np: NU Stage 3 - Riders on the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
SD Sawbuck has to be up there. And SD Samurott for me too because of its bulk and general utility. Absol is up there but it is a bit frail and people over prepare for it. NP Jynx is a bit too frail to be consistent imo but it is deadly if given a free turn but again I feel people over prepare for it too. For me the real joker of the pack is BU Gurdurr, it is pretty anti-meta in that it loves status and once it even gets to +1 it can be a bitch to take down. It has genuinely few counters and is relatively easy to set up mid-late game.

I'm going to have to agree with No Luck Involved on Gurdurr. Even unboosted your opponent will be hard-pressed on OHKO it with any move that isn't STAB and supereffective. I've ended a number of battles so far with Gurdurr going to town at +1 and I'm using him on a rain team with Ludicolo and Huntail!

Gurdurr is definitely strong and hard to handle without a bulky psychic type; in fcat my best Gurdurr check is my own Gurdurr. Still SubSD Sawsbuck is just amazing against any Tangela without HP Ice. It sets up quite easily, and hits quite hard even without a coverage move. Sap Sipper is a great ability.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I used Solrock over Regirock for a while because it could use Will O Wisp on stuff and Zen Headbutt Roselia, but that was obviously a while ago, and it wasn't particularly great then either.

Musharna is absolutely amazing as a set-up sweeper and in general.

Musharna (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize / Forewarn
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Musharna has insane bulk allowing it to easily set-up and great Special Attack even without EV's. Thunder Wave cripples shit and Moonlight helps heal. If you can stay away from Toxic (although poisoning opponents with synchronize is cool) and Dark-types, you'll have an easy time sweeping. Absol and Skuntank becoming more common isn't helping, but I just wanted to bring to attention the amazing-ness of Musharna.

That's not the only good set that Musharna can run. Trick Room is great too as it actually has a pretty high Special Attack stat of 107 and of course that amazing bulk. Something like Trick Room / Psychic / HP Fighting / Moonlight is good, or you could run Shadow Ball in one of the last two slots.

Baton Pass Musharna is also great too on Baton Pass teams. I've even seen cbb use Specs Musharna successfully... although I'm not sure how useful Specs Musharna actually is.

Anyways, try out Musharna sometime! It's realllllly bulky and it also has an impressive Special Attack stat.

Also, I'm loving Flareon so far. It's a great check to sun teams and various other powerful special attackers, including the aforementioned Calm Mind Musharna.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Trick Room LO Musharna is really really powerful. It works great on a dedicated TR team, and can sweep on its own. The thing needs more usage in general, its a great wall, even if the omnipresence of Absol and Skuntank cuts it down a lot.

Yeah cbb used Band Emboar and Specs Musharna and they screwed me over the first time because I kept expecting Emboar to be scarfed, but once you know the set they're not as threatening.

CrashinBoomBang was talking about running Hidden Power Bug Gorebyss in the rain to bypass rain Gorebyss' biggest checks, Ludicolo and Jynx. It already OHKO's most relevant Water-types with Hydro Pump under the rain, which are the main targets of Hidden Power Grass. I think this isn't a bad idea... only problem is it needs either a lucky damage roll or SR to secure the KO on defensive Ludicolo's. It doesn't even OHKO all the time after SR on fully specially defensive Ludicolo's, but those are pretty rare.

Basically, if a Gorebyss ran Shell Smash / Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Hidden Power Bug @ Life Orb, it'd be incredibly hard to check. How would you handle this kind of Gorebyss? This kind of Gorebyss does have some difficulties setting up, and it's pretty weak to priority, but if it manages to set-up, you lack priority, or a reallllly bulky Water-type such as Lapras, what else could you run to beat it?

Also, has anybody used Choice Band Braviary lately? It hits extremely hard, even harder than Swellow. Not only that, but it has actually usable bulk, doesn't die as fast, and most importantly, Superpower to hit Rock- and Steel-types. Anyways, I'm not just talking about it to compare it to Swellow (neither are superior), but because it can easily break down various teams. A lot of teams only have Tangela as a physical wall, and Braviary just Brave Bird's through it. Want some calcs? Here. (Courtesy of Molk.)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Basically, if a Gorebyss ran Shell Smash / Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Hidden Power Bug @ Life Orb, it'd be incredibly hard to check. How would you handle this kind of Gorebyss? This kind of Gorebyss does have some difficulties setting up, and it's pretty weak to priority, but if it manages to set-up, you lack priority, or a reallllly bulky Water-type such as Lapras, what else could you run to beat it?
Without HP Grass, Quagsire suddenly becomes a much stronger check to Gore, especially if it's specially defensive. Hydro Pump is still going to hurt though (I suppose this falls under the really bulky Water-type category).

Otherwise yeah HP Bug sounds like a really good idea, good fine Crash and DTC :)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hydro pump in rain vs quagsire: 327 Atk vs 166 Def & 394 HP (120 Base Power): 381 - 448 (96.70% - 113.71%)

GOREBYSS HAS NO COUNTERS

except this

rapid spin support GG gorebyss AND most rain teams

also i love CB braviary, it hits like a fucking truck as you can see from my calcs, and it can take reasonably strong hits well. Really the only thing that can take on CB braviary is metang, who is bad and should never be used no matter what, Cb braviary should be used more, and imo is a forgotten gem in the tier

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hydro pump in rain vs quagsire: 327 Atk vs 166 Def & 394 HP (120 Base Power): 381 - 448 (96.70% - 113.71%)

GOREBYSS HAS NO COUNTERS
Gorebyss counter you say?, don't worry I got this:

Joke aside, Band Braviary looks really good on paper so I hope it is as good on actual battle and only lol Metang being safe at all is nice too, only problem I see is 80 speed that makes it relatively easy to be revenged but that is nothing a bit of support can't fix.

Random shit nobody cares about: Fuck Jynx and her never missing Lovely Kiss that give 4 turns sleeps every single time.

If HP Bug is becoming more popular on Gorebyss, (I wouldn't know) but SpD Lapras!!
252 +2 SpAtk Gorebyss Hidden Power Bug vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Lapras: 22.41% - 26.51%
Lapras (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt
~ Roar / Surf
~ Heal Bell / Toxic

This actually looks pretty good with all the rain sweepers around actually.

I guess I'm a paranoid bastard but every single pokemon on my recent teams has a move to cover Sap Sipper switch-ins, or other dastardly grass-types that think they can play on a free switch.

Eat an Ice Beam, Sawsbuck.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
bs people staling my HP Bug Gorebyss.

Anyway yeah its really legit, taking on what I would say are the most common checks to Gorebyss; Jynx and Ludicolo. It has problems with Quagsire but it is so much easier to find something that can easily switch into Quagsire than it is to find something that can always switch in against the other two. The only real problem is setting it up, but with a bit of team support (Dual Screens, maybe even Memento), I can see it being deadly. Lapras does become a strong counter yes, but I question the viabilty of Lapras outside of that role. Being a Stealth Rock weak wall without reliable recovery and being generally outclassed by Cryogonal as an Ice type and wall means I would struggle to fit it into a regular team.

I've been using CB Braviary and can confirm it absolutely wrecks. Its a lot better at breaking down stall or balanced teams than Swellow is, both with brute force and coverage, as well as U-Turn to wear down Metang/Regirock before hitting them with a timely Superpower. It does need a way to keep Stealth Rocks away, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a spinner. I have not tested it with Spikes support, but I imagine that would become even more dangerous, especially to most of its regular checks.

Braviary can struggle to break down really offensive teams, as it finds it difficult to switch in and get off an attack before dying. Choice Scarf can kindof get around this but eh, the power of Band is too good to pass up imo. If you want that really fast bird then use Swellow.

there hasn't been a post here in awhile, so what do you guys think of Sawk?

A lot of people on irc say that CS Sawk is below average and not worth it in this meta but i completely disagree. Scarf Sawk still hits quite hard(Base 125 attack can't not hit hard) and is a great late game cleaner. While band Sawk just fucks everything that doesn't resist it or is named Tangela. What do you guys think of Sawk? Is he still a huge threat or is he washed up?

Sawk's problem has always been its below average bulk and lack of useful resistances. Sturdy compensates for it hugely but it can't really safely switch into any major offensive Pokemon and that has gotten worse with the new dropdowns. Scarf Sawk's revenge killing usefulness has also taken a slight hit because of the new weather threats outspeeding everything in weather. Last round I think Sawk was easier to fit onto a team because you could throw Absol, Magmortar, Sawk, Rotom-S, Gorebyss, you-name-it... onto a hyper offense team and you'd plow through stuff. This time around the metagame has matured and there are some slightly new threats and playstyles to consider so I think Sawk being a glass cannon is not automatically making it onto teams that need more bulk now to play around stuff.

Also I think Gurdurr has risen to some prominence as a really hard threat to beat so I think the trend for a Fighting type has shifted that way at least for now. Golem wasn't that common for setting SR last round but it is everywhere now and Sawk can't come in for free as easily as on Probopass or Bastiodon for example so I think that's another trend that has limited Sawk's usefulness. Once things start shifting again I'm sure Sawk will get some more love again because it is ridiculously hard to switch into (especially Band).

While Scarf Sawk isn't as useful as he used to be (some teams are STILL over-prepared for this guy), he's still a very useful revenge killer and cleaner.
The only problem is that the amount of Pokemon that can out-speed him has essentially tripled since the tier shifts, due to the current most dominant strategy being weather offence. Many Chloro and SS Pokemon can easily take Sawk down without breaking a sweat with their high speed and offensive stats. The fact that Sawk is vulnerable to every type of entry hazard doesn't help him much either, as Sturdy is rarely able to activate.

Band Sawk, imo, is largely in the same boat as Scarf Sawk when it comes to being taken down a peg by the spike in weather abusers. Weather offers power as well as speed.

Why use Band Sawk or Scarf Sawk when you can use something like Gorebyss in the Rain? Gory has her Speed doubled as well as her most powerful attack, Hydro Pump, powered up to ridiculous levels. While talking about Gorebyss, I'd also like to mention that a Shell Smash'd 'Byss in the Rain is absolutely devastating, even if it can be seen coming from a mile away. It's hard to set up, but nothing out-speeds, and nothing out-damages.

Scarf Sawk definitely isn't inferior to Band Sawk, it's just a lot easier to wall. Quagsire, Exeggutor, Gurdurr, Golbat, Seadra, bulky Torterra, defensive Luxray, offensive Tangela, Hypno, Meganium, etc. all avoid a 2HKO from Scarf Sawk. There's much more than that, of course, and Scarf Sawk can't just spam Close Combat like Band Sawk; get rid of the few fighting resists through Earthquake/Stone Edge and you're set. In fact, the frailer resists such as Rotom-S and Altaria get 2HKO'd by Choice Band Close Combat.

I've found that it is overwhelmingly easy to just run through many teams with just Band Close Combat. Many people think that Pokemon such as Rotom-S and Muk will save them, but they're wrong. Having a Sawk weakness is one of the worst things you can have, especially because of Sturdy. Luckily, it's countered by quite a few Pokemon; Musharna, Weezing, Misdreavus, Duosion, Amoonguss, Tangela, Vileplume, and a few other Pokemon all counter Sawk. A few however are overcome they have taken some prior damage and Sawk is Adamant.

But anyways, Sawk is really annoying to beat without one of those Pokemon. Sturdy doesn't help either making you have to set-up SR/Spikes/whatever so you can have a chance at OHKO'ing it. Sawk deserves all the usage gets and potentially more. It may be countered by quite a few threats and is not very fast, but it can easily rip through teams thanks to its insane power; you just need to remove those threats. Watch how easily teams crumble to Choice Band Close Combat if they don't have any good resists. (Good resists as in Pokemon that can actually not get 2HKO'd a CB Close Combat after SR)

However, I wouldn't go as far to say that it's broken. It's very powerful, especially if you lack good resists, and it's one of those Pokemon that you NEED to prepare for, but it's not overly challenging to prepare for it, nor does Sawk wallbreak too well.

@ChaoticaMortis: Sawk can really threaten weather offense teams as well. Usually they don't set-up SR right away or at all so Choice Band Sawk can deal some serious damage to them when Rain Dance/Sunny Day wares off. I know I had a sun team that struggled with Sawk; I even had to give Exeggutor a lot of extra Defense EV's to deal with it. Part of the problem with beating Sawk was identifying whether it was Scarf or not, then I had to send out the appropriate Pokemon to beat it. Personally, Scarf Sawk was much easier to deal with on that team.

Also, the answer to your last question is simple: Sawk is a powerful wallbreaker right from the start that doesn't need to set-up or other Pokemon to set-up for it to be devastating. Try out Choice Band Adamant Sawk for a few matches. You'll be impressed by its power.

there is a set posted in Research Week that needs more love, CBB's CB Rampardos. It's unique ability Mold Breaker allows it to ignore sturdy and score OHKO's on Golem, Probopass, Bastiodon, Lairon AND Gigalith. The ridiculous amount of power extends beyond that, Head Smash can remove basically anything from the game at the cost of half your life. Rampardos is a great asset against defensive teams, or teams with anything slow. If they give you one free switch-in they lose a mon. I've considered using it with wish support but have yet to try it.

Rampardos (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock

With Stealth rock hindering so many pokemon in this meta(Charizard / Jynx / Magmortar / Butterfree / swellow / braviary) what do you guys use to keep the rocks off the field? I've been forced to run a combination of CB Rampardos and Cryogonal just to keep rocks off the field. Would natu be viable? magic coat mons who can weaken sturdy users? Post suggesting anything that can be used to keep the rocks off the field!

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
One Pokemon that I've been getting really good results from is Tentacool. Its special bulk is great, it absorbs Toxic Spikes and can set its own, and it's one of the only good Rapid Spin users in NU. Knock Off and Liquid Ooze (Tentacool's ability, remember?) give it some extra utility, and its base 70 Speed is actually quite fast. Aside from the weak physical defense, Tentacool is great! Why doesn't anyone use it? It's fast becoming one of my mainstays, like Probopass and Tropius.

With Giga Drain, Tentacool is an amazing Gorebyss counter. After a Smash, the pink fish is 2HKOed (it dealt about 50% when I used it, maybe a 2HKO with Rocks?) and Tentacool isn't even scratched by its attacks.

Here's the set:

Tentacool @ Eviolite Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain

I think that replacing Knock Off with Scald would work. One of Tentacool's problems is it's lack of offensive power, especially with just a weak Giga Drain at its disposal.

OK, everybody saying that Metang is bad is (mostly) right if they used it as a purely defensive tank-y thing. However, it's actually not THAT bad...it has a minor advantage of being neutral to Superpower and access to Meteor Mash which is a decent attacking option given the relative lack of Water-types. It can also easily switch in on spinners and put its hazards back up while beating a lot of other common hazard-setters and spinners (except Wartortle).

Metang @ Eviolite
208 HP/252 Atk/48 Spe
Adamant / Clear Body

Stealth Rock
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Bullet Punch/Toxic

Look familiar? It better, because it's the exact same old set Metagross used to run in DPP OU, with a pinch of speed to be faster than uninvested base 55s. It 2hko's defensive Armaldo with Meteor Mash, 2hko's Golem while only having a very slight chance of being 2hko'ed by Earthquake/Sucker Punch (could optimize EVs to avoid that, but I'm lazy), easily beats Tentacool and Cryogonal, can wear down Garbodor and Omanyte/Shelmet/whatever other random things people use for hazards and can easily tank unboosted earthquakes from the likes of Tauros. As a bonus, it can wall most physical Dragons while fishing for a Meteor Mash attack boost or crit or stalling for Toxic if that's your thing. Pairs well defensively with Ludicolo and Alomomola, and it also pairs reasonably well with Flareon. Offensively, try using it with things like Sawsbuck, Rapidash, and Samurott, all of who can overwhelm physical walls while having a tanky attacker to fall back on for threats that outspeed them like Haunter and Jynx.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ive tried that set, and similar varients, and metang is just too... weak to be used as a tank, almost all physical attackers without a boosting move need at least 100 base attack to do much of anything from my experience, several times metang has cost me the game when i couldhave easily won if i had simply used golem. Metang also has literally NO recovery, not even leftovers, meaning if anything metang is the one thats going to be worn down during the course of a match, metang would be cool if it had at least 100 base attack, but its really "that bad" its walled by soooo much, and it cant even OHKO jynx with bullet punch -__-.

seriously people, dont use metang, it isnt worth it, is checking a few pokemon, and being terrible otherwise REALLY worth it?

list of things that metang checks:

swellow

braviary

jynx

duosion

musharna

the lack of recovery means it cannot switch into these things repeatedly, and will fall eventually

the list of things that wall/outright beat it is much much longer....

That's why I didn't like Metang. I appreciate that it has respectable bulk, and has good walling potential, but holy fucking shit that thing is total set up bait for mons like SubNP Missy and Gorebyss. Atleast with Probopass and Regirock you can either Volt Switch out or hit it on the switch in. Even Bastiodon can Roar 9.9

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
list of things that metang checks:
duosion
Actually Duosion can set up on Metang face and recover the damage when it is scared and eventually defeat it with either Shadow Ball or HP Fighting.

Seriously, I hope you kids NEVER consider using Metang it is so bad and set up bait for a lot of dangerous pokemon, so weak that he cant kill Jynx with Bullet Punch without the help of SR with the spread on this thread and the one in the analysis CAN'T DO IT EVEN WITH STEALTH ROCK.

@November Blue

The problem with Tentacool is that its setup bait for 3/4 of the meta. It's talents include spinning once before dying and checking specially based water types(So Ludicolo and Gorebyss). Tentacool isn't a terrible mon, but I feel its just to weak to be useful, especially wit the increase in offense this meta. It can be useful for checking rain teams for a few seconds. And choosing between liquid ooze(and therefore beating ludicolo) and rain dish(actual recovery) can be hard if you want it to beat rain. I'd go for the former though.

@lady Shinki

Metang is just to weak to do anytihng, it can be difficult to wear down but throughout a match it really takes a beating. It's only useful for checking Jynx and braviary at the same time imo.

Also, mixed Absol is not a joke. Fire Blasting Tangela is satisfying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)