1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Norwegian Vodka Power

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Bluwing, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Bluwing

Bluwing

Norwegian Vodka Power

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hello guys and merry christmas ! So I felt like giving a christmas present to you guys, and its one off my favourite OU team off all time, yes it is rain (No hail because I dont have too much experience with it). Also this team are made around my favourite pokemon off all time, namely Gengar, yes I just love that scary ghost. So this team has been doing great for me winning me some couple tours (Not big ones though as I rarely participate in them) But anyway, this team is very fun to play with, and it is not HO Rain, as you can see this is a spikestacking team where im getting up as most hazards I can and then just smash about everything with the offensive core off Latios, Gengar and Tornadus-T. The reason off making an spikestacking team was because I really like balanced teams as it is to risky to play with and it is not devastating to make a poor switch, meaning you can make a comeback easier mid/late game. Anyway heres the team, and ill hope you smogonites will enjoy.

"And no, im not addicted to alcohol :3"

~Team Building Process~

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    So rain is the weather I chosed, so for abusing rain I need Politoed as it is the only one out off two pokemons with the ability drizzle that can be used in Ou. Politoed is a strong choice for abusing weather, and is really bulky and checks a lot off set up sweepers.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    My next choice was something that could abuse rain, but also check Breloom leads, so I felt that Tornadus-T was a really good and logical choice for this job. So far it has done its job great, and that Hurricane dents nearly everything in its way.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Forretress was my next pokemon off choice, reason for this is that it can set up spikes reliably, and it has rapid spin which is always usefull. Forretress also carry the ever usefull volt switch which can be very usefull for bluffing spins vs Jellicent/Gengar switch ins.​

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    So here is my favourite pokemon and MVP off the team GENGAR! His job is to spin block and annoy people until they are getting blue in the face, and raging theyre ass off which I find hilarious. This pokemon are just so good, and man disable + substitute is so easy to abuse, as predicting with those moves are pretty easy when getting used to it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Jirachi is here for passing huge wishes, and set up the maby the best hazard in the game Stealth Rock. Jirachi is also my main special sponge as it handles nearly everything that is special attacking, and abusing serene grace is always fun.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    So after looking at my team I was incredibly weak to fast scarfers like Thundurus-T, Terrakion, Keldeo and Salamence. To fix this I chose to abuse Latios as my scarfer, as Latios is very uncommon carrying the scarf it can easely catch people off guard which is extremely usefull, my also had an retty big weakness to Thundurus-T in general, and Latios is my only electric resist but it checks what it has to check anytime everytime.
    Show Hide

[​IMG]Underneath The Microscope[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    POLITOED @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpD
    Bold Nature: (+Def, -Atk)
    Scald | Toxic | Protect | Perish Song

So Politoed is my weather inducer which helps my team out a lot, the reason why im going for an bulky version off Politoed is because it helps its longivity, and it also checks a lot off threaths like DDnite, SubCM Keldeo, SubSalac Tearrakion and many other setup sweepers with Perish Song which has to be the best anti-setup move in the whole meta. 252 HP and 252 Def, Bold for maximum bulk so it can sponge a lot off hits, Scald is there for burning stuff which is really nice to have (Love when scald burns Jirachi or Ferrohorn) Toxic, well Toxic helps me wearing down pokemon, I really only use it on predicted switch ins, but I find it really usefull crippling some strong threaths like Rotom-W and Jellicent which just loves to switch in on Politoed. The last move is Protect, so Protect is amazing, its really helpfull to check for scarfers or just rack up some toxic/burn damage, and it also let me heal myself more with leftovers which helps Politoed's longivity. So basically this set wont be changed if you guys dont have a better spread for maximum all around bulk, I will be open for other spreads.

[​IMG]
    TORNADUS-THERIAN @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 SAtk | 4 Atk | 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature: (+Spd, -Def)
    Hurricane | Focus Blast | U-Turn | Sleep Talk

Tornadus-T is my main wallbreaker, in rain this bird is such a pain to face it totally wreaks havoc when it first is getting started. The main job for Tornadus is to check Breloom, that is where Sleep Talk comes in, every singel move in this moveset will dent Breloom for huge damage or give me the momentum which is even better. The cool thing about Tornadus is that I can use it as an status absorber (except paralyzez because they suck) but burns or toxic wont even bother him because he got this amazing ability in Regenerator. The rest off the set with Focus Blast and U-Turn is there for coverage and momentum which is crucial for any team, the ev spread is there for giving Tornadus maximum speed, but also to keep his naturally good speciall bulk, and to hit as hard as possible with U-Turn. Timid nature lets Tornadus outspeed some huge threaths like Gengar, Starmie, Alakazam, Lati@s, Terrakion, Keldeo, and many more.​

[​IMG]
    FORRETRESS @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP | 176 Def | 80 SpD
    Relaxed Nature: (+Def, -Spd)
    Gyro Ball | Volt Switch | Rapid Spin | Spikes

Forretress is my main go-to physical wall against nearly everything, Forretress poses as an great dragon check, and it also beats Mamoswine and Terrakion 1 on 1 which otherwise would have wreaked my team if played right. Gyro Ball is there for STAB and to hit fast pokemon's like Terrakion, Lati@s, Alakazam, DDnite, Salamence and a lot off other fast pokemom. Volt Switch is there for some really sweet momentum, and is great for bluffing a spin vs Gengar/Jellicent so I can bring in either Latios or Gengar to totally turn the game upside down for the opponent. Rapid Spin is there because its usefull, and hazards are always annoying no matter what, Spikes off course is there for racking up residual damage, and helps my sweepers out a lot. The ev spread is for maximazing its all around bulk for sponging hits as best as possible.​

[​IMG]
    GENGAR @ Black SLudge
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk | 252 Spd | 4 HP
    Timid Nature: (+Spd, -Atk)
    Shadow Ball | Focus Blast | Substitute | Disable

So here we are, the MVP off the team Gengar. So Gengar is my spin blocker, and its by far the best one in ou, the subdisable set is so good when played right, and so many people are raging on it, but thats not the point. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast gives perfect neutrall coverage which is fucking loveable, Substitute to block status, predict switches and helps me get off an Disable easier. Disable forces so many switches and racks up so much damage its not even funny, and its a really usefull move to have on this team, by far one off the most usefull ones. The ev spread is there for letting Gengar hit as hard as possible, but also let him tie with other base 110's which can be crucial (Hate losing speed ties, but hey who doesnt?) anyway Gengar is just amazing, and is an very underrated threath in this metagame.​

[​IMG]
    JIRACHI @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP | 252 SpD | 4 SAtk
    Sassy Nature: (+SpD, -Spd)
    Iron Head | Thunder | Stealth Rock | Wish

Jirachi my Tornadus-T counter and Stealth Rock setter, this fairy is the glue off the team without jirachi my team would have been messed up by strong special attackers, so therefore I have Jirachi to dent them with Thunder and slowly but sure kill them off with Iron Head, just because Serene Grace is an freaking awesome ability to have. Iron Head is there for main STAB, and to flinch things to death, not much more to say eyh ? Thunder over Body Slam because this lets Jirachi handle water type pokemon easier, but also beats Forretress, Scizor, Tornadus and Rotom-W easier. Stealth Rock is there for denting everything for some usefull damage, and Wish for helping out my teams longivity which I really appreciate. The ev spread is for maximum special bulk to sponge special hits as good as possible, making Jirachi a key member off this team.​

[​IMG]
    LATIOS @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 SAtk | 252 Spd | 4 HP
    Timid Nature: (+Spd, -Atk)
    Draco Meteor | Psyshock | Surf | Trick

Latios is my revenge killer, and does it greatly. No one really expect him to be scarf which can really help me out in a tight position, with its blistering speed there is not much that can outspeed and ohko scarf Latios, and by saying that, it means Latios is one off the best scarfers in this meta. Draco Meteor is there for having strong STAB that revenges what I need to revenge, Psyshock is a more spamable STAB that can beat the pink blobs, but also beats poison/fighting types which is really usefull. Surf gets STAB in rain which I find quite cool, and hits a lot off stuff hard, also its a great move to spam late game if rain is up. So for the last one I have Trick, Trick really helps me out vs some really annoying threaths especially Jirachi, which can be such a pain, Trick helps me beating the fairy much easier. The ev spread is there for maximum speed so I can outspeed Venusaur in the sun, and to hit as hard as possible.

Thanks For Reading !

So thank you all for reading this RMT, it has been fun to make this RMT, and I really hope you enjoyed it if you did drop a luvdisc, also if you have any ideas on how to improve the team any suggestion will be appreciated, so feel free to post your ideas. So thanks again for reading this RMT, and merry christmas from Norway ! :pimp:

Importable:
    Show Hide
    Politoed @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    - Perish Song

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
    Hasty Nature
    - Hurricane
    - Focus Blast
    - U-turn
    - Sleep Talk

Forretress @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Volt Switch
    - Gyro Ball
    - Rapid Spin
    - Spikes

Gengar @ Black Sludge
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Substitute
    - Disable

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
    Sassy Nature
    - Iron Head
    - Thunder
    - Stealth Rock
    - Wish

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Surf
    - Trick

2. Funkasaurus

Funkasaurus E P I C M E M E R
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Hi there,

Nice rain offense team you have there. Let's get right down to it. Nothing on your team really appreciates taking a STAB Water move, special ones, mostly. With that said, I recommend using Ferrothorn > Forretress. With that said, Ferrothorn also puts up a better fight with Tornadus-T and others. The only negative to this change is the loss of a Rapid Spinner, but that will be fixed with my next recommendation. That brings me into my next change; I recommend using Starmie > Latios. Although you lose some offensive prowess with this change, you regain a Rapid Spinner, plus since Latios was scarfed, it didn't have reliable recovery like Starmie has. A bulky Starmie set should be sufficient to take hits and ultimate increase longevity. Last, but not least, I recommend changing your Jirachi into a Choice Scarf variant. To be more specific, a bulkyish Choice Scarf variant. Although you lose some of your special defensiveness, Jirachi can still take Hurricanes with ease and fire back next turn with an Iron Head, a super effective Ice Punch, or if you are predicting a switch, U-Turn.
    Sets (open)

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Gyro Ball
    - Stealth Rock

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 248 HP / 44 SAtk / 216 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Psyshock
    - Recover
    - Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Iron Head
    - Ice Punch
    - Trick

Good luck!
  3. Bluwing

Bluwing

Thanks for the rate Funkasaurus !
    So first off Ferrothorn, I had Ferrothorn before and I actually keep swapping between Forretress and Ferrothorn, but your next ideas is kinda poor in my opinion starmie will make me incredibly Thundurus-T weak, and I dont like Jirachi to be scarfed as this team loves the wishes it can pass. Also by making Jirachi a scarfer makes my team lose the whole point, it is a spike stacking team where I want to get up as many hazardz as possible, and make force switches with gengar. But anyway thank you for the rate, and ill be sure to try out Ferrothorn over Forretress as my team arent that hazard weak.
  4. Eranu

Eranu

Hey,

Nice rain offense team. It looks like your team would have a hard time getting around special walls, mainly Blissey/Chansey/Jirachi. This is mostly due to the fact that your team doesn't have a single physical attacker. Chansey and Blissey can be dealt with by a combination of Trick and Gengar but Jirachi looks like a real pain to take out. A solution could be running Donphan > Forretress. Donphan can tank pretty much every Jirachi set lacking Water Pulse and threaten it out or OHKO it with Earthquake. With Donphan you still have a Rapid Spinner, but you will lose Spikes. I however do think that your team can function well without Spikes. You can still beat dragons / other strong physical attackers since Donphan is a physical wall. Having Ice Shard priority can be helpful too. Switch Forretress to Donphan also solves another problem : SD Lucario with Bullet Punch. After a SD, Bullet Punch can KO Gengar from full HP and Extremespeed can KO Latios after Stealth Rock damage. Running a max defense spread on Donphan will allows it to live any +2 hit and KO in return with Earthquake.

This switch does make you more Mamoswine weak. Your team can deal with it if you just play around it a bit, but if you want to make it easier you can choose to run more speed evs on Jirachi so it can outspeed Adamant Mamoswine and possibly KO it with Iron Head. An EV spread of 252 HP / 160 SDef / 96 Spd allows it to reach 260 speed, which is enough to outspeed Adamant base 80 'mons, including Mamoswine. As for Jirachi's 4th move, it doesn't need Stealth Rock anymore as Donphan has it. There are multiple options. You can run U-turn to gain more momentum and make Wish passing easier, you can use Protect to have Wish always heal you.

Lastly I'd like to suggest using Thunder > Surf on Latios. Your team as it is now is really weak to SubDD Gyarados. With Latios having the ability to outspeed a +2 Gyarados, running Thunder can hit it through Bounce and KO it pretty easily as long as you avoid / break its sub. If you don't like this idea you can always run Hidden Power [Electric] on Politoed, but I don't think that would be worth it.

Hope I helped. Good luck.

~Sets:
    Show Hide
    Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
  5. Doom Dawg

Doom Dawg

Kingdra

Many users play with Kingdra to counter the plethora of rain teams, so I think you should consider Ferrothorn. I usually run Specs Kingdra, in this case I would be theoretically at +2 SpA and +2 Spe because of rain, not even factoring STAB. Nothing on your team really OHKO's a Kingdra but that Hurricane and that Draco Meteor from Tornadus and Latios respectively. Other main problem you face is Blissey as nothing in your team can deal with it... unless it is the last pokemon in the opponent's team and you toxic/perish song/parahax it to death. In most cases that is not the situation and you will be walled to death by a Blissey. I have two suggestions with me, a simple one and a drastic one.

Bare in mind there is no way of dealing with Kingdra, there is one, not summoning rain until it is dead. Even a Ferrothorn is 3HKO by a Hydro Pump. But if you have a pokemon that absorbs water attacks everything gets much easier, as you have this to absorb the water and Jirachi to wall the Draco Meteors.

Blissey problem can be solved by using other item on Tornadus and giving it Superpower, or using Toxicroak. By using Toxicroak with Dry Skin you are directly benefitting from the rain and you can effectively deal with Blissey. Your team lacks physical attackers and Toxicroak is perfect for it, the set below might be of extreme help, it is a Swords Dance set.

Show Hide
    Toxicroak @ Leftovers
    Trait: Dry Skin
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Swords Dance
    - Drain Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Sucker Punch
  6. High Impulse

High Impulse

Hey there,

Nice Rain Offence team you have there. One thing that seems problematic to you team is Specially Defensive Jirachi; I am going to back up what Eranu said about using Donphan > Forretress. Donphan will be really helpful in taking out Jirachi, as well as Spinning and setting up Stealth Rocks. If you do go through with this change, I suggest that you use a Specially Defensive Rotom-W > Jirachi not only will Rotom-W provide you with a good Tornadus-T check and Mamoswine Check, but it will also take strong water moves which your team may not like and take a bit of pressure off of Latios. I also suggest that you use CB Scizor > Gengar because if you do try these changes, I don't see the point of having a spin blocker for just Stealth Rocks, so Scizor will be really helpful in taking out the Lati twins as well as providing you with priority which is always nice.

Sets
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Donphan (F) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Rapid Spin

[​IMG]
    Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 76 SAtk / 128 SDef / 52 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split

[​IMG]

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

As I said man, nice team and I hope I helped!
  7. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Cool team man!

So you've gotten a ton of great suggestions, specifically I agree with Eranu's Donphan over Forretress. That gives you a much better switch-in and all around check to Sand Team's strongest members, including Tyranitar and Terrakion.

My one other suggestion is that you try a more specially defensive spread on Politoed. Your main special wall Jirachi takes neutral damage from Water-type attacks. Because of that, even with its immense special bulk threats like Spec Keldeo and LO Starmie will be able to beat it with their boosted Hydro Pumps and Surfs. The spread I recommend is, EVs: 252 HP / 196 SDef / 60 Def. This gives Politoed the ability to take those boosted Water attacks even though its not the best all around special wall. Donphan, Jirachi, and Politoed will form a very tight defensive core that can you can use to check or counter many OU threats.

Another something you could try is Dugtrio over Gengar. Now I know you said Gengar is the MVP but without Forretress' Spikes a spinblocker is no longer a necessity. Dugtrio helps out enormously, it traps Tyranitar and Ninetales, thus winning you the weather war. Latios also loves having Tyranitar, one of its biggest counters, removed. It also removes Jirachi who is a prime check to both of your offensive Pokemon, Tornadus-T and Latios. The set I recommend is:

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Arena Trap
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Substitute
    - Reversal

Good Luck!
  8. swwaaggeerr

swwaaggeerr

you really need a physical attacker. In fact the only things that really bother chansey on your team is trick and perish song. tbh scarf keldeo has more utility than latios on a rain team and it can get by chansey with secret sword. Also you might as well use jellicent instead of gengar so u can sponge those strong water attacks from the rain teams tht every juss doesnt stop using. Starting to like the specs jellicent set, good agaisnt a lot of rain threats but tentacruel mite stil beat u
  9. Alice

Alice The worst taste in music

I believe Sleep Talk works better with LO Tornadus-T -you definitely don't wanna get locked into sleep talk >_>-, and since you want it to be a wallbreaking mon it's better to have the versatility of LO than being locked in an undesired attack -like Hurricane in front of a t-tar-, so my advice is to change it to LO Torn-t, with Superpower over Focus Blast, and a Naiive nature instead.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)