np: NU Stage 5 - Won't Get Fooled Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the Raseri method just because I don't want to be outrun by other Golurk. And since it is really common. Once you get outrun by another Golurk you don't want it to happen again

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
A little thing about golurk I'd like to add: Everyone is goind crazy about how it 2HKO's alomomola and tangela after hazards with the CB set, but it's pretty easy to abuse the fact golurk is choice locked with regenerator. Plus the moves in which he tends to lock himself the most often are among the easiest to abuse: Earthquake immunities are just way too common and ice punch is unstabbed and pretty weak on pokemon that resist it and some like samurott can easily grab a nearly free set up or powerful hit (shadow punch is not as common but also finds a lot of immune pokes in NU and a way to get a free toxiced zanz who hits a free facade). Wartortle can also abuse choice locked ice punch and completley troll golurk's spinblocking capacities. Still a great offensive mon but it isn't breaking most regen cores even after hazards without crazy luck and prediction, and as FLCL said, missy is still a better spinblocker when it comes to spinblocking only.

everyone is talking about CB golurk, but what about scarf golurk? I've been running one with No Guard Dynamic Punch with Scarf, and so far he worked great, even as a lead he can do things like OHKO Golems (Dynamic Punch leaves him with 1 HP, he hurts himself out of confusion and faints). No Guard also gives him a 100% accuracy Stone Edge (god I hate its 80% accuracy so much), and with a Scarf + Jolly nature, he can outspeed and OHKO even the faster flying types like Dodrio.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
The only thing about that is that Golurk is noticeably weaker without an Adamant Nature / Choice Band which means it can't do any damage to things like Amoonguss and Alomomola. You're much better off running Cinccino who can do the exact things that Scarf Golurk does as it kills Golem with Bullet Seed and beats down flying types with Rock Blast. There are much better scarfers anyways like, Rotom-S, Braviary, etc.

The only thing about that is that Golurk is noticeably weaker without an Adamant Nature / Choice Band which means it can't do any damage to things like Amoonguss and Alomomola. You're much better off running Cinccino who can do the exact things that Scarf Golurk does as it kills Golem with Bullet Seed and beats down flying types with Rock Blast. There are much better scarfers anyways like, Rotom-S, Braviary, etc.
yes but most people assume that Golurks always run the CB Iron Fist set, and scarf is perfect to catch them offguard. its really easy to see someone switch to a flying type like braviary when going against a golurk, only to get 2HKOed by Dynamic Punch, and even if they switch to a wall like alomomola or weezing, most of the time they will switch out instead of staying confused.

I think it may have been you who used that scarfed against me, chimp. (I was using an alt, Garbagio.) I can actually attest to its effectiveness. It may have slightly underwhelming power, but its COMPLETELY unexpected. I think it took out 2 of my poke's before i figured out the scarf was there (because after the first, I figured you were running the Raseri method of Lurk).

We will definitely see a rise in usage of Amoonguss for two main reasons:

1. Regenerator
2. Magmortar, a major Amoonguss counter because of typing and Vital Spirit, has been banned.

Since Spore is what makes Amoonguss so powerful in NU, Taunt will become more useful, but this won't likely directly change usages since so many Pokemon can learn Taunt.

1. Regenerator
2. Magmortar, a major Amoonguss counter because of typing and Vital Spirit, has been banned.

Since Spore is what makes Amoonguss so powerful in NU, Taunt will become more useful, but this won't likely directly change usages since so many Pokemon can learn Taunt.
seriously, what can counter amoonguss? I can only think of psychic types like Gardevoir and Musharna with Synchronize, and Emboar with a RestTalk set. not even Taunt can really counter it, since he can just spam Giga Drain to keep his health high (if I remember correctly, not even a critical Psycho Cut from an Absol can OHKO it, while Amoonguss can easily 2HKO it back with Giga Drain) or cancel a set up attempt with Clear Smog.

@edit: thinking about it now, a LO/CB boosted Brave Bird from Braviary or Dodrio can OHKO even the most physically defensive Amoonguss, as can a Swellow after Guts has activated. about fire types though, I can't remember of one that can really counter it aside from the already mentioned Emboar, now with Magmortar gone.

....or anything immune to grass, especially sap sipper miltank, who can heal itself, cure status, and generally wall amoongus, forcing either a switch to something else, or just spamming it to death with body slam.

Sap sipper miltank is also an ok anti-cincinno pokemon, as long as you can bait a bullet seed (with say, golem). With defense investment (I split 152defense, 104specialdefense) tail slap is a 3HKO, but body slam 2HKO's the cincino, with the +1 from the switch.
Jolly LO Tail Slap vs 252HP, 152 Def Miltank: 162-192 (41.11 - 48.73%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Body Slam (same pairing): 172-204 (58.9 - 69.86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Amoonguss will (hopefully) go to the upper tiers.
Are you certain? It would seem from some people's point of view that while Amoongus is a good Pokemon in RU, it still has trouble with getting a teamslot over Tangrowth, who has arguably better overall bulk and can actually attack an opponent with its really terrific offenses, only having trouble with its SpDef and Speed. What about Amoongus? Outside of Spore, what does he bring to the table over Tangrowth? Or another Grass-type in RU/UU?

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Are you certain? It would seem from some people's point of view that while Amoongus is a good Pokemon in RU, it still has trouble with getting a teamslot over Tangrowth, who has arguably better overall bulk and can actually attack an opponent with its really terrific offenses, only having trouble with its SpDef and Speed. What about Amoongus? Outside of Spore, what does he bring to the table over Tangrowth? Or another Grass-type in RU/UU?
Amoonguss is going straight to OU for october. Anyone that has played DW before should know why.

1. Regenerator

Anyone here tried out Vital Spirit Electabuzz to counter the Alomomola/Amoonguss.

Does Super Effective Dmg to Alomomola and is immune to sleep

It's no slouch either, with base 95 SpA & base 105 Speed.

It can run a lot of items/set I have a tough time picking, Evolite, Air balloon, Choice items, Life Orb... etc

I'm leaning towards a choice scarf set for the added bonus of revenging most pokemon in the tier.

While electabuzz makes a decent switch in to Amoongus (due to vital spirit), it really doesn't hit it very hard, especially with a scarf. Basically any damage done with HP ice can be recovered with regenerator. Not to mention it outright beats Elactabuzz 1v1 with a scarf.

252 SpA Timid Electabuzz HP ice vs. 252/0 Bold Amoongus: 34.26-40.74% (3-4 hits to KO with lefties)

116 SpA Bold Amoonguss Giga Drain vs. 4/0 Timid Electabuzz: 34.19-40.07% (3 hits to KO)

So basically you can switch in to take the spore, only to get killed by giga drain if you stay in.

^ Fair enough

Although I Was thinking about running Psychic on Electabuzz as it's other attacking options besides Bolt/beam are focus blast & Signal beam.

Which would do a little bit extra damage

Although my calculations say it would do around

44.4% - 52.3% With a timid nature
48.6% - 57.4% With a Modest nature

Still not a clean 2HKO unless rocks are up.

Well a modest nature is probably a bad thing, because you don't want to be outsped by scarfed 85's, so timid is the way to go. The problem is though, you have to take a couple Giga Drains, alon with lefties recovery, meaning it's probably more like a 3-4hko, although im on my phone so I can't calc (unless someone knows of a mobile damage calc, which I would be forever greatfull for).

Nevertheless, I'm not trying to discourage you from using it, a I think it's a good mon in NU. Just giving my (hopefully) helpful opinion

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Amoonguss is no Gastrodon; I don't see it jumping straight to OU in one round. Although, it probably will be leaving us.
You are right, Amoonguss is no gastrodon. Amoonguss is waaay better than gastrodon in -any- tier (excluding maybe ubers but who cares) so it will go to ou 100% sure in the next tier shift

@rh2012

Electbuzz's base speed is 105, Electavire's is 95.

A modest Electabuzz will only be outsped by timid/jolly base 95 speed pokemon.

The most common ones in the tier being Haunter, Sawsbuck and Leafeon

I can agree with Electabuzz not 2HKO-ing Amoonguss after lefties & gigadrain though.

Electabuzz does quite well with Psychic and Thunderbolt, and can put either Thunder Wave or Barrier to good use. For a third attacking move, Signal Beam will generally outclass Hidden Power Ice, as the only opponent Hidden Power Ice can handle better is Altaria, while Signal Beam covers the multitude of Grass and Psychic-types, as well as the chance to confuse putting it above Hidden Power against Zweilous.

@DestinyUnknown:

It won't make it out of RU, even there it has to go up against Gallade, Entei, and Magmortar.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
@DestinyUnknown:

It won't make it out of RU, even there it has to go up against Gallade, Entei, and Magmortar.
It doesn't matter how much usage it gets in RU. I don't play OU that much, but I do know that Amoonguss is amazing there and helps check a lot of threats. If it gets a lot of usage in OU, then it will move up to OU.

You are right, Amoonguss is no gastrodon. Amoonguss is waaay better than gastrodon in -any- tier (excluding maybe ubers but who cares) so it will go to ou 100% sure in the next tier shift
Agreeing.

Gastrodon just sucks, and is a niche counter to rain teams packing Thunderus, who got booted to Ubers. I'm shocked it's still OU when Vaporeon can do the whole Water Immunity better, and can actually do other things, like Roar shuffle, Wish, actually attack... and isn't deadweight against teams not packing Rain... and dosen't die the instant a Grass Knot is fired.

Amoongus isn't set-up bait due to clear smog, and if he gets in, something's out of the game because Spore is a broken move. Not to mention it also ruins the day of sand teams, because bulky grass.

Amooungus will jump up to OU. I don't agree with it being there, since it's still a niche counter to rain in the end, it's just a less deadweight against anything else one than Gastrodon. UU and RU can ignore it, it'll still jump to OU.

It doesn't matter how much usage it gets in RU. I don't play OU that much, but I do know that Amoonguss is amazing there and helps check a lot of threats. If it gets a lot of usage in OU, then it will move up to OU.
I don't foresee much use. It may be able to stop setup attempts with Spore and Clear Smog, but it has a pitiful 30 speed, outpaced by resident snail Conkeldurr.

Also, its defenses, even with a good 114 base HP, are vastly inferior to CeleTran cores, and its typing pits it against super-effective STAB from Latias, Latios, and Infernape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)