1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

no rupaulogies

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Hollywood, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Hollywood

Hollywood ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ Chugga Chugga! ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Other Metas Leader

[​IMG]

required listening, nsfw

[​IMG]
    Hi, I'm Treecko, and I play NU. Sometimes, I try out other tiers and see how I like them. For some reason, I can't play RU for shit, Ubers has too many scary Pokemon :cry:, LC is packed with cutemons but the top threats aren't cute, and OU is, well, OU. So I built this team a while back in hopes of testing out UU to see how well I'd like it, and it's actually really refreshing. The premise of this team is pretty much just "shit that hits hard." I wanted to build around Togekiss and Victini because I knew that Victini was pretty effective at taking out most Rhyperior checks with its Fire STAB and Grass Knot coverage, and I pretty much just went from there. Sometimes I flinch things to death with Togekiss, but I never RuPaulogize because that's the whole point of using Togekiss.

[​IMG]

Show Hide
    Like I said in the intro, the premise was to build around Victini and Togekiss, so I was left needing something to take on Electric-types that neither of them do too well against. At that point, I tossed on Rhyperior for Rocks and an Electric check. After adding Rhyperior, I thought about some kind of status absorber because I knew that I was going to want to run Thunder Wave on Togekiss. Figured CB Guts Heracross was cool, right? Then rain stood out as an enormous threat to me, so I tossed on a Ferroseed to handle Kingdra and most rain threats and tack on Spikes support. From there, I saw a massive Fighting weakness that I needed to do something about, so I tossed on an OTR Cofag and called it a day.

Expert Belt Victini / Bulky Nasty Plot Togekiss / SpDef Rhyperior / CB Guts Heracross / Ferroseed / OTR Cofag

Tried out the team, and it was pretty bad lol. I mean, it did fine, but Ferroseed was pretty much dead weight outside of checking Water-types, and Chandelure was a pretty big problem for my team, so I decided to replace it with offensive Leftovers Snorlax to keep a nice Kingdra/rain check and actually have some offensive presence in that slot.

Expert Belt Victini / Bulky Nasty Plot Togekiss / SpDef Rhyperior / CB Guts Heracross / Offensive Leftovers Snorlax / OTR Cofag

And then Cofag wasn't really pulling its weight at all. On top of that, I was disgustingly weak to SD Weavile, which didn't want to set up on anything but still could on forced switches. To handle the issue with SD Weavile, I went ahead and switched Heracross to Guts Scarf; I still needed a good status absorber, but I also needed more Speed on the team. But Heracross still didn't like to switch into Scalds and shit, and all around I was struggling with bulky Water-types. I decided at that point to swap out OTR Cofag for offensive Roserade to patch up these issues (and because it's such a cool mon).

Expert Belt Victini / Bulky Nasty Plot Togekiss / SpDef Rhyperior / Scarf Guts Heracross / Offensive Leftovers Snorlax / LO Roserade

[​IMG]
    importable (open)

Togekiss @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 44 Spd / 248 HP / 216 Def
    Bold Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Air Slash
    - Nasty Plot
    - Roost
    - Baton Pass

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
    Trait: Solid Rock
    EVs: 248 HP / 244 SDef / 16 Atk
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Blast
    - Dragon Tail

Victini @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Victory Star
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Blue Flare
    - Focus Blast
    - Grass Knot
    - Psychic

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Megahorn
    - Stone Edge
    - Sleep Talk

Roserade @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SDef / 252 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Sleep Powder
    - Synthesis

Snorlax @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 Atk / 56 Def / 192 SDef / 8 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Body Slam
    - Earthquake
    - Pursuit
    - Fire Punch

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Delta (Togekiss) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Air Slash
    - Roost
    - Nasty Plot
    - Baton Pass

I think what's so cool to me about Togekiss is how it plays as a wall and a sweeper, sort of a la Musharna in NU. Togekiss serves as a win condition, particularly against bulkier teams that have trouble outspeeding it or breaking through it. It's also really the only member of my team that doesn't mind switching into most Fighting-types. Outside of serving as a win condition against defensive teams, Togekiss can pass its Nasty Plot boosts off to Victini or Roserade later on in the match to allow them to clean up against things it can't beat (Bronzong, Rhyperior, Registeel, etc).

[​IMG]

Willam (Victini) @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Victory Star
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Blue Flare
    - Psychic
    - Grass Knot
    - Focus Blast

Victini is my kind of ridiculous wallbreaker that just, well, kills shit. On top of its ability to fuck up Rhyperior and Steel-types for Togekiss to have an easier time later on in the match, Victini can also often lure in and take out opposing Rhyperior and Swampert before they get the chance to set Stealth Rock, helping itself and Togekiss later on in the match. Victini is also my offensive check to most Fighting-types. While it doesn't want to switch into much from UU's Fighting-types, it can pretty much always tank a hit from any faster Fighting-type and OHKO it or outspeed and OHKO the things that could take it out in one shot.

[​IMG]

Latrice (Rhyperior) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Solid Rock
    EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rock Blast
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Tail

With Victini covering the Steel- and Rock-types that like to wall Togekiss, I still needed an answer to Electric-type Pokemon, and Rhyperior fit the bill for this. Rhyperior is such a solid glue-mon in UU, as it checks so much defensively and threatens so much offensively with its great STABs. There's really not much to say about Rhyperior even though it does so much in one slot—sets Stealth Rock, phazes, takes most Electric-, Fire-, Flying-, and Normal-types, hits hard, looks badass while doing it all.

[​IMG]

Sharon (Heracross) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Guts
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Megahorn
    - Stone Edge
    - Sleep Talk

I used to dabble in UU before I got active on Smogon, and I remember always finding MoxieScarf Heracross to be really, really underwhelming. To my surprise, Guts Scarf Heracross is really cool. Heracross serves as my other offensive check to Fighting-types with its resistance to Close Combat/Hi Jump Kick and its great Speed with Choice Scarf equipped. It's also a nice status absorber for me, with Sleep Talk to cover even random Sleep Powders and Spores from shit like Amoonguss and Roserade. I considered Scarf Mienshao in this slot, but I really, really wanted everything on my team to be able to take a hit or two in a pinch. Heracross gives me that, and Mienshao, well, doesn't.

[​IMG]

Delta (Snorlax) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Thick Fat
    252 Atk / 56 Def / 192 SpD / 8 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Body Slam
    - Earthquake
    - Pursuit
    - Fire Punch

Snorlax was added to the team, ironically, mostly as a Kingdra check. My old team setup either got walked all over by Rain Dance Kingdra or carried Ferroseed which was pretty much dead weight otherwise. Snorlax gave me a more offensive check to Kingdra that could also take on most Ghost-types and serve as a backup against Electric-types that happened to carry HP Grass for Rhyperior. Body Slam also gave me another form of paralysis support for Togekiss. I've considered running Whirlwind over Fire Punch to give me a last ditch effort against SubCM Raikou and such, but I ultimately decided Fire Punch was more valuable for added coverage against hail.

[​IMG]

Manila (Roserade) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Sleep Powder
    - Leaf Storm
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Synthesis

Roserade was the latest addition to the team, and while I knew I loved this set, I didn't know how it'd work on this team. But honestly, Roserade is so fucking good lol. Roserade gave me a really nice switch into the bulky Water-types that would otherwise give this team trouble, and it acts as a backup status absorber with Natural Cure. The best part is that it doesn't care about Scald burns, so uh, fuck Water-types tbh. People have asked me why I run Synthesis over Rest, and it's basically because the only times I heal up are against Pokemon that can't touch me and ones I put to sleep. In those scenarios, I like to be able to stay in. I also usually spam Sludge Bomb early game anyways.

[​IMG]
    That's my team. :) It was probably easy to tell the biggest threat to my team by the amount I mentioned them throughout the RMT: Fighting-types suck for me. But with three semi-checks, they usually aren't actually that big of a problem. Still, if you have any advice for me on how to fix that weakness without changing too much of the team, I'm all for it! A well-played Azumarill also gives me a lot of problems, but thankfully I have reason to believe there aren't many well-played Azumarills out there. Finally, Cinccino is a butt, but I can usually play around it with Togekiss. I encourage you all to try out this team for yourselves and see if you can find any ways to improve it. I'm sure it's not perfect, but considering my relative(ly overwhelming) lack of experience in the tier, I'm proud of it. Remember when playing with it that hax is part of the game—no rupaulogies—and that Bunnelby is the cutest XY mon. Shoutouts to RuPaul, #penis, and Jesus for believing in me!!!!
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  2. GULLY

GULLY

I like the idea of using victini and toge as partners... The biggest issue I see with you team is that you don't have a good enough way to stop fightings, especially when Mienshao is the most used poke in the tier(its the biggest threat to your team right now). That being said you should switch Golurk for Rhyperior, you already have a good check to electrics with Rose and Lax so putting Rhyperior on your team just to check seems unneeded. This change would make you weaker to Crobat, but Defensive Togekiss is a more realistic check to that than it is to Mienshao.
    Show Hide

Golurk @ Leftovers
    Trait: No Guard
    EVs: 100 Atk / 200 HP / 160 Def / 48 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - DynamicPunch
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge

Also I suggest you make your Snorlax Protect 3 attacks by just switching Fire Punch for Protect, Scouting>Hurting steels for barely anything, you already have Hera and Victini. I hope you consider these changes, also check my own RMT, its very strong.
  3. Hollywood

is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Other Metas Leader

I thought about Protect on Snorlax as well. It gives me a last-ditch effort against Mienshao, particularly the Scarf set, along with a way of scouting Choice-locked mons in general. I'm testing Whirlwind in that slot right now, but I'll try out Protect as well. As for Golurk, it's a really interesting idea, but I'm not happy with how weak it makes me to Flying-types in general. Swellow is actually a really big threat to my team too, and my only decent check to it without Rhyperior would be Togekiss. Still, Golurk might work really well in that slot, so I'll test it out in case I can't find anything else to go there.
  4. Lovelace

Lovelace

Swellow is really uncommon in the tier but fighting types are the number one type of threat a UU player should prepare for. I think Golurk or Nidoqueen would be a solid choice over Rhyperior, but keeping Rhy is also a solid decision as you need it to check physical fire types such as Victini, Arcanine and Darmanitan. The last intrusive change to your team i can think of would be Roserade -> physically defensive Amoongus. Life Orb is also usable if you feel you really need the offensive presence though it would be a lot harder to play with.
  5. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Cute RMT, Treecko :toast: Cool team.

I am personally not a fan of Snorlax that isn't CB or Rest Talk. CB packs a lot of nuking power, whereas RestTalk lax serves as a highly dependable glue that can take multiple special abuse and isn't worn down fast or crippled by status. To me your non-CB all-out attacker set does a mediocre job at both. Perhaps it works for you, but from my experience with a similar bulky offense team with Snorlax, I'd recommend at least giving Rest Talk Snorlax a try if you haven't.
    Rest Talk Snorlax (open)
    [​IMG] Snorlax @ Leftovers | Thick Fat
    Careful | 252 HP / 32 Def / 216 SpD / 8 Spe
    ~ Body Slam
    ~ Whirlwind
    ~ Rest
    ~ Sleep Talk

As for your Fighting-type weakness, you can possibly swap Scarf Heracross for Qwilfish. This pufferfish will provide you with a solid answer to Fighting checks, much unlike your current shaky checks that cannot reliably switch into Mienshao's HJK. What more, Qwilfish can provide you with a decent check against Weavile, too. Spikes support also facilitates your team's offensive players. Blastoise can spin easily enough, but then that's a free Roserade switch-in. Alternatively you can use Explosion if you want to prevent Blastoise spinning, but then you lose your defense against Fighting-types. Qwilfish's Intimidate comes in handy in many places, and it's another Pokemon that can spread paralysis. Between Qwilfish, Snorlax, and Rhyperior, and you have a solid defensive core. Losing Scarf Heracross for Qwilfish makes your team more vulnerable to NP Azelf / Mew, but I believe your team can play around them with Snorlax, Victini, and Togekiss.
    Qwilfish (open)
    [​IMG] Qwilfish @ Leftovers | Intimidate
    Impish | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    ~ Waterfall
    ~ Spikes
    ~ Thunder Wave / Haze
    ~ Pain Split / Explosion / Taunt
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  6. Hollywood

Other Metas Leader

Oh god RestTalk Snorlax is awful. CB is worth trying. As a personal preference, I just like having the liberty of being able to change up moves unless the attacker has a really spam-able STAB, U-turn, or Volt Switch. Snorlax really doesn't have that, but I'll test it and see how it goes.

Qwilfish is a really cool idea that I'll try out, but I'm not sure if I like it over Heracross. Although I agree that it's pretty much the most expendable member of my team, I just really like the comfort of having it there in case I need to revenge something that's gotten out of hand. I'll toy around with the team and Qwilfish and see if I can figure out something that works best for me.

Swellow was just an example of an offensive Flying-type that could pretty easily walk through my team without Rhyperior around. I realize that it's not that common—though I've seen a ton around the middle of the ladder fsr. You can pretty much insert about any offensive Flying-type there, and no Rhyperior makes me significantly weaker to it.

Amoonguss over Roserade would pretty much only give me a more reliable Fighting-resistance, and I really like the idea of Qwilfish over the idea of Amoonguss.

Thanks guys. :) You've given me a lot to consider.
  7. ApplepieFTW

ApplepieFTW

Mix Victini is amazing. But it could be a lot better.

Victini @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Victory Star
    EVs: 138 SAtk / 252 Spd / 118 Atk
    Hasty Nature
    - V-create
    - Bolt Strike
    - Grass Knot
    - Glaciate

The ev's cause Grass Knot to always be a 1hko on Rhyperior and Swampert, 2 things that (especially the former) like switching into Victini. Glaciate is for taking care of Gligar wich can easily switch into scarf Victini. V-Create and Bolt Strike for the physical part and to make it look like it is a standard band/scarf.

-ApplepieFTW
  8. Moose V

Moose V

The trouble with this set as that an experienced player (or one with a damage calc) will immediately know victini's mixed based on the lackluster damage output of V-create/Bolt Strike

I actually don't see expert belt doing a lot for the current Victini set, since revealing blue flare, focus blast or psychic should immediately give your opponent an indication that you probably aren't choice-locked.

I'd change Blue flare to V-create, Expert Belt to Life Orb and Timid to Naive. This thing absolutely tears shit apart and it's definitely at least worth trying out.
  9. Metal Sonic

Metal Sonic Turn it up!
    is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Hey Treecko!

This team is decent; I like it. Your RMT design is also quite nice, and I'd love to know where you got the font for the titles "The team =)", "introduction", etc, and how you made the banner!

On to the serious aspects, your team is really weak to Mienshao. Scarf HJK 2HKOs all of your team lol. Its ability to switch in-and-out is also very troublesome. It also can spam freely and switch out easily due to no Ghost type on your team. I have a solution.

Victini -> Chandelure.

Okay, so Chandelure might be slower. It doesn't have the surprise factor that Victini brings. But it brings 2 main points: Heracross counter(and Fightingspam stopper in general), and it hits harder. It doesn't lose momentum: Chandelure is just as offensive as Victini is. It hits just as hard, has similarly outstanding coverage, albeit lesser speed, but superior resistances. Shadow Ball is helpful for busting random ScarfPhysical Tinis, and Cofagrigus, etc. Better coverage than Psychic.

The main problem with your team is that it's easily cleaned. Yeah, in general it's solid, with checks to multiple threats in the metagame, but once everything on your team is weakened, stuff like Darmanitan(once Rhyperior is dead), Mienshao, Heracross, Zapdos(with Snorlax), etc are goners.

Honestly; I'd suggest a different scarfer instead of Heracross, but doing so will compromise the integrity of your team. The best I can come up with is Zapdos, which may be weird, but it can take care of all the threats that plague your team perfectly. Snorlax can then act as your Sleep Absorber(Or Roserade).

Hope I helped! The team is decent A-level UU team!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)