1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Programming Notice

Discussion in 'Technical Projects' started by chaos, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

I haven't fully setup this forum yet... it is still visible to everyone ATM. I'm not really sure what to do with it, so if you have any suggestions for this forum please voice them in this thread

The purpose of it is to provide information to people programming the site and to organize "site projects", much like C&C organizes projects.
  2. Thorns

Thorns

Don't mind me asking, but would it be possible for everybody to view the forum, just to get a headsup on progress?
  3. Mastadi

Mastadi

I agree with thorns. However, you might want to include a sub forum, invisible to anyone besides the programmers and/or badged users
  4. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Let's get some posting rules put up quickly. I don't want to see this turn into a shitstorm of "I think it would be cool if the site had <stupid idea here>" threads.

Much like C&C, this needs to be somewhat focused, and have limited participation from the riff-raff.
  5. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I think this could serve well as one of the dozens of C&C Subforums, or maybe this forum would be "Programming" in general to cover Competitior.
  6. E.A.

E.A.

Not only that, but someone might be able to learn a thing or two by lurking around this new forum.
  7. darkie

darkie mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

I think keeping the forum visible to all, but 'postable' only for those who are actually helping with the programming would be the best way to go, much like the analyses were written and edited a year and a half ago.
  8. ryubahamut

ryubahamut
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

this. though i think the forum should be visible to all.
  9. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Perhaps one "stupid site idea" thread?

I think it would be better to make the forums "heavily moderated" but open to all. Posts would be much more likely to be deleted for being random / off topic / stupid but anyone can post if they have something important to add. It would be an interesting experiment and it's way less annoying than PMing a priveleged user.

Granted maybe I'm biased from "locked forums" due to being barred from most of them.
  10. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

I'm up with leaving the site forums completely open
  11. Objection

Objection

I think that the forum should be visible to all but have restricted posting access like what darkie said for the first few months, and then once the ball's rolling comfortably, then maybe anyone can post in it.
  12. Annhialator Zero

Annhialator Zero

Why don't you just wait and see how it goes and if you get loads of crap restrict it?
  13. twilightfan99

twilightfan99

I think we should make this for ALL the updates on Smogon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)