XY NU Not Enough Power NU... [FIRST RMT]

Hey everybody of the Smogon forums!

Anyway, to the point, here's a team I made for NU - my first one. It has proven successful so far; but I am just wondering if there can be anything done to improve it - which I know there is. I've never posted a rate my team so sorry if it's all wrong. Any help would be appreciated. So here's the team:​

FIRST GLANCE:

A Little in Depth:

Cacturne @ Focus Sash
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 242 Hp / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Swords Dance

A reliable switch into water types and provides great priority in the form of sucker punch STAB. Drain Punch is to gain back extra Hp - in case it has been worn down - so focus sash is usable. Seed bomb counters water types such as seismitoad and provided great STAB. Swords dance is there when a switch is predicted, or when an attack boost is necessary - with focus sash's protection.

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 4 SpA / 52 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Clear Smog
- Fire Blast
- Pain Split

The Physical Wall of the team. This things can eat up anything physically thrown at it. It is easy to switch in and stops setup pokemon with clear smog. Fire Blast is there to get damage of on ferroseed and steel types such as steelix. Pain Split acts as type of recovery and will-o-Wisp is there to cripple most pokemon and get residual damage off.

Feraligatr @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Return
- Aqua Jet

The physical (setup) sweeper of my team. I don't really need to explain it much as it is basically what it says on the tin! set up some swords dances since gatr is bulky enough to take most attacks and either aqua jet faster frail opponents, or get more damage off with return and waterfall - which provide near perfect coverage.

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Bug Buzz

Timid gives a speed boost to get a sleep powder off. Setup quiver dances and sweep away. When this is pulled of - it is unstoppable. It also provides good bait for rock types, which feraligatr can switch into and destroy, providing good synergy in taking care of gatr's weakness of grass.

Sandslash @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Rapid spinner of the team. Sandslash is vital in assuring vivillon and focus sashed cacturne can switch in safely. Assault vest allows it to easily survive super effective hits and it acts well as a fire counter. Not much to it really - but it's important.

Electabuzz @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast

Usually my choice to start a game. It is a reliable fast attacker which can volt switch out of danger while getting good damage off. It provides momentum for the team if that makes sense. Psychic helps against poison and fighting types and focus blast to the pesky steel types. Electabuzz is really a hit and run pokemon. The reason I opted for him instead of its older brother is because they have the same special attack and electabuzz is slightly faster - and I rather have a dedicated special attacker.

Any Feedback would be very much appreciated, whether to add, remove or change Pokemon. Thank you!​

Last edited:
I think you have a nice and interesting team here. One thing i noticed though is that you have 3 weak to ice with only 1 resistance. For example.
Cryogonal @ Life Orb Timid 252 Spe 252 Spa Freeze Dry only move worth mentioning. 252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash: 390-460 (110.1 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Cacturne: 361-429 (104.9 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO. *Sucker Punch does KO though.
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Vivillon: 530-627 (176 - 208.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Freeze Dry vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 283-335 (87 - 103%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock.
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Weezing: 149-177 (44.6 - 52.9%) -- 85.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery. - 4 SpA Weezing Flamethrower vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cryogonal: 90-106 (31.9 - 37.5%) -- 89.1% chance to 3HKO.
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Freeze Dry vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Electabuzz: 138-164 (50.7 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock. - 252 SpA Electabuzz Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cryogonal: 164-194 (58.1 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

So by no means will cryogonal be sweeping you, all im saying is that it can seriously dent your team. You might want to find a way to combat it more easily.

I think you have a nice and interesting team here. One thing i noticed though is that you have 3 weak to ice with only 1 resistance. For example.
Cryogonal @ Life Orb Timid 252 Spe 252 Spa Freeze Dry only move worth mentioning. 252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash: 390-460 (110.1 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Cacturne: 361-429 (104.9 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO. *Sucker Punch does KO though.
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Vivillon: 530-627 (176 - 208.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Freeze Dry vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 283-335 (87 - 103%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock.
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Weezing: 149-177 (44.6 - 52.9%) -- 85.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery. - 4 SpA Weezing Flamethrower vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cryogonal: 90-106 (31.9 - 37.5%) -- 89.1% chance to 3HKO.
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Freeze Dry vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Electabuzz: 138-164 (50.7 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock. - 252 SpA Electabuzz Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cryogonal: 164-194 (58.1 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

So by no means will cryogonal be sweeping you, all im saying is that it can seriously dent your team. You might want to find a way to combat it more easily.
Thank you very much for your feedback. It seems I do have an ice weaknes...which must've gone over me. I've added descriptions of each pokemon if that matters. Any suggestions to what I can do to counter it? I have super effective damage against it but the weakness scares me already. I think I have 4 weaknesses to ice...

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey TalonRaptor, cool team!

Like Sam White told you, your team is quite weak to Ice-types. To fix this, I am going to suggest Assault Vest Hariyama over Electabuzz:

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

I suggested Hariyama because while it isn't as fast as Choice Scarf Electabuzz, it has access to Fake Out + Bullet Punch, which is nice to revenge kill pretty much anything. EV spread gives it good overall bulk and let you take pretty much any Special attack (even one or two Psychics).

Next, I am going to suggest you to change Weezing to a Garbodor:

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Seed Bomb

This set works well with Vivillon as it will be able to lure Steel-types and bulky Ground- and Water-types for it (Drain Punch + Rocky Helmet is quite nice to check Klinklang, and to hit Probopass, while Seed Bomb let you hit Seismitoad and Rhydon). Gunk Shot is its strongest STAB and let you hit anything for good damage.

I am also going to suggest you to use Stealth Rock on Sandslash:

Sandslash @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

I am suggesting this as I think that every team needs entry support, and Stealth Rock is the most important one. This will let you break any potential Focus Sash and do a good amount to anything. EV spread is to outspeed 0 Speed Seismitoad and to do as much damage as possible with Earthquake and Knock Off.

Next, I am going to suggest trying out Max Speed on Cacturne:

Cacturne @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch

Cacturne is frail, and I personally think giving Cacturne the ability to outspeed as much threats as possible will work better for you. You should also try Life Orb over Focus Sash, but that is up to you.

Finally, I am going to suggest trying out Lum Berry > Leftovers and Ice Punch > Return on Feraligatr, and Sharp Beak > Focus Sash on Vivillon:

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Jet

Vivillon @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz / Substitute

These last two changes are up to you though, since the current sets that you are using fits your team as well.

Hope I helped!

Hey TalonRaptor, cool team!

Like Sam White told you, your team is quite weak to Ice-types. To fix this, I am going to suggest Assault Vest Hariyama over Electabuzz:

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

I suggested Hariyama because while it isn't as fast as Choice Scarf Electabuzz, it has access to Fake Out + Bullet Punch, which is nice to revenge kill pretty much anything. EV spread gives it good overall bulk and let you take pretty much any Special attack (even one or two Psychics).

Next, I am going to suggest you to change Weezing to a Garbodor:

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Seed Bomb

This set works well with Vivillon as it will be able to lure Steel-types and bulky Ground- and Water-types for it (Drain Punch + Rocky Helmet is quite nice to check Klinklang, and to hit Probopass, while Seed Bomb let you hit Seismitoad and Rhydon). Gunk Shot is its strongest STAB and let you hit anything for good damage.

I am also going to suggest you to use Stealth Rock on Sandslash:

Sandslash @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

I am suggesting this as I think that every team needs entry support, and Stealth Rock is the most important one. This will let you break any potential Focus Sash and do a good amount to anything. EV spread is to outspeed 0 Speed Seismitoad and to do as much damage as possible with Earthquake and Knock Off.

Next, I am going to suggest trying out Max Speed on Cacturne:

Cacturne @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch

Cacturne is frail, and I personally think giving Cacturne the ability to outspeed as much threats as possible will work better for you. You should also try Life Orb over Focus Sash, but that is up to you.

Finally, I am going to suggest trying out Lum Berry > Leftovers and Ice Punch > Return on Feraligatr, and Sharp Beak > Focus Sash on Vivillon:

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Jet

Vivillon @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz / Substitute

These last two changes are up to you though, since the current sets that you are using fits your team as well.

Hope I helped!
Thank you very much Soulgazer for taking the time to write all that. I feel take on board what you have said and your suggestions seem very good! I will probably end up changing feraligatr, caturne and sandslash. The thing is, wheezing has been doing wonders for me and Im wondering if garbador has the defensive potential which wheezing has at all? Thank you again for your feeback

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)