Non-PokeBank OU (Help a newbie out)

So this is my first attempt at an OU team, or any team in general. Been messing around with it on Showdown! and the results have been decent considering my skill as of now. I will not have access to Pokebank when it releases so I tried to chose my abilities accordingly. So please call out anything you see wrong, and of course tear my team to shreds so I can improve it! :)

Support

Tentacruel @ Blacksludge | Liquid Ooze (Rain Dish ASAP)
Timid | HP 252 / Def 240 / Spe 16
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Giga Drain / Ice Beam

I am really liking Tentacruel as my Rapid Spin support. Building it physically defensive makes landing a burn with Scald relatively easy, and it allows me a turn to get out a layer of Toxic Spikes. I have been using Ice Beam lately and while I like the coverage against dragons I am thinking about giving Giga Drain to try to deal with bulky water types like Rotom-W, as well as give an additional source of HP. Tentacruel for me doesn't have a lot of issues with fainting, however since it is the only member who has Rapid Spin on my team I would like to keep it alive.

Special Wall

Goodra @ Leftovers/Damp Rock | Hydration
Jolly | HP 252 / SpD 236 / Spe 20
- Rain Dance
- Rest
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail

Goodra has surprisingly been pulling its own weight on my team, even with all the bad comments I have been reading on it. The combination of Hydration and Rain Dance is extremely helpful with keeping it alive since the only HP restoring move I've noticed for it is Rest. The only real weakness I have noticed is that against a Klefki my Goodra literally cannot do anything. Any other time I am able to use Toxic, and Dragon Tail them into a new Pokemon, which I can then keep spreading poison to the entire team (with this method, Goodra took out an entire team alone). Another weakness I have noticed is against Psyshock, which I'm not sure if that is just special walls in general or what.

Physical Wall

Skarmory @ Shed Shell/Leftovers | Sturdy
Impish | HP 252 / Def 232 / Spe 24
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird / Taunt

Skarmory has been a decent hazard setter on my team, and great for Whirlwinding away any physical sweeper that gets a stat boost (like mega kangaskan). I also very much enjoy the ability to set up hazards with relative ease, as well as the great healing it has with Roost. On another note, I haven't had many chances to use Brave Bird, but I'm not really sure I want to completely forgo all damage and swap in taunt.

Special Sweeper

Volcarona @ Lum Berry/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf | Flame Body
Timid | SpA 252 / Spe 252 / HP 4
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Hurricane
- Bug Buzz

Haven't really had a chance to use this (not so) little bug. But with the games I have played where he came in use, Lum Berry seemed to offer the most success, Especially against steel types who attempt to poison it. And because my Goodra has Rain Dance, I did not want this member to be completely neutered, so Hurricane seemed like a great idea to add to the set.

Physical Sweeper

Garchomp @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf | Rough Skin
Jolly | Atk 252 / Spe 252 / HP 4
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw / Aqua Tail
- Fire Fang

This guy. Garchomp has won me so many games it is not even right. I don't know what else to say besides this thing is a powerhouse. He is my main answer to electric types who try to damage my Tentacruel, and it is especially nice to be able to safely switch into stealth rocks when my Tentacruel is down. However I am unsure if I want or even need Dragon Claw because of the power that Outrage offers, usually by the time it ends it is a good idea to swap out and try to set up again. However, Garchomp has also OHKOed himself because of a stray swagger I didn't think about because he was out sped, so I am thinking about using a Choice Scarf for the speed, but I am uncertain.

Mixed Sweeper/Sash + Sub breaker

Cloyster @ King's Rock | Skill Link
Jolly | Atk 252 / Spe 252 / HP 4
- Shell Smash
- Rock Blast
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard / Razor Shell

This member of my team has not been able to offer a lot honestly. This I feel is mostly due to the large amount of Steel types I have been running into. However Cloyster has successfully taken out stall tactic teams who try to use substitute to stay alive, which may or may not be worth the spot on my team. I also love the utility the King's Rock adds with the multi-hit moves that Cloyster brings, more times than not causing the target to flinch, which is extremely nice for 2HKOing targets.

So now for closing statements. Thank you for reading, and please point out any improvements you would make! Also thank you in advance for any help! :)

Side Note: I do not know if Mega Garchomp would be a good choice or not because of the ability change, I feel that it would benefit more in a sandstorm team if I were to use that. Also I don't know if using Life Orb on either Volcarona or Garchomp would be a good idea or not. Any advice here is greatly appreciated! :)

I do like your team, and it has some nice coverage. My main concern is your Cloyster. While the idea of King's Rock + Skill Link makes a good combination, shell-smashing makes you completely vulnerable, as you have to hope that your opponent doesn't have a high damage/priority move to get off. As cliche as it is, I would recommend giving it a focus sash, although if King's Rock is working for you, it's best to ignore this piece of advice.

You also don't want your physical wall (Skarmory) taking damage, as the whole point is so that it has as much health as possible. Aerial Ace or something similar would be a much better choice, although my recommendation is taunt, and here is why. If Goodra has poisoned a good deal of pokemon, blissey and other healers/walls cannot heal nor use aromatherapy. You mention that Klefki is quite an annoying counter to some of your team members, so taunt would easily take care of your problems.

I do like your team though, a mix of originality and common sets that are popular in the Pokemon community. ^-^

I do like your team, and it has some nice coverage. My main concern is your Cloyster. While the idea of King's Rock + Skill Link makes a good combination, shell-smashing makes you completely vulnerable, as you have to hope that your opponent doesn't have a high damage/priority move to get off. As cliche as it is, I would recommend giving it a focus sash, although if King's Rock is working for you, it's best to ignore this piece of advice.

You also don't want your physical wall (Skarmory) taking damage, as the whole point is so that it has as much health as possible. Aerial Ace or something similar would be a much better choice, although my recommendation is taunt, and here is why. If Goodra has poisoned a good deal of pokemon, blissey and other healers/walls cannot heal nor use aromatherapy. You mention that Klefki is quite an annoying counter to some of your team members, so taunt would easily take care of your problems.

I do like your team though, a mix of originality and common sets that are popular in the Pokemon community. ^-^
Focus sash actually sounds like it may be a huge fix to my Cloyster, as he often gets destroyed before I can start doing anything, shell smash is a bitch to get off safely lol.

Also, I think you pretty much sold me on taunt xD it would certainly help with Klefki, and would be nice against a Blissey. Thank you! :)

Nice team, first of all. And welcome to Showdown and Smogon! I go by Deadflame and Avarice13 on Showdown, so if you see me lurking, don't be a stranger! I'm in the OU Room. Now, to the rate!

Ice Beam is a lot better than Giga Drain due to Dragons, which are still around.

Psyshock is a huge weakness of almost every special wall.

Use Fire Blast on Volcarona. A plus zero Fire Blast, even in Rain, outdamages a plus 1 Fiery Dance.

On Garchomp, no Dragon Claw. It sucks. Use Aqua Tail and Stone Edge. No Fire Fang. Stone Edge kills opposing Volc and Talonflame.

I highly recommend you to put a Sash on Cloyster. It just makes him so much better.

Also, no Mega Chomp. 311 speed is too low to sweep. 333 speed isn't even enough to sweep without a Scarf.

I look forward to seeing you around. Remember, you can always come to me for help! Much Ludvisc!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)