np: NU Stage 2 - Part of Your World

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol it happens to all of us. Perhaps you were thinking of Grumpig, which you had provided with Wish support from something like Lickilicky or Audino, which would make sense, considering their excellent synergy with eachother

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
God, specs exeggutor is so good in this metagame, it 2HKOes literally everything but murkrow with the appropriate attack move (and even krow has a hard time). Its leaf storm hits harder than porygon-z's download boosted specs tri attack, everything that resists leaf storm gets mauled by other attacks etc. sleep powder cripples the dew things that can actually take eggy on, easily revenged, but still a humongous threat.

eggy leaf storm vs max/max lickilicky: 574 Atk vs 317 Def & 424 HP (140 Base Power): 271 - 321 (63.92% - 75.71%)

download boosted peezy tri attack vs lickilicky: 910 Atk vs 317 Def & 424 HP (80 Base Power): 246 - 291 (58.02% - 68.63%)

basically, every time eggy comes in safely, something dies if you predict correctly, sounds like porygon-z when it was RU imo

word, specs eggy is an absolute juggernaut. i've had the pleasure of seeing people try to switch swellow into a leaf storm. 120.99-142.37%. on a resisted hit. i know swellow is far from bulky, but thats just insane. honestly, i've been juggling around the idea of running vullaby in response lol. i mean, he is fairly bulky w/eviolite, answers to most psychics (mesprit...) pretty well, and gets a handful of neat moves (roost, whirlwind, knock off, u-turn, etc.). i was contemplating something along the lines of:
Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Big Pecks
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Knock Off / Toxic / U-Turn

ends up with 343 hp / 284 def / 376 spd, which ain't at all bad, despite lack of lefties. could, in theory, shuffle around fairly well, and basically knock off erry item forever, which is always a plus. of course, this is all on paper, i gotta test around. thoughts?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'd always use Murkrow in that situation, Prankster and that extra offense is SO good.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Molk, weren't you the one that proved that SpD Kecleon countered Specs Eggy?? I don't think I'd use Vullaby to deal with it though (also lol @ using "he" to describe a female-only mon col49 :P). Perhaps it's just the way I play, but I find it really difficult to get a turn for Eggy to just waltz in and attack. Nearly all offensive Pokemon have some sort of coverage move to hit it (and with no investment in defenses, even non-STAB moves can hit it pretty hard) and defensive Pokemon can recover after its Leaf Storm etc. I was always under the impression that Licki handled it pretty well anyway.

oh, yeah, they are only female, aren't they? something in me just always associates mandibuzz/vullaby to hardcore metalheads, which just correlates to the male gender for me personally. also hardcore drugs, but that's another issue in itself i suppose .-. as for the issue of switching him in, i personally haven't found it all too difficult. noted that i usually used him in conjunction with stuff like licki to lure in sawk & pals and provide wish support, but notwithstanding it isn't utterly difficult to switch him in on a handful of choice/support pokes in the tier. sure stuff like magmortar completely prevent him from coming in and doing what needs to be done, that's sorta to be expected :P plus, as molk demonstrated, eggy's leaf storm still 2hkoes stuff like licki after sr if it trys to switch in (assuming for min damage, satk drops, the works). so yerr, specs eggy is fun. almost as fun as otr, but i digress. side note, im definitely making a team w/vullaby, and i will knock off all the things :3

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Has anyone else noticed that Magic Coat Bastiodon leads are everywhere all of a sudden?? It's pretty effective, caught me off guard a few times. Was it in an RMT or something?

Bastiodon works perfectly for reflecting back any hazards that are ever so prominent. One great thing about that, is now Shedinja can be used more, because you won't have to worry about packing one of those very weak rapid spinners down in this tier. I've personally be running a special set, and it's been working out pretty good so far. This thing can tank hits like crazy:

Bastiodon@Lefties
Trait: Sturdy
Calm Nature (-Atk, +SpDef)
252HP/76Def/180SpDef
Magic Coat
Magnet Rise
Metal Burst
Thunder/Fire Blast/Blizzard

It requires a lot of prediction to use this set right, and one misclick or misprediction, and it seriously can go all down hill. Metal Burst is perfect because you also have Sturdy to guarantee you can pull it off at least once. Not so sure what to use in the third slot, but I usually go for an attacking move rather than Toxic so I'm not completely Taunt'd out.

Bastooidon dosen't prevent any hazards being set while it switches in, but not much can do that except Magic Bounce so, eh.

And Bastooidon is complete set-up bait for anything with Substitute without Roar. CM Mespirit walks all over that set, as does SubPunch Khan.

My course of action would be to set up hazards when I can, when Bast comes in, I'd just switch to something with Sub.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Bastiodon is pretty bad. The only reason people should use it is just roar, and even then I prefer Lairon, which at least can cause damage by itself (90 base attack head smash).

Oh and exeggutor is good, but is not like ''Porygon-Z in RU'' mainly because exeggutor is piss slow, so even if it get on the field, a lot of offensive pokemon can get a hit on it. It's certainly a huge threat for every threat, just consider Modest Specs Eggy it has more power than standard Specs Latios, which is really something.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Specs Exeggutor has the same power level as Specs Hydreigon. The numbers are all identical: base 125 Special Attack, Modest, Specs, and a 140 Base power attack. Kinda like how Zweilous = Zekrom or Rayquaza.

Anyway, Vileplume needs more love. It's actually really good! It has decent bulk and Moonlight, base 100 Special Attack, absorbs Toxic Spikes, and it has some cool support moves, namely Aromatherapy, Leech Seed, and Sleep Powder. I've been using it as a physical wall, and it holds up really well.

Aromatherapy + Rest Throh is a handy combo. Heal off damage, switch out, and have Vileplume heal the sleep. Circle Throw can really throw off the opponent too.

There are a lot of NU mons I believe deserve to be BL2 or higher in tiering, due to their immense power or amazing defenses. I am actually considering using a Special Vespiquen set:

Vespiquen @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP, 176 SpDef, 84 Speed
Moves:

1. Roost
2. Signal Beam
3. Power Gem
4. Substitute / Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Fire

Time to make an NU team based around Vespiquen and see how it goes.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
There are a lot of NU mons I believe deserve to be BL2 or higher in tiering, due to their immense power or amazing defenses. I am actually considering using a Special Vespiquen set:

Vespiquen @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP, 176 SpDef, 84 Speed
Moves:

1. Roost
2. Signal Beam
3. Power Gem
4. Substitute / Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Fire

Time to make an NU team based around Vespiquen and see how it goes.
What does this have over Butterfree or Masquerain, both of whom can boost with Quiver Dance (and have much better abilities/Sleep Powder and coverage, respectively)? I don't know why you'd ever use Vespiquen instead of them...

Can't take that post seriously...base 80 spA isn't going to be doing a thing to most pokes (read: all). The coverage is bad. If anything, Vespi is a sub/heal order/defend/toxic staller.

I would use a bastiodon like Agrron in RU. Put red card on it and have Metal Burst / Magic Coat / Filler / Filler. I've gotten ragequits pulling off the combo and taking out a scarfer or a threat from the opponent's team doing that (I've used Red Card Bastiodon before btw).

I would use a bastiodon like Agrron in RU. Put red card on it and have Metal Burst / Magic Coat / Filler / Filler. I've gotten ragequits pulling off the combo and taking out a scarfer or a threat from the opponent's team doing that (I've used Red Card Bastiodon before btw).
if you aren't using aggron to head smash errything, then yer doing something wrong .-.

or if someone hits you with a weak attack to break sturdy, hazards break sturdy, a poke runs taunt, you get burned, etc etc. plus it's at best a clean 1-for-1 deal at best, and although ya could get lucky and remove a threat to your team, it could just as easily pick off a liability to the opponent in the match-up. i guess it could work, but it's a tad to up in the air for me personally :/

edit: slash taunt, i always forget metal burst is technically an attack -_-

SubCM Serp.

With it on my team, I've peaked at number four.

Without it on my team, I haven't gotten anywhere close. And my teams aren't discrete entities: I have one team in which I'm frequently replacing members, and it's that simple– if I remove Serperior, I do significantly worse.

Purely anecdotal, I know, but it works.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i agree that subCM serperior is amazing, i nearly lost to it a few times during my climb on the ladder, its really a monster if it can find a setup oppritunity, and the recovery from giga drain always helps, the only problem is deciding on which Hidden Power to use, rock is usually the best choice imo

jake

underdog of the year
i agree that subCM serperior is amazing, i nearly lost to it a few times during my climb on the ladder, its really a monster if it can find a setup oppritunity, and the recovery from giga drain always helps, the only problem is deciding on which Hidden Power to use, rock is usually the best choice imo
the only reason to use any other hidden power type would be to hit grass/poison-types with like stab sludge bomb (vileplume/amoonguss), because other grasses really are just set-up bait and hp rock hits nearly everything serp wants to hit anyway

plus grass/poisons have plenty of weaknesses to explore! also serp needs a poison-type teammate or spinner because toxic spikes suuuuuuck. muk is cool and beats dem other grassers you guys should try it because i haven't really

Yeah, I was using Ice for awhile for a better hit on Amoongus, Vileplume and Altaria. I was less screwed against Fire-types than I would have thought (For Magmortar, a combination of a few SR switches and Life Orb damage usually brought them down to kill range after a few subs, and there aren't too many other great Fire-types). I switched to Rock earlier today, and honestly I'm considering switching back.

Tbh I always thought Serp was underwhelming in any set, whether it be subCM, subCoil or subseed. I always preferred other grass types with a sub typing for a variety of roles.

jake

underdog of the year
Tbh I always thought Serp was underwhelming in any set, whether it be subCM, subCoil or subseed. I always preferred other grass types with a sub typing for a variety of roles.
Perhaps it's just me, but Serperior has always been my go-to Grass-type booster (aside from SubSD Leafeon, which is excellent, though the recent popularity of those mentioned Grass/Poison-types sucks). Serp's outstanding Speed is really the best part about him, outrunning various major threats and being able to boost in their face. I'm not a fan of SubSeed Serp however, but then again I'm not a fan of SubSeed anything (save SubSeed Exeggutor which is amazing you guys should definitely try it!!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)