Metagame NP: NU (beta): Welcome to the NU Age (Combusken Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Also a thing to note on the WP. There is a TON of priority running around in the tier. Meaning that if you do get WP activated, you will probably be at minuscule health after taking a SE hit. This leaves you open for plenty of revenge killers. Hariyama (double priority), Gurdurr, Fletchinder, Shiftry, Spiritomb, Kangaskhan (double priority), Feraligatr, Kecleon (triple priority), Arbok, Ariados, Basculin, Carracosta, Dodrio, Flareon, Floatzel, Heatmor, Huntail, Linoone, Mightyena, Swellow, Victreebel, Zangoose
All of these have very good priority coverage through typing, Normal, Dark, Ghost, Fighting, Water, Flying. So it shouldnt be hard to find one that can easily revenge kill a WP user. Not to mention on top of that, assuming you havent shellsmashed or gotten a unburden boost, you can easily be revenge kill by something that is faster or something scarfed.
As said above there are very few good WP users that can set up the sweep without getting revenge kill fairly easily. There are a bunch of creative sets that you can make that involve WP and endure, but with the amount of priority out there they are to easily revenge killed imo. I dont believe we need an entire thread dedicated to WP, which as of right now serves a small niche.

(I even left out some less viable priority users like Dewgong with Fake out and Aqua jet LOL)

RockRocks

Banned deucer.
Ask a moderator (Raseri, Zebraiken, DTC) for permission.

With that said, the problem with WP in my opinion is that you'll need the user to be bulky enough / have a move or ability that allows it to survive, yet be able to outrun opponents and have multiple exploitable weaknesses. There aren't many apart from those 3 which I can think of.
I asked Raseri, he hasn't replied yet. Anyway I understand you and Montsegur's points and I agree with them, BUT if you think about it there will really only be 1-2 priority users per team, and once you take out those mons you're ready to sweep. Also, some viable users such as Carracosta and Barbaracle can take care of those mons with priority moves of their own at +3. It's not the best item but I honestly think it should be studied in more detail by someone (such as yours truly).

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I asked Raseri, he hasn't replied yet. Anyway I understand you and Montsegur's points and I agree with them, BUT if you think about it there will really only be 1-2 priority users per team, and once you take out those mons you're ready to sweep. Also, some viable users such as Carracosta and Barbaracle can take care of those mons with priority moves of their own at +3. It's not the best item but I honestly think it should be studied in more detail by someone (such as yours truly).
Barbaracle doesn't learn any priority moves tho and is a p. terrible wp user

I was considering to test WP Golem thanks to its access to Rock Polish and Sucker Punch and the ability Sturdy...yet I didn't get the time to test it if it is really worth it.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
now that sigi is banned, magneton and fletchinder are gone, and we have electivire and slurpuff to play with, what are the current ~best sets of NU~? particularly for vire and cotton candy - what are the hot new sets we should be running on these guys? please do experiment, and even if you haven't tested your sets thoroughly, post them up for discussion if we haven't seen 'em in this thread already!

honestly, it seems like steelix is going to be on the rise as a great check to bdrum slurpuff and most electivire variants, as well as being a solid pokemon in general. gurdurr and other fighting-types aren't pressured by sigi so much anymore, which makes them a lot more viable - i mean, slurpuff and granbull will still be around, but now you're not at such a distinct and significant disadvantage against most teams just by using said fighting-types. both of our new drops can go either physical or special, and i'm rather curious which sets will end up being the best for them in XY NU. whatcha think?

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
This is a good set that Slurpuff usually runs, and I predict it to be seen very often in NU (if you aren't running CM)

Slurpuff
Item: Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Nature: Adamant / Naughty
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spd
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Substitute / Flamethrower

sitrus berry + belly drum + unburden = gg

Seriously, using Belly Drum to maximize your attack while gaining 25% of your health back while doubling your speed is really powerful. Maxed out STAB Play Rough hits really hard, and OHKOs most A rank threats in the tier (Spiritomb, Feraligatr, Sceptile, Archeops, Shiftry). Return is just coverage that hits decently hard. Substitute is also a good move as it protects you from Prankster T-Wave and other annoying status moves. I also threw Flamethrower in there to hit Vileplume, Ferroseed and Steelix decently hard on the switch.

IMO, this may be the best set for Slurpuff in XY NU

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Electivire's main selling point is its speed and its good movepool; a faster, but a bit weaker on the special side, Magmortar. Hollywood and I did some calcs earlier and theorymonned a fair bit, and a set similar to this will probably be the most effective:

Electivire @ Life Orb
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature (Naive works too if you want to take less from priority)
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]

With this set, Electivire can pmuch 2HKO a good majority of walls such as Vileplume, Rhydon, Seismitoad, Steelix, Gourgeist, Pelipper/Mantine, Dragalge, Lanturn, and more (Electivire come close to OHKO some of these if it has Spikes support!). It does miss out of Audino/Lickilicky and some others that I might have forgot about, but if you need it to cover those you can always run Cross Chop over something.

I didn't rly look at Slurpuff, but at first glance CM looks more dangerous than Belly Drum for few reasons: there's a LOT of good bulky Poison- and Steel-types running around in NU, which means it will have an hard time breaking through some Pokemon, while CM gives Slurpuff the potential to break walls thanks to its good special movepool (Slurpuff has access to Surf, Energy Ball, Flamethrower, Psychic, Dazzling Gleam, and some other). Both seems viable though, so you will pmuch make your opponents have to predict which set it is (and if they get it wrong, they will most likely be in a bad position).

Last edited:
Slurpuff is a very versatile sweeper and has quite a few sets that it can run. Its Belly Drum set is the most immediately threatening, but is easily shut down by any Steel-type. Cotton Guard+Calm Mind is a really cool set that's pretty much impossible to stop once it gets going, but is extremely vulnerable to status. A plain Calm Mind set is also neat, and unlike Belly Drum, can utilize Slurpuff's crazy special movepool. It can even run a defensive Wish passing set making use of its excellent defensive typing. Basically, it can do a ton of things, and you need to figure out what set its rinning before you can do anything to it.

I think the biggest problem with Slurpuff is that the metagame is still quite offensive, which means that it isn't going to have a ton of chances to set up. It also has an issue with being outsped by Choice Scarf users (at +2 with max Speed, it hits 486 Speed, which is still outsped by everything from Scarf Typhlosion and faster), and priority users can, of course, also hit it. Thankfully, the only priority that it is weak to is Bullet Punch, and the only common user of that is Hariyama:

252+ Atk Hariyama Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 104-124 (33.9 - 40.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I think bulkier spreads will probably be better though, given that the only other real Choice Scarf users that I can think of which +2 Slurpuff can outspeed can't really do a whole lot to it (Primeape, Sawk, Rotom which can hurt BD a lot but not CM).

252 SpA Rotom Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Slurpuff: 151-178 (49.3 - 58.1%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Primeape Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 107-126 (34.9 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Calm Mind + Cotton Guard could be really, really good too. I used it as a joke once in OU, and the only thing that ever really stopped it was Heatran lol.

Anyways, I think the ~best~ set will be:

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Surf
- Flamethrower / Psychic

Unfortunately, you can't wreck everything, but you can wreck a lot with this set. Gleam is obvious STAB. From there, I think your best options are either Flamethrower and Surf or Surf and Psychic. Most of the tier's Steel-types are weak to Water (Probopass, Bastiodon, Steelix), so Surf does pretty well for them, while Psychic covers Poison-types. However, Flamethrower hits Klinklang and Ferroseed, as well as Steelix, while Surf covers them as well as Fire-types, which resist your STAB and Flamethrower. I think the only coverage move that is mandatory is Surf because it hits a lot of Fairy resists and generally has amazing coverage alongside Dazzling Gleam. EVs let you outrun Accelgor at +2. If you don't outrun it, you can get Encored. :( Plus, like I covered above, you don't really need to outrun most Scarfers because the only ones that beat you outspeed you with max Speed anyways.

I like Calm Mind more than Belly Drum because it doesn't get walled by anything altogether, though it does struggle with stuff like Assault Vest Muk, even if it runs Psychic, and Bastiodon and Probopass can both tank a +1 Surf. Meanwhile, Belly Drum is shit on by: every Steel-type except for like Pawniard. It also loses to MUH EVIOLITE HAUNTER.

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Eviolite Haunter: 246-291 (83.6 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Forgive me if this was posted already. Anyway I'm here to present you with a beast that no one seems to be using at all and idk why.

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant or Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Seed Bomb

If you're having trouble with stall or you need something to break down walls, this thing is exactly what you need. Now you might be thinking. What's so special about this thing? Why use this over Zangoose? Sure Zangoose is faster but Ursaring outclasses it in every other way, it has better defensive stats, a deeper movepool, and most importantly more power. Speed doesn't matter since Ursaring isn't a sweeper, it's a wallbreaker, it only needs enough speed to outrun the tiers defensive Pokemon in order to OHKO or 2HKO them.
  • 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Spiritomb: 135-159 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 301-355 (85 - 100.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 496-588 (119.8 - 142%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 280-331 (72.9 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • -1 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Granbull: 318-375 (82.8 - 97.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 165-195 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 238-282 (71.2 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
(Ordered by ranking in the Viability Thread((I don't think anyone uses 252hp/252def Granbull, if that's a thing go ahead and call me out on that)))

Nothing, absolutely nothing wants to switch into Ursaring. If your opponent is stupid enough to even attempt it ... rip whatever just switched in. With smart play Ursaring is guaranteed to net 2 KO's, making it easier for your other Pokemon to clean up.

Forgive me if this was posted already. Anyway I'm here to present you with a beast that no one seems to be using at all and idk why.

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant or Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Seed Bomb

If you're having trouble with stall or you need something to break down walls, this thing is exactly what you need. Now you might be thinking. What's so special about this thing? Why use this over Zangoose? Sure Zangoose is faster but Ursaring outclasses it in every other way, it has better defensive stats, a deeper movepool, and most importantly more power. Speed doesn't matter since Ursaring isn't a sweeper, it's a wallbreaker, it only needs enough speed to outrun the tiers defensive Pokemon in order to OHKO or 2HKO them.
  • 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Spiritomb: 135-159 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 301-355 (85 - 100.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 496-588 (119.8 - 142%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 280-331 (72.9 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • -1 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Granbull: 318-375 (82.8 - 97.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 165-195 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 238-282 (71.2 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
(Ordered by ranking in the Viability Thread((I don't think anyone uses 252hp/252def Granbull, if that's a thing go ahead and call me out on that)))

Nothing, absolutely nothing wants to switch into Ursaring. If your opponent is stupid enough to even attempt it ... rip whatever just switched in. With smart play Ursaring is guaranteed to net 2 KO's, making it easier for your other Pokemon to clean up.
Why use a Toxic orb instead of a Flame orb?

Why use a Toxic orb instead of a Flame orb?
It doesn't matter which orb you use, the decision is usually based on preference. I chose a Toxic Orb because two turns of Toxic damage is less than two turns of Burn damage, and imo Ursaring shouldn't be in the game for more than two turns since this is mainly a hit and run set. But if you want to keep Ursaring in longer than two turns you're welcome to use a Flame Orb.

Toxic Orb is probably better in this metagame. Ursaring is way too slow to stay in long enough for toxic to really rack up, so you'll often take more from burn damage than you would toxic. For reference, you need to stay in for four turns for toxic to outdamage burn.

Using Toxic Orb also allows you to bluff Quick Feet, which Flame Orb cannot do.

Also pathetic calc:

252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 328-388 (79.2 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I didn't rly look at Slurpuff, but at first glance CM looks more dangerous than Belly Drum for few reasons: there's a LOT of good bulky Poison- and Steel-types running around in NU, which means it will have an hard time breaking through some Pokemon, while CM gives Slurpuff the potential to break walls thanks to its good special movepool (Slurpuff has access to Surf, Energy Ball, Flamethrower, Psychic, Dazzling Gleam, and some other). Both seems viable though, so you will pmuch make your opponents have to predict which set it is (and if they get it wrong, they will most likely be in a bad position).
Lol never use Energy Ball on Slurpuff; it is literally the worst coverage move to go alongside Fairy.

One thing people haven't looked at is the possibility of a defensive Slurpuff. With moves such as Wish and Aromatherapy, it can easily fill the slot of Granbull as a supporting Fairy (reliable recovery!), and doesn't get rektd by Stealth Rock like Togetic does. Defensive Slurpuff would likely be competent as a bulky Fairy, if it weren't for the fact that its offensive sets are pretty dominating in comparison right now.

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem with Slurpuff is that the metagame is still quite offensive, which means that it isn't going to have a ton of chances to set up. It also has an issue with being outsped by Choice Scarf users (at +2 with max Speed, it hits 486 Speed, which is still outsped by everything from Scarf Typhlosion and faster), and priority users can, of course, also hit it. Thankfully, the only priority that it is weak to is Bullet Punch, and the only common user of that is Hariyama:

252+ Atk Hariyama Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 104-124 (33.9 - 40.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I think bulkier spreads will probably be better though, given that the only other real Choice Scarf users that I can think of which +2 Slurpuff can outspeed can't really do a whole lot to it (Primeape, Sawk, Rotom which can hurt BD a lot but not CM).

252 SpA Rotom Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Slurpuff: 151-178 (49.3 - 58.1%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Primeape Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 107-126 (34.9 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Calm Mind + Cotton Guard could be really, really good too. I used it as a joke once in OU, and the only thing that ever really stopped it was Heatran lol.

Anyways, I think the ~best~ set will be:

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower / Surf
- Surf / Psychic

Unfortunately, you can't wreck everything, but you can wreck a lot with this set. Gleam is obvious STAB. From there, I think your best options are either Flamethrower and Surf or Surf and Psychic. Most of the tier's Steel-types are weak to Water (Probopass, Bastiodon, Steelix), so Surf does pretty well for them, while Psychic covers Poison-types. However, Flamethrower hits Klinklang and Ferroseed, as well as Steelix, while Surf covers them as well as Fire-types, which resist your STAB and Flamethrower. I think the only coverage move that is mandatory is Surf because it hits a lot of Fairy resists and generally has amazing coverage alongside Dazzling Gleam. EVs let you outrun Accelgor at +2. If you don't outrun it, you can get Encored. :( Plus, like I covered above, you don't really need to outrun most Scarfers because the only ones that beat you outspeed you with max Speed anyways.

I like Calm Mind more than Belly Drum because it doesn't get walled by anything altogether, though it does struggle with stuff like Assault Vest Muk, even if it runs Psychic, and Bastiodon and Probopass can both tank a +1 Surf. Meanwhile, Belly Drum is shit on by: every Steel-type except for like Pawniard. It also loses to MUH EVIOLITE HAUNTER.

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Eviolite Haunter: 246-291 (83.6 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I would argue that the offensive metagame actually gives Slurpuff more chances to set up, at least for the Calm Mind variants since stall is their bane. While Slurpuff doesn't find too many opportunities to set up, choiced Pokemon like Sawk, Pangoro and Primeape can be used as setup fodder for it. I personally prefer Cotton Guard + Calm Mind to protect against priority and physical attackers in general, but Calm Mind + 3 attacks is pretty good too just for the sake of coverage.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 SAtk / 152 Spd / 104 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Cotton Guard
- Draining Kiss/Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic/Surf/Thunderbolt

I like using Draining Kiss on the double boosting set because it is great for keeping Slurpuff healthy since it heals so much and gets good power as Slurpuff continues to gather Calm Mind boosts. Dazzling Gleam is probably a must for sets without Cotton Guard or on Rest + Chesto Berry sets. I feel that Psychic is the best coverage move for Slurpuff in NU just because Dragalgae and other Poison types are here, but Surf and Thunderbolt are probably just as good. Flamethrower is not as good in NU as it is in other types because Steelix is really one of the only viable Steel type Pokemon in NU at the moment now that Magneton and Doublade are gone (there's Ferroseed and Probopass too I guess).

Slurpuff doesn't seem too strong for NU right now as I thought it would be, but it is definitely one of the strongest Pokemon in the tier atm.

I would argue that the offensive metagame actually gives Slurpuff more chances to set up, at least for the Calm Mind variants since stall is their bane. While Slurpuff doesn't find too many opportunities to set up, choiced Pokemon like Sawk, Pangoro and Primeape can be used as setup fodder for it. I personally prefer Cotton Guard + Calm Mind to protect against priority and physical attackers in general, but Calm Mind + 3 attacks is pretty good too just for the sake of coverage.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 SAtk / 152 Spd / 104 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Cotton Guard
- Draining Kiss/Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic/Surf/Thunderbolt

I like using Draining Kiss on the double boosting set because it is great for keeping Slurpuff healthy since it heals so much and gets good power as Slurpuff continues to gather Calm Mind boosts. Dazzling Gleam is probably a must for sets without Cotton Guard or on Rest + Chesto Berry sets. I feel that Psychic is the best coverage move for Slurpuff in NU just because Dragalgae and other Poison types are here, but Surf and Thunderbolt are probably just as good. Flamethrower is not as good in NU as it is in other types because Steelix is really one of the only viable Steel type Pokemon in NU at the moment now that Magneton and Doublade are gone (there's Ferroseed and Probopass too I guess).

Slurpuff doesn't seem too strong for NU right now as I thought it would be, but it is definitely one of the strongest Pokemon in the tier atm.
This set sucks to face if it can get a free turn.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Oh I almost forgot, Unnerve Pyroar now has some use for its ability~ though I expect Pyroar to struggle with Calm Mind + Surf Slurpuff, all the more reason for me to believe that Calm Mind Puff is the better meta play, despite how appealing 'ZOMG +6 ATK +2 SPE IN ONE TURN' is. Slurpuff is also nice for offensive teams to have since they usually struggle with Gurdurr.

By the way, if Slurpuff does manage to defeat Pyroar one on one and be left with < 50%, would its Berry activate on the end of the turn (before next mon is sent out)? Because that would be pretty scary. inb4 Incinerate Pyroar even tho it still activates Unburden bc fuk ur Sitrus Slurpuff gg

I would argue that the offensive metagame actually gives Slurpuff more chances to set up, at least for the Calm Mind variants since stall is their bane. While Slurpuff doesn't find too many opportunities to set up, choiced Pokemon like Sawk, Pangoro and Primeape can be used as setup fodder for it.
None of this makes sense to me. Primeape U-turns, Pangoro Parting Shots, and Sawk Earthquakes. Problem solved. If you click a Fighting-type move with a Choice-locked Pokemon while your opponent has a Slurpuff, you deserve to get set up on. I also don't see how stall is Slurpuff's bane at all? Calm Mind wrecks stall. Like the only (good) offensive Pokemon in the meta that it can set up on are non-SD Shiftry, Choice Band Spiritomb locked into Pursuit or Sucker Punch, and non-Poison Jab Gurdurr.

None of this makes sense to me. Primeape U-turns, Pangoro Parting Shots, and Sawk Earthquakes. Problem solved. If you click a Fighting-type move with a Choice-locked Pokemon while your opponent has a Slurpuff, you deserve to get set up on. I also don't see how stall is Slurpuff's bane at all? Calm Mind wrecks stall. Like the only (good) offensive Pokemon in the meta that it can set up on are non-SD Shiftry, Choice Band Spiritomb locked into Pursuit or Sucker Punch, and non-Poison Jab Gurdurr.
I mean that if they're already locked into something that Slurpuff can take, so Slurpuff can force a switch. Slurpuff is coming in late game so something dies then Slurpuff starts setting up. Stall is much worse for Calm Mind Slurpuff since it is very vulnerable to Toxic and may not be able to break through certain special walls if it doesn't have enough boosts from Calm Mind. Most of my losses with Slurpuff in earlier tiers at least have been from stall, not dying early from offense.

yay evire :DDD. I'm really glad we got it, I think it will be a lot of fun in this metagame, it hits everything super effectively! Specially based mix looks like the best set, but I'll probably test out a physical one too.

this is my 3k post fuck all of you

shoutout to Zebraiken for bein a fren
FLCL too
and Hollywood for bein a spammer

:D no one respond to this or ill ban you

Soulgazer is a weeaboo
Ban Meh.

Also Magmortar definitely received some solid competition with the introduction of Electivire, and I feel the clear difference in E Vire takes advantage of greater speed, but in terms of a pure wallbreaker Magmortar's pure power can be put to much better use. Also below is one of my fav Slurpuff cause nobody uses it. Its a cool bulky attacker that can decimate offensive teams with great coverage, and supports your own allies with solid Cleric support. #bigpicturecauseican

Slurpuff @ Leftovers
EVs: 8 Spd / 252 SAtk / 248 HP
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Surf / Energy Ball
- Aromatherapy

Last edited:
I mean that if they're already locked into something that Slurpuff can take, so Slurpuff can force a switch. Slurpuff is coming in late game so something dies then Slurpuff starts setting up. Stall is much worse for Calm Mind Slurpuff since it is very vulnerable to Toxic and may not be able to break through certain special walls if it doesn't have enough boosts from Calm Mind. Most of my losses with Slurpuff in earlier tiers at least have been from stall, not dying early from offense.
I understand exactly what you mean about Choice-locked Fighting-types. Exactly what I said was that you have no business locking into a Fighting-type move while your opponent has a Slurpuff on his team because if you do, they can set up on you.

Your point about stall is fair, but Slurpuff can still break down a lot of bulky stuff with its amazing coverage before it dies. If anything, Slurpuff is more of a wallbreaker vs. stall and defensively-oriented teams than it is a sweeper. You could also run Aromatherapy if your goal with CM Slurpuff is to beat stall.

Who knew that a Pokemon that looks like a cupcake would draw so much attention XD. But yea i see it being a solid Pokemon for almost any team, it can be a wall breaker, a sweeper, a cleric what else can you ask out of one Pokemon? It even saw use in UU with the Unburden/Belly Drum combo and performed rather well even there, who ever knew that a big pink cupcake that can't keep its own tongue in its mouth would ever exist let alone be such a dangerous threat if it finds time to set up, as for E-vire i see him fitting in rather nicely especially with all the Magneton that where running around before the changes. He provides NU with another viable electric type that can hit hard physically and if you choose too specially or even mixed as well, i see him fitting in right at home in the NU tier. It should be interesting to see just how much impact these two really have on the NU tier long term and i can't wait to test them out for myself when i get the chance.

Last edited:

Slurpuff @ Leftovers
Ability: Sweet Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish / Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Play Rough / Dazzling Gleam
- Aromatherapy

It seems to me that Slurpuff could have another effective role in the NU metagame, that of a Wish passer and cleric. It faces competition from Lickilicky and, I dunno, Wigglytuff maybe, but this thing is really nice because it checks / counters several of the top Pokémon in the tier! It counters Spiritomb, Gurdurr, Malamar, Poliwrath, and Liepard, and checks Sawk, Shiftry (uninvested Leaf Storm won't come close to KOing, and you can heal off the damage with Wish. Knock off will conveniently allow you to outspeed it), Pangoro, offensive Accelgor, and others. It's also significantly faster than its competition for the role of Wishpasser. There's also the fact that most will expect you to be a setup sweeper, however that might help you. If you don't need Aromatherapy there are a number of things you could replace it with, such as Flamethrower, Surf, or even Belly Drum.

This defensive set seems to me like a really nice counterweight to many of the biggest threats in the NU tier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)