1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Nominating Erebyssial for PR

Discussion in 'Private' started by whistle, Jan 4, 2011.

1. whistle

whistle
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Always had a pretty good impression of him from interactions in Stark Mountain and C&C. Just spent about half an hour looking for specific posts but if you've ever tried to do that, you know it is hard as FUK to find "good posts" if you aren't trying to find a specific post. (Especially since you are limited to the 50 most recent results by the search function...) So I do not claim that these are his best posts, nor do I claim that they are paragons of brilliance... they are just some examples of decent posts.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81540 -- has a brief exchange on pages 2-3 (40 ppp); he responds maturely to specific arguments and makes distinctions between similar concepts.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82888 -- page 1; displays accurate knowledge and a practical mindset.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58960 -- tons of posts here, apparently he plays a lot!; shows intelligent discussion of metagame trends.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84337 -- his first post is nothing special but I was impressed with his second and third ones; ignore the side that he is arguing since this is a contentious issue, but instead notice that he brought up new arguments in favor of his stance rather than simply stubbornly repeating the same old arguments brought up by the 91273123 posters before him.

He also voted in 3-2 and 3-3 from what I can tell (confirmed alts in those two threads).
  2. undisputed

undisputed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Frontier Lackeyis a Past WCoP Winner

I agree. I was pretty impressed by his posting too, actually. He would make an excellent PR member.
  3. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

oh cool we can do this now?

i tried to look through their posts but they are a bitch and a half to find could you please link to actual posts or their user profile page because it seems like you're referring to specific posts and i don't want to vote on someone based on the random one line post i managed to find after 3-4 minutes of reading each thread
  4. whistle

whistle
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

5. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

thanks whistle

I'm not terribly impressed here - he makes a sweeping general statement that since the move is based on luck it is inherently worth banning, then when counterarguments are brought up (hydro pump) he dismisses those as a luck tradeoff. It seems he completely missed the implicit point, that DT / OHKO are similar tradeoffs that are more extreme, so a hard stance on "ban unnecessary luck" is not logically sound.

other than that looks like he's pretty good - we certainly have far stupider posters in PR
  6. whistle

whistle

the deal is three in favor and a week, right? the "how to nominate" thread isn't very clear on the accepted plan but that's the only proposal as far as I can tell.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)