1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Non-Weather OU offensive team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by blurple77, Mar 19, 2012.

1. blurple77

blurple77

Well this is my OU team. It works well most of the time, winning the majority of games. But I usually get stuck in the ladder and can't advance any further and am open to any suggestions on how to improve the team. Oh and sorry about the lack of pictures but my computer was being retarded and wouldn't allow me to paste any images.

THE TEAM

Azelf @ Light Clay
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 hp; 4 defense; 252 speed
    Nature: Jolly (+speed, -special attack)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Taunt
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    Azelf functions as my Dual Screens/Stealth Rock lead. Its unexpected because most of the time dual screens is set up by a defensive pokemon. I taunt if I think the pokemon is going to use taunt or stealth rock/spikes/twave/etc to keep Dragonite's multiscale intact mostly. If I see a dnite and/or sturdy pokemon then sometimes I set up Stealth Rock before screens. But if I think their lead is going to attack I will set up the appropriate screen which also functions as preventing Azelf from being OHKO'd. He then usually dies setting up the other screen and sometimes stealth rock. If he survives I usually send him in later to set up a dying screen or taunt something that is then forced to switch out or is crippled.

Gorebyss @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Hydration
    EVs: 28 hp; 252 special attack; 228 speed
    Nature: Modest (+special attack, -attack)
    - Shell Smash
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Hidden Power Grass
    Gorebyss is my main special sweeper. I send her in on something that would like to twave or toxic her and counter with the lum berry. It works well and she can almost always get off a smash boost and then proceed to sweep. Ferrothorn, Toxicroak, Gyarados, Tentacruel, and special walls like blissey give her the most trouble. Also, Choice Scarf Rotom-W outspeeds and KO's her even after 1 smash. If I don't see a major status inducer in team preview then I send her in on a physical attacker because she can still usually take a hit due to her fantastic defense. She also counters Scizor well, able to take 3 bullet punches most of the time. The given EVs and nature allow her to outspeed everything with 130 base speed and slower that isn't scarfed after a shell smash and be as powerful as possible. I'm really happy with Gorebyss and she probably takes out at least 2 pokemon a game pretty consistently.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 hp; 252 attack; 4 speed
    Nature: Adamant (+attack, -special attack)
    - Wish
    - Body Slam
    - Fire Punch
    - Iron Head
    Jirachi is my dragon counter as the only steel type on my team. He also counters Scizor, easily taking a bullet punch and then OHKOing with fire punch. Similarly but less effectively he counters Ferrothorn. Rain gives him trouble though, allowing all steel types to take his fire punches pretty easily. The given EVs and nature are for proper bulk while still maintaining an offensive presence. Heatran completely walls him though. Also, I don't find many good opportunities to use wish, and in fact most often use it as a dying move to switch into dragonite to get rid of stealth rock damage, so I would be open to suggestions for replacing wish or altering him in another way.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 4 hp; 252 attack; 252 speed
    Nature: Adamant (+attack, -special attack)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Extremespeed
    - Brick Break
    - Outrage
    Dragonite is my main physical sweeper. Without stealth rock he can set up a Dragon Dance or two and then sweep. Extremespeed is for revenge killing, outspeeding priority, and in case of paralysis. Brick Break is for neutral coverage against everything and taking down screens with Outrage as the primary STAB choice. Will-o-wisp and paralysis cripple him and if i see a burn coming I usually switch to Gorebyss. I run Adamant over Jolly because most things faster after a Dragon Dance can't KO him (so I can just ddance again) or are OHKO'd by extremespeed

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 hp; 252 special attack; 252 speed
    Nature: Timid (+speed, -attack)
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunderbolt
    - Giga Drain
    - Trick
    Gengar is my versatile special attacker. He can come in on any eviolite pokemon and trick them and come in on most pokemon (scarfed or not) and do massive amounts of damage to them. He revenge kills the likes of Latios, most Starmie, Skarmory, and other pokes very well. Tbolt and giga drain are for coverage with gengar's STAB shadow ball. Trick locks pokemon into moves and is a nightmare for walls like blissey and gliscor. Trick also helps to set up my sweepers by locking an enemy poke into a move and sacrificing gengar in the process and then switching to the appropriate pokemon. Also the given EVs still allow him to act like any other gengar after a trick.

Mienshao @ Life Orb
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 4hp; 252 attack; 252 speed
    Nature: Jolly (+speed, -special attack)
    - Fake Out
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge
    Mienshao scouts and revenge kills for me with fake out + U-turn. Stone Edge is mostly for dragons but can also be used on other pokes such as volcarona. Hi Jump Kick is my primary stab and is mostly used for taking out Ferrothorn and Heatran which usually give my team trouble. She is countered by anything faster because she is so frail so most of the time I'm just using Fake Out plus U-turn no matter what to do bits of damage here and there and scout. However I don't use ambipom for this because of Mienshao's ability to take out troublesome steel types and some dragons.

Summary
    This team is all about setting up Gorebyss and Dragonite for a sweep while still maintaining an offensive presence if they go down. Most of my major threats can be checked by a member of this team but if they go down then some threats I can't do anything about.

Main Threat List:

Ferrothorn--If Mienshao goes down then nothing on my team can OHKO him and in the rain some ferrothorn's can't even be 2HKO'd.

Scizor--If Jirachi goes down then Scizor is trouble because the only other pokemon that isn't raped by bullet punch is Gorebyss

Rain--Rain helps most of this team's threats and the only poke it helps is Gorebyss which is walled by Toxicroak, Tentacruel, Ferrothorn and to some extent Gyaradoswhich are very common on rain teams

Stall Teams--I often have trouble against stall teams and I haven't found a good way to handle them really.
  2. Draycos7

Draycos7

Hey,
    This is a really cool team. One change I recommend is to put Fire Punch on Dragonite instead of BB, unless you really have to take down screens. This grants unresisted coverage alongside Outrage. I would also consider BP on Gorebyss somewhere to help the rest of your team.
  3. blurple77

blurple77

I used to have fire punch on Dragonite but Heatran completely stopped him then. I've thought about switching to Earthquake but then i would still have to hit him with extremespeed first because of the prevalence of air balloon. Most people expect BP on Gorebyss and Gorebyss's own good special attack and coverage usually doesn't necessitate a BP. But I'll consider the BP.
  4. eccenditto

eccenditto

can you really call something your main special sweeper if it has trouble taking down that man pokemon? HP electric gives gorebyss better coverage than hp grass and allows you to hit gyarados and tentacruel for super effective damage.
  5. blurple77

blurple77

ur right eccenditto. I'll definitely change gorebyss's hp from grass to electric. Thank you!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)