucarionite
These items may be unbanned through a discussion and a community agreement. Discuss.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree with them being unbanned for now at least, admittedly they still have great stats when they lose their Ability, however they all have some critical flaws. (MegaGar is really frail, MegaMom is not fast enough, MegaLuke is quite frail too (but to a lesser extant), Shaymin Sky also still has great stats, but it can't beat its counters by easy hax anymore.

BTW Genesect is a possible suspect too imo, while not nearly as hurt as those other mons. Download is what made it a great revenge killer and it will lose a lot of power without it.

Got permission from an OM mod a while back to bump this, I don't recall who it was. But, anyways, I've revamped the OP! Here's a fun battle I had recently as well!
link.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Yeah it looks good. Be sure you ban archeops again though, that thing is just a beast (why can't gamefreak give it a better bad ability?)

canno

formerly The Reptile
You should probably add Aegislash to the unbanned list since it can't actually go into Blade Forme because it doesn't have Stance Change anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)