1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

No Water Sandstorm Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by AwsomeBiz, Nov 20, 2012.

1. AwsomeBiz

AwsomeBiz

I made this this team from Marriland's Teambuilder, and I've tested it quite a bit, but it may need some improvement. If any water type pokemon are around against me, it's pretty much useless when Gastrodon's around. It feels like a pretty good team but rate away anyways.

[​IMG]

Tyranitar(Lead)
    Sassy Nature
    ~SuperPower
    ~Fire Blast
    ~Crunch
    ~Ice Beam

The most essential pokemon needed for a sandstorm team, I use it to send out the Sandstorm to either switch into another poke with the special defensive boost for my fellow ground and steel types. For T-tar the special defensive boost is great for surviving the most powerful special attacks, such as draco meteor. It's moveset give it a nice coverage, surviving a Genesect Bugbuzz and killing it with FireBlast. It is a good lure to water type attacks so I'll be able to switch into gastrodon. It is used for a Specially Defensive tank and to survive most hits. The lum berry is to cure those nasty status effects known as paralysis and sleep, so its able to continue its dusty rampage.

[​IMG]

Gliscor(Bulky Sweeper)
    Impish Nature
    ~Protect
    ~Earthquake
    ~Facade
    ~Swords Dance

This poke benefits from the sandstorm and can confuse opponents with this moveset. I'm able to set up if my foe assumes it's just another one of those stally gliscors. The Ev spread is to help it outspeed and at the same time take some physical hits for it to set-up swords dance. It helps to break walls that stop this team, such as ferrothorn,deoxys D,etc. A good scouter with the use of protect and to heal up with poison heal along the way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Rotom-W(Bulky Special Attacker)
    Modest Nature
    ~Hydro Pump
    ~Will-O-Wisp
    ~Volt Switch
    ~Pain Split

The purpose of this poke is to cover up the weakness to fire type moves. Its role is to be a bulky special attacker and to cover up my team weaknesses and to provide some bulk. Willowisp further weakens physical threats like gyrarados,breloom and other pokes that counter this team. Provides a move to check the opposing team and spammable. This is the only poke that is able to switch into an ice type attack that might've been directed at gliscor.

[​IMG]

Gastrodon(Bulky Support)
    Calm Nature
    ~Toxic
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Earth Power
    ~Recover

The purpose of this pokemon is to completely stop water type pokemon if switched into a water type move, so it has the chance to sweep if needed. That and also to gain immunity to water and electric type moves. With sandstorm up, its able to takes ALOT of special attacks that would otherwise cause massive amounts of damage to my other pokes. Since it's one my most valued pokemon in this team, is should stay in longer with recover and wear down pokes with toxic that gastrodon has a hard time dealing with.

[​IMG]

Gallade(Specially Defensive Bulky Sweeper)
    Calm Nature
    ~Substitute
    ~Drain Punch
    ~Shadow Sneak
    ~Bulk Up

Designed to be a bulky physical sweeper to set up on walls if needed. It is used to provide type coverage and overall more bulk. Bulk makes up for his low Def and to power up his moves to wreck face. It has drain punch to stay in as long as possible enough to deal as much damage as possible. Shadow sneak is used to surprise psychic types.

[​IMG]

Skamory(Physical Wall)
    Impish Nature
    ~Whirlwind
    ~Brave Bird
    ~Spikes
    ~Roost

Still THE best wall with its typing today, and gets the special def boost from t-tar as a bonus. With 2 of my pokemon are weak to grass its really mandatory to have a very solid counter to them, such as my skarm. Is able to wall physical attacks that cannot deal with skarmory and setup on the opponent with spikes. It is also to able phaze out baton passers,sword dancers,subs,etc. WIth roost, it can stall out pokemon that are deemed threatening to my team.
    [​IMG]

Now please keep in mind this is my first team where I actually put some thought into creating and don't worry, I've tested this team on battle sims, just needd some tweaking for an efficient team be it replacing a poke, changing ev spread, items,etc. Any criticism is greatly appreciated.
  2. Alfalfa

Alfalfa

Gliscor: swap Facade for Ice Fang, as this allows you to hit Gengar. Other than that, I am really short on time. Adios.
  3. youngjake93

youngjake93

That seems like a waste to compensate for Gengar when Gengar could easily Disable Ice Fang.
    The only advice I can think of is to watch out for Swords Dance Breloom with Low Sweep+Bullet Seed. It gets a free switch in on Gastrodon and can do work on this team. Looks pretty solid though.
  4. AwsomeBiz

AwsomeBiz

Just need some more insight for my team, if anyone is willing, preferably a detailed analysis of my team.
  5. youngjake93

youngjake93

What is Superpower for? Could you switch it to Stealth Rocks?
  6. undisputed

undisputed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Frontier Lackeyis a Past WCoP Winner

Hey!

Good looking team. Not too much to change in my opinion. I like your use of Gallade. It can get some surprise sweeps, but watch out for Tornadus-t! It will give you a headache if Rotom-w goes down. Anyway, I'll focus on some minor changes like you asked.

First, consider Defensive Rapid Spin Starmie instead of Gastrodon. Gastodon does a great job stopping Water types like you said, but you've got Rotom-w too. Rotom-w pretty much stops all Water types in their tracks. There are a lot of potential benefits to switching Gastrodon to Starmie. First, you can Rapid Spin opposing team hazards. That's pretty huge in a metagame where Deoxys-d is on a lot of teams. Starmie is also bulky enough to switch into most waters. CM Keldeo would be a pain for you to deal with, but Starmie can take it easily. Starmie also provides a little offense. Little is the key word, but Scald burns and SE Psyshocks will take their toll in a match.

Next, I highly recommend changing Superpower to Stealth Rock on Tyranitar. Fire Blast hits most Steels anyway, so I don't see the big need for it. I guess the only reason you'd use Superpower is for opposing Tyranitar, but Gallade gets a free switch in if that is the case. Overall, Stealth Rock will provide much more utility and passive damage than Superpower will directly do.

After that, I think you should try Toxic Stall Gliscor. Sub / Protect / EQ / Toxic is the set, and you can keep the same EVs you already have. Swords Dance really can't sweep anything. There's always some Landorus, Latios, or Keldeo waiting in the wings to end you. Sub Toxic stays around much longer, and it won't directly lose to those Pokemon unless it has to switch into them.

Otherwise, good team. Good work. Always good to see people put this much time and effort into making a team.

Good luck!
  7. tehy

tehy

I'll be quick. Firstly, skarmory does not get a special defense boost from sandstorm, and with that said, a NPlebi or CMrizion give your team major problems. They're rare, so you can just leave it at that, but a good idea would be to follow undisputed's advice and swap out gastrodon for starmie-psyshock crushes virizion, and ice beam does a number on celebi. (And it technically learns signal beam.)

Secondly, facade to ice fang is a great idea. Subdisable gar can't even reliably disable you, since you have protect. Meanwhile, you can do actual damage to dragons like salamence and dragonite, which is always helpful, even with skarmory.

Gallade isn't very good, and i say that from a position of liking it. Consider just running conkeldurr or scrafty.

Edit: Well, yeah, but gallade isn't even in the barrel. At all. The article basically enumerates all the reasons to not use gallade as well, except for that whole "worse ability" thing.
  8. AwsomeBiz

AwsomeBiz

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, and I have switched out gastrodon for starmie. It seems to be working fine on my team, taking out the hazards, but can get threatened by ghost,bug,grass and electric type attacks which my team lacks the counter for them. I gave conkeldurr a try, but there seemed to be too many special attackers in teams i've been facing. There were times when I could've had gallade to use shadow sneak on pokes who resisted fighting attacks. As for scrafty this article kinda discourages me from using him...http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue21/bottom_barrel
  9. Ranticus

Ranticus

After reading the suggestions and your overview of the team, I found some ideas for upgrading the roster.

Starmie: The use of Starmie instead of Gastrodon allows coverage for your switch ins against SR and Spikes, I find this to be a wonderful addition.
    Gliscor: The use of Facade I think is helping a bit, the issue I have with the standard Stall Gliscor is that Gengar and steel types just kind of wall them off. (Sat in a GTS battle for a whole hour on a stalemate between Skarmory and my Gliscor)
    Replacement for Gallade: After testing a lot of Physical sweepers/stall breakerss (Conk, Gyrados, Gallade, Scrafty & Hitmontop), with your setup, I discovered that a Dry Skin Toxicroak is BEAST with this comp.
    Toxicroak (The Boss)
    Adamant Nature
    ~Swords Dance
    ~Ice Punch
    ~Drain Punch
    ~Sucker Punch

Essentially how this works with your comp, is it encompasses both Gastrodon and Gallade's responsibilities. It Hydration tanks, regains health when switched it on water attacks. I usually use him as a Lead if I see a Politoed on their team or alot of Psychic/Dark. If they switch in a Ninetails, just switch in your T-Tar next turn to knock out the Sunny Day. HE IS SO GOOD <3
    (Edit: I did make a proxy of the team and added the additions for about 8 hours yesterday on Sim as research)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)