Let's Play! Normal Type Only Run - HGSS

Would you like to try this?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Think of how interesting this would be in HeartGold or SoulSilver.

There's a Ghost type gym and a Fighting type gym, which could be quite challenging.

You have quite a bit of options with unique roles available.

There are 16 gym badges to collect with only Normal type Pokemon (One in Kanto being a rock gym >.< )

There are quite a bit of options as well.
http://www.smogon.com/gs/types/normal
(Generally these are the pokemon you will find but there will be some newer ones after the main story from newer generations)

Normal types have access to so many different moves that you can mix up a bunch of different sets as well.

I've been thinking about this for a while now and I started it this morning (to catch a Sentret).

Just wanna see how many people would be up for this, it sounds like its fun but it also sounds difficult. I'll just advise that you pick up the Girafarig at some point. It also might be easier to do this run with the Physical/Special split they implemented in Gen 4.

*Edit*
I just realized there are Ghastly in Bellsprout Tower...
Your rival also picks one up I believe....
HAVE FUN

*Edit*
This run is very possible. I've swept Morty with a Meowth and Chuck with a combo of Girafarig and Togetic.
So far so good

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you want a challenge you can use smeargle too, but what do you think of Porygon and Togekiss, if you want someone would be able to evolve to polygon-z i think, i can help too but im on holiday tuesday-friday

I think the Togekiss will be enough, the Porygon-Z doesn't feel too necessary (although it really is an amazing Pokemon). I just think a full normal type team has too many fragile Pokemon and the Togekiss can partially make up for that.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Pidgeot seems like something you could try to work with. I've played through the game with Togetic, and I can say that once Togepi evolves, Togetic itself isn't bad at all.

Pidgeot seems like something you could try to work with. I've played through the game with Togetic, and I can say that once Togepi evolves, Togetic itself isn't bad at all.
Theres a Shiny Stone in National Park lying on the ground somewhere, meaning a Togekiss could come as soon as I wanted. I'd love to pick up Pidgeot, but I gave Fearow a chance already and I've seen the only thing its good for is Fly and small damage moves. A Noctowl would be more preferable to me, but I'll go with the Togekiss because I've never even used a Togetic before.

Girafarig could help with his Psychic Type. But I can't remember when you catch it ... But Psychic > Fighting & Ghost/Poison for the two "difficult gym".

Girafarig could help with his Psychic Type. But I can't remember when you catch it ... But Psychic > Fighting & Ghost/Poison for the two "difficult gym".
Route 43 & 48, near Mahogony Town.
I have two different plans in mind.
A) Use Furret's Surf to beat morty and then pick up Girafarig
B) Walk through the mountain to see if I can make my way over there (I think I can)

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You can also use the Tauros from near 4th gym, i think it would be a great Pokemon although it wont have good synergy

Do you use eevee, it is after all normal type

You can also use the Tauros from near 4th gym, i think it would be a great Pokemon although it won't have good synergy
Yeah, it's always been in my mind considering it was OU the first generation and kept to it's functions in Johto. But I'm not sure because it seems like a lead that doesn't help the team and only dishes out damage.

Genuine question: do we not have a general mono-type challenge thread?

As for mono-Normal, to be honest I don't see it as being much worse than any other type. There are more than enough Normal/Flying's to cover for fighting types. Ghosts are easily dealt with by the very common Bite/Crunch that lots of normal types get, and there's often enough good general coverage to be able to hit rocks and steels at least neutrally.

Have fun with Chuck.

In all seriousness, I had half a team of normal types when I played Soul Silver and I ended up having to smokescreen stuff (Mostly poliwrath, that jerk) because I couldn't survive any other way (Stupid double team focus punch).

On a side note I don't know what to suggest. I've love to suggest stantler but I know it's not that great so that's not gonna work probably.

Also Morty is easy. Heck, Gengar's a pushover if you have an insomnia noctowl (It can't sleep you, and the only way it can damage you is with sucker punch, so once you stall those five turns that specific pokémon is out for the count)

EDIT: Oh yeah, you can get Girafarig before Chuck (You can definitely go to Mahogany before going left due to Mt. Mortar connecting both sides without obstruction)

Route 43 & 48, near Mahogony Town.
I have two different plans in mind.
A) Use Furret's Surf to beat morty and then pick up Girafarig
B) Walk through the mountain to see if I can make my way over there (I think I can)
Why would you use surf with furret when you could teach it the Shadow Claw TM to the right of Ecruteak?

would ambipom be any decent? i dislike that poke a lot, so i've never paid any attention to it; but it seems like it'd be fairly fast and powerful; not a terrible movepool, either.

would ambipom be any decent? i dislike that poke a lot, so i've never paid any attention to it; but it seems like it'd be fairly fast and powerful; not a terrible movepool, either.
It could serve to be pretty useful now that I think about it. Although, I wouldn't go around headbutting trees until I found an Aipom. I'm going to use Persian because A) It's easier to find and B) Pay Day money to pull me through. I'm going to need some X Items and a few Proteins and such for good measure.

Saving that for Persian.
Also want to get Girafarig ahead on levels because it's so vital to this run. So I'll catch it before Persian.
But wouldn't Bite/Faint Attack be better, especially if you get a technician one. Plus I think you can get Shadow Claw TMs from the lottery in Goldenrod.

Rattata is great to start you off. Gets Bite very early for beating your rival, and you can also easily beat Morty with Raticate (just make sure you keep a non-attacking move, sucker punch works when you're asleep and try to attack).

I managed to get past my Rival at Azalea Town by using Foresight & Quick Attack with Furret. Since I'm not picking up the Raticate I was lucky that I never got rid of Foresight from the start.

You need something with Dig against Jasmine too ... And probably something with Surf for Steelix (High Defense ... Dig won't do a lot of damage)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Why have you forgotten Scrappy Miltank destroys half the game with the moves she has available... Stomp is great for flinches and Body Slam is also pretty good.

Also you can catch it right before the Morty match by going onto the next route. Def make sure you get a Scrappy one though!

Tauros and Miltank are both strong, and can both be caught before Girafarig. Ambipom is probably a rival choice to Persian, as they both have the same speed, technician and little defensive use. However, I'd use Ambipom due to technician and higher attack. If you use Girafarig, you're a funny guy. Use Stantler and you can be the funniest guy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)