ability: Infiltrator
item: Choice Specs
evs: 252 Spe 252 SpA 4 SpD
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Draco Meteor deals massive damage with 130 power
  • Dragon Pulse is a less powerful but more reliable option, with no drawbacks
  • Air Slash is a reliable STAB move that Noivern can abuse with it's chance to flinch
  • Hurricane is notably more powerful then Air Slash, but at the cost of accuracy
  • Boomburst is a very spammable move with 140 power and no drawbacks
  • U-turn provides momentum
  • Switcheroo can cripple Physical attackers, or basically anything that doesn't appreciate a Choice Specs
  • Flamethrower provides coverage, especially against Ice-types which Noivern is 4x weak to
  • Focus Blast gives a little more coverage then Flamethrower, hits Ice-types super-effectively as well as Rock-types, is more powerful but all at the cost of 30% accuracy

Set Details
========
  • Choice Specs utilize Noivern's high Speed and decent Special Attack to deal massive damage, especially with it's STABs, and can cripple Physical-attackers with Switcheroo
  • Maximum EVs are placed in Special Attack and Speed to maximize Noivern's speed and power, and a Timid nature is used to increase Speed even more. The leftover EVs are placed in Special Defense rather then HP to keep an odd HP stat, allowing Noivern to switch into Stealth Rock five times rather then four.

Usage Tips
========
  • Can be used to clear up end-game
  • Can eliminate threats like Nidoking with STAB Draco Meteor
  • Can come in on something that is setting up behind a Substitute and do massive damage with Boomburst
  • Best to use Switcheroo on Physical attackers like Rhyperior, or things that are setting up, like Suicune.
  • Commonly hit and runs with Draco Meteor
  • Use wisely, if things like Florges are on the opponent's team
  • Be careful when using U-turn to much if there is rocks on your side of the field

Team Options
========
  • Rapid Spinner/Defogger to get rid of hazards, namely Stealth Rock which Noivern is very weak to
  • Mega-Aggron has very nice type synergy with Noivern, and can tank any Physical threats that scare Noivern out
  • Pokemon with Volt Switch to make a VoltTurn core (Raikou, Jolteon, and Forretress with Volt Switch, or Mienshao or Jirachi with U-turn; all of which have decent type synergy with Noivern)
Life Orb
########
name: Life Orb
move 1: Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Taunt / Air Slash
move 4: Roost
item: Life Orb
evs: 64 HP 252 SpA 192 Spe

Moves
========
  • Draco Meteor is the main STAB, hitting hard with Life Orb
  • Dragon Pulse is a less powerful alternative to Draco Meteor, but with no drawbacks
  • Flamethrower provides neutral coverage with Draco Meteor
  • Taunt stops things like suicide-lead Azelf
  • Air Slash provides more options attack-wise
  • Roost keeps it alive throughout the match, as it is quite frail
Set Details
========
  • Frisk is great for scouting out the opposing lead's item
  • Life Orb provides as much power as possible while still allowing Noivern to use status moves
  • HP investment gives it a little bit of bulk, max investment in Special Attack to maximize power output, 192 Speed to outspeed Azelf
Usage Tips
========
  • Great Anti-lead for things like Azelf
  • Can also take out threats with a hit and run Draco Meteor
  • Be wary of Florges
  • Lead with this most of the time unless a counter/check is their obvious lead
Team Options
========
  • Rapid Spinner/Defogger
  • Roserade (for Florges)
Other Options
########
  • Tailwind can be used to provide support for team
  • Can phaze with Whirlwind
  • Dragon Pulse can be an alternative to Draco Meteor
  • Frisk can be used as an alternative on the Choice Specs set if running Switcheroo
  • Boomburst can be used as a reliable move to clean up end-game

Checks & Counters
########
  • Florges can take basically anything Noivern wants to do
  • Set-up sweepers get free turn if Noivern is forced to switch out due to Draco Meteor's Special Attack drop
  • Specially Defensive Umbreon takes Noivern's hits very well
  • Porygon2 tanks even a Focus Blast, and hits back with a 4x super-effective Ice Beam
  • Snorlax also tanks hits from Noivern and can recover damage from Focus Blast with Rest

Overview
########
Generation VI brought yet another Dragon / Flying type which has comfortably found a place in UU. With very high Speed, decent Special Attack, great coverage, and powerful STABs, Noivern is a great addition to most hyper-offensive teams. It has access to STAB Draco Meteor and Hurricane which hit like a truck, as well as the less powerful but more reliable Dragon Pulse and Air Slash; the latter's flinch chance can be taken advantage of thanks to Noivern's high Speed. Noivern scares out Heracross and can deal respectable damage to a multitude of other Pokemon with its great coverage. However, Noivern does not come without its flaws. It's weak to Stealth Rock, arguably the most common entry hazard in the game, and is quite frail. Noivern's most powerful STAB move, Draco Meteor, halves its Special Attack stat after use, meaning that it's almost forced to switch out after using it. Aside from these flaws, Noivern has definitely found, and deserves, a spot in the UU tier.

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Air Slash / Hurricane
move 3: Switcheroo / U-turn
move 4: Flamethrower / Focus Blast
item: Choice Specs
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Moves
========
Draco Meteor is Noivern's main STAB move, capable dealing an insane amount of damage with Choice Specs. Air Slash is Noivern's second STAB move, which is much less powerful then Draco Meteor but comes with almost no drawbacks and a chance to flinch. Hurricane can be used as an alternative to Air Slash for more power and the chance to confuse, but it comes at the cost of accuracy. Switcheroo can be used to cripple Pokemon that don't appreciate Choice Specs or are setting up. U-turn is an alternative to Switcheroo to provide momentum for your team. Flamethrower is a reliable move that provides coverage, particularly against Steel-types, which otherwise wall Noivern. Focus Blast can be used instead of Flamethrower, as it is more powerful and deals super effective damage to Rock-types as well as Ice-types, but it has unreliable accuracy. It also hits Umbreon and Porygon2 super effectively, both of which otherwise wall Noivern with their high Special Defense.

Set Details
========
Choice Specs is used to give Noivern's reasonable Special Attack stat a big boost and allow Noivern to deal massive damage with moves such as STAB Draco Meteor. Infiltrator is the preferred ability because it allows Noivern to hit past Substitutes as well as Light Screen and Reflect. Max EV investment is put into Special Attack and Speed so that Noivern can hit as hard and fast as possible, while the leftover 4 EVs are placed into Special Defense rather than HP in order to reduce damage from Stealth Rock, as well as burn or poison. A Timid nature is used to maximize Noivern's Speed.

Usage Tips
========
This set is great for picking off leftover Pokemon at the end of a battle, and can OHKO threats such as Nidoking with Draco Meteor. Be wary of Fairy-types when using this move as you will be locked into it, essentially forcing you to switch, as Dragon-type moves do not affect Fairy-types. It is also handy to come in on unsuspecting Pokemon hiding behind a Substitute and deal massive damage to them through the Substitute, thanks to Infiltrator. It is ideal to use Switcheroo on Pokemon that don't appreciate Choice Specs, such as Darmanitan, or Pokemon that are setting up, such as Suicune. Try and use this move sparingly and only when needed, as the Choice Specs are what mainly gives Noivern its power. U-turn is ideally used on incoming threats to provide momentum and gain the upper hand for your team. However, be wary of using U-turn too much if there is Stealth Rock on your side of the field, as Noivern does not appreciate the 25% health loss when switching in. If you have used Draco Meteor, it is best to switch out straight away as the Special Attack drop leaves it crippled, so only stay in if it is absolutely necessary. Flamethrower and Focus Blast can both be used to deal super effective damage to Ice-types, and the latter to Rock-types as well. Do not rely on these all the time, as they lack STAB, and in Focus Blast's case, unreliable.

Team Options
========
Noivern appreciates Rapid Spin or Defog support, as both of these moves can get rid of Stealth Rock, which Noivern is weak to. Forretress is a good option, as it provides nice type synergy with Noivern, can tank physical hits rather well, creates a VoltTurn core with Noivern, and can set up its own Stealth Rock. If you decide to run U-turn, a VoltTurn core is definitely a good idea. Some viable options include the aforementioned Forretress, Raikou, and Jolteon with Volt Switch, or Mienshao and Jirachi with U-turn. Jirachi also has nice type synergy with Noivern, similar to Forretress.

Life Orb
########
name: Life Orb
move 1: Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
move 2: Flamethrower / Focus Blast
move 3: Taunt / Air Slash
move 4: Roost
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Moves
========
Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse act as Noivern's main STAB. Flamethrower and Focus Blast both provide great coverage and deal super effective damage to Ice-types, the latter dealing super effective damage to Rock-types, Umbreon, and Porygon2 as well. Taunt is for leads such as Azelf that will try to set up entry hazards or screens, but Air Slash can be used as an alternative. Roost heals off half of Noivern's HP, keeping it alive during the match, as it is weak to Stealth Rock and has bad defensive stats.

Set Details
========
Taunt hits sweepers that are setting up behind a Substitute. Life Orb allows Noivern to deal as much damage as possible while still being able to utilize status moves like Roost or Taunt. Max investment is placed in Special Attack and Speed to increase damage output and Speed, and the rest are put into Special Defense to ensure that Porygon-Z and Porygon2's Download raises its Attack rather than Special Attack. A Timid nature is used to increase Noivern's Speed.

Usage Tips
========
Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse and Air Slash are the main STABs and therefore are best used when you need to deal some solid damage. Taunt can be used to predict an incoming Florges, crippling it and not allowing it to heal its teammates as well as somewhat crippling itself. Taunt is also great against leads such as Azelf, as it prevents them from setting up entry hazards. Flamethrower and Focus Blast are best used against Ice-types and Rock-types, respectively. Both of these moves are non-STAB, and Focus Blast has unreliable accuracy, so be careful when using them. Roost can heal off damage that Noivern has received throughout the match, and is best used when Noivern forces a switch.

Team Options
========
Rapid Spin or Defog support gets rid of Stealth Rock, allowing Noivern to switch in more often. However, this may not be necessary as Noivern can use Taunt to prevent opposing Pokemon from setting up entry hazards. Noivern is a big lure to Florges, so Roserade, as well as most other Poison-types, work great with Noivern as they can deal super effective damage to Florges and other Fairy-types.

Other Options
########
Tailwind support can be used to aid other team members, doubling their Speed. Unfortunately Tailwind only lasts for four turns, meaning that you don't have much time to set up and then sweep with the support that Tailwind provides. Noivern can also phaze opponents with Whirlwind, removing anything that decides to set up, making sure that your team won't get swept. Boomburst can be used on the Choice Specs set, as it is a reliable move with no drawbacks and 140 Base Power which can hit Fairy-types reasonably hard. However, it is non-STAB and its ability to hit through Substitutes is useless as Noivern already has Infiltrator. Super Fang is usable as it hits Fairy-types, but it's risky to use it with Choice Specs, and Noivern already has a severe case of four-moveslot syndrome.

Checks & Counters
########
**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types in general check Noivern with their Dragon immunity; in particular, Florges can easily tank Noivern's attacks with its superb special bulk and hit back with a super effective STAB move.

**Specially Defensive Tanks**: Pokemon with high Special Defense and access to reliable recovery, such as Umbreon, Snorlax, and Porygon2, can tank even a super effective Focus Blast and hit back. Porygon2 even carries Ice Beam to hit Noivern for 4x super effective damage.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Bulky Steel-types such as Assault Vest Metagross or specially defensive Jirachi can tank even a super effective Flamethrower and hit back hard. Jirachi can deal super effective damage with Ice Punch or cripple Noivern with Thunder Wave. Metagross can also deal heavy damage with Ice Punch or Meteor Mash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is WIP, but are the Choice Specs and Switcheroo sets even really deserving of different sets? I know this is WIP, but I could see it being quite easy to combine the two. A set like this maybe?

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Air Slash / Hurricane
- Flamethrower / Focus Blast
- Switcheroo / U-Turn / Boomburst

I really don't feel like Boomburst is even all that good on Noivern in the first place... sure, it's a 140 BP move with no drawbacks, but it's commonly resisted, and a lot of the times Draco Meteor is just plainly a better option. I guess it can be nice late-game for consistency, but tbh besides that it doesn't seem that good. I'm no Noivern expert, though, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

I know this is WIP, but are the Choice Specs and Switcheroo sets even really deserving of different sets? I know this is WIP, but I could see it being quite easy to combine the two. A set like this maybe?

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Air Slash / Hurricane
- Flamethrower / Focus Blast
- Switcheroo / U-Turn / Boomburst

I really don't feel like Boomburst is even all that good on Noivern in the first place... sure, it's a 140 BP move with no drawbacks, but it's commonly resisted, and a lot of the times Draco Meteor is just plainly a better option. I guess it can be nice late-game for consistency, but tbh besides that it doesn't seem that good. I'm no Noivern expert, though, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.
Sorry for the late reply, I was writing this up and I didn't even see your post.

I've used Noivern many times before, and I do find that I don't use Boomburst too often. Maybe I could get rid of Boomburst and have Flamethrower and Focus Blast on one set? Also, Choice Specs Noivern is my favourite kind of Noivern and to be honest is it's best niche. Draco Meteor hits like a truck and it has insane coverage. Switcheroo can be really useful when something (ahem, CroCune) is setting up. I much prefer having Switcheroo as it's own set; I think I'd find if I used your set I would never use Switcheroo and just keep my Choice Specs. But maybe that's just me.

Thank you for your suggestion!

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
i agree with lightningluxray, the two sets are extremely similar and it would suffice to just slash switcheroo and talk about its merits in the set comments if you really feel like its that useful.

choice scarf seems too weak to be useful but i'm not set in stone on this one

The life orb is setter is very viable as well

Noivern
Naive/Timid(Naive to take priorty moves a bit better or timid if not running u-turn)
Life Orb
Focus Blast
Flamethrower
Draco Meteor
U-turn/Hurricane/Boomburst

252 speed 252 special attack and 4 hp

This set works best a lead scout and with an amazing speed stat you can pretty much a get free u-turn off anything if you dont like your matchup.

The life orb is setter is very viable as well

Noivern
Naive/Timid(Naive to take priorty moves a bit better or timid if not running u-turn)
Life Orb
Focus Blast
Flamethrower
Draco Meteor
U-turn/Hurricane/Boomburst

252 speed 252 special attack and 4 hp

This set works best a lead scout and with an amazing speed stat you can pretty much a get free u-turn off anything if you dont like your matchup.
I'm not sure about the viability of this set, and it's just too similar to the set already mentioned. However, I'll put it in OO.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I feel a Life Orb set such as this one can be used; I know you have a Life Orb set as well as Taunt listed in OO, but this set's pretty effective especially as an Anti-Lead of sorts, and I definitely think it's good enough to warrant its own mention:

Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Roost

The EVs are for outspeeding base 115s such as Azelf, since the only other relevant benchmark you hit is against opposing Noivern, whom you only can tie with at best, with the remaining EVs invested into bulk for a bit of longevity. It's really good at scouting what the opponent's leading with thanks to Frisk, and Taunt allows it to beat common suicide leads such as Azelf. You get very decent two-move coverage between Draco Meteor and Flamethrower, and Roost allows it to keep going for a match.

Far as VoltTurn, I'd list partners for it things such as Raikou, Mienshao, Magneton, and Forretress. Each of them has decent synergy offensively or defensively and can form a decent core with it, should you choose to run U-turn on Noivern. Most Steel-types in general honestly go with it defensively, too, such as Metagross, Jirachi (also works with the VoltTurn thing), and such.

Yea I was about to mention a taunt variant cause of the amazing speed stat. Also mega manetric can work well as partner in a volt turn core

I think this is ready for QC.

OO and Team Options need a bit more information, so suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
  • Noivern can hit and run with the 130 power Draco Meteor
I would remove this and mention it in Usage Tips instead (but still mention Draco Meteor in Moves of course)

Also, mention Dragon Pulse and Air Slash in either OO or Set Details as reliable STAB moves that don't hinder Noivern's other moves or have terrible accuracy, BUT MAKE SURE TO MENTION THAT THESE MOVES ARE MUCH, MUCH WEAKER

I would remove this and mention it in Usage Tips instead (but still mention Draco Meteor in Moves of course)

Also, mention Dragon Pulse and Air Slash in either OO or Set Details as reliable STAB moves that don't hinder Noivern's other moves or have terrible accuracy, BUT MAKE SURE TO MENTION THAT THESE MOVES ARE MUCH, MUCH WEAKER
Thanks for the suggestion~

On Life Orb mention that Roost takes advantage of the switches Noivern causes basically granting a free Roost against teams with Florges as they're going to go to it pretty much every time Noivern comes in.

QC 2/3, start writing this bad boy up :]

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
252 SpA Choice Specs Noivern Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 160-190 (42.7 - 50.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Noivern Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 192-228 (48.7 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I think you shoud mention these points in detailing focus blast. Both p2 and umbreon wall noivern with ease if it lacks focus blast.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I did not see any mention of Super Fang in the analysis. It is an extremely useful move to pound switch-ins before using Meteor, which would otherwise pry the 2HKO out of Noivern's reach. It likely warrants better merit over Air Slash.

I did not see any mention of Super Fang in the analysis. It is an extremely useful move to pound switch-ins before using Meteor, which would otherwise pry the 2HKO out of Noivern's reach. It likely warrants better merit over Air Slash.
In my opinion there isnt really much room for a gimmicky sort of move like super fang yea it can wear down walls to half but noivern benefits more from having the better coverage moves like flamethrower and focus blast alongside draco meteor and the last move slot is usually reserved for u-turn to scout or hurricane if on a rain dance team

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
In my opinion there isnt really much room for a gimmicky sort of move like super fang yea it can wear down walls to half but noivern benefits more from having the better coverage moves like flamethrower and focus blast alongside draco meteor and the last move slot is usually reserved for u-turn to scout or hurricane if on a rain dance team
You make it sound like Super Fang would be used on the Choice set, which is obviously not the case. Super Fang's main merits are: 1) allowing Noivern an easier time to bust open walls such as Florges and Umbreon who would usually like to switch in on Noivern, 2) not costing Life Orb recoil, 3) preventing opponents from simply saccing stuff to Draco Meteor, Noivern's main spamming move, and most importantly 4) gives Noivern a way to deal damage after Meteor is used.

You make it sound like Super Fang would be used on the Choice set, which is obviously not the case. Super Fang's main merits are: 1) allowing Noivern an easier time to bust open walls such as Florges and Umbreon who would usually like to switch in on Noivern, 2) not costing Life Orb recoil, 3) preventing opponents from simply saccing stuff to Draco Meteor, Noivern's main spamming move, and most importantly 4) gives Noivern a way to deal damage after Meteor is used.
Noivern has the ability to u-turn out of common switch in so it would more beneficial to gain the momentum and bring in a pokemon better suited to handle the situation. Noivern doesnt have enough power to handle those walls one on one. Both of them can wish protect toxic stall noivern.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)