ORAS OU No Salt Plz (~1600)

Hey guys Iconic here with another RMT! This one is a change of pace from the other HO teams that I've made and had decent success with. I decided to go back to my natural balanced playstyle, but I didn't have any teams that I enjoyed using, thus this team was born. It features a fairly standard Venutran core but has an unexpected third member in it's mix. Without any more blabbering, let's get into the team!

I started with a standard venutran core because I have had success and fun with it in XY.

Then I added a gastrodon because I bekieve it's fairly underrated and it provides a solid answer to Mega-Metagross which shreks Venutran.

I then needed something that could help alleviate stall and just a fairy type in general so naturally CM clefable was added.

My team lacked any real offensive presence and needed a true sweeper so I added a dnite+starmie combo to give it just that.

In Depth:

Mega Venusaur has long been one of my favorite megas due to it's bulky offensive presence. With fantastic bulk and a great typing it is a mon that many teams seem to have a problem with this gen. Since latios isn't splashed onto every team any more it is way scarier in this meta. It notably beats azumarill, rotom, ferrothorn, scizor (because I have hp fire), keldeo and really any other fairy type in the game. it also provides an answer to bulky water types which can be problematic for many teams i.e slowbro and quag. Overall it is a great pivot and the heart and soul of this balanced and many other balanced teams.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

Heatran:

Here is venusaur's jelly. They cover every one of each others weaknesses and have been the heart of balance for a long time. Heatran provides many roles on my team starting with my rock setter, but it also is a phazer, status spreader and switch in to many special threats. A lot of times killing this thing comes down to whether you have EQ or not because you aren't going to OHKO it otherwise. It's really the glue to this team because it is able to phase out sweepers and switch in for almost free on many threatss. I'm running 72 speed to speed creep other Spdef trans and get off earth power damage on them. Overall Heatran is just OP and does it's job on every team whether offensive or defensive.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Gastrodon:

I know you're wondering "why would you pick gastrodon as your bulky ground?" well the answer is Metagross. Metagross pretty much carries ice punch as a standard move slot now because of gliscor and co. This provides the answer because it avoids the 2hko from zen headbutt and 2hko's metagross in return. It also notably switches in on rotom-w, manectric and literally destroys rain offense which is great. However it's 4x weakness to grass is pretty bad, the venutran core provides the two best switch ins for grass attacks so that is basically null and void when the only major grass threats are Venu and serperior which heatran beats both with ease. Overall a fairly overrated mon that deserves a little more attention when considering bulky grounds.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover

Clefable:

This is my stallbreaker and secondary win condition. CM clefable is scary to almost every team, but especially scary when you combine it with Hp fire venu and heatran because they beat every one of it's counters and give it an easier time sweeping. It also is able to beat slowbro without psyshock and mega sableye, which although is becoming less common, is still a pain at times. It's the standard CM+magic guard set that avoids the 2hko from LO latios and has decent physical bulk due to it's high Hp stat. Clefable is just a great mon and is very splashable, but for good reason due to the basic need of fairy types in today's meta.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

Starmie:

I wanted to use dragonite as my win condition on this team and I needed a spinner. Naturally Excadrill came to mind, however starmie fit the roll better due to it's better speed tier and coverage. Landorus is a huge threat ot this team (as it is for all balanced teams) and this at least gives me a way to revenge kill it if it isn't the rock polish variant. Also based analytic allows it to due massive damgage on all of the switches that it forces. Overall it's just a fantastic mon this gen and does serious work on this team.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin​

Dragonite:

Here's the big friendly looking dragon that'll will sweep your team with just half a chance. This mon is just so versatile and scary that it finds it's way on to many of my teams. Multiscale is honestly what makes this pokemon fantastic. It lets it set up on nearly everything and at +1 it's practically curtains. Espeed allows it to serve another important role on the team which is revenge killer/priority user since my team has no scarfers just starmie at base 115 speed. Overall this is just a great mon that sets up with half a chance and this team clears it's counters very well.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

That's it for the team! every comment is appreciated!

Importable:
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Your starmie's ability says illuminate, I really hope you meant natural cure, or even analytic

Hey, nice team you have on your hands friend! There a just a few minor things I picked up on that I would like to touch upon. Firstly, if Mega metagross happens to be carrying grass knot it can pretty much decimate this team flat out and even if its not it puts a lot of strain on your Gastrodon, which will wear it down quickly even with the access to recover and will become very predictable. To fix this the addition of Bronzong over Gastrodon is very nice and puts a complete stop to Mega Metagross and also stops Landorus-I and Kyurem-B from rolling through your team. Last thing I wanted to mention is that since Bronzong has access to Stealth Rocks which can free up a move slot on your Heatran to either run coverage or another supportive move.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power Ice/ Protect / Toxic

This set not only does all of the above in its insane ability to check a lot of the current major threats in the OU tier atm, but also has a solid special attack stat for a primarily defensive monster which allows it to do sizable chips to your opponents team as well as having awesome coverage in earthquake to hit Heatran on potential switch ins. The third move is really up to you and depends if you want to smash those pesky Landorus-T/I floating around every where along with other four times weak to ice pokemons, Maybe you want to scout your opponents next move with protect if you suspect hes choice locked like Mold Breaker Excadrill or perhaps you just want to spread status.

Hope you were able to gain or at least enjoy my rate and I wish you and your team success in the future!

I love this team! Been trying to get my VenuTran team to work.

wouldn't removing gastrdon create a weakness to Zard X with EQ? Would it help to replace starmie then with Latias for defog and to faint Zard X?

I love this team! Been trying to get my VenuTran team to work.

wouldn't removing gastrdon create a weakness to Zard X with EQ? Would it help to replace starmie then with Latias for defog and to faint Zard X?
As much as Zard X might seem a threat, its really not as it suffers from having a slim selection of coverage move that will usually only fill two spots. This means that at least one Pokemon on the team is able to counter it at all time, although he'll have to take precautions to scout out the opponent set in order to preserve the life expectancy of his team.

Nice team, but Gastrodon < Quagsire, for unaware.
This is actually a great suggestion and can also be applied if you are worried about Zard X as mentioned previously, although you will still remain fairly weak to what I mentioned early in my first response.

Set+Info

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

The spread is standard and is to take on physically threats easier. Quagsire utilities one of the best abilities in the game to help wall a majority of the physically offensive meta while providing pivotal support for other members of the team and applying status spread. I highly recommend that if you are not going to use my first recommendation that you actually use this in the place of Gastrodon instead.

Grass Knot is pretty rare, but another option could be Bold 232 DEF slowbro takes ~57% max from grass knot. so unless Metagross predicts grass knot on the switch, Bro can come back with Thunder Wave and cripple gross and regenerator back out for some immediate health/momentum

Grass Knot is pretty rare, but another option could be Bold 232 DEF slowbro takes ~57% max from grass knot. so unless Metagross predicts grass knot on the switch, Bro can come back with Thunder Wave and cripple gross and regenerator back out for some immediate health/momentum
It's not quite as uncommon as you say, and it is certainly a good option for Megagross to run. Your Slowbro suggestion is indeed good, though it isn't completely unreasonable to assume it will predict that kind of switch in if it runs Grass Knot. I happen to also think that Slowbro may very well be a stronger option for this team than gastrodon, mainly due to the fact that Gastrodon's Scald immunity is not nearly as important as it is in most situations, due to the fact that you have a magic guard Clefable which can switch into most defensive Scalds with ease.

Beyond that there isn't a great deal to say about the team, it does a solid job of checking OU's most common threats and certainly has the necessary tools to put pressure on most opposing team archetypes, though I can see some potential issues against full stall teams. Fortunately, full stall is extremely common at the moment so it isn't something you need to worry too much about.

currently testing Bronzong. Venutran covers most threats in OU. Char x usually only carries two coverage moves unless it's some weird SD+3 attacks so it can be worked around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)