There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
QC: 2/2 (Laurel, lucariojr)
GP: 2/2 (fleurdyleurse, horyzhnz)
Done

Like a bat out of.... Ahhh furget it

Overview
########

Noivern is a very interesting and useful newcomer to VGC 2014. It is the fastest unboosted Dragon-type in the format, which makes it an excellent check to non-Choice Scarf Salamence, Hydreigon, and, most importantly, Garchomp. Unlike other Dragon-type Pokemon, Noivern's movepool gives it the ability to use a full support set successfully. Its ability, Frisk, is a very helpful ability to have in VGC so you don't get surprised by niche held items. Noivern's ability to support a VGC team and check other Dragon-types well is where it carves its niche, despite its sub-standard Special Attack when compared to other Dragon-types of the format. Noivern's bulk is also sub-standard, so it will usually have to rely on Focus Sash or heavy bulk investment in order to function properly. On top of this, Noivern also faces competition from Aerodactyl as a speedy support Pokemon and Salamence as a Dragon-type check. Despite this, Noivern does have a very distinct place in the VGC format. Its ability to check dangerous Dragon-types and provide speedy support is something no other Pokemon in the format can do.

Utility Dragon
########
name: Utility Dragon
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Tailwind
move 3: Super Fang / Taunt
move 4: Protect / Taunt
ability: Frisk
item: Focus Sash
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Tailwind is one of the best speed control moves in the game. It gives Noivern the niche of a supportive Pokemon and should be used no matter what. Draco Meteor allows Noivern to check Dragon-types, some of the biggest threats in VGC 2014. Despite Noivern's mediocre Special Attack, Draco Meteor is still a 130 Base Power move boosted by STAB and can be used to dent any Pokemon that lacks resistance or immunity to it. Super Fang is an excellent option to run alongside Draco Meteor, as its ability to halve an opponent's HP puts a lot of Pokemon into Draco Meteor KO range and it isn't affected by Draco Meteor's Special Attack-lowering side effect. It can also be used to set up KOes for Noivern's partner. Protect is almost a given on any VGC Pokemon that isn't carrying a Choice item, as it allows Noivern to block Fake Out so its Focus Sash isn't broken before it can even move. Taunt is used to shut down Trick Room setters other than Aromatisse, and can also be used to cripple Smeargle and other pure support Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed and Special Attack investment gives Noivern the ability to outrun everything up to and including Greninja while still having Draco Meteor do as much damage as possible. Focus Sash helps Noivern set up Tailwind, despite its subpar bulk, and allows it to check Choice Scarf Dragon-types as long as Noivern hasn't taken prior damage. A bulkier spread of 156 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe with a Timid nature still allows Noivern to outpace Garchomp and forgo a Focus Sash if the item is needed elsewhere, but the main spread is otherwise better.

Usage Tips
========

Always Protect against Fake Out users the first turn they are on the field. This guarantees that Noivern's Focus Sash will not be broken just for Noivern to flinch or fall to a double target. If you suspect your opponent has a Choice Scarf Salamence or Hydreigon, keeping Noivern's Focus Sash intact gives you another check to them. Set up Tailwind only when needed, as the move only lasts four turns in total, and two turns if your opponent has dual Protect users. Tailwind also allows Noivern to check the Scarf Dragon-types listed above even if its Focus Sash has been broken. Use Super Fang to bring Pokemon into the KO range of Noivern's partner or Noivern's own Draco Meteor. Using Taunt on Trick Room users is always a good idea. If you suspect a Fake Out and Trick Room lead from your opponent, Noivern should not be one of the four Pokemon you choose to bring.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with very strong offensive presences are some of the best partners Noivern can have. Strong attackers that can flatten key Pokemon in a single turn, such as Mega Mawile and Choice Specs Gardevoir, discourage and punish the opponent for double targeting Noivern in order to KO it through its Focus Sash. These Pokemon also benefit greatly from Noivern's Tailwind. Mega Kangaskhan deserves its own mention, as it has a ridiculous offensive presence from the moment it is sent out and can punish a double target on Noivern even greater than most with Parental Bond Power-Up Punch. Mega Kangaskhan also appreciates Noivern's ability to KO Garchomp and Tailwind doubling its Speed. Rotom-H loves having Dragon-types removed, especially Garchomp.

Other Options
########

Dragon Pulse is a 100% accurate alternative to Draco Meteor that doesn't have any negative after effects. However, it is pathetically weak when compared to Draco Meteor, and with Noivern's mediocre Special Attack and access to Super Fang, Draco Meteor is better. Flamethrower can be used to fry Ferrothorn and Scizor and do good damage to Bisharp and Mega Mawile, and it can be used to wear down Aegislash behind its Substitute when used alongside Infiltrator. Hurricane is a strong STAB option that most notably takes care of Amoonguss. It works best when used on a Rain Dance team due to Hurricane's bad 70% accuracy outside of rain and crippling 50% accuracy in sun. Roost gives Noivern a recovery option and gives it the excellent pure Dragon typing for a turn. Only use it on the bulky EV spread because otherwise it isn't worth the moveslot. Telepathy is almost entirely inferior to Frisk or Infiltrator, but can be used on Discharge teams if need be.

Checks & Counters
########

**Tyranitar**: Tyranitar limits Noivern to only one move by having Rock Slide or Ice Beam bring Noivern down to its Focus Sash and then having sandstorm finish it off. The best thing Noivern can do is use Super Fang on Tyranitar.

**Mamoswine**: Mamoswine limits Noivern to one turn with its priority Ice Shard or Icicle Spear. It will get severely crippled by Draco Meteor should Noivern attack it, though.

**Talonflame**: Talonflame limits Noivern to one move by 2HKOing it with priority Brave Bird. It does not like taking a Draco Meteor, though.

**Aerodactyl**: Aerodactyl outspeeds Noivern and threatens to 2HKO with Rock Slide as well as potentially flinching Noivern and its partner. Noivern can set up Tailwind if Aerodactyl isn't carrying Taunt to make use of two turns as a result, if it doesn't flinch. If Aerodactyl carries Taunt, then it can stop Noivern from using Tailwind altogether.

**Paralysis**: Having Noivern's partner paralyzed is a major problem, as it makes Noivern's Tailwind useless. Prankster Thunder Wave users are particularly annoying, especially Klefki, which is immune to Draco Meteor.

Overview
########
  • Garchomp Check
  • Good movepool
  • Fantastic Speed
  • Frisk is a very nice ability
  • 'Meh' Special Attack
  • Not the best Bulk
  • Competition from Salamence and Aerodactyl (its a weird bastardization of the two tbh)
Utility Dragon
########

Moves
========
  • Tailwind is a very nice support move that is crucial in speed control games
  • Taunt shuts down slower support pokemon and Aegislash and protects against Trick Room. TR otherwise makes Tailwind the biggest backfire ever
  • Draco Meteor allows it to hit decently hard while checking Garchomp and non-Scarf Salamence
  • Super Fang is excellent for setting up double target KOs
  • Protect is to block Fake Out and for scouting mainly, but Protecting Noivern for a turn in general is sometimes nice

Set Details
========
  • Max speed Noivern can outspeed everything up to and including Greninja
  • Focus Sash is to somewhat make up for Noivern's lackluster bulk and to check Salamence when needed
  • 252 SpA to hit as hard as possible without a boosting nature
  • 4 in HP to make it somewhat make up for Noivern's bulk problem
  • A bulkier spread of 156 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe Timid can be used to still outspeed Garchomp and forego Focus Sash but it lacks power
  • Use as little Attack IVs as possible to minimize Confusion and Foul Play damage

Usage Tips
========
  • Protect on suspected Fake Outs
  • Keep Sash intact if you want to check a scarfmence
  • Set up Tailwind when needed
  • Drop Dracos on stuff when Noivern has done its job or save your Draco for a Garchomp
  • Can check Salamence under Tailwind or with its sash intact
  • Taunt Trick Room users to make sure that Tailwind doesn't end up working against your team
  • Overall, it is an easy mon to use

Team Options
========
  • Strong attackers and set up mons to punish double targets
  • Azumaril, Mega Mawile, and Bisharp absolutely adore having thier speed doubled and having Will-O-Wisp users Taunted
  • Mega Kang since it likes having Garchomp gone and having its Speed doubled
  • Rotom-H is an excellent partner since it loves having Garchomp out of the way.
  • Pretty stand alone support mon tbh

Other Options
########
  • Dragon Pulse can be used as a consistent alternative to Draco Meteor, but the power difference is very noticeable
  • Flamethrower is used to hit Ferrothorn and Scizor where it hurts, Mawile decently hard, and can be used with Infiltrator to troll Aegislash
  • Hurricane is a strong STAB attack that can be used to its fullest potential on a rain build (Bye Bye Amoonguss)
  • Roost will give Noivern back most of its health and also give it the excellent pure Dragon typing for a turn. Only use roost on the bulky spread, otherwise it isn't worth the moveslot
  • Telepathy is not as useful as Frisk or Infiltrator but can be used on Discharge teams
  • Switcheroo Ring Target to Draco Fairies

Checks & Counters
########
  • Fairies
  • Tyranitar / Megatar
  • Mamoswine
  • Aerodactyl / Megadactyl
  • Talonflame
  • Thunder Wave
  • Gyarados
  • Scarf Mence
  • Ice Coverage

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm thinking don't bother with Switcheroo as TrickSpecs/TrickScarf isn't brilliant in doubles. I'd change that set to this:

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Boomburst
move 4: Air Slash / Hurricane
ability: Frisk / Infiltrator
item: Choice Specs
evs: 252 SpA / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
nature: Modest

Even with specs, Noivern isn't exactly the strongest pokemon with only base 97 SpA. This means that Noivern needs Modest to deal proper damage, even with Specs. Even with bulky EVs, Noivern isn't going to be taking hits very well anyway, so losing so large amounts power for bulk is pointless, hense Modest with 204 speed to outpace max speed Jolly Garchomp, maxed out special attack cause it needs the powe and the rest dumped into SpD to let you guarantee surviving 4 SpA neutral Florges' Moonblast from full health

On the utility set, you only need 204 speed to outpace max speed Jolly Garchomp. However it is outclassed in such a role by Aerodactyl who has all the same utility moves, higher speed, a higher offensive stat at the cost of losing little bulk, having a whole 5 less base HP, 15 less base defense and 5 less base special defense. I would move it below the specs set if not into OO as it is borderline viable in a metagame where both Aerodactyl and Talonflame exist, although Taunt is only OO material on the latter, but Tailwind certainly isn't.

Also, change "name:____" to the same as the header.

Last edited:

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
[...]it is outclassed in such a role by Aerodactyl who has all the same utility moves, higher speed, a higher offensive stat at the cost of losing little bulk, having a whole 5 less base HP, 15 less base defense and 5 less base special defense. I would move it below the specs set if not into OO as it is borderline viable in a metagame where both Aerodactyl and Talonflame exist, although Taunt is only OO material on the latter, but Tailwind certainly isn't.
The biggest reason to use utility Noivern is because it has more of an offensive presence than the other two, especially with Intimidate lurking around every corner. Aero may have higher base attack, but the base power of Rock Slide, Ice Fang, and Sky Drop are absolutely dreadful when compared to Draco (which will outdamage 2 turns of Aero's Rock Slide). Noivern just has a stronger attacking stat and STAB move then Talonflame. Noivern also doesn't break its sash on Rough Skin when checking Garchomp which has saved me quite a few games. It is also one of the few Tailwind users that doesn't absolutely loathe Rotom-W. Frisk also sets it apart to some degree.

[...]you only need 204 Speed EVs to outspeed Garchomp.[...]
No, you need 212 at least. 204 ties with Garchomp. I will admit I was using my own custom speed to creep on other mons aiming to outpace chomp only. This will be fixed in a jiffy.

I'm thinking don't bother with Switcheroo since TrickSpecs/TrickScarf isn't brilliant in doubles.[...]

<Choice Specs set>
I was hesitant about putting this set as a main as well, but it did well for me so I decided otherwise. The Specs set you suggested is mostly outclassed by Greninja and Salamence since Greninja has better SpA, similar Spe, Similar coverage (Ice Beam is similar to Draco), and can afford to use a Life Orb over Specs. Salamence has much better SpA, passable Spe, and has access to a better fire move than Noivern while being ever so slightly bulkier. Switcheroo sets it apart from these two just enough imo, and it also cripples one of Noivern's most dangerous switch ins: Azumaril. Switcheroo is also better on Noivern than on other choices mons because of Frisk which makes it usable in VGC imo.

More input on this would be appreciated because even if it worked for me, some people may have had worse luck with it.

[...]Also, change "name:___" to same as the header.
Will do; I guess based set names aren't as well accepted here as they are in other C&C sub forums ;-;

I will also change the spread on the Choiced spread to the modest one.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
No, you need 212 at least. 204 ties with Garchomp. I will admit I was using my own custom speed to creep on other mons aiming to outpace chomp only. This will be fixed in a jiffy.
Oops! misread. My bad.
I was hesitant about putting this set as a main as well, but it did well for me so I decided otherwise. The Specs set you suggested is mostly outclassed by Greninja and Salamence since Greninja has better SpA, similar Spe, Similar coverage (Ice Beam is similar to Draco), and can afford to use a Life Orb over Specs. Salamence has much better SpA, passable Spe, and has access to a better fire move than Noivern while being ever so slightly bulkier. Switcheroo sets it apart from these two just enough imo, and it also cripples one of Noivern's most dangerous switch ins: Azumaril. Switcheroo is also better on Noivern than on other choices mons because of Frisk which makes it usable in VGC imo.
Tbh, Greninja plays a different role to Noivern as it uses Protean to play mind games, so I wouldn't compare the two. But if I had to, I would make my argument for using Noivern its higher bulk combined with this high speed stat (which, while it doesn't make much difference in speed tiers, is higher than Greninja's base speed stat, forcing Greninja to run Timid if it wants to beat Noivern 100% of the time (cause not everyone runs smart spreads) excluding a rouge timid nature, but the timid Noivern isn't that common so it won't usually have issues doing that, which has a big effect on Greninjas special attack stat which, like Noivern's, isn't particularly high). Imo, Noivern is slightly better than mence as a specs user as it is 23 base speed faster at the cost of 10 HP and 13 SpA (base, obviously). It isn't hitting for THAT much less damage than Salamence and it isn't much less bulky, but it is much faster and can use either Frisk to scout or Infiltrator to hit that Aegislash when its behind a sub. Also mence prefers to hold a scarf as it hasn't got a brilliant speed tier and doesn't have a very good ability offensive ability to abuse, unlike Charizard-Y and Megakhan who share its speed tier. It gets Intimidate, but won't be switching out enough to put it to as good use as it could. It is not outclassed in that role, rather it faces stiff competition. If you insist on keeping Switcheroo though, I would suggest slashing it like this:

move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Air Slash / Hurricane
move 4: Boomburst / Switcheroo

mention in "Moves" only: U-turn - can be used over Flying-type STAB and alongside Switcheroo to take advantage of Frisk and switcheroo the correct pokemon
I will also change the spread on the Choiced spread to the modest one.
Just make sure to remember I got the speed EVs wrong XD. With 44 SpD on Noivern, 0 SpA Florges has a 6.3% chance to OHKO Noivern with Moonblast. Specify that. Edit: (I said special defense. not HP XD - just the set on the actual analysis now XD)

Edit 2: Move Taunt / Flamethrower to slot 3 and Draco Meteor to slot 2 on the utility set

Last edited:

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
Stuff and things about Noivern
I think I got all of that, Also swapped the sets which I forgot to do earlier :P

Im keeping 44 HP on the Utility set for now because sash lets it avoid OHKOs anyways

edit: I'm tempted to just throw max speed on there which is something I haven't really thought about while using it for some reason, who knows, might catch an overly eager Greninja off guard

more input will be needed before i make this change though

I would make the forth moveslot on the Choice Specs set U-Turn / Switcheroo / Boomburst. Boomburst is powerful but has poor coverage and hits your own Pokemon. U-Turn is useful for switching out on unfavourable match-ups, your Flying-type STAB is pretty useful given how Hurricane OHKOs amoonguss. Switcheroo can open Noivern up to be attacked and given how frail it is that can be pretty bad, however it does have some nice utility.

Having 15/16 chance to survive a 0 SpA Moonblast is pretty useless given how Florges has no problem setting up on Noivern, and that with no investment you have a 10/16 chance of surviving. On top of that florges is no where near common in enough to warrant investment.

The utility dragon set should probably have max Speed, with the bulkier spread mentioned.

I would include Super Fang in OO the it give Noivern a way to open Pokemon up to be KOed by partner Pokemon which would otherwise miss out on the KO from full health.

Martin

Having 15/16 chance to survive a 0 SpA Moonblast is pretty useless given how Florges has no problem setting up on Noivern, and that with no investment you have a 10/16 chance of surviving. On top of that florges is no where near common in enough to warrant investment.
I just dumped the EVs into a stat to let it survive something for the specs set as you don't want to be wasting EVs. This could be remidied by puting Bisharp and users of Poison Jab/Gunk Shot in team options to deal with Florges and other specially defensive Fairy-types.
The utility dragon set should probably have max Speed, with the bulkier spread mentioned.
Definitely the full speed spread for utility as it is not all out offense, unlike the Specs set.

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
Chenkovsky :

Added your changes; I completely spaced on Super Fang

I'm starting to think it deserves a Moves mention on the utility set because it does set up some neat KOes that can either save Noivern, its team mate, or -in quite a few cases involving Swaggeroo- both. It can also make up for the lack of power the bulky spread has.
I will test this for a bit tomorrow (I just happen to have an extra Heart Scale lying around) if no one has much experience in using it but it looks promising on paper .

Edit: Alrighty, Super Fang appears to be heavily match up reliant but it does a lot of work against some archetypes. Staying in OO until further notice

Last edited:
there isn't any mention of dragon pulse, i recommend that you slash it with draco meteor on both sets, notably the utility set so it can stay in more and harass.

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
there isn't any mention of dragon pulse, i recommend that you slash it with draco meteor on both sets, notably the utility set so it can stay in more and harass.
I added Dragon Pulse as a moves mention on the utility set for now, the power loss is very noticeable though and picking up OHKOes with Draco is generally preferred with an offensive pokemon that will only be in for 2-4 turns anyways.

TheMantyke lucariojr Laurel Biosci Pwnemon R Inanimate Audiosurfer

This should be ready for QC review

Hmm why not rename the first set choice and slash scarf? Also make sure in write up to say what infiltrator and frisk have uses for

i love noivern :D

but honestly its only set should be

Utility Dragon
########

a specs set is so niche the only thing that would work with it would be something like gothitelle or mega gengar to lock stuff up, especially when you could be running mence or hydreigon instead considering how powerful their dmeteors are compared to noivern's. you have to realize that noivern really isn't built to straight up ko stuff like other dragons (besides like chomper/non-scarfed hydrei/mence of course). so in that sense, the best things about noivern are 1) it helps check double dragon 2) super fang, which plays like helping hand 3) speed control with tailwind, which is a super rare/useful thing 4) access to a fast taunt, which helps against trick room and aegislash. noivern really pairs well with kanga, which appreciates tailwind and can help it set that up, and can just straight up wreck stuff with super fang+return. a timid nature is required since you get outsped by base 110's and scarf smeargle (also greninja, but greninja as a whole is a pretty bad mon).

in team options mention specific quick guard users, although i dont think any really pair well with noivern. really, just forget about trying to support noivern and focus on what benefits from noivern's presence.

in oo, put in boomburst, the specs set, dragon pulse, sunny day, swagger, air slash, and hurricane. id say put flamethrower here too but i guess it's pretty much its best coverage move against scizor and ferro (although that's all it really hits), so feel free to put that in AC. im not really sure why boomburst was even considered as a main set option and i doubt we'd be missing anything if we didn't include it in oo.

e: oh gamerboy suggested it that explains it

Remember to say ferrothorn and scizor here too in other options

"Flamethrower is used to hit Mawile decently hard and can be used with Infiltrator to troll Aegislash"

QC approved: 1/2

• Garchomp Check
  • Good movepool
  • Fantastic Speed
  • Frisk is a very nice ability
  • 'Meh' Special Attack
  • Not the best Bulk
  • Competition from Salamence and Aerodactyl (its a wierd bastardization of the two tbh)
the current overview is too long; i just removed a bunch of redundant stuff

otherwise QC 2/2

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Amcheck, hope this helps :)

edit: ahh sorry, I was typing this before I saw the placeholder!

Overview
########
(could put an empty line here)
Noivern is a very interesting and useful newcomer in to VGC 2014. It is the fastest un-boosted (no dash) Dragon-type in the format, (comma) which makes it an excellent check to non-Choice Scarf (I think that one needs a dash) Salamence, Hydreigon, and most importantly: (no colon) Garchomp. Unlike other Dragon-type Pokemon, Noivern's movepool gives it the ability to use a full supporting set successfully. Its ability Frisk is a very helpful ability to have in VGC so you don't get surprised by niche held items. Noivern's ability to support a VGC team and check other Dragon-types well is where it carves its niche despite its sub-standard Special Attack when compared to other Dragon-types of the format. Noivern's bulk is also sub-standard, so it will usually have to rely on a Focus Sash or heavy bulk investment in order to function properly. On top of this, Noivern also faces competition from Aerodactyl as a speedy support Pokemon and Salamence as a Dragon-type check. Noivern does have a very distinct place in the VGC format despite this. Its ability to check dangerous Dragon-types and provide speedy support is something no other Pokemon in the format can do.

Utility Dragon
########

Moves
========
Tailwind is one of the best speed control moves in the game. It gives Noivern the niche of a supportive Pokemon and should be used no matter what. Draco Meteor allows Noivern to check Dragon-types,; (comma instead of semicolon) some of the biggest threats in VGC 2014. Despite Noivern's mediocre Special Attack, Draco Meteor is still a 130 Base Power move boosted by STAB and can be used to dent any Pokemon that doesn't have a resistance or / immunity to it. (you talk about Tailwind first, but Draco Meteor is the first move in the set) Super Fang is an excellent option to run alongside Draco Meteor, as since its ability to halve HP puts a lot of Pokemon into Draco Meteor KO range and it isn't affected by Draco Meteor's Special Attack lowering side effect. It can also be used to set up KOes (the e is added when it's a verb) for Noivern's partner. Protect is almost a given on any VGC Pokemon that isn't carrying a Choice item. It allows Noivern to block Fake Out so its Focus Sash isn't broken before it can even move. Giving Noivern's partner turn to make Noivern's job easier is nice in general (sorry, i'm not sure what you mean here?). Taunt is used to shut down Trick Room setters from any setter other than Aromatisse. It and can also be used to cripple Smeargle and other pure support Pokemon as well.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed and Special Attack investment gives Noivern it the ability to outrun everything up to and including Greninja while still having Draco Meteor do as much damage as possible. A Focus Sash helps Noivern set up Tailwind despite its subpar (or a similar word) bulk problem and allows it to check Choice Scarf Dragon-types as long as Noivern hasn't taken prior damage. A bulkier spread of 156 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe with a Timid nature still allows Noivern to outpace Garchomp and allows it to forgo a Focus Sash if the item is needed elsewhere, but . If this isn't the case, then using Focus Sash and the main spread is always otherwise better.

Usage Tips
========
Always Protect against Fake Out users the first turn they are on the field. This guarantees that your Focus Sash will not be broken just for Noivern to flinch, or fall to a double target. If you suspect your opponent has a Choice Scarf Salamence or / Hydreigon was brought to the game, keeping Noivern's Focus Sash intact gives you another check to them which could be useful seeing how big of threats these two are. Set up Tailwind only when needed, as since the move only lasts four turns in total; two turns if your opponent has two Protect users on their side of the field. Tailwind also allows Noivern to check the scarfed Dragon-types listed above even if its Focus Sash has been broken. Use Super Fang to bring Pokemon into the KO range of Noivern's partner or Noivern's own Draco Meteor; not the other way around. Using Taunt on Trick Room users is always a good idea... if you can. If you suspect a Fake Out + Trick Room lead from your opponent, bringing Noivern to the battle may not be a good idea.

Team Options
========
Pokemon with very strong offensive presence are some of the best partners Noivern can have. Strong attackers, such as Mega Mawile and Choice Specs Gardevoir, that can flatten key Pokemon in a single turn, such as Mega Mawile and Choice Specs Gardevoir, discourage / and punish the opponent for a double targeting onto Noivern in order to KO it through its Focus Sash (this is confusing, I hope I understood your meaning?). These Pokemon also benefit greatly from Noivern's Tailwind. Mega Kangaskhan deserves its own mention, as since it has ridiculous offensive presence from the moment it is sent out, and can punish a double target on Noivern even greater than most with Parental Bond Power-Up Punch, and also loves appreciates Noivern's ability to KO having Garchomp KOed by Noivern. Mega Kangaskhan also enjoys Tailwind doubling its Speed. Rotom-H adores (kind of an odd word choice, but I'll leave it) having Dragon-types removed, especially Garchomp.

Other Options
########
Dragon Pulse is a 100% accurate alternative to Draco Meteor that doesn't have any negative after effects. However, it is pathetically weak when compared to Draco Meteor, and with Noivern's mediocre Special Attack and access to Super Fang to use after Draco Meteor is used, Draco Meteor is better. Flamethrower can be used to fry Ferrothorn and Scizor and do good damage to Bisharp and Mega Mawile, and it can be used to wear down Aegislash from behind its Substitute when used alongside Infiltrator. Hurricane is a strong STAB option on Noivern that most notably takes care of Amoonguss most notably. It works best when used on a Rain Dance team due to Hurricane's bad 70% accuracy outside of rain and crippling 50% accuracy in sun. Roost gives Noivern a recovery option and gives it the excellent pure Dragon typing for a turn. Only use it on the bulky spread because otherwise it isn't worth the moveslot. Telepathy is almost entirely inferior to Frisk or Infiltrator, but can be used on Discharge teams if need be.

Checks & Counters
########

**Tyranitar**: Tyranitar limits Noivern to only one 1 move by having Rock Slide or Ice Beam bring Noivern down to its Focus Sash and then having Sandstorm finish it off. The best thing Noivern can do is use Super Fang on Tyranitar.

**Mamoswine**: Mamoswine limits Noivern to one 1 turn with its priority Ice Shard, or Icicle Spear. It will get severely crippled by Draco Meteor should Noivern attack it though.

**Talonflame**: Talonflame limits Noivern to one 1 move by 2HKOing it with priority Brave Bird. It gets rocked by does not like taking a Draco Meteor though.

**Aerodactyl**: Aerodactyl outspeeds Noivern and threatens to 2HKO with Rock Slide as well as potentially flinching Noivern and its partner. It can also Taunt Noivern to make sure Tailwind won't be set up. Noivern can set up Tailwind to make use of turns though, (if it doesn't flinch) (this is confusing, as you just said Aerodactyl can prevent Noivern from setting up Tailwind; rephrase?).

**Paralysis**: Having Noivern's partner paralyzed is a major problem as it makes Noivern's Tailwind useless. Prankster Thunder Wave users are particularly annoying, especially. Klefki, which is immune to Draco Meteor also.

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
fleurdyleurse P Squared

Addressing the big comments:
Giving Noivern's partner turn to make Noivern's job easier is nice in general (sorry, i'm not sure what you mean here?).
This concept is a nightmare and a half to explain, so I just went with this:
Moves
========
Protect is almost a given on any VGC Pokemon that isn't carrying a Choice item. It allows Noivern to block Fake Out so its Focus Sash isn't broken before it can even move. Protecting Noivern for a turn is very useful in general.

Noivern can set up Tailwind to make use of turns though,(if it doesn't flinch) (this is confusing, as you just said Aerodactyl can prevent Noivern from setting up Tailwind; rephrase?).
I understand the confusion here, I rephrased it to this:
**Aerodactyl**: Aerodactyl outspeeds Noivern and threatens to 2HKO with Rock Slide as well as potentially flinching Noivern and its partner. Noivern can set up Tailwind if Aero isn't carrying Taunt to make use of two turns as a result, if it doesn't flinch. If Aerodactyl carries Taunt, then it can stop Noivern's Tailwind all together.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I assume that this is ready for a second check and the title hasn't been updated, since fleur stamped one before me. this is an amcheck, so it still needs 1 more stamp.

Overview
########

Noivern is a very interesting and useful newcomer to VGC 2014. It is the fastest unboosted Dragon-type in the format, which makes it an excellent check to non-Choice Scarf Salamence, Hydreigon, and most importantly, Garchomp. Unlike other Dragon-type Pokemon, Noivern's movepool gives it the ability to use a full supporting set successfully. Its ability, Frisk, is a very helpful ability to have in VGC aso you dwon't get surprised by niche held items. Noivern's ability to support a VGC team and check other Dragon-types well is where it carves its niche despite its sub-standard Special Attack when compared to other Dragon-types of the format. Noivern's bulk is also sub-standard, so it will usually have to rely on Focus Sash or heavy bulk investment in order to function properly. On top of this, Noivern also faces competition from Aerodactyl as a speedy support Pokemon and Salamence as a Dragon-type check. Despite this, Noivern does have a very distinct place in the VGC format despite this, as its ability to both check dangerous Dragon-types and provide speedy support is something no other Pokemon in the format can do. (I added "both" because you already mentioned Aero and Mence, who could do both of those things. I thought that you meant that Noivern was the only one of those who could do both)

Utility Dragon
########

Moves
========
Tailwind is one of the best speed control moves in the game. It gives Noivern the niche of a supportive Pokemon and should be used no matter what. Draco Meteor allows Noivern to check Dragon-types, some of the biggest threats in VGC 2014. Despite Noivern's mediocre Special Attack, Draco Meteor is still a 130 Base Power move boosted by STAB and can be used to dent any Pokemon that doesn't have a resistance or immunity to it. Super Fang is an excellent option to run alongside Draco Meteor, as its ability to halve HP puts a lot of Pokemon into Draco Meteor KO range and it isn't affected by Draco Meteor's Special Attack lowering side effect. It can also be used to set up KOs for Noivern's partner. Protect is almost a given on any VGC Pokemon that isn't carrying a Choice item. I, and it allows Noivern to block Fake Out so its Focus Sash isn't broken before it can even move. Protecting Noivern for a turn is also very useful in general. Taunt is used to shut down Trick Room setters other than Aromatisse and can also be used to cripple Smeargle and other pure support Pokemon.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed and Special Attack investment gives Noivern the ability to outrun everything up to and including Greninja while still having Draco Meteor do as much damage as possible. Focus Sash helps Noivern set up Tailwind despite its subpar bulk and allows it to check Choice Scarf Dragon-types as long as Noivern hasn't taken prior damage. A bulkier spread of 156 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe with a Timid nature still allows Noivern to outpace Garchomp and allows it to forgo a Focus Sash if the item is needed elsewhere, but the main spread is otherwise better.

Usage Tips
========
Always Protect against Fake Out users the first turn they are on the field. This guarantees that your Focus Sash will not be broken just forand Noivern won'to flinch or fall to a double target. If you suspect your opponent has a Choice Scarf Salamence or Hydreigon, keeping Noivern's Focus Sash intact gives you another check to them. Set up Tailwind only when needed, as the move only lasts four turns in total; two turns if your opponent has two Protect users on their side of the field. Tailwind also allows Noivern to check the scarfed Dragon-types listed above even if its Focus Sash has been broken. Use Super Fang to bring Pokemon into the KO range of Noivern's partner or Noivern's own Draco Meteor. Using Taunt on Trick Room users is always a good idea. If you suspect a Fake Out + Trick Room lead from your opponent, bringing Noivern to the battle may not be a good idea.

Team Options
========
Pokemon with very strong offensive presence are some of the best partners Noivern can have. Strong attackers that can flatten key Pokemon in a single turn, such as Mega Mawile and Choice Specs Gardevoir, discourage and punish the opponent for double targeting Noivern in order to KO it through its Focus Sash. These Pokemon also benefit greatly from Noivern's Tailwind. Mega Kangaskhan deserves its own mention, as it has ridiculous offensive presence from the moment it is sent out and can punish a double target on Noivern even greater than most with Parental Bond Power-Up Punch, and it also appreciates Noivern's ability to KO Garchomp. Mega Kangaskhan also enjoys Tailwind doubling its Speed. Rotom-H adores having Dragon-types removed, especially Garchomp.

Other Options
########
Dragon Pulse is a 100% accurate alternative to Draco Meteor that doesn't have any negative after effects. However, it is pathetically weak when compared to Draco Meteor and with Noivern's mediocre Special Attack and access to Super Fang, Draco Meteor is betteroutclasses it. Flamethrower can be used to fry Ferrothorn and Scizor and, do good damage to Bisharp and Mega Mawile, and it can be used to wear down Aegislash from behind its Substitute when used alongside Infiltrator. Hurricane is a strong STAB option that most notably takes care of Amoonguss. It works best when used on a Rain Dance team due to Hurricane's bad 70% accuracy outside of rain and crippling 50% accuracy in sun. Roost gives Noivern a recovery option and gives it the excellent pure Dragon typing for a turn. O, however, only use it on the bulky spread because otherwise it isn't worth the moveslot. Telepathy is almost entirely inferior to Frisk or Infiltrator, but can be used on Discharge teams if need be.

Checks &amp; Counters
########

**Tyranitar**: Tyranitar limits Noivern to only one move by havattacking turn, because Rock Slide orand Ice Beam bring Noivern down to its Focus Sash and then having Sandstorm finishes it off. The best thing Noivern can do is use Super Fang on Tyranitar.

**Mamoswine**: Mamoswine limits Noivern to one turn with its priority Ice Shard, or Icicle Spear. It will get severely crippled by Draco Meteor should Noivern attack it, though.

**Talonflame**: Talonflame limits Noivern to one moveturn by 2HKOing it with priority Brave Bird. I, however, it does not like taking a Draco Meteor though.

**Aerodactyl**: Aerodactyl outspeeds Noivern and threatens to 2HKO with Rock Slide as well asnd potentially flinching Noivern and its partner. Noivern can set up Tailwind if Aerodactyl isn't carrying Taunt to make use of twoand outspeed it next turns as a result, if it doesn't flinch. If Aerodactyl carries Taunt, then it can stop Noivern's Tailwind all together.

**Paralysis**: Having Noivern's partner paralyzed is a major problem as it makes Noivern's Tailwind useless. Prankster Thunder Wave users are particularly annoying, especially Klefki, which is immune to Draco Meteor.

Overview
########

Noivern is a very interesting and useful newcomer to VGC 2014. It is the fastest unboosted Dragon-type in the format, which makes it an excellent check to non-Choice Scarf Salamence, Hydreigon, and most importantly, Garchomp. Unlike other Dragon-type Pokemon, Noivern's movepool gives it the ability to use a full supporting set successfully. Its ability, Frisk, is a very helpful ability to have in VGC as you won't get surprised by niche held items. Noivern's ability to support a VGC team and check other Dragon-types well is where it carves its niche despite its sub-standard Special Attack when compared to other Dragon-types of the format. Noivern's bulk is also sub-standard, so it will usually have to rely on Focus Sash or heavy bulk investment in order to function properly. On top of this, Noivern also faces competition from Aerodactyl as a speedy support Pokemon and Salamence as a Dragon-type check. Despite this, Noivern does have a very distinct place in the VGC format, as its ability to both check dangerous Dragon-types and provide speedy support is something no other Pokemon in the format can do.

Utility Dragon
########

Moves
========
Tailwind is one of the best speed control moves in the game. It gives Noivern the niche of a supportive Pokemon and should be used no matter what. Draco Meteor allows Noivern to check Dragon-types, some of the biggest threats in VGC 2014. Despite Noivern's mediocre Special Attack, Draco Meteor is still a 130 Base Power move boosted by STAB and can be used to dent any Pokemon that doesn't have a resistance or immunity to it. Super Fang is an excellent option to run alongside Draco Meteor, as its ability to halve HP puts a lot of Pokemon into Draco Meteor KO range and it isn't affected by Draco Meteor's Special Attack lowering side effect. It can also be used to set up KOs for Noivern's partner. Protect is almost a given on any VGC Pokemon that isn't carrying a Choice item, and it allows Noivern to block Fake Out so its Focus Sash isn't broken before it can even move. Protecting Noivern for a turn is also very useful in general. Taunt is used to shut down Trick Room setters other than Aromatisse and can also be used to cripple Smeargle and other pure support Pokemon.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed and Special Attack investment gives Noivern the ability to outrun everything up to and including Greninja while still having Draco Meteor do as much damage as possible. Focus Sash helps Noivern set up Tailwind despite its subpar bulk and allows it to check Choice Scarf Dragon-types as long as Noivern hasn't taken prior damage. A bulkier spread of 156 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe with a Timid nature still allows Noivern to outpace Garchomp and forgo a Focus Sash if the item is needed elsewhere, but the main spread is otherwise better.

Usage Tips
========
Always Protect against Fake Out users the first turn they are on the field. This guarantees that your Focus Sash will not be broken and Noivern won't flinch or fall to a double target. If you suspect your opponent has a Choice Scarf Salamence or Hydreigon, keeping Noivern's Focus Sash intact gives you another check to them. Set up Tailwind only when needed, as the move only lasts four turns in total; two turns if your opponent has two Protect users on their side of the field. Tailwind also allows Noivern to check the scarfed Dragon-types listed above even if its Focus Sash has been broken. Use Super Fang to bring Pokemon into the KO range of Noivern's partner or Noivern's own Draco Meteor. Using Taunt on Trick Room users is always a good idea. If you suspect a Fake Out + Trick Room lead from your opponent, bringing Noivern to the battle may not be a good idea.

Team Options
========
Pokemon with very strong offensive presence are some of the best partners Noivern can have. Strong attackers that can flatten key Pokemon in a single turn, such as Mega Mawile and Choice Specs Gardevoir, discourage and punish the opponent for double targeting Noivern in order to KO it through its Focus Sash. These Pokemon also benefit greatly from Noivern's Tailwind. Mega Kangaskhan deserves its own mention, as it has ridiculous offensive presence from the moment it is sent out and can punish a double target on Noivern even greater than most with Parental Bond Power-Up Punch, and it also appreciates Noivern's ability to KO Garchomp. Mega Kangaskhan also enjoys Tailwind doubling its Speed. Rotom-H adores having Dragon-types removed, especially Garchomp.

Other Options
########
Dragon Pulse is a 100% accurate alternative to Draco Meteor that doesn't have any negative after effects. However, it is pathetically weak when compared to Draco Meteor and with Noivern's mediocre Special Attack and access to Super Fang, Draco Meteor outclasses it. Flamethrower can be used to fry Ferrothorn and Scizor, do good damage to Bisharp and Mega Mawile, and wear down Aegislash from behind its Substitute when used alongside Infiltrator. Hurricane is a strong STAB option that most notably takes care of Amoonguss. It works best when used on a Rain Dance team due to Hurricane's bad 70% accuracy outside of rain and crippling 50% accuracy in sun. Roost gives Noivern a recovery option and gives it the excellent pure Dragon typing for a turn, however, only use it on the bulky spread because otherwise it isn't worth the moveslot. Telepathy is almost entirely inferior to Frisk or Infiltrator, but can be used on Discharge teams if need be.

Checks & Counters
########

**Tyranitar**: Tyranitar limits Noivern to only one attacking turn, because Rock Slide and Ice Beam bring Noivern down to its Focus Sash and Sandstorm finishes it off. The best thing Noivern can do is use Super Fang on Tyranitar.

**Mamoswine**: Mamoswine limits Noivern to one turn with its priority Ice Shard or Icicle Spear. It will get severely crippled by Draco Meteor should Noivern attack it, though.

**Talonflame**: Talonflame limits Noivern to one turn by 2HKOing it with priority Brave Bird, however, it does not like taking a Draco Meteor.

**Aerodactyl**: Aerodactyl outspeeds Noivern and threatens to 2HKO with Rock Slide and potentially flinch Noivern and its partner. Noivern can set up Tailwind if Aerodactyl isn't carrying Taunt and outspeed it next turn, if it doesn't flinch. If Aerodactyl carries Taunt, then it can stop Noivern's Tailwind all together.

**Paralysis**: Having Noivern's partner paralyzed is a major problem as it makes Noivern's Tailwind useless. Prankster Thunder Wave users are particularly annoying, especially Klefki, which is immune to Draco Meteor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)