No Quarter (Peaked #62)

No Quarter
A Sand Hyper Offense RMT by Deuce

"Walking side by side with death,
The devil mocks their every step."

Introduction:

I had been playing and laddering with my rain team for a while, and I felt like a change. It wasn't that the team was bad, I had more success with it than any other team that I've played with. However, it was pretty standard, and playing with it repeatedly began to get stale. Though I normally didn't have trouble facing Deo-D teams, it seemed like a fun, fast-paced play style that I would enjoy. Before I began to make the team, I thought of my experiences battling against Deo-D Hyper Offense. My rain team didn't have any problems preventing the opponent's entry hazards from getting onto the field. While I was playing with Gamester's sun team, I could usually set up with Volcarona in something's face and sweep after picking a few things off with Venusaur. I concluded that the primary problem that had to be dealt with when making a team with Deoxys would be fast weather abusers. What better way to deal with this problem than abusing this weather yourself? After a bit of theorizing and testing, I ended up with this team. I'll admit that perhaps I haven't tested it as much as I should, but I have had a great deal of success and fun playing with this team, eventually peaking at #62 on PS on my character TestCheck123.

The Peak:

"They're wearing steel that's bright and true,
They carry news that must get through."

The Teambuilding Process:

I was going to make a team with Deoxys-Defense. The first requirement that needed to be met was to have Deoxys-Defense on the team.

The next thing that popped into my mind was to add weather to the team. Any rain or sun abusers that might walk all over your run-of-the-mill Hyper Offense team will be essentially neutralized just with the presence of this Pokemon. He also had Stealth Rock, which freed up a moveslot on Deoxys.

I noticed that I had a bit of a bug weakness, which is no good with all of the Genesects running around nowadays. I also wanted something that would rip through walls and could abuse sand at the same time. Terrakion met all of those requirements.

I now had a pretty big weakness to Fighting. I needed a spinblocker, too. Gengar fulfilled both of these roles, while also being able to beat spinners 1v1 and mess with stall teams even more. He gave me some special attacking options with unresisted coverage, too, which were really appreciated.

My team didn't have any scarfers. However, I also needed a boosting sweeper. Scizor had great synergy with the team, Swords Dance, and Technician priority. I put him on the team.

Seeing as Deo-D could be used to get at least one set-up move up, T-tar was slow and could be used as setup fodder for certain Pokemon, Terrakion could get set up against when locked into a wrong move, and Scizor could be scared out with the threat of a Fire move while the opponent used a set-up move, the team looked somewhat weak to fast set-up sweepers when they were played smartly. Ditto was the ultimate revenge killer, using the other person's boosts against them and often sweeping entire teams. The main drawback with using Ditto is that he is worthless against stall teams. However, the other five Pokemon in the team laugh at stall attempts anyways, so Ditto was the perfect fit.

Thanks to the suggestions of Princess Bri, I replaced Ditto with Latios. This alleviated a weakness to both water and Keldeo/Breloom.

"They choose the path where no one goes.

They hold no quarter."

The team in detail:

Deoxys-D@Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Speed
-Spikes
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-Magic Coat

What Deo-D team could come into being without the mutant space alien himself? This thing is my lead 99% of the time. I can get spikes/SR up and taunt other hazard users. I can Magic Coat Sableye's taunts and I guess Froslass's spikes if someone uses it. Genesect leads are a little tricky to deal with, as a +1 Bug Buzz can OHKO. I'm thinking of changing the 4 Defense EVs to Special Defense so it will go for the U-turn more often than not. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, they turned out to work a lot better. Deoxys stole rocks from T-tar, and it's working a lot better. Magic Coat has also come in handy a number of times.

Terrakion@Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-X-Scizor
-Quick Attack

I notice that you have noticed that this is not the Jolly old Terrakion that most of you have become familiar with. I opted for Adamant because other Terrakions (as well as the other Musketeers), while being somewhat of an annoyance, can be played around. Terrakion's jobs are to get a kill whenever he comes in, no exceptions, and to tear stall teams to shreds. He excels at doing that. Even Skarmory gets 2HKO'd by CC after some prior damage. I went for Quick Attack over Sacred Sword because Terrakion will often times be switching out after one CC anyways. Despite the fact that I have yet to run into a situation where it mattered, I'm still considering using Jolly.​

Tyranitar@Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP/64 SpAtk/192 SpDef
-Pursuit
-Crunch
-Fire Blast
-Ice Beam

Next up is Tyranitar. Tyranitar is a jack of all trades, master of none. It can set up SR, hit on the physical side with Crunch, trap Ghosts/Psychics with Pursuit, nail Dragons with Ice Beam, and smack the various 4x weak Pokemon with Fire Blast. Sand Stream gets rid of rain and sun, which would otherwise be somewhat problematic for this team. Thank you for the advice on T-tar, specifically to Princess Bri this time. ScarfTar wasn't bad, but I didn't appreciate having three Choiced mons on the team. This set still lets me Pursuit trap things while maintaining my ability to eliminate T-tar's usual counters.

Gengar@Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Speed
-Substitute
-Disable
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

Gengar fulfills a vital role in this team as spinblocker. I opted for SubDisable over SubSplit (even in the sand) because it lets me beat stuff like Forretress 1v1, as well as troll stall teams. Besides these things, Gengar functions as my only specially offensive presence on the team. Shadow Ball and Focus *cough Miss cough* Blast get unresisted coverage, which is cool. After entry hazards damage, this guy is able to 2HKO and 1HKO a lot of slower things in the metagame. He often nets me a key KO or two every game.​

Scizor@Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 192 HP/252 Atk/64 Speed
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite/Brick Break
-Roost

Scizor is my mandatory booster. He's bulky, has a ton of awesome resistances with only one weakness, and forces a lot of switches. This makes him a perfect candidate for the use of Swords Dance. Bullet Punch is obvious, as after entry hazard damage, STAB, a Technician boost, and an SD, it is capable of OHKOing basically everything in the metagame that doesn't resist it. Roost allows it to stay alive after taking some hits, and Scizor is so slow that a second coverage move would be unnecessary. Speaking of coverage moves, that moveslot is a tossup. Brick Break is good for some super-effective coverage on the predicted switch, while Bug Bite is good for things like Slowbro. It seems that whenever I need Bug Bite, I'm using Brick Break, and vice versa. This set is great for busting through stall teams and revenging fast threats alike.​

Latios@Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Speed
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-HP Fire
-Trick

Thanks to Princess Bri for suggesting this. Ditto was really good at what he did. However, he left my team wide open in certain situations. Scarf Latios fixes that problem. Latios can revenge kill almost as well as Ditto, and he also patches up the water weakness that my team had. He also alleviates my weakness to certain fighting Pokemon such as Conkeldurr, Keldeo, and Breloom. Overall, this has been a worthwhile trade off.

"They hold no quarter.

They ask no quarter."

Conclusion:

I've had a lot of success and fun playing with this team, and I hope that maybe some other people can play with it and experience that same thing. However, I feel that there are still things that can be improved about it, and that's why I'm posting it here.​

A Final Look:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi

Nice team you've got there, we don't have enough Ditto abuse teams :d. There isn't much to add since a self sufficient team, but yeah you should follow up on your hunch and run SR & Spikes on Deoxys-D. You get rocks up much quicker that way, which means your team as a whole is harder to deal with from the get go, and you don't have to worry about relying on Tyranitar to use SR (in some cases, you might not get the chance). Balanced Tyranitar is good, but again I think you're honestly better off following your instincts and use a more offensive set. offensive set. Scarf seems like good choice, since the speed is much appreciated and it's an auxiliary check to threats like Latios, Latias, Thundurus-T and the like. Also consider Choice Band is you just want to go ape bananas and SMASH things.

This suggestion might sound controversial, but consider running Jolly max speed Scizor. Not only does this spread guarantee that you outspeed almost every single variant of "defensive/support" Rotom-W (the ones that run 128 speed in particular) but you also get the jump on adamant max speed Breloom, which could save you in a blue moon (if Gengar goes down or ditto is weakened, then breloom is a huge dick to your team.) I want to be clear that this is a minor recommendation, not an outright suggestion.

hope I helped :)

Hello! Deoxys-D Hyper Offense teams are always cool, so I decided to rate it.

First of all, I see a massive weakness to water attacks in general. A Keldeo can just spam Surf and everything dies. It can just switch out from Ditto, and well, yah. ScarfToed is on the same boat, along with other common Rain-pokes. Without attempt to hurt the offensive-synergy of the team, I recommend trying out a Latios instead of your Ditto. Ditto provides no offensive synergy for the team, as it just transforms into whatever the opponent has, and as you stated-- it's deadweight versus stall. Latios is a cool Pokemon to have on your team as it gives you a water resistance, can revenge kill well, and give you a good check to common fighting-types like Keldeo, Breloom, and Conkeldurr which you currently lack; therefore, making Latios a perfect fit on your team. A scarf varient of Latios seems to fit the bill. A few nitpicks I would like to make are taking Stealth Rock off Tyranitar and on to Deoxys-D. On an offensive team like this, Deoxys-D should just start spamming hazards turn 1 and Recover takes away from your momentum. I would also recommend putting a Rocky Helmet and Magic Coat on your Deoxys-D so you break Dragonite's Multiscale and spinners just can't spam Spin until Deoxys runs out of PP or dies, since it takes damage from Rocky Helmet. Magic Coat lets you beat faster Taunters, opposing Deoxys-D, and Sableye. Additionally, since you're taking off Rocks from Tyranitar I recommend Pursuit on Tyranitar to trap pesky Ghost-types and Psychic-types like Gengar, Latios, Alakazam, etc which stop Terrakion from spamming Close Combat. Cool team! Here are the sets:

Deoxys-D @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Taunt

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpAtk / 252 Spd
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Fire]

gl, tyranitar's the coolest so he gets a gif.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Cool team you got here.

First off I highly suggest changing up Deoxys-D's movest a little, with Stealth Rock over Recover. Dexoys makes an amazing suicide lead, and allows you to set up maximum hazards in a short amount of time.

Now it's quite obvious you have no water resist, so stuff like LO Starmie and Rotom-W can destroy you. You have nothing really to take a Hydro Pump or Surf from either. Both of these guys also can recover some health through either Pain Split or Recover, which makes them harder to take down. Scarf Politoed can straight up destroy you, as even under Sand Scizor isn't going to want to take a hard hit. The most replacable members are Tyranitar and Ditto. I think You should try Calm Mind Latias in the place of Tyranitar as you can easily break through the Volturn Core and now have a strong water resist to absorb Hydro Pumps and Surfs.

Latias @ Leftovers | Levitate
252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Recover

Good luck!

Hello Mr. Classic Rock guy,

This is my dad's favorite Zeppelin song, for what it's worth.

For Deoxys-D, the above users suggestions have covered great ways to check spinners. Another route that you may want to test, as per your fear of Bug Buzz OHKOing Deoxys-D, is a Tanga Berry. Still, Rocky Helmet is still a more utilitarian item.

You may also want to consider a Lum Berry on Scizor. With every Water type and their mother spamming Scald, errant burns are frequent and shut Scizor down. You still have roost for recovery.

More of an echo of previous raters, but yeah if you aren't gonna switch Tyranitar out for Latias, make sure that mofo is fast enough to outspeed opposing base 110's. Scarf it up, son, and put Pursuit over SR.

I also think Ditto is pretty cool, and he gives a great way to turn your opponents momentum into your own. I just did a damage calc, and Ditto can actually revenge kill a Tornadus-T after SR and one LO recoil with Hurricane, so that's pretty useful.

Always a pleasure to read your RMTs.

Hi Deuce!

Solid team. Nice to see someone else taking the offensive sand route :D

I have to agree with what everyone else is saying about SR on Deoxys-D - freeing up a slot for Tyranitar is amazing, and it will allow you to run Pursuit / Stone edge on your current set.

However, since your Scizor doesn't carry pursuit, it looks like your team may have trouble with SubDisable Gengar. It Shadowballs Deo-D, Sub-Disables your choiced attackers, Focus Blasts T-tar to hell and back or safely gets out (lack of pursuit :c) and can Disable your Scizor's bullet punch, which will mean Scizor will have trouble hurting him since he quad-resists Bug Bite and is immune to Brick Break.

Echoing what PK Gaming said, I strongly suggest Scarf Tyranitar over your current one. The added speed and damage allow it to trap targets such as Latios/as, Starmie and Gengar with little trouble, and KO them with a Pursuit before they can faint him. I don't really recommend Band T-tar, seeing as you already have Band Terrakion, and popping a scarf on the afro-less afrobull would make his role overlap with Ditto.

@

4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
~ Crunch
~ Pursuit
~ Stone Edge
~ Superpower / Low Kick

LK can be used over Superpower, since it gets the same 120 BP on other Tyranitars while getting 100 on Heatran and other important targets, but since T-tar is most likely dishing a hit and getting out, the stat drops aren't that big of a deal.

If you want to use Banded T-tar instead, try to have at least 112 Spe EVs to outspeed non-spe investment Politoeds and Skarmory, so you can 2HKO them if they switch into you.

Thanks for the rates guys, I've implemented the changes I made to the team in the OP. The team has been working really well, but I'm still open to any more rates.

Thanks for catching that one, the page got a little scrambled when it got unlocked, most likely because of the stupid laptop I was using at the time. I've changed the EVs to what they actually are. Also, I updated this with a ladder peak, so bump (kind've).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)