np: ORAS OU Suspect Process, Round 3 - Wandering Ghosts [Aegislash remains in Ubers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
fat alfalfa said blah blah
~Princess Trace: Randomly getting to live a move ruins any chance any strategy has of success. It subtracts from the meta game.
~Princess Trace: It's the reason we don't allow King's Rock or Brightpowder or Quick Claw.

Like i said, if you dont like 50-50s, ban twave
as for your actual post, It checks top threats, which means we dont need shitty mons to check things. For altaria, it frees up teambuilding a lot. Name one counter to altaria. Wait, you can't. Because it's very good. So aegi/ makes the meta healthier, not more broken

After a almost a year gone, Aegi is being suspected. See, I really fangirl'ed Aegi to come back to OU (I joined a few months before aegi was banned, you see.) but now going into deeper thought about it i can see why it wouldn't be that welcoming to OU. It has gained checks and counters since it left the stage, some like Sashgar (and full hp lo gar in some cases), MSab, MPedo, MGallade (it sd's on the switchin and KO's with Knock off. Sadly, it cant ko without rocks if max defense investment) MLop, etc. Sadly, Aegi's presence is still too overwhelming. MMeta will probably be mid A rank, a whole bunch of mons will lose viability (MGarde, Rachi, and the others) and it just checks so much shit.

I dont want it back just because it will make the meta shittier then it is already. dont wanna type much because it really didnt change that much, in fact it checks more then it did in XY.
How is Mega Gallade a check to Aegislash at all? Mega Gallade can never switch due to STAB Shadow Ball, and it cannot even beat Aegislash without getting to +2 which a smart Aegislash player will usually be able to get around, even if you try setting up on it during the King's Shield.

fat alfalfa said blah blah
~Princess Trace: Randomly getting to live a move ruins any chance any strategy has of success. It subtracts from the meta game.
~Princess Trace: It's the reason we don't allow King's Rock or Brightpowder or Quick Claw.

Like i said, if you dont like 50-50s, ban twave
as for your actual post, It checks top threats, which means we dont need shitty mons to check things. For altaria, it frees up teambuilding a lot. Name one counter to altaria. Wait, you can't. Because it's very good. So aegi/ makes the meta healthier, not more broken
If you recall during the Aegislash era, there were numerous shitty Pokemon that were viable only because of Aegislash, such as Krookodile, Umbreon, and AV Meloetta. So technically speaking, these "shitty mons" are only going to replaced with other shitty mons directed at checking Aegislash.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Uh I can name much more than that depending on the set. If you're saying mega altaria is overcentralizing and you want to reintroduce aegislash to check it, that's called using something broken to check something broken. If you believe mega altaria is broken then why aren't we suspecting it?
Assuming Aegislash is broken in the first place or that Altaria is broken. Remember, Aegislash barely got banned and it's not like people are clamoring for a Mega Altaria suspect.

If you recall during the Aegislash era, there were numerous shitty Pokemon that were viable only because of Aegislash, such as Krookodile, Umbreon, and AV Meloetta. So technically speaking, these "shitty mons" are only going to replaced with other shitty mons directed at checking Aegislash.
There are always going to be shitty Pokemon that are ranked to deal with top-tier threats, and as I've said before there are still a ton of highly ranked Aegislash answers running around.

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
None of those Pokemon are as centralizing as Aegislash. Aegislash controls teambuilding to requiring at least 2-4 team slots to be dedicated towards being able to handle Aegislash. Umbreon suffers for more reasons than just Mega Altaria / Mega Lopunny, since many of the roles it can play are not worth meriting any form of usage in OU, except for checking Aegislash.
What are you talking about, I run my regular team which has a mandibuzz and it's super fine. Even Hydregion works. Plus revenge killng aegi is super easy. Stop complaining and turn up. #AEGI2015

Ok... Lets start this.

Aegislash. Yes. It's a really good pokemon. Yes. It can run different sets. (too much diversity qwergqeg)

A lot of people are complaining that Aegislash kill poor souls like Diancie and Gardevoir who are obliterated by steel types like Aegislash... and Mega Metagross...

Also, for those saying Lopunny can't take care of Aegislash:

Turn 1:
Switch out, Metagross, come back! Go, Lopunny!
The opponents Aegislash used King's Shield.
Turn 2:
Lopunny used Fake Out.
Aegislash flinched.
Turn 3:
Lopunny used Fake Out. It failed.
Aegislash used King's Shield.
Turn 4:
Aegislash used Shadow Sneak.
Lopunny used HJK.
Aegislash died in the depths of hell.

Easy.

Also, people seem to be saying Aegislash makes Landorus OP. When predict an incoming earthquake on your Aegislash, you switch into Landorus :O What is this madness! Switching out on a super effective move into someone who is immune to it? Next thing you know you'll have fairies switching into Outrages and poison types switching into dark types predicting Psychics!
Seriously.

Now. Here's a solution to that situation. Diggersby. Bruh. Diggersby gets STAB EQ and Ice Punch. Need I say more? (And knock off, and normal moves to stuff with KS)

People are saying a lot of situational pokemon will drop to lower tiers. Boo hoo. Why keep a potentially good mon banned so you can use some random not as good should-be-in RU mon?

Anyway, I think this will freshen the meta a bit. Hope you all make the right decision.

Wasn't really broken, just really limits the meta game. I don't really have anything to add but as others said, limits team building, ORAS was already getting adapted to the way it is, and adding aegi back in screws basically everything everyone has gotten used to when laddering. Sure, changes everything and "adds more flavor", but forces most teams to get changed with 3-4 counters. I see how everyone is over reacting, but after like a week people will *most likely* get bored of it and the whole tier'll probably revert to was it was with a few aegis here and there. Its always the first few days that screw people up. What the ****, I'm down with it.

Oh I think it is too. Let's ban things for the right reason though.

As an aside, has their ever been any consideration by the council to announce the suspect but not open up a discussion for it til, let's say, 2 days have past? That way the discussion is not all theory and people are actually encouraged to play the ladder for a few days before they make up their minds. This way we can get a discussion that is based on solid replays and evidence and not just theory.
i do agree that everyone should stop complaining and just try it out. *tear i just went all out theory

Ok... Lets start this.

Aegislash. Yes. It's a really good pokemon. Yes. It can run different sets. (too much diversity qwergqeg)

A lot of people are complaining that Aegislash kill poor souls like Diancie and Gardevoir who are obliterated by steel types like Aegislash... and Mega Metagross...

Turn 1:
Turn 2:
Lopunny used Fake Out.
Aegislash flinched.
Turn 3:
Turn 4:
Lopunny used HJK.

Easy.

Also, people seem to be saying Aegislash makes Landorus OP. When predict an incoming earthquake on your Aegislash, you switch into Landorus :O What is this madness! Switching out on a super effective move into someone who is immune to it? Next thing you know you'll have fairies switching into Outrages and poison types switching into dark types predicting Psychics!
Seriously.

Now. Here's a solution to that situation. Diggersby. Bruh. Diggersby gets STAB EQ and Ice Punch. Need I say more? (And knock off, and normal moves to stuff with KS)

People are saying a lot of situational pokemon will drop to lower tiers. Boo hoo. Why keep a potentially good mon banned so you can use some random not as good should-be-in RU mon?

Anyway, I think this will freshen the meta a bit. Hope you all make the right decision.

:( The spoiler didnt work

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
I think due to how much of a close ban Aegi was, retesting it is justified...
What are you talking about, I run my regular team which has a mandibuzz and it's super fine. Even Hydregion works. Plus revenge killng aegi is super easy. Stop complaining and turn up. #AEGI2015
Even if rking Aegislash is that easy, there is a problem when it is granted to take a mon every game and greatly increase usage of mons that, while they all have their own merits, it must be admited that these mons have an increase in usage mainly or solely because of Aegislash, and imo, that's not healthy. I should try the ladder before I put more thoughts tho.

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
I think due to how much of a close ban Aegi was, retesting it is justified...

Even if rking Aegislash is that easy, there is a problem when it is granted to take a mon every game and greatly increase usage of mons that, while they all have their own merits, it must be admited that these mons have an increase in usage mainly or solely because of Aegislash, and imo, that's not healthy. I should try the ladder before I put more thoughts tho.
you should DEFINITELY ladder before talking. This new ladder is amazing

Ok... Lets start this.

Turn 1:
Turn 2:
Lopunny used Fake Out.
Aegislash flinched.
Turn 3:
Turn 4:
Lopunny used HJK.

Easy.

Seriously.

So, here's another scenario for Lopunny:
The opponent's Aegislash used Sacred Sword.

Turn 2:
Aegislash used King's Shield
Lopunny lost half its attack, and a switch in opportunity was created

Prediction is never an argument for either side because it goes both ways, and when people complain about pairing it with Landorus, the issue isn't that a good mon was paired with another good mon. The issue is that Landorus-I in particulary is borderline broken monster in particular, and many of the good checks to it aren't simply beaten by Aegislash; they're made borderline irrelevant. It has nothing to do with smart switching. And, as others have mentioned, killing Aegislash 1v1 is not an issue. It was never an issue.

you should DEFINITELY ladder before talking. This new ladder is amazing
The new ladder isn't 12 hours old. How can it possible be a proper reflection of a stable meta?

Turn 1:
Turn 2:
Lopunny used Fake Out.
Aegislash flinched.
Turn 3:
Turn 4:
Lopunny used HJK.
If you're going to use hypothetical situations like this to make an argument, you might want to make sure it's actually reflective of high level play, since only an idiot would use Shadow Sneak against a Normal-type.

Ok... Lets start this.

Turn 1:
Turn 2:
Lopunny used Fake Out.
Aegislash flinched.
Turn 3:
Turn 4:
Lopunny used HJK.

Easy.

Seriously.

Diggersby is significantly slower than Lando-I, so he ain't doing much to stop that core. And if he uses a Scarf, Aegis scouts his move with KS. Earthquake, go to Lando. Anything else, stick with Slash.

Also the EQ immunity isn't the only reason. Aegislash and Lando-I are both extremely powerful attackers, and Aegislash's bulk makes him resilient, while typing allows him to outright counter a lot of Pokemon that Lando-I likes eliminated, like Cresselia, the Latis, Metagross, every Fairy in OU, Gengar, on top of absorbing Lando's weakness to Ice. The other problem is that Aegislash is capable of playing both a powerful offensive AND defensive component to a core sufficiently, offensively wearing out or destroying your Win Condition's counters while more than capable of soaking up blows in the process with 13 resistances and immunities. Landorus-I is already a Pokemon many people want a suspect for, so adding a Pokemon that makes his job significantly easier is not helping anything.

Your Lopunny scenario is also very off. Why would a player be running both Metagross and Lopunny if the two need their Megas to function WITHOUT him, much less with him around? Second, why would Aegislash KS on the first turn? He beats Metagross since he takes the hit in Shield Forme.
252 Atk Mega Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 168-198 (51.8 - 61.1%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 294-348 (97.6 - 115.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

So Lopunny still gets in, but Aegislash isn't on King's Shield cooldown. King's Shield is +4 priority, Fake Out is +3, so now the match up is a gamble in Aegislash's favor for any Lopunny set besides Sub-PuP or Sub Drain Punch sets. If Lopunny suffers a -2 from Fake Out, Aegislash can 2HKO her with Sacred Sword, Iron Head, or Flash Cannon to say nothing of if she crashes from HJK as well. And if it's SubToxic Aegislash, then Lopunny's outright fucked with Aegis forming a Sub on her switch-in.

The effect you describe with drops is the opposite. The Lati's, Celebi, and Jirachi were no where to be seen during Aegislash's era, and they've been pretty notable threats ever since Gen 4 at least. Hell, Starmie, OU since Gen 1, dropped to UU because of Slash neutering Psychics, not to mention Terrakion and god knows how many mons with otherwise sufficient coverage needing Earthquake for that one sword. Meanwhile, Pokemon like Meloetta and Krookodile "should-be-in RU mons", were getting ranks and discussion solely because they could check (not counter, check) Aegislash. It's the same as Arcanine and Weezing getting ranked in Mega Mawile's stint. Present some realistic proof of not-OU-but-should-be mons that would become OU with Aegislash; then, explain why making them viable at the expense of half of the current tier is a fair trade off.

First, I don't have much experience with OU, although I play it once in a while now. Aegislash is almost entirely prediction based. Whether or not you choose to king's shield or attack, or if you set up or just attack. First of all, Aegislash can be stopped simply by a Hydreigon dark pulse, or any non physical attacker. And even so, with the right plays you can stop it with a physical attacker. And for those who feel Aegislash has too much diverseness, being able to solidly run tanky setup, special sweeper, and physical sweeper, it still relies way too much on prediction and good plays. If you make one wrong play such as staying in blade mode to get off another attack instead of king's Shielding, then you get blown up by a super effective hit. If you take just a really powerful move even in shield mode, you still go down pretty fast. You could always do the basic simple plays like attack turn 1, maybe have a weakness policy proc, and throw out an attack. Then turn 2 King's Shield. Since it is so predictable it doesnt make beating aegislash hard unless you make plays, and if you do make plays, you have a high chance of going down easily anway. I know that I said plays so many times in this, but that is Aegislash. Whether you make them or not, it is very easy to take down due to the pure fact of high risk, high reward. So I say #ReviveTheSword

>Attack
>Tap King's Shield
>Repeat

If you believe that's how to use an Aegislash, then how is it hard to predict? If you are versing an unskilled player that uses moves in that order, it is very easy to work around. A good Aegislash user would mix it up, attacking when you think it will shield. Also, I you say it's a 50/50 chance of a player shielding or attacking, think about this situation:

I have a Mega Sceptile in red health. I'm versing a Bisharp with sucker punch. I outspeed Bisharp, so if I use an attack I can kill, but if he uses sucker punch on the turn I attack it's all over. I have to use substitute on the turns I predict him to use sucker punch. Eventually I will have to attack and so will he.

That's the same type of prediction that happens with Aegislash. So I don't understand how you can think Aegi play is not skill related.
This is even worse then lol
First of all, I can't see how more skill based is such a low risk pokemon. With its bulk AND loads of resistances, the only moment you're at disadvantage is vs types you're weak to, as even Aegi-Blade is gonna live some hits if not x2.
Second this is just one counterargument to all the ones brought up by meand other people on this topic, and it's not even a good one as I showed you

Ok... Lets start this.

Turn 1:
Turn 2:
Lopunny used Fake Out.
Aegislash flinched.
Turn 3:
Turn 4:
Lopunny used HJK.

Easy.

Seriously.

One the second Fake Out, Aegislash use Sacred Sword instead, whelp so much for the bunny. Hell, with no investment in attack it is even still doing 78.9-92.9%. Diggersby also needs to be careful about Sacred Sword. This is where the problem lies, a pokemon CAN take out Aegislash, but majority of the time, Aegislash can just as easily take it out. :/

Ok... Lets start this.

Turn 1:
Turn 2:
Lopunny used Fake Out.
Aegislash flinched.
Turn 3:
Turn 4:
Lopunny used HJK.

Easy.

Seriously.

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 236-282 (72.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 194-230 (71.5 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
sure you beat it 1v1 and lol max defense aegis but w.e
if anybody runs max defense you're taking at least 70% and idk about you but that ain't a number i like to see taken off my health bar when im "checking" a mon.
also pharaohcalvin brings up a good point in that Aegis can play around it just as well as Mega Bunny can. There are a billion ways that situation could go. Not just one linear straight forward "lol mega bunny beats aegis 100% of the time!!" because it really doesnt
sure you also have subtitute sets etc. etc. but really man lol

Diggersby is significantly slower than Lando-I, so he ain't doing much to stop that core. And if he uses a Scarf, Aegis scouts his move with KS. Earthquake, go to Lando. Anything else, stick with Slash.

Also the EQ immunity isn't the only reason. Aegislash and Lando-I are both extremely powerful attackers, and Aegislash's bulk makes him resilient, while typing allows him to outright counter a lot of Pokemon that Lando-I likes eliminated, like Cresselia, the Latis, Metagross, every Fairy in OU, Gengar, on top of absorbing Lando's weakness to Ice. The other problem is that Aegislash is capable of playing both a powerful offensive AND defensive component to a core sufficiently, offensively wearing out or destroying your Win Condition's counters while more than capable of soaking up blows in the process with 13 resistances and immunities. Landorus-I is already a Pokemon many people want a suspect for, so adding a Pokemon that makes his job significantly easier is not helping anything.

Your Lopunny scenario is also very off. Why would a player be running both Metagross and Lopunny if the two need their Megas to function WITHOUT him, much less with him around? Second, why would Aegislash KS on the first turn? He beats Metagross since he takes the hit in Shield Forme.
252 Atk Mega Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 168-198 (51.8 - 61.1%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 294-348 (97.6 - 115.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

So Lopunny still gets in, but Aegislash isn't on King's Shield cooldown. King's Shield is +4 priority, Fake Out is +3, so now the match up is a gamble in Aegislash's favor for any Lopunny set besides Sub-PuP or Sub Drain Punch sets. If Lopunny suffers a -2 from Fake Out, Aegislash can 2HKO her with Sacred Sword, Iron Head, or Flash Cannon to say nothing of if she crashes from HJK as well. And if it's SubToxic Aegislash, then Lopunny's outright fucked with Aegis forming a Sub on her switch-in.

The effect you describe with drops is the opposite. The Lati's, Celebi, and Jirachi were no where to be seen during Aegislash's era, and they've been pretty notable threats ever since Gen 4 at least. Hell, Starmie, OU since Gen 1, dropped to UU because of Slash neutering Psychics, not to mention Terrakion and god knows how many mons with otherwise sufficient coverage needing Earthquake for that one sword. Meanwhile, Pokemon like Meloetta and Krookodile "should-be-in RU mons", were getting ranks and discussion solely because they could check (not counter, check) Aegislash. It's the same as Arcanine and Weezing getting ranked in Mega Mawile's stint. Present some realistic proof of not-OU-but-should-be mons that would become OU with Aegislash; then, explain why making them viable at the expense of half of the current tier is a fair trade off.
I know that Aegi and Lando are both strong and Diggersby is slow. All I'm saying is that a simple prediction of a switch would wreck your opponents team.

Plus me using Metagross was just an example. It could of been any pokemon. I can't believe you tried to pull that apart to discredit my argument. :P

To be honest, I don't believe you can straight out say a pokemon is good or not. They all have their counters. What I was saying in my "should-be-in RU mon" was not saying that the Latis' should be RU (lol) but the point is what is in a tier defines the tier. Say grass was a predominant type in OU, a lot of teams would be made to work in synergy with grass types, or counter them. What I'm trying to say that I believe Aegi would make the game more balanced and thats just my opinion. I'm not saying you have to agree, but that's what I believe. And that's why I say that some pokemon should be in higher/lower tiers. To be honest, I think the current OU tier is very good balance wise. I think aegi will help make it more interesting.

This is even worse then lol
First of all, I can't see how more skill based is such a low risk pokemon. With its bulk AND loads of resistances, the only moment you're at disadvantage is vs types you're weak to, as even Aegi-Blade is gonna live some hits if not x2.
Second this is just one counterargument to all the ones brought up by meand other people on this topic, and it's not even a good one as I showed you
You don't have alot of bulk when you're in sword form. One wrong prediction there and you've lost a strong mon.

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 236-282 (72.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 194-230 (71.5 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
sure you beat it 1v1 and lol max defense aegis but w.e
if anybody runs max defense you're taking at least 70% and idk about you but that ain't a number i like to see taken off my health bar when im "checking" a mon.
also pharaohcalvin brings up a good point in that Aegis can play around it just as well as Mega Bunny can. There are a billion ways that situation could go. Not just one linear straight forward "lol mega bunny beats aegis 100% of the time!!" because it really doesnt
sure you also have subtitute sets etc. etc. but really man lol
Nothing is a complete straight up counter. All I'm saying is in most situations this is how things can play out. Plus, Lopunny is frail as anything so 70% isn't that surprising. Also, what Aegislash runs max defence? Stall sets? Do they even run Scared Sword? Actual genuine questions.

If you're going to use hypothetical situations like this to make an argument, you might want to make sure it's actually reflective of high level play, since only an idiot would use Shadow Sneak against a Normal-type.
Ok then. Say he goes for a double KS and fails. It's the same idea. That's not the point.

So, here's another scenario for Lopunny:
The opponent's Aegislash used Sacred Sword.

Turn 2:
Aegislash used King's Shield
Lopunny lost half its attack, and a switch in opportunity was created

Prediction is never an argument for either side because it goes both ways, and when people complain about pairing it with Landorus, the issue isn't that a good mon was paired with another good mon. The issue is that Landorus-I in particulary is borderline broken monster in particular, and many of the good checks to it aren't simply beaten by Aegislash; they're made borderline irrelevant. It has nothing to do with smart switching. And, as others have mentioned, killing Aegislash 1v1 is not an issue. It was never an issue.

The new ladder isn't 12 hours old. How can it possible be a proper reflection of a stable meta?
This is a strategy game. Prediction is everything. All I'm saying is that a few good plays will give you the advantage in any situation. Aegislash is all about mind games and prediction. Is that a bad thing?

OK I'm honestly getting bad vibes from this. Superglue coming back to OU will definitely restrict team building to a point where every core has to be devoted to work around him or have forced synergy to work on aegis with 2 members like it was on its era.

This guy blanket checks too much by just existing to be left in the OU tier, I'm starting to feel this suspect will be decided on bandwagoners vs team builders.

Now off to test the ladder with a team of 3 checks to it plus a slow volturner for mega altaria and see how this goes.

This is a strategy game. Prediction is everything. All I'm saying is that a few good plays will give you the advantage in any situation. Aegislash is all about mind games and prediction. Is that a bad thing?
It is when it wraps the meta around him. It's just his presence putting down several things from being viable due to its superglue pivot abilities.

One the second Fake Out, Aegislash use Sacred Sword instead, whelp so much for the bunny. Hell, with no investment in attack it is even still doing 78.9-92.9%. Diggersby also needs to be careful about Sacred Sword. This is where the problem lies, a pokemon CAN take out Aegislash, but majority of the time, Aegislash can just as easily take it out. :/
I know. It's all about predicting your opponent. That's how this would work in any situation, not just with Aegislash. It's just as risky for either pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)