1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon Noivern

Discussion in 'OverUsed' started by Molk, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Tribute

Tribute

His U-turn will hit for shit either way, its basically just to frisk scout and get the switch, so just go timid.

I still just don't get boomburst, nerf special moves, 140 BP 100% acc move with no drawback that hits through subs.

Its limited to sub 100 SpA, but still
  2. II Carbonix II

II Carbonix II

I've been using the following set

Noivern@ life orb
    252 Spa 252 Spe 4Hp
    Frisk

Draco meteor
    Boomburst
    Flamethrower
    U-turn

It is very good at scouting the opponents team for move sets/items and it hits decently hard but it is sadly walled hard by heatran. It can only u-turn out for appitance. All in all though I find the power of Draco meteor to be pretty good and it's speed allows it to outspeed a lot of mons.

I'm kind of new to smogon and competitive battling so forgive me if this post doesn't sound right but I've been using it on pokemon showdown and it has been quite substantial in gaining momentum for my team. I feel noivern is an underrated threat in Ou but it can be handy in certain situations.
    katsudon likes this.
  3. PokeAJ

PokeAJ

I'm really having trouble figuring out EV spread beyond 252 in SAtk. Should it go to speed, special d, HP, or a combo? BTW, when people put Spd do they mean speed or special defense?
  4. meb9000

meb9000

I'd say that Speed is the way to go with Noivern. His specialty is to hit fast and hard or simply U-turn out of there. Noivern doesn't seem to have the bulk to withstand any punishment anyway.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  5. Mecawallace

Mecawallace

The biggest problem with Noivern is that so many people carry a poke with Ice Shard due to the need to kill Garchomp, Dragonite, and Gliscor. Noivern is just one more 4x Ice Weakness added to the list. It makes me regret not having an Ice Sharder on my team...

Man, I gotta get me a Mamoswine.
  6. XiaLouis

XiaLouis

Thanks for the nice reply. Put my mind at ease. I'm gonna test it out a bit. Probably gonna run u-turn with infiltrator anyways and see how it works.
  7. FrostbiteKelvin

FrostbiteKelvin

Hi guys!
    I'm new to Smogon but I've been reading the forums for a while now.

Two things:
    1.- If we're using Frisk, wouldn't be nice to try Torment? If you see a Choice band/scarf/specs you'll force your oponent to struggle the next turn or force a switch. If he stays (and survive) you can U-turn and send any ghost you have arround or any counter for the like.
    2.- I'm pretty interested in trying Noivern, does anyone have any spare to share with some trained IVs?
  8. >>><<<

>>><<<

1. Too situational. You're going to be using up a precious moveslot to run Torment just in case you run into Choice users. Noivern really shouldn't be trying gimmicks at all, it should be making use of that great speed stat to hit fast and hit hard when it's on the field.

2. Not me (✌゚∀゚)✌
  9. jle1076

jle1076

But Mega Gengar outspeeds and OHKOs every time lol
  10. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

I don't think you read the first line of his post.
  11. Stagger Lee

Stagger Lee

I'm running a Mega Banette/Noivern lead and Sucker Punching Mega Gengar out of the way/forcing a switch seems to work nicely.
  12. BumblebeeCody

BumblebeeCody

Plus Air Cutter.
  13. stage7_4

stage7_4

Air Cutter doesn't bypass subs on it's own. With infiltrator it can, but it's so weak why would you use it over Boomburst/Infiltrator-Draco Meteor? Heck, why not use air slash or Hurricane with infiltrator if you're desperate to have a flying move?
    >>><<< likes this.
  14. BumblebeeCody

BumblebeeCody

Yeah true. Infiltrator is such a damn good ability.
  15. ManuR8

ManuR8

What is the best ability for this pokemon? Frisk or infiltrator?
  16. BumblebeeCody

BumblebeeCody

Infiltrator completely bypsses reflect, light screen etc, essentially giving the middle finger to Klefki and it's team buffs not only that but (in Generation VI) allows you to hit a Pokemon that used Substitute. Easy ability
    Frisk will let you see the opponents item and use moves such as thief to turn use against them(Leftover/life orb etc). Strategic ability.

Depends on what you're going for.
    I'm using Frisk though Infiltrator is worth breeding/ability capsuling.
  17. Dallasboi1992

Dallasboi1992

I saw that Noivern gets Switcheroo as an egg move so MAYBE a Frisk + Switcheroo choice set could be cool to cripple walls, but may be too gimmicky. Just the creative side of my mind functioning here.
  18. TheTtarManCan

TheTtarManCan

I have been using a Noivern that is identical to yours in almost every way and it has been to doing very well. The only difference with mine is that I have Taunt instead of Draco meteor. I find that Taunt works to make Noivern a sort of anti-lead capable of stopping SR and Sticky web. Draco meteor is pretty redundant with Boomburst and forces you to switch, potentially letting them set up on you.
  19. Namson

Namson

hidden power ground instead of boomburst?
  20. TheTtarManCan

TheTtarManCan

Hidden power, ironically, doesn't pack enough power for Noivern. It's only real use would be to hit Heatran and Magnezone for 4x super-effective, but they would likely survive the hit and can run Air balloon. Remember that Noivern's base SpA is less than 100.
  21. Fundance

Fundance

A switcheroo specs set on something this fast sounds amazing tbh. I'm loving Noivern's utility.

I'm also loving the fact that it's kind of like a Crobat that Weavile can actually outspeed and OKO. hahaha.
  22. TheTtarManCan

TheTtarManCan

Agreed. It makes me sad when I see others just slap Infiltrator and Draco meteor on it. Sure, it can work, but Noivern can be so much more interesting than that! It should also be noted that Frisk synergizes really well with Switcheroo.
  23. Fundance

Fundance

Right, but once your opponent sees you have Frisk, I doubt they're going to stay in and let you switcheroo their tank. That's the only real problem I see with this strategy.

Still if it forces switches, that's a good thing. Making your opponent guess between their wall being gimped or a stab specced draco meteor to the face is a good trait to have.
  24. TheTtarManCan

TheTtarManCan

Just because Noivern has Frisk doesn't mean that you are running switcheroo. I am currently running taunt instead of switcheroo on my lead Noivern along with three attacks. Noivern has many different uses and should never be predictable.
  25. Zemyla

Zemyla

Conversely, just because it's running Infiltrator doesn't mean it's not running Switcheroo. Switcheroo, U-turn, and two attacks with a scarf could do quite nicely on an Infiltrator set.

Has anyone checked whether Noibat can be bred Sing? A fast 55% crapshoot that hits through subs could be usable.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)