Nostalgic newb moments

Discussion in 'Historical Threads' started by kiryu3000, Apr 17, 2010.

1. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

Hi all, I have created this thread so that we can all share some of the silly mistakes that we've made before we fully grasped all the concepts of Pokemon. This topic applies to all generations, so I decided to post it here (can't post this thread in Stark Mountain of course). So I guess I should start off:

• The very first Pokemon game I've ever owned was Yellow version, and my level 100 Pikachu had the following moves: Thunder, Thunderbolt, Thundershock, and Thunder Wave. I thought it was the greatest Pikachu ever...until I faced my rival's Sandslash...
    • In the very same Yellow version, I gave my Mewtwo Substitute when it was totally unnecessary; Mewtwo could already destroy things without the fear of fainting; even so, it had Recover -____-
    • Saving the game right after killing Articuno.
    • Exploring the power plant until I came across a generic bird overworld sprite (which turned out to be Zapdos). At that point I was forced to use my Master Ball as I had no other Pokeballs :(
  2. Sceats

Sceats

Heh, my first game was gold and i did some pretty wierd stuff too!

• Killed entei and saved cause i thought it was just another wild pokemon.
    • Used only feraligatr, nothing else could compete with a ferocious cutting crocodile.
    • Thought i needed a ghost type to get through ecruteaks gym (and had no idea how to get one)
    • Had no idea about stab, but most moves were the same type anyway.
    • Only picked moves with high power and didnt care about anything else.
    • Used my masterball on lances charizard.
    Good times.
  3. razoredgey

razoredgey

Master ball on Gliscor. =p
    Releasing an Entie, thinking it would roam again. x)
    Teaching my Feraligator Surf/Cut/Strength/Hydro Pump. =/

Crystal version, good times.
  4. Wichu

Wichu ACUPRESSURE
    is a Pokemon Researcher

I insisted on running Thunderbolt Kyogre 'for the accuracy', and later, 'so it doesn't miss when it's teamed with Groudon'. My Groudon was faster than Kyogre, so it would rain every time anyway :P

Also, the classic 'that's not fair, you're player 1 so you get to move first'.
  5. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

Hm, didn't realize that the slower one gets the weather off first. I'll keep that in mind :p

Anyways, some more:

• In Silver version, my Typhlosion knew Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Fire Punch, and Earthquake. I thought it was the most epic thing ever, until I faced Lance in Pokemon Stadium 2 (curse that Aerodactyl and Dragonite!)
    • I did not realize the difference between using electric attacks against a Gyarados and Marill (in other words, the difference between 2x and 4x effectiveness) until 3rd gen. I just used attacks that did 4x multiplier without knowing its effectiveness just because I thought it was "epic pwnage".
    • Took me 6 hours to evolve a Chansey :(
  6. 420

None of my a regular pokeballs worked when I tried to catch zapdos, so I logically assumed you couldn't catch legendary pokemon without a master ball. So I used my master ball on Zapdos and fainted articuno, moltres, and even mewtwo.

I was training a kadabra and wanted it to evolve into alakazam but I didn't know how. I had no idea there were other ways to evolve a pokemon besides leveling up, so I ended up training it all the way up to level 100 trying to evolve it

Never being able to find the surf HM and also never being able to figue out how to get past the thirsty guards. Also couldn't figure out how to leave my house at the start of the game.

I was playing yellow version and I could not for the life of me beat erika's gym for some reason, even though I had a level 45 Venusaur. I ended up resetting the entire game and starting over because I thought it was impossible.

Let's not forget the retarded movesets: I think I also had a pikachu with thunder, bolt, shock, and wave, as well as a charizard with ember, flamethrower, fire spin, cut, etc. I think my favorite was my exeggutor with both selfdestruct AND Explosion. I also remember being on victory road and my jolteon was trying to learn pin missile. I figured it would be an awesome super strong electric attack since he learned it at level 55, so I deleted Thunder for it. I already used my thunderbolt TM so when I went to the elite four my jolt had no electric attacks and was useless, despite being the highest level :(
  7. Zowayix

Zowayix

In my first playthrough of Blue version, I deleted Ice Beam for Hydro Pump on Blastoise. For some reason I thought that they were the same type.
  8. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

That happened to me as well. Anyways...

• In Yellow version, the first time I beat the Elite Four, my game did not save (I think I may have shut off my GameBoy prematurely), so I assumed that beating the champion means not being able to save and thus you have wasted your time. So I basically killed all my rival's Pokemon except for one, and purposely died on that last Pokemon so that I get to keep the experience I've earned. That was perhaps the biggest mistake I've ever made.
    • Being stuck on the Power Plant part in Silver version. I could not find the missing machine part because I skipped through the dialog too fast.
  9. JackieChun

JackieChun

-Giving pokes same type moves(Blastoise had Surf, Hydro Pump, Bite, Water Gun)
    -Had no idea about STAB until I got back into this game.....10 years later :/
    -Somehow remember not being able to find Surf that easily in RBY

Maybe I'll think of some more later
  10. kirbyman62

kirbyman62

My first game was actually Ruby (that's why I can't wait until HeartGold, both regions I haven't been to in one!), and I have a few m00b moments:

• I honestly got stuck after Slateport, I didn't realise you couldn't go under the Cycle Path.
    • I didn't have a clue were the Pok├ęBlock Case was, and got really annoyed that I couldn't go in the Safari Zone without it.
    • Due to me not knowing much about items, I had to fight Steven with a Groudon and a Blazkien.
    • Said Blazkien knew Fire Blast, Overheat, Sky Uppercut and Rock Smash. I too thought it was the best thing ever.
    • I always got really annoyed because the artist wouldn't paint a picture of my Pinsir after winning the Master Rank contest.
    • I also got annoyed when my clock stopped.
    • I spent an entire day looking on the internet trying to find out how to get Deoxys.
    • I found out the 'space ship to go to the moon and catch Deoxys' trick was untrue first hand. I left Ruby in my trouser pocket and it went through the wash. I went to the guy and he said "That was successful launch number 9,999!" He didn't say anything else after that.
    • Did anyone else know what that house in Lilycove did with the door (or was it stairs?) blocked by the plants?
  11. intercline

intercline

Let's see...

• Taught my Lv.17 Drowzee seismic toss and thinking it would be the strongest thing ever.
    • Accidently cloned my Fearaligtr and Lugia
    • Used my masterball on a rhyhorn
    • Released my typhlosion, thinking I could find it in the wild again.
    • Looked for the "Tryanitar" in Mt. Silver
    • Had a level 100 blaziken that knew blaze kick, fire punch, fire blast, and flamethrower along with 5 other trash pokemon.
    • Got beat by a trainer with a single Milotic because water pulse confused and killed blaziken and the rest of the team.
    Good times.
  12. Maskeus

Maskeus

Decided that since Groudon was a fire type, Solarbeam wouldn't do much damage and it'd give me a turn to look at Groudon's Moveset.
    And guess what? Because of that, my Sceptile was level 98 when I finally beat Steven.
  13. The Cicada

The Cicada

in emerald when i first visited sootopolis i encountered a gyardos thinking it was the toughest thing ever so i threw a master ball at it, that made me have to struggle to catch legends like rayquaza regi trio and latios
  14. StealthX

StealthX

I actually haven't had many n00b moments. The only thing I can think of is the genetic "level up your starter and nothing else." But even then Charizard had a move set of Flamethrower, Wing Attack, ???, and ???. But I remember that the last moves weren't Fire nor Flying type moves. This was on Leaf Green by the way.
  15. Albel

Albel

Back in my old Silver version, I found a shiny Pokemon, just roaming wild. I thought it was a glitch and ran from it. The reason I didn't fear Gyarados at Lake Rage is because I just thought it was "special".

Also, on all games up to Emerald, I wouldn't use anything but "attacking" moves, or moves that do damage... In-game and competitively.

And the most famous one of all, back in the R/B/Y games, I held the B button when catching a Pokemon, thinking it would help... Actually, to be honest, I think I remember doing this against a Kyogre too.....
  16. Bucky

Bucky

Lol 420's is funny.

Let's see, my first Pokemon games were Red & Blue and I was like 7 or something.

I named my character Ash...
    I thought holding down A whenever my Pokemon attacked would automatically make it deal more damage.
    I developed a serious and deep hatred for Gary.
    When I got the masterball, I tried to use it on Gary's Pidgeot or something, and when it didn't work, I kept resetting and tried to use it on his other Pokemon. "Hey! Don't be a theif!"
    I thought the Warden was speaking in tongues.
    Lavender Town seriously creeped me out, especially the psychic old ladies who went "Ke...Ke...Ke...KWAAAHH!!!" and were all give me your blood and stuff. I got srsly scared.
    For the longest time, I had no idea what STAB was and I thought that Special Attack meant any move that's the same type as the attacking Pokemon. I only found out what it all meant like, three months ago X__X
    Non-attacking moves were completely useless to me, but I got srsly ticked after 20 Sand Attacks from my opponent. And I used to punish my Gameboy (that I named Strawberry) for making me lose battles by biting on the side of it >___<
  17. Dwarfspider

Dwarfspider

lets see

In red, I had a team of Blastoise, Magmar, Electabuzz, Scyther, Pinsir, and Mewtwo and thought it was the best ever. (only full team I ever bothered to level to 100)
    Blastoise had Bubblebeam, hydropump, icebeam and blizzard and I thought it was so awesome. I also missed bubble beam when it was removed as a TM in latter generations (best attack animation ever!)

In ruby I though that macho braces made pokemon indefinably stronger, so I had my blaziken and alakazam equip them throughout the entire game.

my blaziken had blaze kick, brick break, sky uppercut and slash, and I thought it was the greatest ever.

I stopped playing pokes before red and green remakes came out, it wasn't untill over three years after that they came out that I got them, because I got a renewed interest in pokemon due to finding out about IVs and EVs.
  18. ElementalHeroNeos

ElementalHeroNeos

My best moment was in Pokemon Stadium 2 when i first saw Lance's Tyranitar, i attacked him with everything as i didn't know if he was Dragon, Rock, Steel or Ground so after losing 5 times in a row versus him i discovered the library and i was confused when i saw his Rock/Dark type
  19. Crystal_

Crystal_
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Winner

Yeah i remmember in gsc playing with the "bad clon" glitches and destroying a 2-year game with lots of lv100 pokemon, but it was still funny
  20. Narwhals1

Narwhals1

When I first played Yellow, my cousin let me borrow his copy. "Don't save over my game!" He said, "and if you want, try to beat Brock. I can't, because my Pokemon aren't strong enough.."

Brock didn't stand a chance against my level 63 Pidgeot. :]

I feel like a noob now, though, because Pidgeot was the only one I trained up...
  21. Kattou

Kattou

Let's see..

When I first played Red I knew nothing about the Pokemon universe, except for Pikachu, so obviously I named my character PIKACHU (all caps).

When I was to choose my first Pokemon, I chose Charmander, however agreed to give it a nickname which I didn't want. I didn't know you could just cancel it, but since I was unable to remember its actual name (for me it just felt like a random combination of letters) I restarted the game and picked Bulbasaur instead.

When I had gotten the Master Ball I wanted to test it, so I threw it at a level 13 Onix, and was very impressed when it got caught. I then proceeded with my game, wondering when I'd get another.

I also believe I had around 25 Nidoran-M because of my self induced obligation to capture everything I stumbled upon in the Safari Zone.
  22. sce4

sce4

In Red I had a level 100 Mewtwo with Recover, Psychic, Hyper Beam, Payday and a level 100 Charizard with Slash, Flamethrower, Hyper Beam and Seismic Toss (both movesets are in the order of how I valued them at that time, I was also ecstatic with the PP of Payday and Seismic Toss being the amazing moves that they were)

Every single one of my pokemon up until Emerald knew Hyper Beam.

In Ruby I had many Pikachus from the Safari Zone and it was compulsory for them to know Iron Tail.

In Red I used to put my level 100s in the daycare hoping that they'd get above level 100 like my Snorlax and Golbat which I'd caught.

I used to think that Porygon would be the best pokemon in the world, and managed to get it, only to be kicked off of my team for the scyther and dratini I had gotten before it.

I didn't know STAB existed and thought it was just something I'd convinced myself of which was why my Groudon in Ruby had a moveset of Flamethrower/FireBlast/HyperBeam/SolarBeam.

I used to think Sheer Cold had much better accuracy then Fissure, because the ice type elite four would always beat my Groudon before I could beat it.

Wow, I've just realised how fun pokemon used to be.
  23. Bynine

Bynine

Master Ball on a Lairon, taught my Swampert Endevour over my only Ice Beam TM... Good times.
  24. Keno123

Keno123

I went into the Elite Four with a level 69 Vileplume and 66 Blaziken and the rest being level 20 crap pokemon. Blaziken's moveset was Blaze Kick, Dig, Rock Smash, Strength. Phoebe killed me every time so I restarted and become unnoobish =D

Oh and I used my Master Ball on Sableye cause I thought it was rare. ._.
  25. V1ral

V1ral

Leveling up feebas until level 71 and got annoyed because it didn't evolve
    Used masterball on oddish o.o

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)