ORAS OU No Mega Balance (Peaked #1)

p2

Banned deucer.
Hey guys, this is my first ever RMT. I made it for the OU No Mega ladder as I wanted to try out a meta without megas and this team was very successful as I managed to top the ladder with a pretty good record of 48-4.

Proof of Peak:

First I started with a core of Chesnaught / Starmie / Talonflame. A Bisharp counter is absolutely necessary in this tier as Bisharp is extremely potent due to the lack of a secondary knock absorber in a mega evolution. Chesnaught also covered the Bisharp and Tyranitar weaknesses for Starmie and Talonflame. Starmie was used over other spinners like Excadrill as it can absorb status and is overall a more reliable spinner.

Next, I needed a win condition, so I added Clefable.

Then I didn't really know what to use here. I was really stuck until someone suggested I used Porygon2. I thought, "why not, it's a great blanket check to a bunch of attackers including ones I have trouble with like KyuB?"

Finally, I needed a Stealth Rock setter and extra Water type check, so I added Ferrothorn.

In-Depth

|
|
|
|
|

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP | 112 Def | 144 Spe
Moves: Leech Seed | Wood Hammer | Drain Punch | Spikes

I started the team off with Chesnaught, Starmie and Talonflame. The main reason I chose Chesnaught was for its ability to handle 2 of the biggest threats in the metagame (Azumarill and Bisharp) and act as a Knock Off absorber for my team. The given EV spread allows Chesnaught to outspeed Adamant Azumarill and OHKO it with Wood Hammer after a small amount of prior damage. Chesnaught also has great utility in Leech Seed and Spikes as the team is based around hazard stacking.

|
|
|
|
|

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Timid
EVs: 248 HP | 8 Def | 252 Spe
Moves: Scald | Psyshock | Rapid Spin | Recover

I chose Defensive Starmie as my spinner, unlike Excadrill, Starmie has reliable recovery and is capable of spreading burns with Scald. Psyshock is needed for Keldeo and Gengar as they can be quite threatening for my team, especially Gengar. It also has good defensive synergy with Chesnaught as Chesnaught handles the biggest threats in Bisharp and Tyranitar for Starmie.

|
|
|
|
|

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
Nature: Careful
EVs: 240 HP | 252 SpD | 16 Spe
Moves: Brave Bird | Will-o-Wisp | Taunt | Roost

Talonflame is the 3rd mon of the team and completes a FWG core with Chesnaught and Starmie. I initially used SD Talonflame, but I've taken a liking to Stallbreaker instead. It gives me a better Gengar check and can stop setup sweepers with either Will-o-Wisp or Taunt, it also helps with Bisharp if it flinches Chesnaught or I let Chesnaught get weakened too much as Talonflame can burn Bisharp and Roost off damage while stopping Swords Dance with Taunt.

|
|
|
|
|

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP | 156 Def | 102 SpD
Moves: Moonblast | Flamethrower | Calm Mind | Soft-Boiled

After the FWG core, I really didn't know what else I wanted to use, but I knew I definitely needed a Stealth Rock setter and a win condition. I chose Clefable which is pretty much the best Pokemon in OU no mega as it functions as a Knock Off absorber while still functioning as one of the most consistent win conditions available. I didn't see any big problems with bulky Steel types like Heatran, so I went with Flamethrower instead of Thunder Wave as my coverage move. Flamethrower deals massive damage to Bisharp and Scizor, which can put a decent amount of pressure on my team, especially if rocks are up. I previously had a spread of 252 HP / 252 Def which allowed Clefable to easily take a Banded Bullet Punch from Scizor and OHKO it, however, I found the utility in checking Thundurus and Kyurem-Black more important. The new EV spread of 252 HP / 156 Def / 102 SpD allows Clefable to survive 2 Icicle Crashes from Life Orb Weavile, which can be quite problematic for my team.

|
|
|
|
|

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP | 252 Def | 8 SpD
Moves: Tri Attack | Ice Beam | Recover | Thunder Wave

Porygon2, my favourite Pokemon. I had 2 Knock Off absorbers and a status absorber and thought why not? It's a very useful blanket check to a bunch of attackers, especially Dragons like Dragonite or Latis. I use Thunder Wave over Toxic because slowing down Pokemon like Bisharp so Clefable can hit it with a Flamethrower is great and it allows for easier setup opportunities. Recover is necessary for longevity, while Tri Attack is STAB and Ice Beam is solid coverage, hitting Dragons. Foul Play over Tri Attack allows Porygon2 to beat SD Talonflame, deal huge damage to Gengar and Victini while deterring physical attackers from setting up. Though I have considered Thunderbolt over Tri Attack to deal decent damage to Talonflame, which is actually quite threatening for my team. Before Landorus was banned, I previously ran Band Azumarill over P2 to make the team less passive and not just die to Lando.

|
|
|
|
|

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP | 168 Def | 88 SpD
Moves: Power Whip | Gyro Ball | Leech Seed | Stealth Rock

I wanted a Stealth Rocker and another check to Gyarados and Azumarill, so I chose Ferrothorn, which breaks Gyarados' Substitutes while shrugging off Earthquakes and Waterfalls. Ferrothorn is pretty unique for this niche as other Stealth Rock users are either weak to Bounce or Earthquake. Power Whip breaks Gyarados' Substitutes, OHKOes Azumarill and gets good damage off onto the occasional Manaphy. The EV spread allows Ferrothorn to survive a Life Orb Focus Blast from Gengar after Stealth Rock and the rest is put into physical defense, so it can handle physical attackers like Bisharp more easily.

Threatlist
: Manaphy is a pretty scary mon for this team, though that's to be expected from Balance, it just needs to be played carefully around. Usually Ferrothorn can handle it, but it loses to HP Fire variants. Thunderbolt on Porygon2 or Thunder Wave or Clefable can help this issue a bit.

: If Bisharp is at +2 and flinches Chesnaught, then it can be pretty difficult to stop. Talonflame can wisp it then you can wear it down with Ferrothorn, but you could lose 2+ mons from this.

: Nasty Plot Thundurus is a big threat aswell, especially if it has Focus Blast to break past Porygon2 and Ferrothorn, just maintaining pressure with hazards is usually the best way to get around Thundurus.

: Gengar is another big threat, especially if Rocks are up. If rocks are down, Talonflame can switch in freely and LO stall it into Brave Bird range and Starmie can OHKO with Psyshock if needed.

: Other Talonflames are big threats aswell, it's not much different from Thundurus - keep pressure on it with hazards.

: Band Victini is another really big threat as it can pretty much OHKO the entire team bar P2. Porygon2 can Twave and soak up a couple of hits if needed and Starmie can take V-Creates though it's very risky sending Starmie in on Victini. Using Band Azumarill over Porygon2 did help with this issue aswell as Landorus before it was banned.

Don't have a lot of replays since I never save them, but here's one against HeatranLava who was previously #1 on the ladder, though its a pretty haxy game.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ounomega-231121187

Importable
Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Spikes

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Taunt

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

• Changed Clefable's EV spread to 252 HP / 156 Def / 102 SpD with a Bold nature
  • Changed Tri Attack to Foul Play on Porygon2

Last edited:
Yo, real cool team. I've never played OU No Mega, but I could really see this team being effective. Anyways, since this team already proved itself, this rate obviously won't have many changes but just some small nitpicks.
I'd change Clefable's spread to a more physically defensive 252 HP / 156 Def / 102 SpD, Bold spread. I see this team has a small issue with Weavile, so using this spread over your old one could help you with it, because after they Knock Off your Leftovers with Weavile, you'll never get 2HKOd by Weavile by Icicle Crash.
As cool as Tri Attack Porygon2 is, I'd say you should replace Tri Attack either for Foul Play or Thunderbolt on Porygon2. Foul Play and Thunderbolt both help with Swords Dance Talonflame (which sort of does a number on your team), while Foul Play can also help against Victini and Gengar while Thunderbolt can help with Dragon Dance Gyarados and Manaphy also.
Correct me if I'm wrong (don't be too suprised if I am), but I'm not seeing much reason to run Gyro Ball>Knock Off on Ferrothorn in OU No Mega. Gyro Ball is mostly good in OU since it deals with DD Mega Altaria, but with that gone, that slot is really just a filler. Knock Off helps your team with Heatran also, which also walls a good portion of your team. Knocking Off its item can really help you wear this thing down easier, and also lets Clefable and get past the Stallbreaking set that it usually runs.
Anyways, like I said before, cool team. This team already seems like it has achieved everything it was supposed to, so if you aren't feeling the changes, I feel you.

Last edited:
Reactions: p2

p2

Banned deucer.
Yo, real cool team. I've never played OU No Mega, but I could really see this team being effective. Anyways, since this team already proved itself, this rate obviously won't have many changes but just some small nitpicks.
I'd change Clefable's spread to a more physically defensive 252 HP / 156 Def / 102 SpD, Bold spread. I see this team has a small issue with Weavile, so using this spread over your old one could help you with it, because after they Knock Off your Leftovers with Weavile, you'll never get 2HKOd by Weavile by Icicle Crash.
As cool as Tri Attack Porygon2 is, I'd say you should replace Tri Attack either for Foul Play or Thunderbolt on Porygon2. Foul Play and Thunderbolt both help with Swords Dance Talonflame (which sort of does a number on your team), while Foul Play can also help against Victini and Gengar while Thunderbolt can help with Dragon Dance Gyarados and Manaphy also.
Correct me if I'm wrong (don't be too suprised if I am), but I'm not seeing much reason to run Gyro Ball>Knock Off on Ferrothorn in OU No Mega. Gyro Ball is mostly good in OU since it deals with DD Mega Altaria, but with that gone, that slot is really just a filler. Knock Off helps your team with Heatran also, which also walls a good portion of your team. Knocking Off its item can really help you wear this thing down easier, and also lets Clefable and get past the Stallbreaking set that it usually runs.
Anyways, like I said before, cool team. This team already seems like it has achieved everything it was supposed to, so if you aren't feeling the changes, I feel you.
I agree with most of these changes apart from replacing Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn. I'm just not too sold on replacing it as it's a really solid move. Though it's something I'll need to test for a while before I make up my mind, because I rarely found myself using that much, but it proved to be really useful in picking off very weakened Pokemon without having to deal with Power Whips unreliable accuracy, plus it's pretty useful against Clefables that just click Twave as you can deal huge damage and force it out. I'm also thinking about Thunder Wave there as well as I can cripple its common switchins in Heatran or other Chesnaughts. I just need to test different options and see which one fits best.
Either way, thanks for the rate man

p2

Banned deucer.
I've got a suggestion for three of your problems..

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Moonlight
  • I don't see a problem with Weavile actually. It's Icicle Crash only has a 2% Chance to 2HKO as proved in the calc below. Unaware will solve your Manaphy and Thundurus problem as they both fail to 2HKO Clefable and their boosts are negated. It also checks SD Talonflame as well as Brave Bird only has little over a 4% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 179-212 (45.5 - 53.9%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
What I don't like about Unaware Clefable is that it really makes Clefable more shaky as a win con. Not only does it lose its immunity to hazard damage, it also loses its immunity to status damage and is ruined by Toxic and Burns. Moonlight gets screwed by the amount of Rain and Sand teams which have become a lot more viable with no megas, while dropping Flamethrower for WishTect causes me to lose out on Bisharp and Scizor, both pretty big threats to the team. Like, I suppose I could replace Porygon2 since its arguably the weakest part of my team, but I'd say it's actually really useful against KyuB and Manaphy. It walls KyuB easily and can shrug off a hit or two from Manaphy and cripple it. If Manaphy is Rain Dance, then Ferrothorn handles it decently as nobody runs RD + HP Fire.

Any reason why you're running Trace over Download on Porygon2? Not that Trace is a bad ability by any means, but unless you're trying to achieve something specific with it I'd imagine that Download is the less situational and more consistent of the two abilities.

Soft boiled over moonlight if you plan on running unaware clefable since moonlight only restore 1/4 in sand and rain conditions.

Hey there,
I really like your team and I feel like, I should not change anything, because the Porygon2 makes it really unique and solid, but to fix your weaknesses, you should use a Scarf Tyranitar to have a little speed control in your team and you can make sure to beat all of your weaks. If Tyranitar gets paralyzed by Thundurus it does not really matter, because you can Heal bell with Clefable. Of course you have not Heal Bell on Clefable yet, but to fix your small Manaphy weak I would give CM Unaware Clefable a try. It functions as a wincondition and stallbreaker and really improves your team. Like I said, there is not much to improve, because the team is really solid at all I hope I was able to help you.

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell

p2

Banned deucer.
Hey there,
I really like your team and I feel like, I should not change anything, because the Porygon2 makes it really unique and solid, but to fix your weaknesses, you should use a Scarf Tyranitar to have a little speed control in your team and you can make sure to beat all of your weaks. If Tyranitar gets paralyzed by Thundurus it does not really matter, because you can Heal bell with Clefable. Of course you have not Heal Bell on Clefable yet, but to fix your small Manaphy weak I would give CM Unaware Clefable a try. It functions as a wincondition and stallbreaker and really improves your team. Like I said, there is not much to improve, because the team is really solid at all I hope I was able to help you.

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
Just wondering, what do you think I should replace for ScarfTar? I do like the idea of ScarfTar+Heal Bell support, but the only thing is that it really hurts Clefable as Unaware is incompatible with SoftBoiled - meaning I need to use WishTect or Moonlight, the former meaning I lose out on Calm Mind and the latter meaning Moonlight recovery is significantly reduced during sand.
I'm definitely gonna give Unaware CM Clefable a try though, thanks for the rate!

Oh I meant Moonlight. You replace Porygon2 for Tyranitar, I feel sad about that decision, but the other teammembers are way more important. Tyranitar should use the other ability and not Sand Stream, because of Moonlight Clefable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)